Summary: Social media model for enabling public involvement and recruitment in participation. Use of social media to collect feedback and recruit volunteer subjects.
- Khare R, Good B, Leaman R, Su A, Lu Z. Crowdsourcing in biomedicine: challenges and opportunities. Brief Bioinform. 2016;17:23-32 pubmed publisherThe use of crowdsourcing to solve important but complex problems in biomedical and clinical sciences is growing and encompasses a wide variety of approaches...
- Correll M, Gleicher M. Error Bars Considered Harmful: Exploring Alternate Encodings for Mean and Error. IEEE Trans Vis Comput Graph. 2014;20:2142-51 pubmed publisher..We suggest the use of gradient plots (which use transparency to encode uncertainty) and violin plots (which use width) as better alternatives for inferential tasks than bar charts with error bars. ..
- Alexander N, Palczewski K. Crowd sourcing difficult problems in protein science. Protein Sci. 2017;26:2118-2125 pubmed publisher..Designing engaging volunteer computing projects is challenging but can result in high-quality solutions. Here, we highlight four examples. ..
- Matthews G, Thiruvathukal G, Luetkemeier M, Brophy J. Examining the use of Amazon's Mechanical Turk for edge extraction of the occlusal surface of fossilized bovid teeth. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179757 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that crowdsourcing the digitization process is reliable and replicable...
- Baldassano S, Brinkmann B, UNG H, Blevins T, Conrad E, Leyde K, et al. Crowdsourcing seizure detection: algorithm development and validation on human implanted device recordings. Brain. 2017;140:1680-1691 pubmed publisher..The success of this competition demonstrates how sharing code and high quality data results in the creation of powerful translational tools with significant potential to impact patient care. ..
- Yank V, Agarwal S, Loftus P, Asch S, Rehkopf D. Crowdsourced Health Data: Comparability to a US National Survey, 2013-2015. Am J Public Health. 2017;107:1283-1289 pubmed publisher..Using the world's largest crowdsourcing platform in 2015, we collected data on characteristics known to influence cardiovascular disease risk and ..
- Morris V, Amlung M, Kaplan B, Reed D, Petker T, MacKillop J. Using crowdsourcing to examine behavioral economic measures of alcohol value and proportionate alcohol reinforcement. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2017;25:314-321 pubmed publisherOnline crowdsourcing websites such as Amazon's Mechanical Turk (MTurk) are increasingly being used in addictions research...
- Talikka M, Bukharov N, Hayes W, Hofmann Apitius M, Alexopoulos L, Peitsch M, et al. Novel approaches to develop community-built biological network models for potential drug discovery. Expert Opin Drug Discov. 2017;12:849-857 pubmed publisher..b>Crowdsourcing can be employed to guarantee the accuracy and transparency of the biological content underlining the tools ..
- Aungst H, Fishman J, McGowan M. Participatory Genomic Research: Ethical Issues from the Bottom Up to the Top Down. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet. 2017;18:357-367 pubmed publisher..With foundations as varied as open science, crowdsourcing, patient advocacy, social media, the digitization of health, and the neoliberalization of academic research, a ..
- Candido dos Reis F, Lynn S, Ali H, Eccles D, Hanby A, Provenzano E, et al. Crowdsourcing the General Public for Large Scale Molecular Pathology Studies in Cancer. EBioMedicine. 2015;2:681-9 pubmed publisher..7 (95% CI 4.1 to 10.9) years of follow-up for ER scored by pathologists. Crowdsourcing of the general public to classify cancer pathology data for research is viable, engages the public and ..
- Mazzaferro D, Wes A, Naran S, Pearl R, Bartlett S, Taylor J. Orthognathic Surgery Has a Significant Effect on Perceived Personality Traits and Emotional Expressions. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017;140:971-981 pubmed publisher..The authors used Amazon.com's Mechanical Turk (MTurk), a crowdsourcing tool, to determine how preoperative and postoperative images of orthognathic surgery patients were perceived ..
- Williams H, McOwan P. The magic words: Using computers to uncover mental associations for use in magic trick design. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181877 pubmed publisher..A new trick is developed and evaluated: a physical card trick partially designed by a computational system configured to search for and explore conceptual spaces readily understood by spectators. ..
- Kittrie E, Atienza A, Kiley R, Carr D, MacFarlane A, PAI V, et al. Developing international open science collaborations: Funder reflections on the Open Science Prize. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2002617 pubmed publisherThe Open Science Prize was established with the following objectives: first, to encourage the crowdsourcing of open data to make breakthroughs that are of biomedical significance; second, to illustrate that funders can indeed work ..
- Della Mea V, Maddalena E, Mizzaro S, Machin P, Beltrami C. Preliminary results from a crowdsourcing experiment in immunohistochemistry. Diagn Pathol. 2014;9 Suppl 1:S6 pubmed publisherb>Crowdsourcing, i.e...