Summary: Systematic gathering of data for a particular purpose from various sources, including questionnaires, interviews, observation, existing records, and electronic devices. The process is usually preliminary to statistical analysis of the data.
- Curtis A, Blackburn J, Widmer J, Morris J. A ubiquitous method for street scale spatial data collection and analysis in challenging urban environments: mapping health risks using spatial video in Haiti. Int J Health Geogr. 2013;12:21 pubmed publisher..This paper offers a ubiquitous spatial data collection approach using a spatial video that can be used to improve analysis and involve participatory collaborations...
- Jones K, Ford D, Jones P, John A, Middleton R, Lockhart Jones H, et al. The physical and psychological impact of multiple sclerosis using the MSIS-29 via the web portal of the UK MS Register. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e55422 pubmed publisher..These results underline the importance of using a scale such as this to monitor disability levels regularly in guiding MS care to enable people to be as active as possible. ..
- Tavares Da Silva F, De Keyser F, Lambert P, Robinson W, Westhovens R, Sindic C. Optimal approaches to data collection and analysis of potential immune mediated disorders in clinical trials of new vaccines. Vaccine. 2013;31:1870-6 pubmed publisher..The role of the study investigator in prospective, standardised safety data collection is key and can be facilitated by providing a pIMD list in study documents and disease-specific standard ..
- Hendriks M, Al M, Bleijlevens M, van Haastregt J, Crebolder H, van Eijk J, et al. Continuous versus intermittent data collection of health care utilization. Med Decis Making. 2013;33:998-1008 pubmed publisher..e., in at least 3 months a year). However, comparability of intermittent v. continuous data collection is unknown...
- Sanjoaquin M, Allain T, Molyneux M, Benjamin L, Everett D, Gadabu O, et al. Surveillance Programme of IN-patients and Epidemiology (SPINE): implementation of an electronic data collection tool within a large hospital in Malawi. PLoS Med. 2013;10:e1001400 pubmed publisher..Miguel Sanjoaquin and colleagues describe their experience of setting up an electronic patient records system in a large referral hospital in Blantyre, Malawi. ..
- Schroll J, Bero L, Gøtzsche P. Searching for unpublished data for Cochrane reviews: cross sectional study. BMJ. 2013;346:f2231 pubmed publisher..Our response rate was low and the authors who did not respond were probably less likely to have searched for unpublished data. Manufacturers and regulatory agencies were uncommon sources of unpublished data. ..
- Kyte D, Draper H, Ives J, Liles C, Gheorghe A, Calvert M. Patient reported outcomes (PROs) in clinical trials: is 'in-trial' guidance lacking? a systematic review. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e60684 pubmed publisher..However, researchers involved in PRO data collection report that specific guidance on 'in-trial' activity (recruitment, data collection and data inputting) and ..
- Xu Y, Wang L, He J, Bi Y, Li M, Wang T, et al. Prevalence and control of diabetes in Chinese adults. JAMA. 2013;310:948-59 pubmed publisher..9 million Chinese adults with diabetes and 493.4 million with prediabetes. These findings indicate the importance of diabetes as a public health problem in China. ..
- Moggy M, Pajor E, Thurston W, Parker S, Greter A, Schwartzkopf Genswein K, et al. Attitudes of western Canadian cow-calf producers towards the Code of Practice for the Care and Handling of Beef Cattle. Can Vet J. 2017;58:1209-1211 pubmed..Most respondents had not read the COPB. Of those familiar with the COPB, most agreed with it, but it did not have a major influence on their decisions...
- Peterson L, Carek P, Holmboe E, Puffer J, Warm E, Phillips R. Medical specialty boards can help measure graduate medical education outcomes. Acad Med. 2014;89:840-2 pubmed publisher..ABMS member boards and the ACGME should broaden their long-standing relationship to further develop shared roles and data-sharing mechanisms to better inform residencies and the public about GME training outcomes. ..
- Geulayov G, Kapur N, Turnbull P, Clements C, Waters K, Ness J, et al. Epidemiology and trends in non-fatal self-harm in three centres in England, 2000-2012: findings from the Multicentre Study of Self-harm in England. BMJ Open. 2016;6:e010538 pubmed publisher..Despite national guidance, many patients still do not receive psychosocial assessment, especially those who self-injure. ..
- Hargreaves J, Fearon E, Davey C, Phillips A, Cambiano V, Cowan F. Statistical design and analysis plan for an impact evaluation of an HIV treatment and prevention intervention for female sex workers in Zimbabwe: a study protocol for a cluster randomised controlled trial. Trials. 2016;17:6 pubmed publisher..The trial was registered at Pan African Clinical Trials Registry (PACTR201312000722390) on 9 December 2013. ..
- Mayer SchÃ¶nberger V. Big Data for cardiology: novel discovery?. Eur Heart J. 2016;37:996-1001 pubmed publisher..Big Data in cardiology changes how new insights are being discovered. For it to flourish, significant modifications in the methods, structures, and institutions of the profession are necessary. ..
- Ghomraoui F, Alfaqeeh F, Algadheeb A, Al Alsheikh A, Al Hamoudi W, Alswat K. Medical students' awareness of and compliance with the hepatitis B vaccine in a tertiary care academic hospital: An epidemiological study. J Infect Public Health. 2016;9:60-5 pubmed publisher..We also suggest that a mandatory HBV vaccination program should be implemented to improve the compliance rate among medical students. ..
- Naumann D, Vincent L, Pearson N, Beaven A, Smith I, Smith K, et al. An adapted Clavien-Dindo scoring system in trauma as a clinically meaningful nonmortality endpoint. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017;83:241-248 pubmed publisher..It provides clinically meaningful data for morbidity and mortality meetings and other quality improvement exercises. Prognostic, level IV. ..
- ..4. Differences between qualitative and quantitative approaches. 5. Mixed methods incorporating quantitative research. And in conclusion: 6. The importance of establishing an epistemological perspective in qualitative research. ..
- Singh U, Ueranantasun A, Kuning M. Factors associated with low birth weight in Nepal using multiple imputation. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017;17:67 pubmed publisher..The findings of this study suggested that obtaining the prevalence of LBW from only the sample of measured birth weight and ignoring missing data results in underestimation. ..
- Lencioni A, Hutchins L, Annis S, Chen W, Ermisoglu E, Feng Z, et al. An adverse event capture and management system for cancer studies. BMC Bioinformatics. 2015;16 Suppl 13:S6 pubmed publisher..This type of standard integrated into the EHR aids in research and data sharing in a compliant, efficient, and safe manner. ..
- Turvey C, Klein D, FIX G, Hogan T, Woods S, Simon S, et al. Blue Button use by patients to access and share health record information using the Department of Veterans Affairs' online patient portal. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2014;21:657-63 pubmed publisher..Educational efforts are needed to raise awareness of the Blue Button and to address usability issues that hinder adoption. ..
- Leider J, Resnick B, Kass N, Sellers K, Young J, Bernet P, et al. Budget- and priority-setting criteria at state health agencies in times of austerity: a mixed-methods study. Am J Public Health. 2014;104:1092-9 pubmed publisher..These criteria suggested a focus and interest on core public health and the largest public health problems with the most serious ramifications. ..
- Eames K, Bansal S, Frost S, Riley S. Six challenges in measuring contact networks for use in modelling. Epidemics. 2015;10:72-7 pubmed publisher..New avenues for data collection in recent years have afforded us the opportunity to collect individual- and population-scale information to ..
- Ziemssen T, Kern R, Thomas K. Multiple sclerosis: clinical profiling and data collection as prerequisite for personalized medicine approach. BMC Neurol. 2016;16:124 pubmed publisher..Major breakthroughs in the areas of bioinformatics and computational systems biology will be required to process this complex information to enable improved personalization of treatment for MS patients. ..
- Montgomery K, Chester J, Milosevic T. Children's Privacy in the Big Data Era: Research Opportunities. Pediatrics. 2017;140:S117-S121 pubmed publisher..risks involved in sharing personal information on the Internet, leaving market forces (such as commercial data collection) as a less discussed aspect of children's privacy...
- Saad A, Bibi S, Vitish Sharma P, Goh Y, Talving P, Ponchietti L. Apps in Trauma and Emergency Surgery. Chirurgia (Bucur). 2017;112:607-610 pubmed publisher..4% aged between 35 and 54 years. Only 24.1%of respondents found the available apps extremely useful in their practice, however 75.9% of participants agreed on not being able to identify a certain good application to rely on...
- Liang J, Luo B. It was all planned … now what? Claiming agency in later life in reforming China. Ageing Soc. 2017;37:2074-2102 pubmed publisher..A grounded theory approach with semi-structured, in-depth, face-to-face interviews was used for data collection and analysis...
- Matthews G, Thiruvathukal G, Luetkemeier M, Brophy J. Examining the use of Amazon's Mechanical Turk for edge extraction of the occlusal surface of fossilized bovid teeth. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179757 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that crowdsourcing the digitization process is reliable and replicable. With the technical aspects of digitization managed, researchers can concentrate on analyzing and interpreting the data. ..
- Webb P, Kennedy E. Impacts of agriculture on nutrition: nature of the evidence and research gaps. Food Nutr Bull. 2014;35:126-32 pubmed..Planned and ongoing initiatives aimed at generating such evidence must hold themselves to high standards of both research and communication of findings to appropriate policy audiences globally. ..
- Islam M, Rahman Q, Hossain T, Connor N, Hossain B, Rahman M, et al. Using Text Messages for Critical Real-time Data Capture in the ANISA Study. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2016;35:S35-8 pubmed publisher..Our text messaging system provides an opportunity to overcome this barrier where availability of data entry facilities is limited. ..
- Al Rawajfah O, Aloush S, Hewitt J. Use of Electronic Health-Related Datasets in Nursing and Health-Related Research. West J Nurs Res. 2015;37:952-83 pubmed publisher..Advanced research skills such as using analytical softwares, advanced statistical procedures, dealing with missing data and missing variables will maximize the efficient utilization of EHRDs in research. ..
- Sargious A, Lee S. Remote collection of questionnaires. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2014;32:S-168-72 pubmed..Adapting remotely collected PROs into clinical trials, clinical care, and long-term database has the potential for restructuring medical care while reducing costs and improving quality of care to achieve disease remission. ..
- Guay P, van Dongen W, Robinson R, Blumstein D, Weston M. AvianBuffer: An interactive tool for characterising and managing wildlife fear responses. Ambio. 2016;45:841-851 pubmed..The online resource will be expanded in future iterations to include an international database of FIDs of both avian and non-avian species. ..
- Richards S, Dickens C, Anderson R, Richards D, Taylor R, Ukoumunne O, et al. Assessing the effectiveness of enhanced psychological care for patients with depressive symptoms attending cardiac rehabilitation compared with treatment as usual (CADENCE): study protocol for a pilot cluster randomised controlled trial. Trials. 2016;17:59 pubmed publisher..ISRCTN34701576 (Registered 29 May 2014). ..
- Settimi L, Orford R, Davanzo F, Hague C, Desel H, Pelclova D, et al. Development of a new categorization system for pesticides exposure to support harmonized reporting between EU Member States. Environ Int. 2016;91:332-40 pubmed publisher..However, standard rules for data collection and reporting have not yet been set out...
- Myers A, Gibbons C, Butler E, Dalton M, Buckland N, Blundell J, et al. A novel integrative procedure for identifying and integrating three-dimensions of objectively measured free-living sedentary behaviour. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:979 pubmed publisher..The novel data integration and processing procedures presented in this paper represents an opportunity to investigate whether different components of SB are differentially related to health end points. ..
- Solberg E, Borjesson M, Sharma S, Papadakis M, Wilhelm M, Drezner J, et al. Sudden cardiac arrest in sports - need for uniform registration: A Position Paper from the Sport Cardiology Section of the European Association for Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation. Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2016;23:657-67 pubmed publisher..Uniform standard registration of SCA/SCD in athletes and leisure sportsmen would be a first step towards this goal. ..
- Cooper M, Harrell M, Perry C. A Qualitative Approach to Understanding Real-World Electronic Cigarette Use: Implications for Measurement and Regulation. Prev Chronic Dis. 2016;13:E07 pubmed publisher..Results from this study have implications for developing appropriate survey metrics for e-cigarette surveillance, the regulation of flavorings, and reporting of e-cigarette product constituents. ..
- Clarke A, Chambers D, Barry M. Bridging the digital disconnect: Exploring the views of professionals on using technology to promote young people's mental health. Sch Psychol Int. 2017;38:380-397 pubmed publisher..The results highlight the potential role of technology in assisting professionals through the provision of online training, reliable information, and practical resources on the promotion of positive youth mental health...
- Drummond J, Were M, Arrossi S, Wools Kaloustian K. Cervical cancer data and data systems in limited-resource settings: Challenges and opportunities. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2017;138 Suppl 1:33-40 pubmed publisher..and donors-in promoting national, district, and community information systems; building on existing systems and processes, as well as introducing new technologies; and evolving data collection and data systems as programs advance.
- Wu S, Weng Y, Ye W, Wang L, Yan Y, Hong R, et al. [Role of syndromic surveillance program in the practice of early detection on disease outbreak]. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi. 2016;37:531-4 pubmed publisher..Compared to routine surveillance program, the syndromic surveillance program could detect the appearence of an outbreak, a month or even more earlier. The role of syndromic surveillance program needs to be further explored. ..
- Watson F. Lessons learned on approaches to data collection and analysis from a pilot study. Nurse Res. 2016;24:32-6 pubmed publisher..Implications for practice While it may not be generalised to other qualitative studies, this paper may help others undertaking studies that adopt this approach and points to the general value of pilot studies in qualitative research. ..
- Sorichetta A, Bird T, Ruktanonchai N, Zu Erbach Schoenberg E, Pezzulo C, Tejedor N, et al. Mapping internal connectivity through human migration in malaria endemic countries. Sci Data. 2016;3:160066 pubmed publisher..These connectivity datasets, described here along with the approaches and methods used to create and validate them, are available both through the WorldPop website and the WorldPop Dataverse Repository. ..
- Chełkowski T, Gloor P, Jemielniak D. Inequalities in Open Source Software Development: Analysis of Contributor's Commits in Apache Software Foundation Projects. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0152976 pubmed publisher..We also show, in the first published study of this magnitude, that the engagement of contributors is based on a power-law distribution. ..