Genomes and Genes
oncogene proteins v myb
Summary: Transforming proteins coded by myb oncogenes. Transformation of cells by v-myb in conjunction with v-ets is seen in the avian E26 leukemia virus.
- Gundelach H, Braas D, Klempnauer K. The promoter regions of the Myb-regulated Adora2B and Mcm4 genes co-localize with origins of DNA replication. BMC Mol Biol. 2007;8:75 pubmed..Our work raises the possibility that a fraction of Myb target gene promoters is associated with DNA replication origins. ..
- Tahirov T, Sato K, Ichikawa Iwata E, Sasaki M, Inoue Bungo T, Shiina M, et al. Mechanism of c-Myb-C/EBP beta cooperation from separated sites on a promoter. Cell. 2002;108:57-70 pubmed
- Braas D, Gundelach H, Klempnauer K. The glioma-amplified sequence 41 gene (GAS41) is a direct Myb target gene. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:4750-7 pubmed..We have also analysed the GAS41 replication origin in myelomonocytic cells and have failed to observe significant differences in origin activity in cells expressing or not expressing v-Myb. ..
- Lane T, Ibanez C, Garcia A, Graf T, Lipsick J. Transformation by v-myb correlates with trans-activation of gene expression. Mol Cell Biol. 1990;10:2591-8 pubmed
- Brendeford E, Myrset A, Hegvold A, Lundin M, Gabrielsen O. Oncogenic point mutations induce altered conformation, redox sensitivity, and DNA binding in the minimal DNA binding domain of avian myeloblastosis virus v-Myb. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:4436-43 pubmed
- Introna M, Golay J, Frampton J, Nakano T, Ness S, Graf T. Mutations in v-myb alter the differentiation of myelomonocytic cells transformed by the oncogene. Cell. 1990;63:1289-97 pubmed..These results indicate that different forms of v-myb impose alternate phenotypes of differentiation on transformed myeloid cells, probably by regulating unique sets of differentiation-specific genes...
- Burk O, Mink S, Ringwald M, Klempnauer K. Synergistic activation of the chicken mim-1 gene by v-myb and C/EBP transcription factors. EMBO J. 1993;12:2027-38 pubmed..Our results suggest a role for C/EBP beta, and possibly for other C/EBP transcription factors, in v-myb function and in myeloid-specific gene activation...
- Fu S, Lipsick J. FAETL motif required for leukemic transformation by v-Myb. J Virol. 1996;70:5600-10 pubmed..Interestingly, our results show that this region is essential for the functions of v-Myb without requiring a heptad leucine repeat...
- Ness S, Marknell A, Graf T. The v-myb oncogene product binds to and activates the promyelocyte-specific mim-1 gene. Cell. 1989;59:1115-25 pubmed..We conclude that mim-1 is a cellular gene that is directly regulated by the product of the v-myb oncogene...
- Kintscher J, Yamkamon V, Braas D, Klempnauer K. Identification of a Myb-responsive enhancer of the chicken C/EBPbeta gene. Oncogene. 2004;23:5807-14 pubmed..Apart from the identification of a novel Myb-dependent enhancer, our work demonstrates the potential of chromatin structure analysis for the identification of Myb target sites. ..
- Korenjak M, Taylor Harding B, Binné U, Satterlee J, Stevaux O, Aasland R, et al. Native E2F/RBF complexes contain Myb-interacting proteins and repress transcription of developmentally controlled E2F target genes. Cell. 2004;119:181-93 pubmed..These results reveal an extensive evolutionary conservation of specific pRb repressor complexes that physically combine subunits with established roles in the regulation of transcription, DNA replication, and chromatin structure. ..
- Oehler T, Arnold H, Biedenkapp H, Klempnauer K. Characterization of the v-myb DNA binding domain. Nucleic Acids Res. 1990;18:1703-10 pubmed..Our results support the view that specific sequence-recognition, mediated by the conserved myb repeats, is a general feature of myb-related proteins...
- Burk O, Klempnauer K. Estrogen-dependent alterations in differentiation state of myeloid cells caused by a v-myb/estrogen receptor fusion protein. EMBO J. 1991;10:3713-9 pubmed..We have used this estrogen-dependent v-myb expression system to identify a novel v-myb regulated gene. ..
- Burk O, Worpenberg S, Haenig B, Klempnauer K. tom-1, a novel v-Myb target gene expressed in AMV- and E26-transformed myelomonocytic cells. EMBO J. 1997;16:1371-80 pubmed..Together with previous work our results suggest that C/EBP may be a general cooperation partner for v-Myb in myelomonocytic cells...
- Lipsick J, Wang D. Transformation by v-Myb. Oncogene. 1999;18:3047-55 pubmed..The E26 leukemia virus was first described in the 1960s and causes an acute erythroblastosis in chickens, more reminiscent of the disease caused by avian erythroblastosis virus (AEV) than by AMV (Ivanov et al., 1962)...
- Oelgeschlager M, Janknecht R, Krieg J, Schreek S, Luscher B. Interaction of the co-activator CBP with Myb proteins: effects on Myb-specific transactivation and on the cooperativity with NF-M. EMBO J. 1996;15:2771-80 pubmed..We suggest that CBP can bridge between c-Myb and NF-M, thus providing an explanation for the strong synergism between these two proteins. ..
- Worpenberg S, Burk O, Klempnauer K. The chicken adenosine receptor 2B gene is regulated by v-myb. Oncogene. 1997;15:213-21 pubmed..Our results provide the first evidence that v-Myb directly regulates a gene encoding a membrane receptor and establish a link between Myb function and adenosine receptor signaling. ..
- Kattmann D, Klempnauer K. Identification and characterization of the Myb-inducible promoter of the chicken adenosine receptor 2B gene. Oncogene. 2002;21:4663-72 pubmed..Taken together, our data suggest that the activation of the A2B-AR promoter by Myb depends on the simultaneous binding of a large number of Myb molecules. ..
- Schlichter U, Burk O, Worpenberg S, Klempnauer K. The chicken Pdcd4 gene is regulated by v-Myb. Oncogene. 2001;20:231-9 pubmed..Our results provide the first evidence that v-Myb directly regulates the expression of a potential tumor suppressor gene. ..
- Ibanez C, Garcia A, Stober Grässer U, Lipsick J. DNA-binding activity associated with the v-myb oncogene product is not sufficient for transformation. J Virol. 1988;62:4398-402 pubmed..This activity is not required for the nuclear localization of p48v-myb. Furthermore, the associated DNA-binding activity and nuclear localization of p48v-myb together are not sufficient for transformation. ..
- Chayka O, Kintscher J, Braas D, Klempnauer K. v-Myb mediates cooperation of a cell-specific enhancer with the mim-1 promoter. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:499-511 pubmed
- Mo X, Kowenz Leutz E, Laumonnier Y, Xu H, Leutz A. Histone H3 tail positioning and acetylation by the c-Myb but not the v-Myb DNA-binding SANT domain. Genes Dev. 2005;19:2447-57 pubmed..Our data link a novel chromatin function of c-Myb with lineage-specific expression of differentiation genes and relate the loss of this function with the leukemic conversion of Myb...
- Wu Y, Duesberg P. Avian erythroblastosis virus E26: only one (myb) of two cell-derived coding regions is necessary for oncogenicity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:4039-43 pubmed..Viral ets probably reflects a genetic accident that transduced sequences of proto-ets together with proto-myb in generating E26. ..
- Bernards R. CDK-independent activities of D type cyclins. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1999;1424:M17-22 pubmed
- Kalkbrenner F, Guehmann S, Moelling K. Transcriptional activation by human c-myb and v-myb genes. Oncogene. 1990;5:657-61 pubmed
- Stokrova J, Korb J, Dvorakova M. Baculovirus expression system cells expressing v-myb oncogene: the distribution of RNA and DNA in specific nuclear compartments with respect to structures interacting with anti-v-Myb antibody. Folia Biol (Praha). 1999;45:75-80 pubmed..We suggest that the nucleoli-like structures of type I and II are of nucleolar origin. The type III more likely represents virogenic stroma or viral DNA storage site. ..
- Smardova J, Nemajerova A, Navrátilová J, Jurdic P, Smarda J. CBP sensitizes v-myb-transformed monoblasts to differentiation inducers. Differentiation. 2005;73:222-32 pubmed..These results indicate that cellular context is an important factor determining whether CBP will activate or suppress the protein it targets. ..
- Meng X, Zhang C, Chen J, Peng S, Cao Y, Ying K, et al. Cloning and identification of a novel cDNA coding thioredoxin-related transmembrane protein 2. Biochem Genet. 2003;41:99-106 pubmed..Northern blot analysis shows it is widely expressed in human tissues. ..
- Mink S, Haenig B, Klempnauer K. Interaction and functional collaboration of p300 and C/EBPbeta. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:6609-17 pubmed
- Schirm S, Moscovici G, Bishop J. A temperature-sensitive phenotype of avian myeloblastosis virus: determinants that influence the production of viral mRNAs. J Virol. 1990;64:767-73 pubmed..Our findings dramatize the manner in which retroviruses normally control the splicing of their RNAs and implicate the sequence of the splice acceptor site in the control. ..
- Kaspar P, Dvorakova M, Kralova J, Pajer P, Kozmik Z, Dvorak M. Myb-interacting protein, ATBF1, represses transcriptional activity of Myb oncoprotein. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:14422-8 pubmed..Our data reveal Myb proteins as the first ATBF1 partners detected so far and identify amino acids 279-300 in v-Myb as a novel protein-protein interaction interface through which Myb transcriptional activity can be regulated. ..
- Klempnauer K. Association of v-myc protein with chromatin. Oncogene. 1989;4:115-8 pubmed..v-myb and v-myc proteins thus share the same subnuclear location and apparently interact directly with the cellular DNA. ..
- Benes P, Macecková V, Zdrahal Z, Konecná H, Zahradnícková E, Muzik J, et al. Role of vimentin in regulation of monocyte/macrophage differentiation. Differentiation. 2006;74:265-76 pubmed..Taken together, these findings document that up-regulation of vimentin gene expression is important for formation of fully active macrophage-like cells and macrophage polykaryons. ..
- Engelke U, Whittaker L, Lipsick J. Weak transcriptional activation is sufficient for transformation by v-Myb. Virology. 1995;208:467-77 pubmed
- Pinson B, Brendeford E, Gabrielsen O, Daignan Fornier B. Highly conserved features of DNA binding between two divergent members of the Myb family of transcription factors. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:527-35 pubmed..e. a DNA-induced conformational change in the second repeat leads to formation of a full helix-turn-helix-related motif with the cysteine packed in the hydrophobic core of the repeat. ..
- Kraut N, Frampton J, Graf T. Rem-1, a putative direct target gene of the Myb-Ets fusion oncoprotein in haematopoietic progenitors, is a member of the recoverin family. Oncogene. 1995;10:1027-36 pubmed..Enforced expression of rem-1 in ts1.1-transformed MEP cells, using a retroviral vector, showed that this gene is not sufficient to block their differentiation, but that it may provide them with a growth advantage. ..
- Kralova J, Dvorak M, Kral V. Novel cationic transport agents for oligonucleotide delivery into primary leukemic cells. J Med Chem. 2003;46:2049-56 pubmed..Low toxicity, serum compatibility, and water solubility of porphyrin 3 make this compound a promising novel tool for modulation of gene expression in primary leukemic cells. ..
- Wang D, Lipsick J. Mutational analysis of the transcriptional activation domains of v-Myb. Oncogene. 2002;21:1611-5 pubmed..In contrast, there was not a strong correlation between transcriptional activation and oncogenic transformation. ..
- Wang D, Sevcikova S, Wen H, Roberts S, Lipsick J. v-Myb represses the transcription of Ets-2. Oncogene. 2007;26:1238-44 pubmed..In addition, we have shown that some genes that are regulated by a v-Myb-ER fusion protein may not be relevant to the biological function of the unfused v-Myb protein. ..
- Hsu H, Ong S, Lee M, Tai J. Transcriptional regulation of an iron-inducible gene by differential and alternate promoter entries of multiple Myb proteins in the protozoan parasite Trichomonas vaginalis. Eukaryot Cell. 2009;8:362-72 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that Myb2 and Myb3 may coactivate basal and iron-inducible ap65-1 transcription against Myb1 through conditional and competitive promoter entries...
- Casini T, Graf T. Bicistronic retroviral vector reveals capacity of v-erbA to induce erythroleukemia and to co-operate with v-myb. Oncogene. 1995;11:1019-26 pubmed
- Lira C, de Siqueira Neto J, Khater L, Cagliari T, Peroni L, dos Reis J, et al. LaTBP1: a Leishmania amazonensis DNA-binding protein that associates in vivo with telomeres and GT-rich DNA using a Myb-like domain. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2007;465:399-409 pubmed..Competition assays and chromatin immunoprecipitation confirmed the specificity of LaTBP1 for telomeric and GT-rich DNAs, suggesting that LaTBP1 is a new TBP. ..
- Sif S, Capobianco A, Gilmore T. The v-Rel oncoprotein increases expression from Sp1 site-containing promoters in chicken embryo fibroblasts. Oncogene. 1993;8:2501-9 pubmed..These results suggest that certain oncoproteins might increase transcription from many genes that contain Sp1 binding sites, and that this might be important for certain aspects of transformation by these proteins. ..
- Smith S, de Lange T. TRF1, a mammalian telomeric protein. Trends Genet. 1997;13:21-6 pubmed..The recent isolation of TRF1, the mammalian telomeric-repeat binding factor, should now allow the structure and function of the telomeric complex to be examined in detail. ..
- Lipsick J, Baluda M. The myb oncogene. Gene Amplif Anal. 1986;4:73-98 pubmed
- Tillmanns S, Otto C, Jaffray E, Du Roure C, Bakri Y, Vanhille L, et al. SUMO modification regulates MafB-driven macrophage differentiation by enabling Myb-dependent transcriptional repression. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:5554-64 pubmed..SUMO modification of lineage-specific transcription factors may thus modulate transcription factor antagonism to control tissue homeostasis in the hematopoietic system. ..
- Gonda T, Buckmaster C, Ramsay R. Activation of c-myb by carboxy-terminal truncation: relationship to transformation of murine haemopoietic cells in vitro. EMBO J. 1989;8:1777-83 pubmed
- Plachetka A, Chayka O, Wilczek C, Melnik S, Bonifer C, Klempnauer K. C/EBPbeta induces chromatin opening at a cell-type-specific enhancer. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:2102-12 pubmed publisher..Our work identifies a novel function for C/EBPbeta in the initial steps of a localized chromatin opening at a specific, physiologically relevant target region. ..
- Nakano T, Graf T. Identification of genes differentially expressed in two types of v-myb-transformed avian myelomonocytic cells. Oncogene. 1992;7:527-34 pubmed..Co-transfection experiments of a reporter construct containing the promoter of the ribonuclease A-related gene indicated that this promoter is regulated by the v-Myb oncoprotein without the involvement of Myb-specific binding sequences. ..
- Zahradnícková E, Soucek K, Sevcikova S, Smardova J, Smarda J. c-Fos but not v-Fos protein induces programmed cell death of v-myb-transformed monoblasts. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2003;60:2736-48 pubmed..The effects of Fos proteins on BM2 cells differ from those induced by Jun proteins, suggesting differential roles of individual components of the AP-1 transcription factor in regulation of essential cellular processes. ..
- Seroussi E, Kedra D, Kost Alimova M, Sandberg Nordqvist A, Fransson I, Jacobs J, et al. TOM1 genes map to human chromosome 22q13.1 and mouse chromosome 8C1 and encode proteins similar to the endosomal proteins HGS and STAM. Genomics. 1999;57:380-8 pubmed..Using a genomic PAC clone, we demonstrate that the mouse Tom1 and Hmox1 genes are part of an as yet undescribed syntenic group between mouse chromosome 8C1 and human chromosome 22q13.1. ..
- Noben Trauth K, Copeland N, Gilbert D, Jenkins N, Sonoda G, Testa J, et al. Mybl2 (Bmyb) maps to mouse chromosome 2 and human chromosome 20q 13.1. Genomics. 1996;35:610-2 pubmed..However, our findings are in contrast to a previous report by Barletta et al. (Cancer Res. 51:3821-3824, 1991) that placed the MYBL2 gene on human chromosome Xq13. ..
- Stober Grässer U, Lipsick J. Specific amino acid substitutions are not required for transformation by v-myb of avian myeloblastosis virus. J Virol. 1988;62:1093-6 pubmed..We demonstrated that the 11 specific amino acid substitutions found in two independent molecular clones of this virus were not required for the transformation of myeloblasts by v-myb. ..
- Sheridan P, Lawrie A, Crossman D, Holt C, Newman C. VP22-mediated intercellular transport correlates with enhanced biological activity of MybEngrailed but not (HSV-I) thymidine kinase fusion proteins in primary vascular cells following non-viral transfection. J Gene Med. 2005;7:375-85 pubmed..VP22 fusion may enhance the efficiency of non-viral gene delivery when combined with the appropriate therapeutic transgene, target tissue and transfection method. ..
- Kanei Ishii C, Nomura T, Tanikawa J, Ichikawa Iwata E, Ishii S. Differential sensitivity of v-Myb and c-Myb to Wnt-1-induced protein degradation. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:44582-9 pubmed..The relative resistance of v-Myb to Wnt-1-induced degradation may explain, at least in part, the differential transforming capacity of v-Myb versus c-Myb. ..
- Karafiat V, Dvorakova M, Pajer P, Kralova J, Horejsi Z, Cermak V, et al. The leucine zipper region of Myb oncoprotein regulates the commitment of hematopoietic progenitors. Blood. 2001;98:3668-76 pubmed..It is proposed that Myb LZR can function as a molecular switch, affecting expression of lineage-specifying transcription factors and directing the development of hematopoietic progenitors into either myeloid or erythroid lineages. ..
- Tahirov T, Sasaki M, Inoue Bungo T, Fujikawa A, Sato K, Kumasaka T, et al. Crystals of ternary protein-DNA complexes composed of DNA-binding domains of c-Myb or v-Myb, C/EBPalpha or C/EBPbeta and tom-1A promoter fragment. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2001;57:1655-8 pubmed..Complete diffraction data sets were obtained from each native crystal and two types of iodine-derivative crystals. A three-wavelength MAD data set was also obtained from a bromine-derivative crystal. ..
- Karafiat V, Dvorakova M, Pajer P, Cermak V, Dvorak M. Melanocyte fate in neural crest is triggered by Myb proteins through activation of c-kit. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2007;64:2975-84 pubmed
- Metz T, Graf T. Fusion of the nuclear oncoproteins v-Myb and v-Ets is required for the leukemogenicity of E26 virus. Cell. 1991;66:95-105 pubmed..These results show that v-Myb and v-Ets must be fused to cause leukemia and establish a new mechanism of oncogene activation and cooperation. ..
- Desbois C, Pain B, Guilhot C, Benchaibi M, Ffrench M, Ghysdael J, et al. v-erbA oncogene abrogates growth inhibition of chicken embryo fibroblasts induced by retinoic acid. Oncogene. 1991;6:2129-35 pubmed..These data strongly suggest functional interferences between the retinoic acid receptors and the AP-1 transcription factor complex in the control of expression of genes involved in CEF proliferation. ..