Genomes and Genes
oncogene proteins v mos
Summary: Transforming proteins coded by mos oncogenes. The v-mos proteins were originally isolated from the Moloney murine sarcoma virus (Mo-MSV).
- Lengye E, Singh B, Gum R, Nerlov C, Sabichi A, Birrer M, et al. Regulation of urokinase-type plasminogen activator expression by the v-mos oncogene. Oncogene. 1995;11:2639-48 pubmed..In conclusion, the data herein indicate that urokinase expression is regulated by v-mos through a MAPKK-dependent signaling pathway. ..
- Parkar M, Seid J, Stringer B, Ingemansson S, Woodhouse N, Goyns M. Abnormal expression of the MOS proto-oncogene in human thyroid medullary carcinoma. Cancer Lett. 1988;43:185-9 pubmed..These findings are the first report of MOS expression in any human tissue, and indicate that MOS oncogene activation might be important in the development of some thyroid tumours. ..
- Akamatsu E, Tanaka T, Kato J. Transcription factor E2F and cyclin E-Cdk2 complex cooperate to induce chromosomal DNA replication in Xenopus oocytes. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:16494-500 pubmed
- Kaplan J, Sass P. Post-translational processing of purified human K-ras in Xenopus oocytes. Cancer Commun. 1991;3:383-8 pubmed
- Ito J, Shimada M, Hochi S, Hirabayashi M. Involvement of Ca2+-dependent proteasome in the degradation of both cyclin B1 and Mos during spontaneous activation of matured rat oocytes. Theriogenology. 2007;67:475-85 pubmed..In contrast, Wistar oocytes had a relatively low cytostatic factor activity; rapid decrease of Mos/MEK/MAPK failed to stabilize both cyclin B1 and Mos, and these oocytes were likely to spontaneously activate. ..
- Liu J, Singh B, Wlodek D, Arlinghaus R. Cell cycle-mediated structural and functional alteration of P85gag-mos protein kinase activity. Oncogene. 1990;5:171-8 pubmed..We propose that the mos transforming protein functions in a pleiotropic manner, affecting both cytoplasmic and nuclear targets. ..
- Yuen P, Ryan E, Devroe E, Wong P. A single Glu(62)-to-Lys(62) mutation in the Mos residues of the R7Delta447Gag-tMos protein causes the mutant virus to induce brain lesions. Oncogene. 2001;20:692-703 pubmed..Thus, we have identified a key residue in the Gag-tMos protein that profoundly affects activation of the Mos/MEK/ERK pathway, virus and cell replication, morphologic transformation in vitro and pathogenicity in vivo...
- Schweighoffer F, Barlat I, Chevallier Multon M, Tocque B. Implication of GAP in Ras-dependent transactivation of a polyoma enhancer sequence. Science. 1992;256:825-7 pubmed..These results indicate that GAP is a negative regulator of wild-type Ras and elicits a downstream signal by interacting with Ras-GTP (guanosine triphosphate). ..
- Lefebvre C, Terret M, Djiane A, Rassinier P, Maro B, Verlhac M. Meiotic spindle stability depends on MAPK-interacting and spindle-stabilizing protein (MISS), a new MAPK substrate. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:603-13 pubmed..We therefore have discovered a new MAPK substrate involved in maintaining spindle integrity during the CSF arrest of mouse oocytes, called MISS (for MAP kinase-interacting and spindle-stabilizing protein). ..
- Hiipakka M, Saksela K. Versatile retargeting of SH3 domain binding by modification of non-conserved loop residues. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:1735-41 pubmed..These results highlight the role of non-conserved regions in SH3 target selection, and introduce a strategy that may be generally feasible for generating artificial SH3 domains with desired ligand binding properties. ..
- Singh B, Wittenberg C, Hannink M, Reed S, Donoghue D, Arlinghaus R. The histidine-221 to tyrosine substitution in v-mos abolishes its biological function and its protein kinase activity. Virology. 1988;164:114-20 pubmed
- Ishikawa K, Kurata N, Aoki H, Kato T, Marunouchi T. Production and characterization of a monoclonal antibody to the v-mos oncogene protein. Hybridoma. 1991;10:357-68 pubmed..These results demonstrate that the v-mos MAb obtained is suitable for elucidating the physiological functions of v-mos gene product and may also be utilized to detect c-mos gene product at the cellular level...
- Azuma M, Kasai Y, Tamatani T, Sato M. Involvement of p53 mutation in the development of human salivary gland pleomorphic adenomas. Cancer Lett. 1992;65:61-71 pubmed..However, none of the 4 cases expressed myc and mos oncogene products. These results may imply a role for p53 mutation in the development of human salivary gland pleomorphic adenomas. ..
- Klemenz R, Hoffmann S, Jaggi R, Werenskiold A. The v-mos and c-Ha-ras oncoproteins exert similar effects on the pattern of protein synthesis. Oncogene. 1989;4:799-803 pubmed..Only the 47 kDa protein was also subject to regulation by the oncoproteins. One of the proteins whose synthesis was strongly induced by the ras and mos oncogene products is also expressed by heat shock. ..
- Daar I, Nebreda A, Yew N, Sass P, Paules R, Santos E, et al. The ras oncoprotein and M-phase activity. Science. 1991;253:74-6 pubmed..Thus, in the Xenopus oocyte and embryo systems Ras functions in the M phase of the cell cycle. The embryonic cleavage arrest assay is a rapid and sensitive test for Ras function. ..
- Solhonne B, Lenormand J, Pelpel K, Leibovitch M, Leibovitch S. MyoD binds to Mos and inhibits the Mos/MAP kinase pathway. FEBS Lett. 1999;461:107-10 pubmed..In this study, we show that in myogenic cells, the mitogenic and oncogenic signalling from the Mos/MEK/ERK pathway is suppressed by MyoD through the formation of a heterotrimeric complex. ..
- Saavedra H, Fukasawa K, Conn C, Stambrook P. MAPK mediates RAS-induced chromosome instability. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:38083-90 pubmed..This chromosome instability, therefore, is a consequence of mitotic aberrations, mediated by the MAPK pathway, including centrosome amplification and formation of mitotic chromosome bridges. ..
- Inselman A, Handel M. Mitogen-activated protein kinase dynamics during the meiotic G2/MI transition of mouse spermatocytes. Biol Reprod. 2004;71:570-8 pubmed
- Scherdin U, Steffen M, Dietel M, Boecker W, Breindl M, Hölzel F. Elevated expression of v-mos is correlated with altered differentiation of carcinoma cells. Oncogene. 1990;5:1619-27 pubmed..Proviral DNA was transcribed in the infected cell clones irrespective of their phenotype; however, transcription was significantly higher in cells with fibroblastoid morphology than in epithelioid cells. ..
- LaChapelle A, Ruygrok M, Toomer M, Oost J, Monnie M, Swenson J, et al. The hormonal herbicide, 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid, inhibits Xenopus oocyte maturation by targeting translational and post-translational mechanisms. Reprod Toxicol. 2007;23:20-31 pubmed..Attempts to rescue maturation in oocytes transiently exposed to 2,4-D failed, suggesting that 2,4-D induces irreversible dysfunction of the meiotic signaling mechanism. ..
- Bai W, Arlinghaus R, Singh B. Association of v-Mos with soluble vimentin in vitro and in transformed cells. Oncogene. 1993;8:2207-12 pubmed..p37env-mos was also found to associate with purified bovine lens vimentin in vitro. The significance of these findings with regard to v-mos-induced cellular transformation is discussed. ..
- Fukasawa K, Rulong S, Resau J, Pinto da Silva P, Vande Woude G. Overexpression of mos oncogene product in Swiss 3T3 cells induces apoptosis preferentially during S-phase. Oncogene. 1995;10:1-8 pubmed..These analyses show that cell populations in different stages of the cell cycle are differently affected by high levels of v-Mos expression and cells in S-phase appear to be uniquely sensitive and undergo apoptosis. ..
- Puls A, Proikas Cezanne T, Marquardt B, Propst F, Stabel S. Kinase activities of c-Mos and v-Mos proteins: a single amino acid exchange is responsible for constitutive activation of the 124 v-Mos kinase. Oncogene. 1995;10:623-30 pubmed..We hypothesize that the Arg145-->Gly mutation found in 124 v-Mos mimicks a conformational change which might be an obligatory step in the activation of c-Mos in vivo. ..
- Fukasawa K, Vande Woude G. Mos overexpression in Swiss 3T3 cells induces meiotic-like alterations of the mitotic spindle. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:3430-4 pubmed..This can explain at least one form of genetic instability that leads to altered DNA content in tumor cells. ..
- Stanford J, Lieberman S, Wong V, Ruderman J. Regulation of the G2/M transition in oocytes of xenopus tropicalis. Dev Biol. 2003;260:438-48 pubmed..tropicalis, and suggest that X. tropicalis oocytes offer a good experimental system for investigating certain questions that require a rapid, synchronous progression through the G2/meiosis I transition. ..
- Qi M, Hamilton B, DeFranco D. v-mos oncoproteins affect the nuclear retention and reutilization of glucocorticoid receptors. Mol Endocrinol. 1989;3:1279-88 pubmed..Thus alterations in the intracellular partitioning of GR protein in v-mos-transformed cells result in the generation of a novel desensitized receptor that is apparently trapped in the cytoplasm and incapable of being reutilized. ..
- Gao C, Wang L, Vass W, Seth A, Chang K. The role of v-mos in transformation, oncogenicity, and metastatic potential of mink lung cells. Oncogene. 1988;3:267-73 pubmed
- Tunquist B, Eyers P, Chen L, Lewellyn A, Maller J. Spindle checkpoint proteins Mad1 and Mad2 are required for cytostatic factor-mediated metaphase arrest. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:1231-42 pubmed..These results suggest a model in which CSF arrest by Mos is mediated by the Mad1 and Mad2 proteins in a manner distinct from the spindle checkpoint. ..
- Singh B, Goldman R, Hutton L, Herzog N, Arlinghaus R. The P55 protein affected by v-mos expression is vimentin. J Virol. 1987;61:3625-9 pubmed..This conclusion was reached by comparing relative mobilities in denaturing gels, isoelectric points, immunoreactivities, location in the cell, and peptide maps. ..
- Perunovic B, Athanasiou A, Quilty R, Gorgoulis V, Kittas C, Love S. Expression of mos in astrocytic tumors and its potential role in neoplastic progression. Hum Pathol. 2002;33:703-7 pubmed..This study provides evidence that mos may be involved in the neoplastic progression of a proportion of astrocytic tumors. ..
- Basu A, Lazo J. Suppression of dexamethasone-induced metallothionein expression and cis-diamminedichloroplatinum(II) resistance by v-mos. Cancer Res. 1991;51:893-6 pubmed..Glucocorticoid-induced protection is suppressed in cells expressing v-mos and this might form the basis of future strategies to improve the therapeutic index of cis-DDP. ..
- Roy L, Haccard O, Izumi T, Lattes B, Lewellyn A, Maller J. Mos proto-oncogene function during oocyte maturation in Xenopus. Oncogene. 1996;12:2203-11 pubmed
- Chan J, Scanlon M, Zhang H, Jia L, Yu D, Hung M, et al. Molecular cloning and characterization of v-mos-activated transformation-associated proteins. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:1099-103 pubmed..Therefore, within v-mos transformed 6m2 cells, the absence of transformation-associated protein (metalloproteinase) synthesis at the nonpermissive temperature was due to the absence of transcription of two rat transin genes. ..
- Allen L, Allgood J, Han X, Wittine L. Phosphoinositide3-kinase regulates actin polymerization during delayed phagocytosis of Helicobacter pylori. J Leukoc Biol. 2005;78:220-30 pubmed..We conclude that Hp and IgG beads are ingested by distinct mechanisms and that PI3Ks regulate the actin cytoskeleton during slow phagocytosis of ulcerogenic Hp. ..
- Werenskiold A. Characterization of a secreted glycoprotein of the immunoglobulin superfamily inducible by mitogen and oncogene. Eur J Biochem. 1992;204:1041-7 pubmed..Second, glycosidase digestions show that T1 protein maturation involves glycosylation and sialylation. These post-translational modification steps appear to be similar in different types of cells. ..
- Isenovic E, Divald A, Milivojevic N, Grgurevic T, Fisher S, Sowers J. Interactive effects of insulin-like growth factor-1 and beta-estradiol on endothelial nitric oxide synthase activity in rat aortic endothelial cells. Metabolism. 2003;52:482-7 pubmed..Pretreatment with PI3K antagonist wortmannin (WT) prevented this increase in eNOS activity. The results suggest that IGF-1 and E2 may interact through PI3K/Akt-related pathways to increase eNOS activity. ..
- Freeman R, Donoghue D. Transforming mutant v-mos protein kinases that are deficient in in vitro autophosphorylation. Mol Cell Biol. 1989;9:4087-90 pubmed..These studies represent the first functional uncoupling of these two activities for p37mos. ..
- Yih L, Ho I, Lee T. Sodium arsenite disturbs mitosis and induces chromosome loss in human fibroblasts. Cancer Res. 1997;57:5051-9 pubmed..Unfortunately, none became immortal. Collectively, treatment of the G2-enriched HFW cells with arsenite can disturb the mitotic events and subsequently induce chromosome loss. ..
- Kurata N, Akiyama H, Hosoya H, Aoki H, Ishikawa K, Marunouchi T. Mutations in the v-mos gene abolish its ability to induce differentiation but not transformation. Eur J Cell Biol. 1995;68:55-61 pubmed..These results suggest that the mos product functions differently in cell differentiation and transformation. ..
- Bai W, Singh B, Karshin W, Shonk R, Arlinghaus R. Phosphorylation of v-mos Ser 47 by the mitotic form of p34cdc2. Oncogene. 1991;6:1715-23 pubmed..These results were unexpected in view of earlier reports regarding cdc2 kinase activation/stabilization by the c-mos kinase in maturing oocytes. ..
- LoSardo J, Goggin B, Bohoslawec O, Neri A. Degradation of endothelial cell matrix collagen is correlated with induction of stromelysin by an activated ras oncogene. Clin Exp Metastasis. 1995;13:236-48 pubmed
- Singh B, Stocking C, Walker R, Yang Y, Ostertag W, Arlinghaus R. v-mos proteins encoded by myeloproliferative sarcoma virus and its ts159 mutant. J Virol. 1992;66:1267-72 pubmed..These findings indicate that MPSV, like other Moloney murine sarcoma virus strains, also encodes a functional env-mos protein. ..
- Waaga A, Wottge H, Müller Ruchholtz W. Injection of v-mos-transformed and irradiated macrophages leads to longlasting specific acceptance of MHC-allogeneic heart grafts and specific prolongation of skin graft survival in mice. Transpl Int. 1994;7 Suppl 1:S602-5 pubmed..The mos2 cells obviously induced a state of specific unresponsiveness in otherwise unmanipulated recipients. However, the duration of this unresponsiveness induced by the injection of irradiated cells was dependent on the organ type. ..
- Wixler V, Smola U, Schuler M, Rapp U. Differential regulation of Raf isozymes by growth versus differentiation inducing factors in PC12 pheochromocytoma cells. FEBS Lett. 1996;385:131-7 pubmed..These data suggest a differential regulation of Raf kinases and that probably no alternative Raf substrates are involved in differentiation processes of PC12 cells. ..
- Rosenberg M, Aversa C, Wallace R, Propst F. Expression of the v-Mos oncogene in male meiotic germ cells of transgenic mice results in metaphase arrest. Cell Growth Differ. 1995;6:325-36 pubmed..Thus, overexpression of pp39v-mos during male germ cell meiosis resulted in an alteration of various cell cycle related kinases and cytostatic factor-like arrest at MI. ..
- Topol L, Marx M, Calothy G, Blair D. Transformation-resistant mos revertant is unable to activate MAP kinase kinase in response to v-mos or v-raf. Cell Growth Differ. 1995;6:27-38 pubmed
- O Hara B, Blair D. A threshold effect in the induction of tumorigenicity of an established human cell line by v-mos. Oncogene. 1988;3:295-9 pubmed..However, tumorigenicity was effected through a mechanism which involves different threshold doses for morphologic and tumorigenic transformation. ..
- Bai W, Singh B, Yang Y, Ramagli L, Nash M, Herzog N, et al. The physical interactions between p37env-mos and tubulin structures. Oncogene. 1992;7:493-500 pubmed..Therefore, the v-mos protein appears to have a higher affinity for unpolymerized tubulin than c-mos, under conditions that favor disassembly of microtubules. ..
- James N, Davis D, Sindon J, Hanger D, Brion J, Miller C, et al. Neurodegenerative changes including altered tau phosphorylation and neurofilament immunoreactivity in mice transgenic for the serine/threonine kinase Mos. Neurobiol Aging. 1996;17:235-41 pubmed..These results suggest that activation of protein phosphorylation in neurons can result in changes in cytoskeletal proteins that might contribute to neuronal degeneration. ..
- Bai W, Singh B, Yang Y, Arlinghaus R. Evidence for interaction between v-Mos and a p34cdc2 isoform, p35cdk. Oncogene. 1992;7:1757-63 pubmed..Furthermore, both v-Mos and the p35cdk co-precipitated with p13suc1-Sepharose beads. Our findings raise the possibility of a v-Mos-p35cdk regulatory interaction in cells transformed by Mo-MuSV. ..
- Propst F, Vande Woude G, Jenkins N, Copeland N, Lee B, Hunt P, et al. The Mos proto-oncogene maps near the centromere on mouse chromosome 4. Genomics. 1989;5:118-23 pubmed..These results establish Mos as a useful marker in a poorly characterized region of the mouse genome. In addition, these results will facilitate the genetic analysis of the Mos locus. ..