Genomes and Genes
oncogene proteins v fos
Summary: Transforming proteins coded by fos oncogenes. These proteins have been found in the Finkel-Biskis-Jinkins (FBJ-MSV) and Finkel-Biskis-Reilly (FBR-MSV) murine sarcoma viruses which induce osteogenic sarcomas in mice. The FBJ-MSV v-fos gene encodes a p55-kDa protein and the FBR-MSV v-fos gene encodes a p75-kDa fusion protein.
- Grob M, Trottier J, Mouginot D. Heterogeneous co-localization of AT 1A receptor and Fos protein in forebrain neuronal populations responding to acute hydromineral deficit. Brain Res. 2004;996:81-8 pubmed..This observation underlines the complexity of molecules and neurocircuits in the preoptic region that are involved in the control of acute Na(+) and water deficit. ..
- Bereiter D, Cioffi J, Bereiter D, Zardeneta G, Milam S. Local blockade of integrins in the temporomandibular joint region reduces Fos-positive neurons in trigeminal subnucleus caudalis of female rats produced by jaw movement. Pain. 2006;125:65-73 pubmed..These results suggest that RGD binding integrins contribute to JM-evoked neural activity at the Vc/C2 junction under naive and inflamed conditions in a sex-dependent manner...
- Roth T, Sullivan R. Memory of early maltreatment: neonatal behavioral and neural correlates of maternal maltreatment within the context of classical conditioning. Biol Psychiatry. 2005;57:823-31 pubmed..A fuller understanding of infant brain function may provide insight into why early maltreatment affects psychiatric well-being. ..
- Radley J, Williams B, Sawchenko P. Noradrenergic innervation of the dorsal medial prefrontal cortex modulates hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal responses to acute emotional stress. J Neurosci. 2008;28:5806-16 pubmed publisher..These findings identify the LC as an upstream component of a circuitry providing for dorsal mPFC modulation of emotional stress-induced HPA activation. ..
- Afonso V, Lehmann H, Tse M, Woehrling A, Pfaus J. Estrogen and the neural mediation of female-male mounting in the rat. Behav Neurosci. 2009;123:369-81 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that the ventromedial hypothalamus is a critical area of convergence of hormonal, olfactory, and somatosensory inputs for FMM. ..
- Staples L, Hunt G, Cornish J, McGregor I. Neural activation during cat odor-induced conditioned fear and 'trial 2' fear in rats. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2005;29:1265-77 pubmed..Little activation was seen in the amygdala or hippocampus. These results show that stimuli associated with predatory threat come to activate similar brain regions to the threat stimulus itself. ..
- Mishra A, Bharti A, Saluja D, Das B. Transactivation and expression patterns of Jun and Fos/AP-1 super-family proteins in human oral cancer. Int J Cancer. 2010;126:819-29 pubmed publisher..Thus, this study demonstrates differential expression and activation of AP-1 super-family proteins in relation to severity of lesion and their crucial role in human oral carcinogenesis. ..
- Wang Z, Zhang Y, Zhao Z. Inhibition of tetanically sciatic stimulation-induced LTP of spinal neurons and Fos expression by disrupting glutamate transporter GLT-1. Neuropharmacology. 2006;51:764-72 pubmed..In conclusion, glial GLT-1 may play an important role in tetanically sciatic stimulation-induced LTP of spinal nociceptive neurons via the regulation of extracellular levels of glutamate to an appropriate concentration. ..
- Paolone G, Conversi D, Caprioli D, Bianco P, Nencini P, Cabib S, et al. Modulatory effect of environmental context and drug history on heroin-induced psychomotor activity and fos protein expression in the rat brain. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2007;32:2611-23 pubmed..Thus, a full understanding of the mechanisms responsible for the neurobehavioral adaptations produced by addictive drugs will also require taking into due consideration the environment in which drugs are experienced. ..
- Conversi D, Bonito Oliva A, Orsini C, Colelli V, Cabib S. DeltaFosB accumulation in ventro-medial caudate underlies the induction but not the expression of behavioral sensitization by both repeated amphetamine and stress. Eur J Neurosci. 2008;27:191-201 pubmed publisher..These results support the hypothesis that a common neuroadaptive process involving DeltaFosB accumulation in the ventro-medial caudate underlies the induction but not the expression of behavioral sensitization by different conditions. ..
- Mayr D, Hirschmann A, Marlow S, Horvath C, Diebold J. Analysis of selected oncogenes (AKT1, FOS, BCL2L2, TGFbeta) on chromosome 14 in granulosa cell tumors (GCTs): a comprehensive study on 30 GCTs combining comparative genomic hybridization (CGH) and fluorescence-in situ-hybridization (FISH). Pathol Res Pract. 2008;204:823-30 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that GCTs may be characterized by trisomy of chromosome 14. A specific oncogene that could play a particular role in the tumorigenesis of GCTs was not identified on chromosome 14. ..
- Wo Y, Zhu D, Yu Y, Lou Y. Involvement of NF-kappaB and AP-1 activation in icariin promoted cardiac differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells. Eur J Pharmacol. 2008;586:59-66 pubmed publisher..It could be concluded that p38 and ERK1, 2 are activated in a coordinated manner, which in turn contribute to NF-kappaB and AP-1 activation in icariin induced cardiomyogenic cell lineage differentiation of mouse ES cells. ..
- Zhao X, Yu B, Wang L, Liu J, Xie W, Xu J. Ovariotomy and persistent pain affect long-term Fos expression in spinal cord. Neurosci Lett. 2005;375:165-9 pubmed..We find that ovariotomy can regulate the sensitivity to thermal stimuli and Fos protein level will change in the spinal dorsal horn. However, the alternation of Fos expression does not extremely account for the behavior. ..
- Caba M, Rovirosa M, Silver R. Suckling and genital stroking induces Fos expression in hypothalamic oxytocinergic neurons of rabbit pups. Brain Res Dev Brain Res. 2003;143:119-28 pubmed..In conclusion, our results show that the oxytocinergic system of the SON and PVN is differentially activated by suckling of milk and anogenital stroking, and that the vagal-hypothalamic axis is mature in 7-day-old rabbits. ..
- Beaule C, Amir S. Effect of 192 IgG-saporin on circadian activity rhythms, expression of P75 neurotrophin receptors, calbindin-D28K, and light-induced Fos in the suprachiasmatic nucleus in rats. Exp Neurol. 2002;176:377-89 pubmed..The data show that p75NTR-immunoreactive elements in the SCN are not required for photic entrainment. ..
- Cao J, Ding H, Zhang L, Duan S, Zeng Y. Pretreatment with midazolam suppresses morphine withdrawal response in mice and rats. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2002;23:685-90 pubmed..Midazolam suppresses morphine withdrawal response by inhibiting hypersensitization of the spinal cord neurons, and this effect may not be mediated by cAMP pathway. ..
- Kolettas E, Evangelou A, Gonos E. v-FBR-fos oncogene fails to rescue mammalian cells from growth arrest but affects the responses of human fibroblasts to heparin. Anticancer Res. 2001;21:435-44 pubmed..These data show that v-FBR-fos is not sufficient to rescue mammalian cells from senescence but it can affect the responses of human fibroblasts to heparin suggesting a role of fos in cell proliferation. ..
- Hashimoto H, Onaka T, Kawasaki M, Chen L, Mera T, Soya A, et al. Effects of cholecystokinin (CCK)-8 on hypothalamic oxytocin-secreting neurons in rats lacking CCK-A receptor. Auton Neurosci. 2005;121:16-25 pubmed..These results suggest that peripheral administration of CCK-8 may selectively activate the hypothalamic OXT-secreting neurons and brainstem neurons through CCK-A receptor in rats. ..
- Cham J, Klein R, Owens N, Mathai M, McKinley M, Badoer E. Activation of spinally projecting and nitrergic neurons in the PVN following heat exposure. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006;291:R91-101 pubmed..1%) (P < 0.0001). These results suggest that spinally projecting and nitrergic neurons in the PVN may contribute to the central pathways activated by thermal stimulation. ..
- Clem R, Barth A. Pathway-specific trafficking of native AMPARs by in vivo experience. Neuron. 2006;49:663-70 pubmed..These data demonstrate that pathway-specific trafficking of GluR2-lacking AMPARs is a normal feature of synaptic strengthening that underlies experience-dependent plasticity in the behaving animal. ..
- Wang X, Liefer K, Greenhalgh D, Roop D. 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate promotion of transgenic mouse epidermis coexpressing transforming growth factor-alpha and v-fos: acceleration of autonomous papilloma formation and malignant conversion via c-Ha-ras activation. Mol Carcinog. 1999;26:305-11 pubmed..However, in this transgenic model conversion always required additional genetic events, e.g., activation of the endogenous c-Ha-ras gene. ..
- Steff A, Carillo S, Pariat M, Piechaczyk M. Decreased susceptibility to calpains of v-FosFBR but not of v-FosFBJ or v-JunASV17 retroviral proteins compared with their cellular counterparts. Biochem J. 1997;323 ( Pt 3):685-92 pubmed..This observation raises the interesting possibility that homologous regions in viral and cellular Fos either display slightly different conformations or are differentially accessible to interacting proteins. ..
- Middlemas D, Kihl B, Zhou J, Zhu X. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor promotes survival and chemoprotection of human neuroblastoma cells. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:16451-60 pubmed..We then tested whether BDNF might afford drug resistance in NB and found that BDNF does indeed protect in this NB model against cisplatin, a DNA-damaging agent actually used in the treatment of NB. ..
- Heise C, Reyes S, Mitrofanis J. Sensory (nociceptive) stimulation evokes Fos expression in the subthalamus of hemiparkinsonian rats. Neurol Res. 2008;30:277-84 pubmed..We suggest that activating nociceptive pathways exacerbates the abnormal cell activity in the basal ganglia generated by the hemiparkinsonian condition. ..
- Salchner P, Sartori S, Sinner C, Wigger A, Frank E, Landgraf R, et al. Airjet and FG-7142-induced Fos expression differs in rats selectively bred for high and low anxiety-related behavior. Neuropharmacology. 2006;50:1048-58 pubmed
- Stone E, Yan L, Ahsan M, Lehmann M, Yeretsian J, Quartermain D. Role of CNS alpha1-adrenoceptor activity in central fos responses to novelty. Synapse. 2006;59:299-307 pubmed
- Rutberg S, Adams T, Glick A, Bonovich M, Vinson C, Yuspa S. Activator protein 1 transcription factors are fundamental to v-rasHa-induced changes in gene expression in neoplastic keratinocytes. Cancer Res. 2000;60:6332-8 pubmed..These findings indicate that AP-1 proteins are involved in the changes in gene expression that define the v-rasHa phenotype in mouse keratinocytes. ..
- Boothman L, Sharp T. A role for midbrain raphe gamma aminobutyric acid neurons in 5-hydroxytryptamine feedback control. Neuroreport. 2005;16:891-6 pubmed..These findings suggest that activated local GABA neurons may play an important role in 5-HT2 receptor-mediated feedback control of DRN 5-HT neurons...
- Roullet F, Liénard F, Datiche F, Cattarelli M. Fos protein expression in olfactory-related brain areas after learning and after reactivation of a slowly acquired olfactory discrimination task in the rat. Learn Mem. 2005;12:307-17 pubmed..Our results support the assumption of a differential involvement of neuronal networks after either learning or reactivation of an olfactory discrimination task. ..
- Sebens J, Kuipers S, Koch T, ter Horst G, Korf J. Limited participation of 5-HT(1A) and 5-HT(2A/2C) receptors in the clozapine-induced Fos-protein expression in rat forebrain regions. Eur J Pharmacol. 2000;408:11-7 pubmed..The present results indicate that the clozapine-induced patterns of Fos expression in the rat forebrain can only be in part attributed to an interaction with 5-HT(1A/2A/2C) receptors. ..
- Acquaviva C, Ferrara P, Bossis G, Brockly F, Salvat C, Jariel Encontre I, et al. Degradation of cellular and viral Fos proteins. Biochimie. 2001;83:357-62 pubmed
- Kabelik D, Kelly A, Goodson J. Dopaminergic regulation of mate competition aggression and aromatase-Fos colocalization in vasotocin neurons. Neuropharmacology. 2010;58:117-25 pubmed publisher..Thus, although VT and DA appear to influence mate competition aggression independently, BSTm VT neurons are clearly influenced by the activation of D(2) receptors, which may modify future behaviors. ..
- Sterniczuk R, Colijn M, Nunez M, Antle M. Investigating the role of substance P in photic responses of the circadian system: individual and combined actions with gastrin-releasing peptide. Neuropharmacology. 2010;58:277-85 pubmed publisher..Distinct biochemical mechanisms that underlie behavioral phase shifts may account for the differences observed in the early- vs. late-subjective night. ..
- Munoz A, Rodriguez Pallares J, Guerra M, Labandeira Garcia J. Host brain regulation of dopaminergic grafts function: role of the serotonergic and noradrenergic systems in amphetamine-induced responses. Synapse. 2003;47:66-76 pubmed..However, indirect effects exerted by the noradrenergic system on the normal striatum were not observed in the DA-denervated and grafted striata. ..
- Yoon S, Kim H, Roh D, Kwon Y, Jeong T, Han H, et al. The anti-inflammatory effect of peripheral bee venom stimulation is mediated by central muscarinic type 2 receptors and activation of sympathetic preganglionic neurons. Brain Res. 2005;1049:210-6 pubmed..This activation ultimately leads to the release of adrenal catecholamines that contribute to dBVAI. ..
- Whitaker K, Reyes T. Central blockade of melanocortin receptors attenuates the metabolic and locomotor responses to peripheral interleukin-1beta administration. Neuropharmacology. 2008;54:509-20 pubmed..Further, HS014 blocked the induction of Fos-ir in the PVH. These data highlight the importance of the melanocortin system, particularly within the PVH, in mediating a broad range of metabolic responses to IL-1beta. ..
- Kim E, Mizuno T. Xenin delays gastric emptying rate and activates the brainstem in mice. Neurosci Lett. 2010;481:59-63 pubmed publisher..These findings support the hypothesis that xenin-induced anorexia is at least partly due to delayed gastric emptying and the activation of the NTS cells. ..
- Olszewski P, Li D, Grace M, Billington C, Kotz C, Levine A. Neural basis of orexigenic effects of ghrelin acting within lateral hypothalamus. Peptides. 2003;24:597-602 pubmed..Also, LH ghrelin induced Fos IR in LH orexin neurons. We conclude that the LH, as part of larger central circuitry, integrates orexigenic properties of ghrelin. ..
- Trevitt J, Morrow J, Marshall J. Dopamine manipulation alters immediate-early gene response of striatal parvalbumin interneurons to cortical stimulation. Brain Res. 2005;1035:41-50 pubmed..Taken together, these results indicate that DA may importantly control striatal output via influences on PV-ir interneurons. Possible mechanisms for these influences are discussed. ..
- Turner M, Gray T, Mickiewicz A, Napier T. Fos expression following activation of the ventral pallidum in normal rats and in a model of Parkinson's Disease: implications for limbic system and basal ganglia interactions. Brain Struct Funct. 2008;213:197-213 pubmed publisher..As the VP regulates motivation and cognition, adaptations in this system may contribute to the mood and mnemonic disorders that can accompany PD. ..
- Moreira F, Guimarães F. Lack of effects of clomipramine on Fos and NADPH-diaphorase double-staining in the periaqueductal gray after exposure to an innate fear stimulus. Physiol Behav. 2008;94:316-21 pubmed publisher..Thus, the present results reinforce the hypothesis that NO may coordinate defensive responses in the dlPAG and indicate that this mechanism may not be modulated by a serotonin re-uptake inhibitor. ..
- Brunton P, Meddle S, Ma S, Ochedalski T, Douglas A, Russell J. Endogenous opioids and attenuated hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis responses to immune challenge in pregnant rats. J Neurosci. 2005;25:5117-26 pubmed..Thus, the HPA axis responses to immune signals are suppressed in pregnancy at the level of pPVN CRH neurons through an opioid mechanism, possibly acting by preterminal autoinhibition of NTS projections to the pPVN. ..
- Chu C, Kato K, Jin Q, Qiu D, Yu N, Oiso Y, et al. Enhanced cardiovascular alteration and Fos expression induced by central salt loading in a conscious rat transgenic for the metallothionein-vasopressin fusion gene. Neurosci Res. 2005;53:147-55 pubmed..c.v. administration of HS in AVP Tg rats, suggesting the relationship between the vasopressinergic drive and central cardiovascular response via, at least in part, the V1 receptor in the PVN magnocellular neurons. ..
- Miller J, McAuley J, Pang K. Spontaneous fos expression in the suprachiasmatic nucleus of young and old mice. Neurobiol Aging. 2005;26:1107-15 pubmed..These results are discussed in the context of current research on spontaneous and light-induced c-Fos expression in the SCN of rodents. ..
- Keller M, Meurisse M, Lévy F. Mapping the neural substrates involved in maternal responsiveness and lamb olfactory memory in parturient ewes using Fos imaging. Behav Neurosci. 2004;118:1274-84 pubmed
- Ruud J, Blomqvist A. Identification of rat brainstem neuronal structures activated during cancer-induced anorexia. J Comp Neurol. 2007;504:275-86 pubmed
- Le Merrer J, Gavello Baudy S, Galey D, Cazala P. Morphine self-administration into the lateral septum depends on dopaminergic mechanisms: Evidence from pharmacology and Fos neuroimaging. Behav Brain Res. 2007;180:203-17 pubmed..Furthermore, they suggest that opioid peptides released in the LS could participate in regulating the activity of mesotegmental dopaminergic neurons. ..
- Dayas C, Liu X, Simms J, Weiss F. Distinct patterns of neural activation associated with ethanol seeking: effects of naltrexone. Biol Psychiatry. 2007;61:979-89 pubmed..In addition, the data implicate the hippocampus, amygdala, and PVN as potential substrates for the inhibitory effects of NTX on conditioned reinstatement. ..
- Lino de Oliveira C, de Oliveira R, Pádua Carobrez A, De Lima T, Del Bel E, Guimarães F. Antidepressant treatment reduces Fos-like immunoreactivity induced by swim stress in different columns of the periaqueductal gray matter. Brain Res Bull. 2006;70:414-21 pubmed..These results indicate that neurons in the PAG are activated by uncontrollable stress. Moreover, inhibitory action of antidepressants on this activity may be associated with the anti-immobility effects of these drugs in the FST. ..
- Gupta M, Neelakantan T, Sanghamitra M, Tyagi R, Dinda A, Maulik S, et al. An assessment of the role of reactive oxygen species and redox signaling in norepinephrine-induced apoptosis and hypertrophy of H9c2 cardiac myoblasts. Antioxid Redox Signal. 2006;8:1081-93 pubmed..Therefore, NE induces hypertrophy and apoptosis in cardiac myocytes by distinct redox-signaling rather than a general surge of ROS...
- Zombeck J, Chen G, Johnson Z, Rosenberg D, Craig A, Rhodes J. Neuroanatomical specificity of conditioned responses to cocaine versus food in mice. Physiol Behav. 2008;93:637-50 pubmed..One difference between drugs and natural reinforcers may be lack of feedback from the periphery for drugs which may circumvent control from the hypothalamus in the development of reinforcement circuits. ..
- McCormick C, Ibrahim F. Locomotor activity to nicotine and Fos immunoreactivity in the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus in adolescent socially-stressed rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2007;86:92-102 pubmed..These results add to evidence that adolescents are uniquely vulnerable to stressors due to ongoing brain development, and also indicate that effects are sex- and stressor-specific. ..
- Hamlin A, McNally G, Westbrook R, Osborne P. Induction of Fos proteins in regions of the nucleus accumbens and ventrolateral striatum correlates with catalepsy and stereotypic behaviours induced by morphine. Neuropharmacology. 2009;56:798-807 pubmed..These data provide further confirmation that psychomotor sensitisation induced by repetitive morphine exposure involves long-term neuroadaptations in basal ganglia circuitry particularly at the level of the nucleus accumbens. ..