Genomes and Genes
oncogene protein v akt
Summary: A viral oncoprotein originally isolated from a murine T CELL LYMPHOMA infected with the acutely transforming retrovirus AKT8. v-akt protein is the viral homologue of PROTO-ONCOGENE PROTEINS C-AKT.
- Lee M, Lim H, Lee S, Han H. Smad, PI3K/Akt, and Wnt-dependent signaling pathways are involved in BMP-4-induced ESC self-renewal. Stem Cells. 2009;27:1858-68 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, BMP-4 contributed to the maintenance of cell proliferation and the pluripotent state by Smad, PI3K/Akt, and Wnt1/beta-catenin in mouse ESCs. ..
- Nava K, Ordoñez Rueda D, Sarukhan A, Chávez Rios J, Garcia Zepeda E, Soldevila G. A specific signalling signature characterizes the development of naturally occurring and antigen-specific regulatory T cells. Immunol Invest. 2009;38:851-67 pubmed publisher..We conclude that thymus-derived Tregs display a characteristic "signalling signature" that suggests qualitative differences in TCR-mediated signalling that may not be explained merely by a higher TCR avidity. ..
- Toulany M, Kehlbach R, Rodemann H, Mozdarani H. Radiocontrast media affect radiation-induced DNA damage repair in vitro and in vivo by affecting Akt signalling. Radiother Oncol. 2010;94:110-6 pubmed publisher..Iohexol only blocked phosphorylation of Akt and DNA-PKcs at S2056. RCM result in clastogenic effects through interference intracellular signalling cascades involved in the regulation of non-homologous end-joining repair of DNA-DSB. ..
- Cho J, Kim Y, Park S, Cho S, Lee H. Mycobacterium tuberculosis-induced expression of Leukotactin-1 is mediated by the PI3-K/PDK1/Akt signaling pathway. Mol Cells. 2010;29:35-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Lkn-1 is novel member of the group of chemokines that is released by macrophages infected with MTB. ..
- Okada K, Tanaka H, Temporin K, Okamoto M, Kuroda Y, Moritomo H, et al. Methylcobalamin increases Erk1/2 and Akt activities through the methylation cycle and promotes nerve regeneration in a rat sciatic nerve injury model. Exp Neurol. 2010;222:191-203 pubmed publisher..Therefore, methylcobalamin may provide the basis for better treatments of nervous disorders through effective systemic or local delivery of high doses of methylcobalamin to target organs. ..
- Efferson C, Winkelmann C, Ware C, Sullivan T, Giampaoli S, Tammam J, et al. Downregulation of Notch pathway by a gamma-secretase inhibitor attenuates AKT/mammalian target of rapamycin signaling and glucose uptake in an ERBB2 transgenic breast cancer model. Cancer Res. 2010;70:2476-84 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that GSI may provide therapeutic benefit to a subset of ERBB2-positive breast cancers and that [(18)F]FDG-PET imaging may be useful in monitoring clinical response. ..
- Dreyer H, Drummond M, Pennings B, Fujita S, Glynn E, Chinkes D, et al. Leucine-enriched essential amino acid and carbohydrate ingestion following resistance exercise enhances mTOR signaling and protein synthesis in human muscle. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2008;294:E392-400 pubmed..05). Our data suggest that enhanced activation of the mTOR signaling pathway is playing a role in the greater synthesis of muscle proteins when resistance exercise is followed by EAA+CHO ingestion. ..
- Olbrich T, Ziegler E, Türk G, Schubert A, Emons G, Gründker C. Kisspeptin-10 inhibits bone-directed migration of GPR54-positive breast cancer cells: Evidence for a dose-window effect. Gynecol Oncol. 2010;119:571-8 pubmed publisher..In addition, we found evidence for a KP-10 dose-window effect. Furthermore, the SDF-1/CXCR4 system seems to be involved in the anti-migratory action of KP-10. ..
- Tu H, Xu C, Zhang W, Liu Q, Rondard P, Pin J, et al. GABAB receptor activation protects neurons from apoptosis via IGF-1 receptor transactivation. J Neurosci. 2010;30:749-59 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal GABA(B) receptor as a potential drug target for the treatment of neurodegenerative disorders. ..
- Altomare D, Zhang L, Deng J, Di Cristofano A, Klein Szanto A, Kumar R, et al. GSK690693 delays tumor onset and progression in genetically defined mouse models expressing activated Akt. Clin Cancer Res. 2010;16:486-96 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that GSK690693 or other Akt inhibitors might have therapeutic efficacy in human cancers with hyperactivated Akt and/or a dependence on Akt signaling for tumor progression. ..
- Mailankot M, Howell S, Nagaraj R. Kynurenine inhibits fibroblast growth factor 2-mediated expression of crystallins and MIP26 in lens epithelial cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1802:609-20 pubmed publisher..Together our data suggest that KYN might inhibit FGF2-mediated fiber cell differentiation by preventing expression of crystallins and MIP26. Our studies provide a novel mechanism by which KYN can exert deleterious effects in cells. ..
- Nam J, Onodera Y, Bissell M, Park C. Breast cancer cells in three-dimensional culture display an enhanced radioresponse after coordinate targeting of integrin alpha5beta1 and fibronectin. Cancer Res. 2010;70:5238-48 pubmed publisher..Our findings offer preclinical validation of fibronectin and alpha5beta1-integrin as targets for breast cancer therapy. ..
- Pal A, Tewari Singh N, Gu M, Agarwal C, Huang J, Day B, et al. Sulfur mustard analog induces oxidative stress and activates signaling cascades in the skin of SKH-1 hairless mice. Free Radic Biol Med. 2009;47:1640-51 pubmed publisher..These novel molecular targets could be supportive in the development of prophylactic and therapeutic interventions against HD-related skin injury. ..
- Ko M, Jian K, Shi L, Ko G. Phosphatidylinositol 3 kinase-Akt signaling serves as a circadian output in the retina. J Neurochem. 2009;108:1607-20 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of either pathway abolished the L-VGCC rhythm indicating that there were multiple mechanisms involved in the circadian regulation of L-VGCC rhythms in retina photoreceptors. ..
- Akazawa T, Kwatra S, Goldsmith L, Richardson M, Cox E, Sampson J, et al. A constitutively active form of neurokinin 1 receptor and neurokinin 1 receptor-mediated apoptosis in glioblastomas. J Neurochem. 2009;109:1079-86 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the results of the present study indicate a key role for NK1R in glioblastoma apoptosis. ..
- Nagata D, Kiyosue A, Takahashi M, Satonaka H, Tanaka K, Sata M, et al. A new constitutively active mutant of AMP-activated protein kinase inhibits anoxia-induced apoptosis of vascular endothelial cell. Hypertens Res. 2009;32:133-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, NcaAMPK inhibited anoxia-induced apoptosis in vascular endothelial cells through Akt activation, suggesting that activation of AMPK might protect against ischemic vascular injury. ..
- Hu M, Deshpande A, Enos M, Mao D, Hinds E, Hu G, et al. A requirement for cyclin-dependent kinase 6 in thymocyte development and tumorigenesis. Cancer Res. 2009;69:810-8 pubmed publisher..These results show a critical requirement for CDK6 in Notch/Akt-dependent T-cell development and tumorigenesis and strongly support CDK6 as a specific therapeutic target in human lymphoid malignancies. ..
- Bajaj A, Zheng Q, Adam A, Vincent P, Pumiglia K. Activation of endothelial ras signaling bypasses senescence and causes abnormal vascular morphogenesis. Cancer Res. 2010;70:3803-12 pubmed publisher..This abnormal phenotype is regulated by phosphoinositide 3-kinase signaling, highlighting the therapeutic potential of agents targeting this axis in dealing with vascular morphogenic disorders and vascular normalization of tumors. ..
- Grimshaw K, Hunter L, Yap T, Heaton S, Walton M, Woodhead S, et al. AT7867 is a potent and oral inhibitor of AKT and p70 S6 kinase that induces pharmacodynamic changes and inhibits human tumor xenograft growth. Mol Cancer Ther. 2010;9:1100-10 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the novel strategy of AKT and p70S6K blockade may have therapeutic value and supports further evaluation of AT7867 as a single-agent anticancer strategy. ..
- Eiselleova L, Matulka K, Kriz V, Kunova M, Schmidtova Z, Neradil J, et al. A complex role for FGF-2 in self-renewal, survival, and adhesion of human embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells. 2009;27:1847-57 pubmed publisher..This stimulation of self-renewal, cell survival, and adhesion by exogenous and endogenous FGF-2 may synergize to maintain the undifferentiated growth of hESCs. ..
- Spangle J, M nger K. The human papillomavirus type 16 E6 oncoprotein activates mTORC1 signaling and increases protein synthesis. J Virol. 2010;84:9398-407 pubmed publisher..HPV16 E6-mediated activation of mTORC1 signaling and cap-dependent translation may be a mechanism to promote viral replication under conditions of limited nutrient supply in differentiated, HPV oncoprotein-expressing proliferating cells...
- Zhu L, Lemoine S, Babatasi G, Lepage O, Massetti M, Gerard J, et al. Sevoflurane- and desflurane-induced human myocardial post-conditioning through Phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase/Akt signalling. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2009;53:949-56 pubmed publisher..Wortmannin alone had no effect on the recovery of force (57 +/- 7% of baseline). In vitro, sevoflurane and desflurane post-conditioned human myocardium against hypoxia through activation of phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase. ..
- Zimmer Y, Vaseva A, Medová M, Streit B, Blank Liss W, Greiner R, et al. Differential inhibition sensitivities of MET mutants to the small molecule inhibitor SU11274. Cancer Lett. 2010;289:228-36 pubmed publisher..In all the assays, H1112L was the most sensitive to SU11274, while V1206L was less affected under the used concentration range. The differences in responses to SU11274 are discussed based on a structural model of the MET kinase domain. ..
- Ebrahim A, Ko L, Yen S. Reduced expression of peroxisome-proliferator activated receptor gamma coactivator-1alpha enhances alpha-synuclein oligomerization and down regulates AKT/GSK3beta signaling pathway in human neuronal cells that inducibly express alpha-synuclein. Neurosci Lett. 2010;473:120-5 pubmed publisher..Together these findings indicate that such knockdown increases the propensity to accumulate alpha-Syn oligomers, but the accumulation appears to have very little toxic impact to the neuronal cells. ..
- Jaganathan S, Yue P, Turkson J. Enhanced sensitivity of pancreatic cancer cells to concurrent inhibition of aberrant signal transducer and activator of transcription 3 and epidermal growth factor receptor or Src. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010;333:373-81 pubmed publisher..These studies strongly suggest that the concurrent targeting of Stat3 and EGFR or Src could be a beneficial therapeutic approach for pancreatic cancer. ..
- Muthusamy T, Murugesan P, Balasubramanian K. Sex steroids deficiency impairs glucose transporter 4 expression and its translocation through defective Akt phosphorylation in target tissues of adult male rat. Metabolism. 2009;58:1581-92 pubmed publisher..It is concluded from the present study that sex steroids deficiency-induced defective glucose uptake in skeletal muscle and adipose tissue is mediated through defective Akt phosphorylation and GLUT4 expression in plasma membrane. ..
- Beauchamp M, Knafo A, Yasmeen A, Carboni J, Gottardis M, Pollak M, et al. BMS-536924 sensitizes human epithelial ovarian cancer cells to the PARP inhibitor, 3-aminobenzamide. Gynecol Oncol. 2009;115:193-8 pubmed publisher..Moreover, it suggests that combination therapy using BMS-536924 with a PARP inhibitor might be an effective strategy to circumvent resistance to treatment in clinical settings. ..
- Yang H, Xiong F, Wei X, Yang Y, McNutt M, Zhou R. Overexpression of LAPTM4B-35 promotes growth and metastasis of hepatocellular carcinoma in vitro and in vivo. Cancer Lett. 2010;294:236-44 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that overexpression of LAPTM4B-35 plays a critical role in the growth and metastasis of HCC, and LAPTM4B-35 may therefore be a therapeutic target for HCC. ..
- Urano Tashiro Y, Sasaki H, Sugawara Kawasaki M, Yamada T, Sugiyama A, Akiyama H, et al. Implication of Akt-dependent Prp19 alpha/14-3-3beta/Cdc5L complex formation in neuronal differentiation. J Neurosci Res. 2010;88:2787-97 pubmed publisher..These results imply that Akt-dependent phosphorylation of PRP19 alpha at Thr193 triggers PRP19 alpha/14-3-3beta/CDC5L complex formation in the nuclei, likely to assemble the active spliceosome against neurogenic pre-mRNAs. ..
- Drouin A, Thorin E. Flow-induced dilation is mediated by Akt-dependent activation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase-derived hydrogen peroxide in mouse cerebral arteries. Stroke. 2009;40:1827-33 pubmed publisher..u., respectively; P<0.05), but not acetylcholine-induced dilation. In healthy C57Bl/6 mouse cerebral arteries, Akt-dependent activation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase-derived H(2)O(2) mediates flow-dependent dilation. ..
- Sonoda Y, Warita M, Suzuki T, Ozawa H, Fukuda Y, Funakoshi Tago M, et al. Proteolipid protein 2 is associated with melanoma metastasis. Oncol Rep. 2010;23:371-6 pubmed..These results suggest that PLP2 aids metastasis. Furthermore, we showed that PLP2 binds specifically to PI3K, thus activating Akt. ..
- Fonseca A, Proença T, Resende R, Oliveira C, Pereira C. Neuroprotective effects of statins in an in vitro model of Alzheimer's disease. J Alzheimers Dis. 2009;17:503-17 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our results revealed that simvastatin, at neuroprotective concentrations against Abeta-induced toxicity, is not able to activate Akt or ERK2, two signaling kinases with neuroprotective roles against apoptosis. ..
- Zhang C, Zhu H, Yang X, Lou J, Zhu D, Lu W, et al. P53 and p38 MAPK pathways are involved in MONCPT-induced cell cycle G2/M arrest in human non-small cell lung cancer A549. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2010;136:437-45 pubmed publisher..0 nM MONCPT after 48 h. Cell cycle regulators, AKT, p53, and MAPK, as therapeutic targets for MONCPT to induce cell cycle G2/M arrest in the context of anticancer therapy. ..
- Giménez Xavier P, Francisco R, Santidrian A, Gil J, Ambrosio S. Effects of dopamine on LC3-II activation as a marker of autophagy in a neuroblastoma cell model. Neurotoxicology. 2009;30:658-65 pubmed publisher..As we have reported previously, cytosolic dopamine may cause damage by autophagy in neuroblastoma cells (and presumably in dopaminergic neurons), which develops to apoptosis and leads to cell degeneration. ..
- Choi E, Ryu Y, Kim S, Wu H, Kim J, Kim I, et al. Targeting epidermal growth factor receptor-associated signaling pathways in non-small cell lung cancer cells: implication in radiation response. Mol Cancer Res. 2010;8:1027-36 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest possible mechanisms for counteracting EGFR prosurvival signaling implicated in radioresistance and offer an alternative strategy for overcoming resistance to EGFR inhibitors used in combination with irradiation. ..
- Van Der Heijden M, Bernards R. Inhibition of the PI3K pathway: hope we can believe in?. Clin Cancer Res. 2010;16:3094-9 pubmed publisher..Ongoing research should clarify which molecular cancer subtypes are most susceptible to specific compounds and explore combinatorial approaches, ultimately leading to individualized patient treatment. ..
- Mayer C, Belsham D. Central insulin signaling is attenuated by long-term insulin exposure via insulin receptor substrate-1 serine phosphorylation, proteasomal degradation, and lysosomal insulin receptor degradation. Endocrinology. 2010;151:75-84 pubmed publisher..Thus, a sustained elevation of insulin levels diminishes neuronal insulin signaling through mTOR-S6K1-mediated IRS-1 serine phosphorylation, proteasomal degradation of IRS-1 and lysosomal degradation of the IR. ..
- Meikle L, Pollizzi K, Egnor A, Kramvis I, Lane H, Sahin M, et al. Response of a neuronal model of tuberous sclerosis to mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) inhibitors: effects on mTORC1 and Akt signaling lead to improved survival and function. J Neurosci. 2008;28:5422-32 pubmed publisher..Although caution is appropriate, the results suggest the possibility that rapamycin/RAD001 may have benefit in the treatment of TSC brain disease, including infantile spasms. ..
- Li L, Wei X, Pan Y, Li H, Yang H, He Q, et al. LAPTM4B: a novel cancer-associated gene motivates multidrug resistance through efflux and activating PI3K/AKT signaling. Oncogene. 2010;29:5785-95 pubmed publisher..These findings provide a promising novel strategy for sensitizing chemical therapy of cancers and increasing the chemotherapeutic efficacy through knockdown LAPTM4B-35 expression by RNAi. ..
- Tsukamoto Y, Nakada C, Noguchi T, Tanigawa M, Nguyen L, Uchida T, et al. MicroRNA-375 is downregulated in gastric carcinomas and regulates cell survival by targeting PDK1 and 14-3-3zeta. Cancer Res. 2010;70:2339-49 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we propose that miR-375 is a candidate tumor suppressor miRNA in gastric carcinoma. ..
- Uddin S, Bavi P, Siraj A, Ahmed M, Al Rasheed M, Hussain A, et al. Leptin-R and its association with PI3K/AKT signaling pathway in papillary thyroid carcinoma. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2010;17:191-202 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these data show that leptin plays an important role in PTC pathogenesis through PI3K/AKT pathway via Ob-R and is a potential prognostic marker associated with an aggressive phenotype and poor disease-free survival. ..
- Narayanan S, Flores A, Wang F, Macklin W. Akt signals through the mammalian target of rapamycin pathway to regulate CNS myelination. J Neurosci. 2009;29:6860-70 pubmed publisher..However, when mTOR was chronically inhibited in young adult wild-type mice, myelination was reduced. These results suggest that, during active myelination, the major Akt signal regulating CNS myelination is the mTOR pathway. ..
- Wen Y, Wang Q, Zhou C, Qiu G, Peng Z, Tang H. Mutation analysis of tumor suppressor gene PTEN in patients with gastric carcinomas and its impact on PI3K/AKT pathway. Oncol Rep. 2010;24:89-95 pubmed..The decreased expression of PTEN and E-cadherin, together with the overexpression of PI3K, AKT, MMP-2, MMP-9 and NF-kappaBp65, contributed cooperatively to the accelerated progress of gastric cancer. ..
- Ramírez A, Castro M, Angulo C, Ramió L, Rivera M, Torres M, et al. The presence and function of dopamine type 2 receptors in boar sperm: a possible role for dopamine in viability, capacitation, and modulation of sperm motility. Biol Reprod. 2009;80:753-61 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results support the idea that dopamine may have a fundamental role during sperm capacitation and motility in situ in the female upper reproductive tract. ..
- Gao Y, Deng K, Cao Z, Graziani E, Gilbert A, Koehn F, et al. Amphotericin B, identified from a natural product screen, antagonizes CNS inhibitors to promote axon growth via activation of an Akt pathway in neurons. J Neurochem. 2010;113:1331-42 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that AmB can promote neurite outgrowth over a wide range of inhibitory substrates via a mechanism that involves activation of Akt. ..
- Preuss I, Hildebrand D, Orth J, Aktories K, Kubatzky K. Pasteurella multocida toxin is a potent activator of anti-apoptotic signalling pathways. Cell Microbiol. 2010;12:1174-85 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that PMT is a highly potent anti-apoptotic agent, which supports the view of a carcinogenic potential of the toxin...
- Szanto A, Bognar Z, Szigeti A, Szabo A, Farkas L, Gallyas F. Critical role of bad phosphorylation by Akt in cytostatic resistance of human bladder cancer cells. Anticancer Res. 2009;29:159-64 pubmed..Akt-mediated Bad phosphorylation plays an important role in preservation of mitochondrial membrane systems leading to paclitaxel resistance in T24 cells. ..
- Mi Z, Rogers D, Mirnics Z, Schor N. p75NTR-dependent modulation of cellular handling of reactive oxygen species. J Neurochem. 2009;110:295-306 pubmed publisher..In addition, decreased de novo GSH synthesis and increased GSH consumption are observed in p75NTR-deficient cells. These findings indicate that p75NTR regulates cellular handling of ROS to effect a survival response to oxidative stress. ..