Genomes and Genes
sox9 transcription factor
Summary: A SOXE transcription factor that plays a critical role in regulating CHONDROGENESIS; OSTEOGENESIS; and male sex determination. Loss of function of the SOX9 transcription factor due to genetic mutations is a cause of CAMPOMELIC DYSPLASIA.
- Miyamoto K, Ohkawara B, Ito M, Masuda A, Hirakawa A, Sakai T, et al. Fluoxetine ameliorates cartilage degradation in osteoarthritis by inhibiting Wnt/?-catenin signaling. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184388 pubmed publisher..Fluoxetine suppressed LiCl-induced ?-catenin accumulation in human OA chondrocytes. Intraarticular injection of fluoxetine in a rat OA model ameliorated OA progression and suppressed ?-catenin accumulation. ..
- Wu G, Li H, Tey W, Lin C, Chang C. Expression profile of amh/Amh during bi-directional sex change in the protogynous orange-spotted grouper Epinephelus coioides. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185864 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Amh signaling might play dual roles during bi-directional sex change in grouper...
- Chen W, DiFrancesco L. Chondroblastoma: An Update. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2017;141:867-871 pubmed publisher..While generally regarded as a benign entity, chondroblastoma manifests an intermediate type of behavior, given its ability to recur locally, and rarely, metastasize. ..
- Kuroki S, Okashita N, Baba S, Maeda R, Miyawaki S, Yano M, et al. Rescuing the aberrant sex development of H3K9 demethylase Jmjd1a-deficient mice by modulating H3K9 methylation balance. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1007034 pubmed publisher..Our study not only reveals the molecular mechanism underlying the tuning of Sry expression but also provides proof on the principle of therapeutic strategies based on the pharmacological modulation of epigenetic balance. ..
- Krüger L, Gonzalez L, Pridgen T, McCall S, von Furstenberg R, Harnden I, et al. Ductular and proliferative response of esophageal submucosal glands in a porcine model of esophageal injury and repair. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2017;313:G180-G191 pubmed publisher..In addition, the SOX9 transcription factor has been associated with generation of columnar epithelium and the pathogenesis of BE and is present in ..
- Lefebvre V, Huang W, Harley V, Goodfellow P, de Crombrugghe B. SOX9 is a potent activator of the chondrocyte-specific enhancer of the pro alpha1(II) collagen gene. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:2336-46 pubmed..We speculate that in campomelic dysplasia a decrease in SOX9 activity would inhibit production of collagen II, and eventually other cartilage matrix proteins, leading to major skeletal anomalies. ..
- Rahmoun M, Lavery R, Laurent Chaballier S, Bellora N, Philip G, Rossitto M, et al. In mammalian foetal testes, SOX9 regulates expression of its target genes by binding to genomic regions with conserved signatures. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:7191-7211 pubmed publisher..Starting from the hypothesis that nuclear factors that bind to genomic regions with SCS could functionally interact with SOX9, we identified TRIM28 as a new SOX9 partner in foetal testes. ..
- Dai L, Zhang X, Hu X, Zhou C, Ao Y. Silencing of microRNA-101 prevents IL-1?-induced extracellular matrix degradation in chondrocytes. Arthritis Res Ther. 2012;14:R268 pubmed publisher..miR-101 participates in IL-1?-induced chondrocyte ECM degradation. Down-regulating miR-101 expression can prevent the IL-1?-induced ECM degradation in chondrocytes. miR-101 probably functions by directly targeting Sox9 mRNA. ..
- Cortes Y, Ojeda M, Araya D, Dueñas F, Fernandez M, Peralta O. Isolation and multilineage differentiation of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells from abattoir-derived bovine fetuses. BMC Vet Res. 2013;9:133 pubmed publisher..The simplicity of isolation and the differentiation potential suggest that bMSC from abattoir-derived fetal BM are appropriate candidate for investigating MSC biology and for eventual applications for regenerative therapy. ..
- Anderson B, McAlinden A. miR-483 targets SMAD4 to suppress chondrogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells. J Orthop Res. 2017;35:2369-2377 pubmed publisher..2017 Orthopaedic Research Society. Published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. J Orthop Res 35:2369-2377, 2017. ..
- Xiong X, Dai L, Liang W, Zhang J, Qin S, Cao W, et al. Protective effect of p53 on the viability of intervertebral disc nucleus pulposus cells under low glucose condition. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;490:1414-1419 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the expression of Sox 9 and type II collagen were higher in p53 normal control than p53 knockdown NP cells. Based on these results, we believe that relative high p53 facilitates NP cell viability and integrity. ..
- Song Z, Lian X, Wang Y, Xiang Y, Li G. KLF15 regulates in vitro chondrogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells by targeting SOX9. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:1082-1088 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings show that KLF15 promotes chondrogenic differentiation of human MSCs by activating SOX9. ..
- Popp F, Popp M, Zhao Y, Betzler C, Kropf S, Garlipp B, et al. Protocol of the PANCALYZE trial: a multicenter, prospective study investigating the tumor biomarkers CXCR4, SMAD4, SOX9 and IFIT3 in patients with resected pancreatic adenocarcinoma to predict the pattern of recurrence of the disease. BMC Cancer. 2017;17:229 pubmed publisher..In the future, biomarker expression analysis could be performed on tumor biopsies to develop personalized therapeutic pathways right after diagnosis of cancer. German Clinical Trials Register, DRKS00006179 . ..
- Li F, Yao Q, Ao L, Cleveland J, Dong N, Fullerton D, et al. Klotho suppresses high phosphate-induced osteogenic responses in human aortic valve interstitial cells through inhibition of Sox9. J Mol Med (Berl). 2017;95:739-751 pubmed publisher..Calcified human aortic valves have lower levels of Klotho. Klotho suppresses Sox9 upregulation and intranuclear translocation. Klotho inhibits high phosphate-induced osteogenic activity in human AVICs. ..
- Cui Y, Cui C, Yang Z, Ni W, Jin Y, Xuan Y. Gli1 expression in cancer stem-like cells predicts poor prognosis in patients with lung squamous cell carcinoma. Exp Mol Pathol. 2017;102:347-353 pubmed publisher..026). Our results suggest that Gli1 may be a potential LSCC stem cell marker and an independent indicator of poor prognosis for patients with LSCC. ..
- Ma F, Ye H, He H, Gerrin S, Chen S, Tanenbaum B, et al. SOX9 drives WNT pathway activation in prostate cancer. J Clin Invest. 2016;126:1745-58 pubmed publisher..Together, our data indicate that SOX9 expression drives PCa by reactivating the WNT/?-catenin signaling that mediates ductal morphogenesis in fetal prostate and define a subgroup of patients who would benefit from WNT-targeted therapy. ..
- Barter M, Gomez R, Hyatt S, Cheung K, Skelton A, Xu Y, et al. The long non-coding RNA ROCR contributes to SOX9 expression and chondrogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells. Development. 2017;144:4510-4521 pubmed publisher..Our work sheds further light on chondrocyte-specific SOX9 expression and highlights a novel method of chondrocyte gene regulation involving a lncRNA. ..
- Antoniou J, Wang H, Alaseem A, Haglund L, Roughley P, Mwale F. The effect of Link N on differentiation of human bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells. Arthritis Res Ther. 2012;14:R267 pubmed publisher..Link N can enhance chondrogenic differentiation and downregulate hypertrophic and osteogenic differentiation of human MSCs. Therefore, in principle, Link N could be used to optimize MSC-mediated repair of the degenerated disc. ..
- Chatzeli L, Gaete M, Tucker A. Fgf10 and Sox9 are essential for the establishment of distal progenitor cells during mouse salivary gland development. Development. 2017;144:2294-2305 pubmed publisher..These results provide new insights into the factors required for the expansion of salivary gland epithelial progenitors, which can be useful for organ regeneration therapy. ..
- Kamisan N, Naveen S, Ahmad R, Kamarul T, Tunku K. Chondrocyte density, proteoglycan content and gene expressions from native cartilage are species specific and not dependent on cartilage thickness: a comparative analysis between rat, rabbit and goat. BMC Vet Res. 2013;9:62 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the species-specific nature of the cartilage tissue should be considered during any data interpretation. ..
- Cao Z, Huang S, Dou C, Xiang Q, Dong S. Cyanidin suppresses autophagic activity regulating chondrocyte hypertrophic differentiation. J Cell Physiol. 2017;: pubmed publisher..Our results indicated that cyanidin was a potential therapeutic agent for keeping mature chondrocyte functions. ..
- Nam H, Karunanithi P, Loo W, Naveen S, Chen H, Hussin P, et al. The effects of staged intra-articular injection of cultured autologous mesenchymal stromal cells on the repair of damaged cartilage: a pilot study in caprine model. Arthritis Res Ther. 2013;15:R129 pubmed publisher..Significant differences between these 3 groups were observed (P <0.05). This study suggests that supplementing intra-articular injections of BM-MSCs following BMS knee surgery provides superior cartilage repair outcomes. ..
- Scholtes S, Kramer E, Weisser M, Roth W, Luginbühl R, Grossner T, et al. Global chondrocyte gene expression after a single anabolic loading period: Time evolution and re-inducibility of mechano-responses. J Cell Physiol. 2018;233:699-711 pubmed publisher..Upregulation of mechanosensitive indicators extending differentially into the resting time provides crucial knowledge to maximize cartilage matrix deposition for the generation of high-level cartilage replacement tissue. ..
- Möbius P, Preidl R, Weber M, Amann K, Neukam F, Wehrhan F. Re-expression of pro-fibrotic, embryonic preserved mediators in irradiated arterial vessels of the head and neck region. Strahlenther Onkol. 2017;193:951-960 pubmed publisher..Future pharmaceutical strategies targeting these vessel alterations, e.?g., bisphosphonates, might reduce postoperative complications in free tissue transfer. ..
- Yu W, Li X, Eliason S, Romero Bustillos M, Ries R, Cao H, et al. Irx1 regulates dental outer enamel epithelial and lung alveolar type II epithelial differentiation. Dev Biol. 2017;429:44-55 pubmed publisher..Mechanistically, Irx1 regulates Foxj1 and Sox9 to control cell differentiation during development. ..
- Sato K, Mera H, Wakitani S, Takagi M. Effect of epigallocatechin-3-gallate on the increase in type II collagen accumulation in cartilage-like MSC sheets. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2017;81:1241-1245 pubmed publisher..Taken together, EGCG may enhance the accumulation of type II collagen by suppressing type II collagen degradation. ..
- Ma Q, Wang Y, Zhang T, Zuo W. Notch-mediated Sox9+ cell activation contributes to kidney repair after partial nephrectomy. Life Sci. 2018;193:104-109 pubmed publisher..The current study reveals that Notch-mediated Sox9+ cell activation can contribute to kidney tubule regeneration after unilateral partial nephrectomy in mice. ..
- Díaz Hernández V, Vázquez Gómez A, Marmolejo Valencia A, Montaño L, Merchant Larios H. 17?-Estradiol modulates cell proliferation of medullary cords during ovarian differentiation of the Lepidochelys olivacea sea turtle. Dev Biol. 2017;431:263-271 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, our results showed that endogenous estradiol levels are unnecessary for the thickening of the ovarian cortex. ..
- Zhang X, Wu S, Naccarato T, Prakash Damani M, Chou Y, Chu C, et al. Regeneration of hyaline-like cartilage in situ with SOX9 stimulation of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180138 pubmed publisher..This short term in vivo study demonstrated that when administered at the site of microfracture, scSOX9 was able to induce reparative tissue with features of hyaline cartilage. ..
- Yenuganti V, Vanselow J. Cultured bovine granulosa cells rapidly lose important features of their identity and functionality but partially recover under long-term culture conditions. Cell Tissue Res. 2017;368:397-403 pubmed publisher..We conclude that only long-term culture conditions (>4 days) allow the cells to recover from plating stress and to re-acquire characteristic granulosa cell features. ..
- Du J, Xiong D, Zhang Q, Li X, Liu X, You H, et al. Mono-butyl phthalate-induced mouse testis injury is associated with oxidative stress and down-regulated expression of Sox9 and Dazl. J Toxicol Sci. 2017;42:319-328 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that oxidative stress and down-regulated expression of Sox9 and Dazl may play important roles in MBP-induced testis injury. ..
- Choudhary D, Kothari P, Tripathi A, Singh S, Adhikary S, Ahmad N, et al. Spinacia oleracea extract attenuates disease progression and sub-chondral bone changes in monosodium iodoacetate-induced osteoarthritis in rats. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2018;18:69 pubmed publisher..On the basis of in vitro and in vivo experiments performed with Spinacea oleracea extract we can deduce that SOE has the ability to alleviate the MIA induced deleterious effects. ..
- Xi J, Chen J, Xu M, Yang H, Luo J, Pan Y, et al. Genetic variability and functional implication of the long control region in HPV-16 variants in Southwest China. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182388 pubmed publisher..And it provides useful data for the further study of the biological function of HPV-16 LCR variants. ..
- Balani D, Ono N, Kronenberg H. Parathyroid hormone regulates fates of murine osteoblast precursors in vivo. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:3327-3338 pubmed publisher..Thus, teriparatide increases the numbers of early cells of the osteoblast lineage, hastens their differentiation into osteoblasts, and suppresses their differentiation into adipocytes in vivo. ..
- Pomp V, Leo C, Mauracher A, Korol D, Guo W, Varga Z. Differential expression of epithelialâ€“mesenchymal transition and stem cell markers in intrinsic subtypes of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2015;154:45-55 pubmed..This information is important in understanding the biology of triple negative breast cancer, also in terms of future studies dealing with targeted therapies based on the alterations of EMT and stem cell markers. ..
- Zhu Z, Dai J, Liao Y, Wang T. Sox9 Protects against Human Lung Fibroblast Cell Apoptosis Induced by LPS through Activation of the AKT/GSK3? Pathway. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2017;82:606-612 pubmed publisher..All these findings suggest that Sox9 acts as a novel marker for neonatal pneumonia and could be a new therapeutic target for this disease. ..
- Garcia G, Goodale B, Wiley M, La Du J, Hendrix D, Tanguay R. In Vivo Characterization of an AHR-Dependent Long Noncoding RNA Required for Proper Sox9b Expression. Mol Pharmacol. 2017;91:609-619 pubmed publisher..Our results place slincR as an intermediate between AHR2 activation and the reduction of sox9b mRNA in the AHR2 signaling pathway. ..