Genomes and Genes
nanog homeobox protein
Summary: A homeodomain protein and transcription regulator that functions in BLASTOCYST INNER CELL MASS and EMBRYONIC STEM CELL proliferation and CELL SELF RENEWAL. It confers pluripotency on embryonic stem cells and prevents their differentiation towards extraembryonic ENDODERM and trophectoderm (TROPHOBLAST) CELL LINEAGES.
- Hermitte S, Chazaud C. Primitive endoderm differentiation: from specification to epithelium formation. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2014;369: pubmed publisher..We review here the molecular mechanisms that have been uncovered during the past 10 years on PrE and epiblast cell lineage specification within the inner cell mass of the blastocyst and on their subsequent steps of differentiation. ..
- Fogarty N, McCarthy A, Snijders K, Powell B, Kubikova N, Blakeley P, et al. Genome editing reveals a role for OCT4 in human embryogenesis. Nature. 2017;550:67-73 pubmed publisher..We conclude that CRISPR-Cas9-mediated genome editing is a powerful method for investigating gene function in the context of human development. ..
- Xu G, Ye J, Liu X, Zhang N, Zhao Y, Fan J, et al. Activation of pluripotent genes in hepatic progenitor cells in the transition of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis to pre-malignant lesions. Lab Invest. 2017;97:1201-1217 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, pluripotent and morphogenic genes may contribute to the reprogramming of hepatic progenitor cells in driving these cells to be the origin of NASH-HCC in a steatotic and inflamed microenvironment. ..
- Li Y. Networks of Transcription Factors for Oct4 Expression in Mice. DNA Cell Biol. 2017;36:725-736 pubmed publisher..This article also discusses the mechanisms of fine-tuning the Oct4 expression. These findings have important implications in the field of stem cell and developmental biology. ..
- Song K, Choi C, Lee H, Oh S, Woo S, Hong S, et al. HDAC1 Upregulation by NANOG Promotes Multidrug Resistance and a Stem-like Phenotype in Immune Edited Tumor Cells. Cancer Res. 2017;77:5039-5053 pubmed publisher..i>Cancer Res; 77(18); 5039-53. Â©2017 AACR. ..
- Smith R, Stumpf P, Ridden S, Sim A, Filippi S, Harrington H, et al. Nanog Fluctuations in Embryonic Stem Cells Highlight the Problem of Measurement in Cell Biology. Biophys J. 2017;112:2641-2652 pubmed publisher..These findings help explain the range of published observations of Nanog variability and highlight the problem of measurement in live cells. ..
- Tang L, Wang M, Liu D, Gong M, Ying Q, Ye S. Sp5 induces the expression of Nanog to maintain mouse embryonic stem cell self-renewal. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185714 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study provides unrecognized functions of Sp5 in mESCs and will expand our current understanding of the regulation of mESC pluripotency. ..
- Divya M, Roshin G, Divya T, Rasheed V, Santhoshkumar T, Elizabeth K, et al. Umbilical cord blood-derived mesenchymal stem cells consist of a unique population of progenitors co-expressing mesenchymal stem cell and neuronal markers capable of instantaneous neuronal differentiation. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2012;3:57 pubmed publisher
- Pennacchio L, Visel A. Limits of sequence and functional conservation. Nat Genet. 2010;42:557-8 pubmed publisher..However, a new study demonstrates notable differences between human and mouse stem cell regulatory networks, suggesting caution in generalizing from sequence to functional conservation. ..
- Chen C, Jü R, Shi J, Chen W, Sun F, Zhu L, et al. Carboxyamidotriazole Synergizes with Sorafenib to Combat Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer through Inhibition of NANOG and Aggravation of Apoptosis. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2017;362:219-229 pubmed publisher..Our study illustrates that CAI enhances the antitumor activity of sorafenib in NSCLC and provides a novel strategy for NSCLC treatment. ..
- Ching R, Sze K, Lau E, Chiu Y, Lee J, Ng I, et al. C-terminal truncated hepatitis B virus X protein regulates tumorigenicity, self-renewal and drug resistance via STAT3/Nanog signaling pathway. Oncotarget. 2017;8:23507-23516 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data suggest that HBx-?C1 enhances liver CSCs properties through Stat3/Nanog cascade, and provide a new insight for the therapeutic intervention for HBV-related HCC. ..
- Deng L, Xiang X, Yang F, Xiao D, Liu K, Chen Z, et al. Functional evidence that the self-renewal gene NANOG regulates esophageal squamous cancer development. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;490:161-168 pubmed publisher..The present loss-of-function work, establish the integral role for NANOG in Eca109 cell proliferation, drug resistance, and shed light on its mechanisms of action. ..
- Pan X, Zhou J, Yao X, Shu J, Liu J, Yang J, et al. Transplantation of induced mesenchymal stem cells for treating chronic renal insufficiency. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176273 pubmed publisher..The ultimate goal was to explore the effects of iMSC transplantation on the treatment of chronic renal insufficiency, with the aim of providing a new therapeutic modality for this disease. ..
- Sultana R, Kataki A, Borthakur B, Basumatary T, Bose S. Imbalance in leptin-adiponectin levels and leptin receptor expression as chief contributors to triple negative breast cancer progression in Northeast India. Gene. 2017;621:51-58 pubmed publisher..Thus, the understanding of molecular mechanisms of both leptin and adiponectin and their interplay in TNBC offer the prospects for new therapeutic approaches targeting similar signalling pathways. ..
- Lee S, Wottrich S, Bonavida B. Crosstalks between Raf-kinase inhibitor protein and cancer stem cell transcription factors (Oct4, KLF4, Sox2, Nanog). Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317692253 pubmed publisher..Based on these analyses, we suggest that the expression level of Raf-kinase inhibitor protein may be involved in the regulation of the cancer stem cell phenotype. ..
- Yuan T, Liao W, Feng N, Lou Y, Niu X, Zhang A, et al. Human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived neural stem cells survive, migrate, differentiate, and improve neurologic function in a rat model of middle cerebral artery occlusion. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2013;4:73 pubmed publisher..Implanted iPSC-derived NSCs were able to survive, migrate into the ischemic brain area to differentiate into mature neural cells, and seem to have potential to restore lost neurologic function from damage due to stroke in a rat model. ..
- Yuan J, Liu X, Wang T, Pan W, Tao Q, Zhou W, et al. The MBNL3 splicing factor promotes hepatocellular carcinoma by increasing PXN expression through the alternative splicing of lncRNA-PXN-AS1. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:820-832 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data demonstrate detailed mechanistic links between an oncofetal splicing factor, a splicing event and tumorigenesis, and establish splicing factors and splicing events as potential therapeutic targets. ..
- Orsztynowicz M, Lechniak D, Pawlak P, Kociucka B, Kubickova S, Cernohorska H, et al. Changes in chromosome territory position within the nucleus reflect alternations in gene expression related to embryonic lineage specification. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182398 pubmed publisher..We postulate that the observed changes in CT shape reflect global alternations in gene expression related to differentiation. ..
- Lakatos D, Travis E, Pierson K, Vivian J, Czirok A. Autocrine FGF feedback can establish distinct states of Nanog expression in pluripotent stem cells: a computational analysis. BMC Syst Biol. 2014;8:112 pubmed publisher..The resulting model produces varied expression levels of several components of pluripotency regulation, largely consistent with empirical observations reported previously and in this present work. ..
- Yan N, Xu L, Wu X, Zhang L, Fei X, Cao Y, et al. GSKJ4, an H3K27me3 demethylase inhibitor, effectively suppresses the breast cancer stem cells. Exp Cell Res. 2017;359:405-414 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results provide strong supports that H3K27me3 exerts a suppressive influence on BCSCs and reveal that GSKJ4 is capable to be a prospective agent targeting BCSCs. ..
- Palangi F, Samuel S, Thompson I, Triggle C, Emara M. Effects of oxidative and thermal stresses on stress granule formation in human induced pluripotent stem cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182059 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results provide new insights into the molecular cues of hiPSCs responses to environmental insults. ..
- Liu K, Lee J, Kim J, Wang L, Tian Y, Chan S, et al. Mitophagy Controls the Activities of Tumor Suppressor p53 to Regulate Hepatic Cancer Stem Cells. Mol Cell. 2017;68:281-292.e5 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that mitophagy controls the activities of p53 to maintain hepatic CSCs and provide an explanation as to why autophagy is required to promote hepatocarcinogenesis. ..
- Saito Y, Kunitomi A, Seki T, Tohyama S, Kusumoto D, Takei M, et al. Epigenetic barrier against the propagation of fluctuating gene expression in embryonic stem cells. FEBS Lett. 2017;591:2879-2889 pubmed publisher..We suggest that an epigenetic barrier is key to preventing the propagation of fluctuating pluripotency gene expression in ES cells. ..
- Mikhailov A, Sugiyama F, Mizuno S, Sankai Y. Bio-active polymer implants to adipose tissue as in situ source of reprogramming cells. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2016;2016:4169-4172 pubmed publisher..After 8 days we were able to detect in situ-transfected cells. Transfected cells were positive for YFP fluorescence and transiently expressed the markers correlating with stemness. ..
- Velasquez Mao A, Tsao C, Monroe M, Legras X, Bissig Choisat B, Bissig K, et al. Differentiation of spontaneously contracting cardiomyocytes from non-virally reprogrammed human amniotic fluid stem cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177824 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that cells from human amniotic fluid can be differentiated through a pluripotent state into functional cardiomyocytes. ..
- Yun J, Kim K, Yoo G, Kim S, Shin J, Kim J, et al. Phenethyl isothiocyanate suppresses cancer stem cell properties in vitro and in a xenograft model. Phytomedicine. 2017;30:42-49 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that PEITC might be able to slow down or prevent cancer recurrence by suppressing CSC stemness. ..