Genomes and Genes
gata2 transcription factor
Summary: An essential GATA transcription factor that is expressed primarily in HEMATOPOIETIC STEM CELLS.
- Andreu Vieyra C, Lai J, Berman B, Frenkel B, Jia L, Jones P, et al. Dynamic nucleosome-depleted regions at androgen receptor enhancers in the absence of ligand in prostate cancer cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:4648-62 pubmed publisher..The "receptive" state described here could help explain AR signaling activation under very low ligand concentrations. ..
- Gordon D, Lewis S, Haugen B, James R, McDermott M, Wood W, et al. Pit-1 and GATA-2 interact and functionally cooperate to activate the thyrotropin beta-subunit promoter. J Biol Chem. 1997;272:24339-47 pubmed..In summary, these data demonstrate functional synergy and physical interaction between homeobox and zinc finger factors and provide insights into the transcriptional mechanisms of thyrotrope-specific gene expression. ..
- Liu W, Zhu Z, Wang W, Zu S, Zhu G. Crucial roles of GATA-2 and SP1 in adrenomedullin-affected expression of tissue factor pathway inhibitor in human umbilical vein endothelial cells exposed to lipopolysaccharide. Thromb Haemost. 2007;97:839-46 pubmed..Taken together, these results indicate that ADM antagonizes the effect of LPS on TFPI expression, which is mediated by affecting transcriptional factor GATA-2 and SP1 through cAMP and calcium signaling pathway. ..
- Tsai F, Keller G, Kuo F, Weiss M, Chen J, Rosenblatt M, et al. An early haematopoietic defect in mice lacking the transcription factor GATA-2. Nature. 1994;371:221-6 pubmed..We propose that GATA-2 regulates genes controlling growth factor responsiveness or the proliferative capacity of early haematopoietic cells. ..
- Pandolfi P, Roth M, Karis A, Leonard M, Dzierzak E, Grosveld F, et al. Targeted disruption of the GATA3 gene causes severe abnormalities in the nervous system and in fetal liver haematopoiesis. Nat Genet. 1995;11:40-4 pubmed..c.) and display massive internal bleeding, marked growth retardation, severe deformities of the brain and spinal cord, and gross aberrations in fetal liver haematopoiesis...
- Iwasaki H, Mizuno S, Arinobu Y, Ozawa H, Mori Y, Shigematsu H, et al. The order of expression of transcription factors directs hierarchical specification of hematopoietic lineages. Genes Dev. 2006;20:3010-21 pubmed..We propose that the order of expression of key transcription factors is critical for their interplay to selectively drive lineage specification programs, by which stem cells could generate multiple lineage cells in a hierarchical manner...
- Simon M, Tournaire R, Pouyssegur J. The angiopoietin-2 gene of endothelial cells is up-regulated in hypoxia by a HIF binding site located in its first intron and by the central factors GATA-2 and Ets-1. J Cell Physiol. 2008;217:809-18 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our study provides new elements in favor of HIF involvement in Ang-2 hypoxic regulation and identifies Ets-1 and particularly GATA-2 as central factors in endothelial specific Ang-2 expression. ..
- Tong Q, Tsai J, Tan G, Dalgin G, Hotamisligil G. Interaction between GATA and the C/EBP family of transcription factors is critical in GATA-mediated suppression of adipocyte differentiation. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:706-15 pubmed
- Penberthy W, Zhao C, Zhang Y, Jessen J, Yang Z, Bricaud O, et al. Pur alpha and Sp8 as opposing regulators of neural gata2 expression. Dev Biol. 2004;275:225-34 pubmed
- Ray S, Dutta D, Rumi M, Kent L, Soares M, Paul S. Context-dependent function of regulatory elements and a switch in chromatin occupancy between GATA3 and GATA2 regulate Gata2 transcription during trophoblast differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:4978-88 pubmed publisher..We predict that this GATA3/GATA2 switch is an important mechanism for the transcriptional regulation of other trophoblast-specific genes. ..
- Pimanda J, Ottersbach K, Knezevic K, Kinston S, Chan W, Wilson N, et al. Gata2, Fli1, and Scl form a recursively wired gene-regulatory circuit during early hematopoietic development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:17692-7 pubmed
- Tsarovina K, Pattyn A, Stubbusch J, Muller F, van der Wees J, Schneider C, et al. Essential role of Gata transcription factors in sympathetic neuron development. Development. 2004;131:4775-86 pubmed..The present data establish Gata2 and Gata3 in the chick and mouse, respectively, as essential members of the transcription factor network controlling sympathetic neuron development. ..
- Kazenwadel J, Secker G, Liu Y, Rosenfeld J, Wildin R, Cuellar Rodríguez J, et al. Loss-of-function germline GATA2 mutations in patients with MDS/AML or MonoMAC syndrome and primary lymphedema reveal a key role for GATA2 in the lymphatic vasculature. Blood. 2012;119:1283-91 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we reveal a crucial role for GATA2 in lymphatic vascular development. ..
- Tijssen M, Cvejic A, Joshi A, Hannah R, Ferreira R, Forrai A, et al. Genome-wide analysis of simultaneous GATA1/2, RUNX1, FLI1, and SCL binding in megakaryocytes identifies hematopoietic regulators. Dev Cell. 2011;20:597-609 pubmed publisher..Multifactor ChIP-Seq analysis in primary human cells coupled with a high-throughput in vivo perturbation screen therefore offers a powerful strategy to identify essential regulators of complex mammalian differentiation processes...
- Fadilah S, Cheong S, Roslan H, Rozie Hanisa M, Yen G. GATA-1 and GATA-2 gene expression is related to the severity of dysplasia in myelodysplastic syndrome. Leukemia. 2002;16:1563-5 pubmed
- Zhou Y, Lim K, Onodera K, Takahashi S, Ohta J, Minegishi N, et al. Rescue of the embryonic lethal hematopoietic defect reveals a critical role for GATA-2 in urogenital development. EMBO J. 1998;17:6689-700 pubmed..These findings reveal that GATA-2 plays equally vital roles in urogenital and hematopoietic development. ..
- Ozawa Y, Towatari M, Tsuzuki S, Hayakawa F, Maeda T, Miyata Y, et al. Histone deacetylase 3 associates with and represses the transcription factor GATA-2. Blood. 2001;98:2116-23 pubmed..This is the first demonstration that a tissue-specific transcription factor directly and selectively interacts with HDAC3 and HDAC5 among HDAC family members. ..
- Dickinson R, Griffin H, Bigley V, Reynard L, Hussain R, Haniffa M, et al. Exome sequencing identifies GATA-2 mutation as the cause of dendritic cell, monocyte, B and NK lymphoid deficiency. Blood. 2011;118:2656-8 pubmed publisher..This disorder therefore constitutes a new genetic form of heritable immunodeficiency and leukemic transformation. ..
- Tong Q, Dalgin G, Xu H, Ting C, Leiden J, Hotamisligil G. Function of GATA transcription factors in preadipocyte-adipocyte transition. Science. 2000;290:134-8 pubmed..Thus, GATA-2 and GATA-3 regulate adipocyte differentiation through molecular control of the preadipocyte-adipocyte transition. ..
- Dasen J, O Connell S, Flynn S, Treier M, Gleiberman A, Szeto D, et al. Reciprocal interactions of Pit1 and GATA2 mediate signaling gradient-induced determination of pituitary cell types. Cell. 1999;97:587-98 pubmed
- Pal S, Cantor A, Johnson K, Moran T, Boyer M, Orkin S, et al. Coregulator-dependent facilitation of chromatin occupancy by GATA-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:980-5 pubmed..We propose that FOG-1 is a prototype of a new class of coregulators termed chromatin occupancy facilitators, which confer coregulation in certain contexts via enhancing trans-acting factor binding to chromatin in vivo. ..
- Zhang S, Ma L, Huang Q, Li G, Gu B, Gao X, et al. Gain-of-function mutation of GATA-2 in acute myeloid transformation of chronic myeloid leukemia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:2076-81 pubmed publisher..These data strongly suggest that GATA-2 mutations may play a role in acute myeloid transformation in a subset of CML patients. ..
- Fleenor D, Langdon S, DeCastro C, Kaufman R. Comparison of human and Xenopus GATA-2 promoters. Gene. 1996;179:219-23 pubmed..These conserved DNA sequence motifs provide strong candidate regions for the regulation of GATA-2. ..
- Lugus J, Chung Y, Mills J, Kim S, Grass J, Kyba M, et al. GATA2 functions at multiple steps in hemangioblast development and differentiation. Development. 2007;134:393-405 pubmed..Collectively, we provide compelling evidence that GATA2 plays specific, contextual roles in the generation of Flk-1+ mesoderm, the Flk-1+Scl+ hemangioblast, primitive erythroid and endothelial cells. ..
- Yu X, Zhu X, Pi W, Ling J, Ko L, Takeda Y, et al. The long terminal repeat (LTR) of ERV-9 human endogenous retrovirus binds to NF-Y in the assembly of an active LTR enhancer complex NF-Y/MZF1/GATA-2. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:35184-94 pubmed
- Burch J. Regulation of GATA gene expression during vertebrate development. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2005;16:71-81 pubmed..These enhancers also afford a raft of tools that can be used to selectively perturb and probe various developmental events in transgenic animals. ..
- Minegishi N, Suzuki N, Yokomizo T, Pan X, Fujimoto T, Takahashi S, et al. Expression and domain-specific function of GATA-2 during differentiation of the hematopoietic precursor cells in midgestation mouse embryos. Blood. 2003;102:896-905 pubmed..A reduction of GATA-2 expression or activity is required for the differentiation of precursors to hematopoietic cells. ..
- Chou S, Khandros E, Bailey L, Nichols K, Vakoc C, Yao Y, et al. Graded repression of PU.1/Sfpi1 gene transcription by GATA factors regulates hematopoietic cell fate. Blood. 2009;114:983-94 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that GATA factors act sequentially to regulate lineage determination during hematopoiesis, in part by exerting variable repressive effects at the PU.1/Sfpi1 locus. ..
- Tipping A, Pina C, Castor A, Hong D, Rodrigues N, Lazzari L, et al. High GATA-2 expression inhibits human hematopoietic stem and progenitor cell function by effects on cell cycle. Blood. 2009;113:2661-72 pubmed publisher..Thus, GATA-2 activity inhibits cell cycle in vitro and in vivo, highlighting GATA-2 as a molecular entry point into the transcriptional program regulating quiescence in human hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells. ..
- Seo W, Jeong B, Yu E, Kim H, Kim S, Lim J, et al. CCAR1 promotes chromatin loading of androgen receptor (AR) transcription complex by stabilizing the association between AR and GATA2. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:8526-36 pubmed publisher..Our results firmly established CCAR1 as an AR co-activator that plays a key role in AR transcription complex assembly and has an important physiological role in androgen signaling and prostate tumorigenesis. ..
- Charles M, Saunders T, Wood W, Owens K, Parlow A, Camper S, et al. Pituitary-specific Gata2 knockout: effects on gonadotrope and thyrotrope function. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:1366-77 pubmed..Gata2-deficient mice exhibit elevated levels of Gata3 transcripts in the pituitary gland, suggesting that GATA3 can compensate for GATA2. ..
- Minegishi N, Ohta J, Suwabe N, Nakauchi H, Ishihara H, Hayashi N, et al. Alternative promoters regulate transcription of the mouse GATA-2 gene. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:3625-34 pubmed..These data indicate that the proximal 80 base pair region of IS promoter is important for the generation of cell type-specific expression of mGATA-2 from the IS exon. ..
- Kitajima K, Tanaka M, Zheng J, Yen H, Sato A, Sugiyama D, et al. Redirecting differentiation of hematopoietic progenitors by a transcription factor, GATA-2. Blood. 2006;107:1857-63 pubmed..1 promoter region. This study demonstrates that the function of GATA-2 is modified in a context-dependent manner by expression of PU.1, which in turn is regulated by GATA-2...
- Chun T, Itoh H, Subramanian L, INIGUEZ LLUHI J, Nakao K. Modification of GATA-2 transcriptional activity in endothelial cells by the SUMO E3 ligase PIASy. Circ Res. 2003;92:1201-8 pubmed
- Khandekar M, Suzuki N, Lewton J, Yamamoto M, Engel J. Multiple, distant Gata2 enhancers specify temporally and tissue-specific patterning in the developing urogenital system. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:10263-76 pubmed..Including the additional enhancers that were discovered using this strategy (called BAC trap) extends the functional realm of the Gata2 locus to greater than 1 Mbp...
- Grass J, Boyer M, Pal S, Wu J, Weiss M, Bresnick E. GATA-1-dependent transcriptional repression of GATA-2 via disruption of positive autoregulation and domain-wide chromatin remodeling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:8811-6 pubmed..Such a mechanism is predicted to be critical for the control of hematopoiesis. ..
- Towatari M, May G, Marais R, Perkins G, Marshall C, Cowley S, et al. Regulation of GATA-2 phosphorylation by mitogen-activated protein kinase and interleukin-3. J Biol Chem. 1995;270:4101-7 pubmed
- Jessen J, Meng A, McFarlane R, Paw B, Zon L, Smith G, et al. Modification of bacterial artificial chromosomes through chi-stimulated homologous recombination and its application in zebrafish transgenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:5121-6 pubmed..The precise modification of BACs through Chi-stimulated homologous recombination should be useful for studying gene function and regulation in cultured cells or organisms where gene transfer is applicable. ..
- Gao Z, Huang Z, Olivey H, Gurbuxani S, Crispino J, Svensson E. FOG-1-mediated recruitment of NuRD is required for cell lineage re-enforcement during haematopoiesis. EMBO J. 2010;29:457-68 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results underscore the importance of the FOG-1/NuRD interaction for the re-enforcement of lineage commitment during erythropoiesis and megakaryopoiesis in vivo. ..
- Fujiwara T, O Geen H, Keles S, Blahnik K, Linnemann A, Kang Y, et al. Discovering hematopoietic mechanisms through genome-wide analysis of GATA factor chromatin occupancy. Mol Cell. 2009;36:667-81 pubmed publisher..These results establish fundamental principles underlying GATA factor mechanisms in chromatin and illustrate a complex network of considerable importance for the control of hematopoiesis...
- Magklara A, Smith C. A composite intronic element directs dynamic binding of the progesterone receptor and GATA-2. Mol Endocrinol. 2009;23:61-73 pubmed publisher..Our study offers new insight in the nature of PR-regulated transcription in mammary cancer cells. ..
- Robert Moreno A, Espinosa L, de la Pompa J, Bigas A. RBPjkappa-dependent Notch function regulates Gata2 and is essential for the formation of intra-embryonic hematopoietic cells. Development. 2005;132:1117-26 pubmed..Taken together, these data strongly suggest that activation of Gata2 expression by Notch1/RBPjkappa is a crucial event for the onset of definitive hematopoiesis in the embryo. ..
- Fujiwara Y, Chang A, Williams A, Orkin S. Functional overlap of GATA-1 and GATA-2 in primitive hematopoietic development. Blood. 2004;103:583-5 pubmed..Thus, the function of GATA-1 and GATA-2 overlaps at the yolk sac stage. Moreover, a GATA factor, either GATA-1 or GATA-2, is required to initiate blood formation in the embryo. ..
- De Arcangelis V, Coletti D, Canato M, Molinaro M, Adamo S, Reggiani C, et al. Hypertrophy and transcriptional regulation induced in myogenic cell line L6-C5 by an increase of extracellular calcium. J Cell Physiol. 2005;202:787-95 pubmed..These data indicate that a transient increase of [Ca2+]i due to plasma-membrane influx is sufficient to induce a hypertrophic phenotype and an increased expression of slow-fiber genes but not fast-fiber genes. ..
- Sakuma K, Nishikawa J, Nakao R, Watanabe K, Totsuka T, Nakano H, et al. Calcineurin is a potent regulator for skeletal muscle regeneration by association with NFATc1 and GATA-2. Acta Neuropathol. 2003;105:271-80 pubmed..Thus, calcineurin may have an important role in muscle regeneration in association with NFATc1 and GATA-2. ..
- Walsh J, DeKoter R, Lee H, Smith E, Lancki D, Gurish M, et al. Cooperative and antagonistic interplay between PU.1 and GATA-2 in the specification of myeloid cell fates. Immunity. 2002;17:665-76 pubmed..Reexpression of GATA-2 in such progenitors enables the generation of mast cells. We propose a developmental model in which cooperative function or antagonistic crossregulation by PU.1 of GATA-2 promotes distinct myeloid cell fates. ..
- Kanki Y, Kohro T, Jiang S, Tsutsumi S, Mimura I, Suehiro J, et al. Epigenetically coordinated GATA2 binding is necessary for endothelium-specific endomucin expression. EMBO J. 2011;30:2582-95 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide new insights into the correlation of endothelial-expressed GATA2 binding, epigenetic modification, and the determination of endothelial cell specificity. ..
- Chang A, Cantor A, Fujiwara Y, Lodish M, Droho S, Crispino J, et al. GATA-factor dependence of the multitype zinc-finger protein FOG-1 for its essential role in megakaryopoiesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:9237-42 pubmed..On the basis of these and previous reports, we infer that GATA factor dependence is a critical aspect of FOG protein function. ..
- Minegishi N, Ohta J, Yamagiwa H, Suzuki N, Kawauchi S, Zhou Y, et al. The mouse GATA-2 gene is expressed in the para-aortic splanchnopleura and aorta-gonads and mesonephros region. Blood. 1999;93:4196-207 pubmed..These experiments describe an early developmental GATA-2 hematopoietic enhancer located between 6.0 and 2.5 kbp 5' to the IS exon...
- Nottingham W, Jarratt A, Burgess M, Speck C, Cheng J, Prabhakar S, et al. Runx1-mediated hematopoietic stem-cell emergence is controlled by a Gata/Ets/SCL-regulated enhancer. Blood. 2007;110:4188-97 pubmed
- Oshima M, Endoh M, Endo T, Toyoda T, Nakajima Takagi Y, Sugiyama F, et al. Genome-wide analysis of target genes regulated by HoxB4 in hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells developing from embryonic stem cells. Blood. 2011;117:e142-50 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that HoxB4 reprograms a set of key regulator genes to facilitate the maturation of developing HSCs into repopulating cells. Our list of HoxB4 targets also provides novel candidate regulators for HSCs. ..
- Cantor A, Iwasaki H, Arinobu Y, Moran T, Shigematsu H, Sullivan M, et al. Antagonism of FOG-1 and GATA factors in fate choice for the mast cell lineage. J Exp Med. 2008;205:611-24 pubmed publisher..They also provide evidence for lineage instability during early stages of hematopoietic lineage commitment. ..