Genomes and Genes
coup transcription factor ii
Summary: A COUP transcription factor that negatively regulates GENETIC TRANSCRIPTION and competes with other hormone receptors for the common response element AGGTCA. It can also stimulate transcription of genes involved in the metabolism of GLUCOSE and CHOLESTEROL.
- Liberati C, Cera M, Secco P, Santoro C, Mantovani R, Ottolenghi S, et al. Cooperation and competition between the binding of COUP-TFII and NF-Y on human epsilon- and gamma-globin gene promoters. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:41700-9 pubmed..At the 5' site, COUP-TFII might cooperate with NF-Y, forming a stable complex, and stimulate transcription; at the 3' site, COUP-TFII might compete for binding with NF-Y and, directly or indirectly, decrease gene activity. ..
- Xie X, Qin J, Lin S, Tsai S, Tsai M. Nuclear receptor chicken ovalbumin upstream promoter-transcription factor II (COUP-TFII) modulates mesenchymal cell commitment and differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:14843-8 pubmed publisher..Together, our results provide insight into the mechanisms whereby a single nuclear receptor can fine-tune the lineage-specific differentiation of a progenitor cell. ..
- Pereira F, Qiu Y, Zhou G, Tsai M, Tsai S. The orphan nuclear receptor COUP-TFII is required for angiogenesis and heart development. Genes Dev. 1999;13:1037-49 pubmed..This down-regulation suggests that COUP-TFII may be required for bidirectional signaling between the endothelial and mesenchymal compartments essential for proper angiogenesis and heart development. ..
- Qin J, Chen X, Yu Lee L, Tsai M, Tsai S. Nuclear receptor COUP-TFII controls pancreatic islet tumor angiogenesis by regulating vascular endothelial growth factor/vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2 signaling. Cancer Res. 2010;70:8812-21 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results implicate COUP-TFII as a critical factor in tumor angiogenesis through regulation of VEGF/VEGFR-2 signaling, suggesting COUP-TFII as a candidate target for antiangiogenic therapy...
- Pereira F, Tsai M, Tsai S. COUP-TF orphan nuclear receptors in development and differentiation. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2000;57:1388-98 pubmed..This defines the COUP-TFs as important factors in regulation of development and differentiation in multiple organisms. ..
- Kurihara I, Lee D, Petit F, Jeong J, Lee K, Lydon J, et al. COUP-TFII mediates progesterone regulation of uterine implantation by controlling ER activity. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e102 pubmed
- Bardoux P, Zhang P, Flamez D, Perilhou A, Lavin T, Tanti J, et al. Essential role of chicken ovalbumin upstream promoter-transcription factor II in insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity revealed by conditional gene knockout. Diabetes. 2005;54:1357-63 pubmed..Altered insulin secretion was associated with peripheral insulin resistance in whole animals. It can be concluded that COUP-TFII is a new, important regulator of glucose homeostasis and insulin sensitivity. ..
- Takamoto N, You L, Moses K, Chiang C, Zimmer W, Schwartz R, et al. COUP-TFII is essential for radial and anteroposterior patterning of the stomach. Development. 2005;132:2179-89 pubmed..Our results are consistent with a functional link between hedgehog proteins and COUP-TFII, factors that are vital for epithelial-mesenchymal interactions. ..
- Tripodi M, Filosa A, Armentano M, Studer M. The COUP-TF nuclear receptors regulate cell migration in the mammalian basal forebrain. Development. 2004;131:6119-29 pubmed..Therefore, we propose that COUP-TFs are directly involved in tangential cell migration in the developing brain, through the regulation of short- and long-range guidance cues. ..
- Buholzer C, Arrighi J, Abraham S, Piguet V, Capponi A, Casal A. Chicken ovalbumin upstream promoter-transcription factor is a negative regulator of steroidogenesis in bovine adrenal glomerulosa cells. Mol Endocrinol. 2005;19:65-75 pubmed..These results suggest that COUP-TF exerts a tonic inhibition on steroidogenesis by repressing StAR protein expression and that activators of aldosterone biosynthesis lift this inhibition in part by repressing COUP-TF levels. ..
- Avram D, Ishmael J, Nevrivy D, Peterson V, Lee S, Dowell P, et al. Heterodimeric interactions between chicken ovalbumin upstream promoter-transcription factor family members ARP1 and ear2. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:14331-6 pubmed..Heterodimeric interactions between ARP1 and Ear2 may define a distinct pathway of orphan receptor signaling. ..
- Lin F, Qin J, Tang K, Tsai S, Tsai M. Coup d'Etat: an orphan takes control. Endocr Rev. 2011;32:404-21 pubmed publisher..In addition, we will briefly summarize some of the current findings of COUP-TFI. ..
- Kanatani S, Yozu M, Tabata H, Nakajima K. COUP-TFII is preferentially expressed in the caudal ganglionic eminence and is involved in the caudal migratory stream. J Neurosci. 2008;28:13582-91 pubmed publisher..Thus, a locally expressed transcription factor determines the migratory direction of the cortical interneurons in a region-specific manner. ..
- Inoue M, Iida A, Satoh S, Kodama T, Watanabe S. COUP-TFI and -TFII nuclear receptors are expressed in amacrine cells and play roles in regulating the differentiation of retinal progenitor cells. Exp Eye Res. 2010;90:49-56 pubmed publisher..In summary, we found that COUP-TFI and -TFII play roles in amacrine cell differentiation, and COUP-TFgamma has distinct expression pattern and roles during retinal development. ..
- Avram D, Fields A, Pretty On Top K, Nevrivy D, Ishmael J, Leid M. Isolation of a novel family of C(2)H(2) zinc finger proteins implicated in transcriptional repression mediated by chicken ovalbumin upstream promoter transcription factor (COUP-TF) orphan nuclear receptors. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:10315-22 pubmed
- Lin F, Chen X, Qin J, Hong Y, Tsai M, Tsai S. Direct transcriptional regulation of neuropilin-2 by COUP-TFII modulates multiple steps in murine lymphatic vessel development. J Clin Invest. 2010;120:1694-707 pubmed publisher..Thus, COUP-TFII is a critical factor that controls lymphangiogenesis in embryonic development and tumorigenesis in adults. ..
- Suzuki T, Moriya T, Darnel A, Takeyama J, Sasano H. Immunohistochemical distribution of chicken ovalbumin upstream promoter transcription factor II in human tissues. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2000;164:69-75 pubmed..The widespread expression of COUP-TFII suggests that COUP-TFII may play an important role in the function and homeostasis of various human tissues and organs. ..
- Kim B, Takamoto N, Yan J, Tsai S, Tsai M. Chicken Ovalbumin Upstream Promoter-Transcription Factor II (COUP-TFII) regulates growth and patterning of the postnatal mouse cerebellum. Dev Biol. 2009;326:378-91 pubmed publisher..In addition, dendritic branching of Purkinje cells was decreased in the mutant mice. Thus, our results indicate that COUP-TFII regulates growth and maturation of the mouse postnatal cerebellum through modulation of IGF-1 expression. ..
- Qin J, Tsai M, Tsai S. Essential roles of COUP-TFII in Leydig cell differentiation and male fertility. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3285 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that COUP-TFII plays a major role in differentiation, but not the maintenance of Leydig cells. ..
- Aerbajinai W, Zhu J, Kumkhaek C, Chin K, Rodgers G. SCF induces gamma-globin gene expression by regulating downstream transcription factor COUP-TFII. Blood. 2009;114:187-94 pubmed publisher..These observations provide insight into the molecular pathways that regulate gamma-globin augmentation during stress erythropoiesis. ..
- Sabra Makke L, Tourrel Cuzin C, Denis R, Moldes M, Pégorier J, Luquet S, et al. The nutritional induction of COUP-TFII gene expression in ventromedial hypothalamic neurons is mediated by the melanocortin pathway. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e13464 pubmed publisher..COUP-TFII could play a crucial role in brain integration of circulating signal of hunger and satiety involved in energy balance regulation. ..
- Boutant M, Ramos O, Tourrel Cuzin C, Movassat J, Ilias A, Vallois D, et al. COUP-TFII controls mouse pancreatic Î²-cell mass through GLP-1-Î²-catenin signaling pathways. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e30847 pubmed publisher..COUP-TFII is required for GLP-1 activation of the Î²-catenin-dependent pathway and its expression is under the control of TCF7L2. ..
- Jonk L, de Jonge M, Pals C, Wissink S, Vervaart J, Schoorlemmer J, et al. Cloning and expression during development of three murine members of the COUP family of nuclear orphan receptors. Mech Dev. 1994;47:81-97 pubmed..Furthermore, strong ARP-1 expression was detected in lung and kidney. Our data strongly suggest an important role for the members of the COUP-family in the hormonal control of gene expression regulating embryogenesis. ..
- Riggs K, Wickramasinghe N, Cochrum R, Watts M, Klinge C. Decreased chicken ovalbumin upstream promoter transcription factor II expression in tamoxifen-resistant breast cancer cells. Cancer Res. 2006;66:10188-98 pubmed..These data indicate that reduced COUP-TFII expression correlates with acquired TAM resistance in human breast cancer cell lines and that COUP-TFII plays a role in regulating the growth inhibitory activity of TAM in breast cancer cells. ..
- Marcus S, Winrow C, Capone J, Rachubinski R. A p56(lck) ligand serves as a coactivator of an orphan nuclear hormone receptor. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:27197-200 pubmed..This factor is identical to a recently described ligand of the tyrosine kinase signaling molecule p56(lck), suggesting that it mediates cross-talk between mitogenic and nuclear hormone receptor signal transduction pathways. ..
- Stroup D, Chiang J. HNF4 and COUP-TFII interact to modulate transcription of the cholesterol 7alpha-hydroxylase gene (CYP7A1). J Lipid Res. 2000;41:1-11 pubmed..These results indicated that the observed transactivation was the result of protein/protein interactions facilitated by the juxtaposition of the binding elements. ..
- Petit F, Salas R, Tsai M, Tsai S. The regulation of COUP-TFII gene expression by Ets-1 is enhanced by the steroid receptor co-activators. Mech Ageing Dev. 2004;125:719-32 pubmed..These results indicate that COUP-TFII is a potential downstream target of Ets-1 and it may partially mediate the Ets-1 function in angiogenesis. ..
- Nakshatri H, Mendonca M, Bhat Nakshatri P, Patel N, Goulet R, Cornetta K. The orphan receptor COUP-TFII regulates G2/M progression of breast cancer cells by modulating the expression/activity of p21(WAF1/CIP1), cyclin D1, and cdk2. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2000;270:1144-53 pubmed..Furthermore, these results reveal an important physiological function of COUP-TFII, which correlates with its ability to induce gene expression rather than modulation of nuclear receptor activity. ..
- Zhang P, Bennoun M, Gogard C, Bossard P, Leclerc I, Kahn A, et al. Expression of COUP-TFII in metabolic tissues during development. Mech Dev. 2002;119:109-14 pubmed..5 dpc and co-expression with insulin positive-cells at 15.5 dpc. In adult pancreas, COUP-TFII protein was present in the endocrine islet cells. ..
- Tang L, Alger H, Lin F, Pereira F. Dynamic expression of COUP-TFI and COUP-TFII during development and functional maturation of the mouse inner ear. Gene Expr Patterns. 2005;5:587-92 pubmed
- Litchfield L, Riggs K, Hockenberry A, Oliver L, Barnhart K, Cai J, et al. Identification and characterization of nucleolin as a COUP-TFII coactivator of retinoic acid receptor ? transcription in breast cancer cells. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e38278 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that nucleolin plays a coregulatory role in transcriptional regulation of the tumor suppressor RARB2 by COUP-TFII. ..
- Wang Q, Bai Z, Li X, Hou L, Zhang B. The evidences of human orphan receptor COUP-TFII inhibiting telomerase activity through decreasing hTERT transcription. Cancer Lett. 2004;214:81-90 pubmed..The results suggested that the human COUP-TFII could specifically interact with hTERT promoter, in part via the E-box, and suppress the expression of hTERT. ..
- Fouquet J, Kann M, Soues S, Melki R. ARP1 in Golgi organisation and attachment of manchette microtubules to the nucleus during mammalian spermatogenesis. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 5):877-86 pubmed
- Naka H, Nakamura S, Shimazaki T, Okano H. Requirement for COUP-TFI and II in the temporal specification of neural stem cells in CNS development. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:1014-23 pubmed publisher..These findings reveal a part of the timer mechanisms for generating diverse types of neurons and glial cells during CNS development. ..
- Jordan E, Worley T, Breen G. Transcriptional regulation of the nuclear gene encoding the alpha-subunit of the mammalian mitochondrial F1F0 ATP synthase complex: role for the orphan nuclear receptor, COUP-TFII/ARP-1. Biochemistry. 2003;42:2656-63 pubmed..Thus, the ATPA gene is regulated by a multifunctional binding site through which the transcription factors, COUP-TFII/ARP-1 and USF2, bind and exert their antagonistic effects. ..
- More E, Fellner T, Doppelmayr H, Hauser Kronberger C, Dandachi N, Obrist P, et al. Activation of the MAP kinase pathway induces chicken ovalbumin upstream promoter-transcription factor II (COUP-TFII) expression in human breast cancer cell lines. J Endocrinol. 2003;176:83-94 pubmed..Our results strongly suggest that an active MAP kinase pathway is essential for COUP-TFII expression in human breast cancer cells. ..
- Takamoto N, Zhao B, Tsai S, DeMayo F. Identification of Indian hedgehog as a progesterone-responsive gene in the murine uterus. Mol Endocrinol. 2002;16:2338-48 pubmed..Our results suggested that Ihh is regulated by P4, and the Ihh signaling axis may play a role in the preparation of the uterus for implantation during the periimplantation period. ..
- Topark Ngarm A, Golonzhka O, Peterson V, Barrett B, Martinez B, Crofoot K, et al. CTIP2 associates with the NuRD complex on the promoter of p57KIP2, a newly identified CTIP2 target gene. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:32272-83 pubmed..Therefore, it seems likely that the NuRD complex may be involved in transcriptional repression of CTIP2 target genes and contribute to the function(s) of CTIP2 within a neuronal context. ..
- Zheng W, Horton C, Kim J, Halvorson L. The orphan nuclear receptors COUP-TFI and COUP-TFII regulate expression of the gonadotropin LH? gene. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2010;330:59-71 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, these data are the first to demonstrate COUP-TF expression and function in pituitary gonadotropes. ..
- Qin J, Chen X, Xie X, Tsai M, Tsai S. COUP-TFII regulates tumor growth and metastasis by modulating tumor angiogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:3687-92 pubmed publisher..Because COUP-TFII has little impact on normal adult physiological function, our results raise an interesting possibility that inhibition of COUP-TFII may offer a therapeutic approach for anticancer intervention. ..
- Li L, Xie X, Qin J, Jeha G, Saha P, Yan J, et al. The nuclear orphan receptor COUP-TFII plays an essential role in adipogenesis, glucose homeostasis, and energy metabolism. Cell Metab. 2009;9:77-87 pubmed publisher..Thus, COUP-TFII regulates adipogenesis by regulating the key molecules in adipocyte development and can serve as a target for regulating energy metabolism. ..
- De Martino M, Alesci S, Chrousos G, Kino T. Interaction of the glucocorticoid receptor and the chicken ovalbumin upstream promoter-transcription factor II (COUP-TFII): implications for the actions of glucocorticoids on glucose, lipoprotein, and xenobiotic metabolism. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004;1024:72-85 pubmed..It appears that glucocorticoids exert their intermediary effects partly via physical interaction with COUP-TFII. ..
- Lee C, Li L, Takamoto N, Martin J, DeMayo F, Tsai M, et al. The nuclear orphan receptor COUP-TFII is required for limb and skeletal muscle development. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:10835-43 pubmed..Taken together, our results demonstrate that COUP-TFII plays an early role in limb bud outgrowth but not limb bud initiation. Also, COUP-TFII is required for appropriate development of the skeletal musculature of developing limbs. ..
- Cabrero A, Jové M, Planavila A, Merlos M, Laguna J, Vázquez Carrera M. Down-regulation of acyl-CoA oxidase gene expression in heart of troglitazone-treated mice through a mechanism involving chicken ovalbumin upstream promoter transcription factor II. Mol Pharmacol. 2003;64:764-72 pubmed..Overall, the findings presented here show that 10 days of troglitazone treatment decreased expression of the ACO gene through a mechanism involving the transcriptional repressor COUP-TF II. ..
- Perilhou A, Tourrel Cuzin C, Zhang P, Kharroubi I, Wang H, Fauveau V, et al. The MODY1 gene for hepatocyte nuclear factor 4alpha and a feedback loop control COUP-TFII expression in pancreatic beta cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:4588-97 pubmed publisher..Therefore, COUP-TFII may contribute to the control of insulin secretion through the complex HNF4alpha/maturity-onset diabetes of the young 1 (MODY1) transcription factor network operating in beta cells. ..
- Nakshatri H, Chambon P. The directly repeated RG(G/T)TCA motifs of the rat and mouse cellular retinol-binding protein II genes are promiscuous binding sites for RAR, RXR, HNF-4, and ARP-1 homo- and heterodimers. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:890-902 pubmed
- Xu Z, Yu S, Hsu C, Eguchi J, Rosen E. The orphan nuclear receptor chicken ovalbumin upstream promoter-transcription factor II is a critical regulator of adipogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:2421-6 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data demonstrate that COUP-TFII represents an endogenous suppressor of adipogenesis, linking antiadipogenic extracellular signals to the core transcriptional cascade. ..
- Aranguren X, Beerens M, Vandevelde W, Dewerchin M, Carmeliet P, Luttun A. Transcription factor COUP-TFII is indispensable for venous and lymphatic development in zebrafish and Xenopus laevis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;410:121-6 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the role of NR2F2 in EC fate determination is evolutionary conserved...
- Vittet D, Merdzhanova G, Prandini M, Feige J, Bailly S. TGF?1 inhibits lymphatic endothelial cell differentiation from mouse embryonic stem cells. J Cell Physiol. 2012;227:3593-602 pubmed publisher..Taken together these findings support the concept that manipulating the TGF? signaling pathway may represent an interesting target to favor lymphatic endothelial cell expansion for cell replacement strategies. ..
- Korten S, Brunssen C, Poitz D, Großklaus S, Brux M, Schnittler H, et al. Impact of Hey2 and COUP-TFII on genes involved in arteriovenous differentiation in primary human arterial and venous endothelial cells. Basic Res Cardiol. 2013;108:362 pubmed publisher..Our data support an important role of Hey2 and COUP-TFII in arteriovenous differentiation of human endothelial cells. ..
- Polvani S, Tarocchi M, Tempesti S, Mello T, Ceni E, Buccoliero F, et al. COUP-TFII in pancreatic adenocarcinoma: clinical implication for patient survival and tumor progression. Int J Cancer. 2014;134:1648-58 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that COUP-TFII might be an important regulator of the behavior of pancreatic adenocarcinoma, thus representing a possible new target for pancreatic cancer therapy. ..