Genomes and Genes
eukaryotic initiation factor 4e
Summary: A peptide initiation factor that binds specifically to the 5' MRNA CAP STRUCTURE of MRNA in the CYTOPLASM. It is a component of the trimeric complex EIF4F.
- Zhou S, Wang G, Liu C, Zhou M. Eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) and angiogenesis: prognostic markers for breast cancer. BMC Cancer. 2006;6:231 pubmed
- Rigola D, van Oeveren J, Janssen A, Bonne A, Schneiders H, van der Poel H, et al. High-throughput detection of induced mutations and natural variation using KeyPoint technology. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4761 pubmed publisher..We propose KeyPoint technology as a broadly applicable amplicon sequencing approach to screen mutant populations or germplasm collections for identification of (novel) allelic variation in a high-throughput fashion. ..
- Hwang J, Li J, Liu W, An S, Cho H, Her N, et al. Double mutations in eIF4E and eIFiso4E confer recessive resistance to Chilli veinal mottle virus in pepper. Mol Cells. 2009;27:329-36 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrated that ChiVMV can use both eIF4E and eIFiso4E for replication, making simultaneous mutations in eIF4E and eIFiso4E necessary to prevent ChiVMV infection in pepper...
- Elia A, Constantinou C, Clemens M. Effects of protein phosphorylation on ubiquitination and stability of the translational inhibitor protein 4E-BP1. Oncogene. 2008;27:811-22 pubmed..We suggest that the phosphorylation of 4E-BP1 may play a dual role in the regulation of protein synthesis, both reducing the affinity of 4E-BP1 for eIF4E and promoting the conversion of 4E-BP1 to alternative, polyubiquitinated forms. ..
- Nieto C, Morales M, Orjeda G, Clepet C, Monfort A, Sturbois B, et al. An eIF4E allele confers resistance to an uncapped and non-polyadenylated RNA virus in melon. Plant J. 2006;48:452-62 pubmed..These data, and data from other authors, suggest that translation initiation factors of the eIF4E family are universal determinants of plant susceptibility to RNA viruses...
- Oridate N, Kim H, Xu X, Lotan R. Growth inhibition of head and neck squamous carcinoma cells by small interfering RNAs targeting eIF4E or cyclin D1 alone or combined with cisplatin. Cancer Biol Ther. 2005;4:318-23 pubmed
- Reiling J, Doepfner K, Hafen E, Stocker H. Diet-dependent effects of the Drosophila Mnk1/Mnk2 homolog Lk6 on growth via eIF4E. Curr Biol. 2005;15:24-30 pubmed..A key function in translation initiation is fulfilled by the 5' cap binding eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E), and dysregulation of eIF4E is associated with malignant transformation and tumorigenesis ...
- Yoffe Y, Zuberek J, Lewdorowicz M, Zeira Z, Keasar C, Orr Dahan I, et al. Cap-binding activity of an eIF4E homolog from Leishmania. RNA. 2004;10:1764-75 pubmed publisher..LeishIF4E-1 is distributed in the cytoplasm, but its function is not clear yet, because it cannot substitute the mammalian eIF4E in a rabbit reticulocyte in vitro translation system...
- Wang X, Yue P, Chan C, Ye K, Ueda T, Watanabe Fukunaga R, et al. Inhibition of mammalian target of rapamycin induces phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-dependent and Mnk-mediated eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E phosphorylation. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:7405-13 pubmed..In addition, we also suggest an effective therapeutic strategy for enhancing mTOR-targeted cancer therapy by cotargeting mTOR signaling and Mnk/eIF4E phosphorylation. ..
- Pan H, Bachelder R. Autocrine Semaphorin3A stimulates eukaryotic initiation factor 4E-dependent RhoA translation in breast tumor cells. Exp Cell Res. 2010;316:2825-32 pubmed publisher..These findings identify common signaling pathways that regulate the navigation of neurons and breast cancer cells, thus suggesting novel targets for suppressing breast tumor cell migration. ..
- Moerke N, Aktas H, Chen H, Cantel S, Reibarkh M, Fahmy A, et al. Small-molecule inhibition of the interaction between the translation initiation factors eIF4E and eIF4G. Cell. 2007;128:257-67 pubmed..The identification of this compound provides a new tool for studying translational control and establishes a possible new strategy for cancer therapy. ..
- Tomoo K, Matsushita Y, Fujisaki H, Abiko F, Shen X, Taniguchi T, et al. Structural basis for mRNA Cap-Binding regulation of eukaryotic initiation factor 4E by 4E-binding protein, studied by spectroscopic, X-ray crystal structural, and molecular dynamics simulation methods. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2005;1753:191-208 pubmed..These results provide the structural basis for the mRNA cap-binding regulation of eIF4E by 4E-BP. ..
- Yeam I, Cavatorta J, Ripoll D, Kang B, Jahn M. Functional dissection of naturally occurring amino acid substitutions in eIF4E that confers recessive potyvirus resistance in plants. Plant Cell. 2007;19:2913-28 pubmed..Overexpression of the Capsicum-eIF4E protein containing the G107R amino acid substitution in Solanum lycopersicum indicated that this polymorphism alone is sufficient for the acquisition of resistance against several TEV strains...
- Fierro Monti I, Mohammed S, Matthiesen R, Santoro R, Burns J, Williams D, et al. Quantitative proteomics identifies Gemin5, a scaffolding protein involved in ribonucleoprotein assembly, as a novel partner for eukaryotic initiation factor 4E. J Proteome Res. 2006;5:1367-78 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that our quantitative proteomic strategy can be applied to the identification and quantitation of protein complex components in human cells grown under different conditions. ..
- Flowers A, Chu Q, Panu L, Meschonat C, Caldito G, Lowery Nordberg M, et al. Eukaryotic initiation factor 4E overexpression in triple-negative breast cancer predicts a worse outcome. Surgery. 2009;146:220-6 pubmed publisher..High eukaryotic Initiation Factor 4E (eIF4E) overexpression in tumor specimens is an independent predictor for relapse in breast cancer, ..
- Jung M, Lorenz L, Richter J. Translational control by neuroguidin, a eukaryotic initiation factor 4E and CPEB binding protein. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:4277-87 pubmed..Here, we describe a new eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) binding protein, Neuroguidin (Ngd), and its interaction with CPEB...
- Gao Z, Johansen E, Eyers S, Thomas C, Noel Ellis T, Maule A. The potyvirus recessive resistance gene, sbm1, identifies a novel role for translation initiation factor eIF4E in cell-to-cell trafficking. Plant J. 2004;40:376-85 pubmed..These observations, together with related findings for other potyvirus recessive resistances, provide a more complete picture of the potyvirus life cycle. ..
- Abiko F, Tomoo K, Mizuno A, Morino S, Imataka H, Ishida T. Binding preference of eIF4E for 4E-binding protein isoform and function of eIF4E N-terminal flexible region for interaction, studied by SPR analysis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;355:667-72 pubmed
- Humphreys D, Westman B, Martin D, Preiss T. MicroRNAs control translation initiation by inhibiting eukaryotic initiation factor 4E/cap and poly(A) tail function. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:16961-6 pubmed..Collectively, these results demonstrate that miRNAs interfere with the initiation step of translation and implicate the cap-binding protein eukaryotic initiation factor 4E as a molecular target.
- Kentsis A, Topisirovic I, Culjkovic B, Shao L, Borden K. Ribavirin suppresses eIF4E-mediated oncogenic transformation by physical mimicry of the 7-methyl guanosine mRNA cap. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:18105-10 pubmed..In all, ribavirin's association with eIF4E may provide a pharmacologic means for the interruption of posttranscriptional networks of oncogenes that maintain and enhance neoplasia and malignancy in human cancer. ..
- Mavrakis K, Zhu H, Silva R, Mills J, Teruya Feldstein J, Lowe S, et al. Tumorigenic activity and therapeutic inhibition of Rheb GTPase. Genes Dev. 2008;22:2178-88 pubmed publisher..Of these, only eIF4E was able to enhance lymphomagenesis in vivo. In summary, the Rheb GTPase is an oncogenic activity upstream of mTORC1 and eIF4E and a direct therapeutic target of farnesyltransferase inhibitors in cancer. ..
- Zuberek J, Kubacka D, Jablonowska A, Jemielity J, Stepinski J, Sonenberg N, et al. Weak binding affinity of human 4EHP for mRNA cap analogs. RNA. 2007;13:691-7 pubmed..We show that 4EHP binds cap analogs m(7)GpppG and m(7)GTP with 30 and 100 lower affinity than eIF4E. Thus, 4EHP cannot compete with eIF4E for binding to the cap structure of most mRNAs. ..
- Tomoo K, Abiko F, Miyagawa H, Kitamura K, Ishida T. Effect of N-terminal region of eIF4E and Ser65-phosphorylation of 4E-BP1 on interaction between eIF4E and 4E-BP1 fragment peptide. J Biochem. 2006;140:237-46 pubmedTo clarify the contribution of N-terminal region of eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) to the interaction with 4E-BP and to investigate the effect of 4E-BP phosphorylation on the interaction with eIF4E, the interaction profiles of ..
- Mungamuri S, Yang X, Thor A, Somasundaram K. Survival signaling by Notch1: mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR)-dependent inhibition of p53. Cancer Res. 2006;66:4715-24 pubmed..Further, ectopic expression of eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E), a translational regulator that acts downstream of mTOR, inhibited p53-induced apoptosis and ..
- Carroll M, Dyer J, Sossin W. Serotonin increases phosphorylation of synaptic 4EBP through TOR, but eukaryotic initiation factor 4E levels do not limit somatic cap-dependent translation in aplysia neurons. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:8586-98 pubmed..Here, we characterize one of the downstream targets of TOR, the eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) binding protein (4EBP) from Aplysia...
- Petroulakis E, Mamane Y, Le Bacquer O, Shahbazian D, Sonenberg N. mTOR signaling: implications for cancer and anticancer therapy. Br J Cancer. 2006;94:195-9 pubmed..Thus, inhibition of translation initiation through targeting the mTOR-signalling pathway is emerging as a promising therapeutic option. ..
- Nicaise V, Gallois J, Chafiai F, Allen L, Schurdi Levraud V, Browning K, et al. Coordinated and selective recruitment of eIF4E and eIF4G factors for potyvirus infection in Arabidopsis thaliana. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:1041-6 pubmed..Moreover, the eIF4G selective involvement parallels eIF4E recruitment. This is the first report of a coordinated and selective recruitment of eIF4E and eIF4G factors, suggesting the whole eIF4F recruitment. ..
- Lee J, Choi J, Lee K, Choi C, Kim T, Lee J, et al. eIF-4E expression is associated with histopathologic grades in cervical neoplasia. Hum Pathol. 2005;36:1197-203 pubmedTranslation initiation factor eIF-4E (eukaryotic initiation factor 4E) is a 25 kd messenger RNA cap-binding phosphoprotein and is involved in the initiation of protein synthesis...
- Nathan C, Amirghahari N, Abreo F, Rong X, Caldito G, Jones M, et al. Overexpressed eIF4E is functionally active in surgical margins of head and neck cancer patients via activation of the Akt/mammalian target of rapamycin pathway. Clin Cancer Res. 2004;10:5820-7 pubmed..Rapamycin analogs can potentially be used as adjuvant therapy for patients with eIF4E-positive margins. ..
- Oulhen N, Salaun P, Cosson B, Cormier P, Morales J. After fertilization of sea urchin eggs, eIF4G is post-translationally modified and associated with the cap-binding protein eIF4E. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:425-34 pubmedRelease of eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) from its translational repressor eIF4E-binding protein (4E-BP) is a crucial event for the first mitotic division following fertilization of sea urchin eggs...
- Kiriakidou M, Tan G, Lamprinaki S, De Planell Saguer M, Nelson P, Mourelatos Z. An mRNA m7G cap binding-like motif within human Ago2 represses translation. Cell. 2007;129:1141-51 pubmed..We propose that Ago2 represses the initiation of mRNA translation by binding to the m(7)G cap of mRNA targets, thus likely precluding the recruitment of eIF4E. ..
- Culjkovic B, Topisirovic I, Borden K. Controlling gene expression through RNA regulons: the role of the eukaryotic translation initiation factor eIF4E. Cell Cycle. 2007;6:65-9 pubmed..Here, the physiological implications of these observations are described and the clinical implications of directly targeting eIF4E, and the related regulon, are discussed. ..
- Lall S, Friedman C, Jankowska Anyszka M, Stepinski J, Darzynkiewicz E, Davis R. Contribution of trans-splicing, 5' -leader length, cap-poly(A) synergism, and initiation factors to nematode translation in an Ascaris suum embryo cell-free system. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:45573-85 pubmed
- Topisirovic I, Kentsis A, Perez J, Guzman M, Jordan C, Borden K. Eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E activity is modulated by HOXA9 at multiple levels. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:1100-12 pubmed
- Banko J, Hou L, Poulin F, Sonenberg N, Klann E. Regulation of eukaryotic initiation factor 4E by converging signaling pathways during metabotropic glutamate receptor-dependent long-term depression. J Neurosci. 2006;26:2167-73 pubmed..Our results provide direct evidence that cap-dependent translation is engaged during mGluR-LTD and demonstrate that the MEK-ERK and PI3K-mTOR signaling pathways converge to regulate eIF4E activity after induction of DHPG-LTD. ..
- McClusky D, Chu Q, Yu H, Debenedetti A, Johnson L, Meschonat C, et al. A prospective trial on initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) overexpression and cancer recurrence in node-positive breast cancer. Ann Surg. 2005;242:584-90; discussion 590-2 pubmed..4-fold increase in relative risk for cancer recurrence. Therefore, eIF4E overexpression appears to be an independent predictor of a worse outcome in patients with breast cancer independent of nodal status. ..
- Combe J, Petracek M, van Eldik G, Meulewaeter F, Twell D. Translation initiation factors eIF4E and eIFiso4E are required for polysome formation and regulate plant growth in tobacco. Plant Mol Biol. 2005;57:749-60 pubmed
- Wang X, Beugnet A, Murakami M, Yamanaka S, Proud C. Distinct signaling events downstream of mTOR cooperate to mediate the effects of amino acids and insulin on initiation factor 4E-binding proteins. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:2558-72 pubmed..b>Eukaryotic initiation factor 4E-binding protein 1 (4E-BP1) undergoes phosphorylation at multiple sites...
- Wendel H, Silva R, Malina A, Mills J, Zhu H, Ueda T, et al. Dissecting eIF4E action in tumorigenesis. Genes Dev. 2007;21:3232-7 pubmed..Our results provide insight into how eIF4E contributes to tumorigenesis and pinpoint a level of translational control that may be suitable for therapeutic intervention. ..
- Larsson O, Li S, Issaenko O, Avdulov S, Peterson M, Smith K, et al. Eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E induced progression of primary human mammary epithelial cells along the cancer pathway is associated with targeted translational deregulation of oncogenic drivers and inhibitors. Cancer Res. 2007;67:6814-24 pubmed
- Wang R, Geng J, Wang J, Chu X, Geng H, Chen L. Overexpression of eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) and its clinical significance in lung adenocarcinoma. Lung Cancer. 2009;66:237-44 pubmed publisherb>Eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E), an important regulator of translation, plays important roles in tumor transformation, progression and metastasis...
- Yang S, Hewitt S, Steinberg S, Liewehr D, Swain S. Expression levels of eIF4E, VEGF, and cyclin D1, and correlation of eIF4E with VEGF and cyclin D1 in multi-tumor tissue microarray. Oncol Rep. 2007;17:281-7 pubmedThe mRNA cap-binding protein, eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E), is a rate-limiting factor of cap-dependent translation initiation...
- Ruffel S, Gallois J, Lesage M, Caranta C. The recessive potyvirus resistance gene pot-1 is the tomato orthologue of the pepper pvr2-eIF4E gene. Mol Genet Genomics. 2005;274:346-53 pubmed..Taken together, these results support the role of this eIF4E gene as a key component of recessive resistance to potyviruses, and validate the comparative genomic approach for the molecular characterization of recessive resistance genes. ..
- Zhu N, Gu L, Findley H, Zhou M. Transcriptional repression of the eukaryotic initiation factor 4E gene by wild type p53. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;335:1272-9 pubmedThe eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) plays important roles in transformation and cancer progression. It is frequently overexpressed in malignant cells, one mechanism of which is through transcriptional activation by c-myc...
- Yoffe Y, Zuberek J, Lerer A, Lewdorowicz M, Stepinski J, Altmann M, et al. Binding specificities and potential roles of isoforms of eukaryotic initiation factor 4E in Leishmania. Eukaryot Cell. 2006;5:1969-79 pubmed..We examined the four eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) homologues found in the Leishmania genome database...
- Proud C. The eukaryotic initiation factor 4E-binding proteins and apoptosis. Cell Death Differ. 2005;12:541-6 pubmed
- Byrnes K, White S, Chu Q, Meschonat C, Yu H, Johnson L, et al. High eIF4E, VEGF, and microvessel density in stage I to III breast cancer. Ann Surg. 2006;243:684-90; discussion 691-2 pubmed..In vitro, the overexpression of eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) up-regulates the translation of mRNAs with long 5'-untranslated regions (5'-UTRs)...
- Ge Y, Zhou F, Chen H, Cui C, Liu D, Li Q, et al. Sox2 is translationally activated by eukaryotic initiation factor 4E in human glioma-initiating cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;397:711-7 pubmed publisher..Further investigation revealed there was a positive correlation between Sox2 and eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) in glioma tissues...
- Topisirovic I, Borden K. Homeodomain proteins and eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E (eIF4E): an unexpected relationship. Histol Histopathol. 2005;20:1275-84 pubmed publisher..In this review we focus on several members of the homeodomain protein family, which have recently been identified as a novel class of eIF4E regulators. ..
- Salehi Z, Mashayekhi F. Expression of the eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) and 4E-BP1 in esophageal cancer. Clin Biochem. 2006;39:404-9 pubmedThe eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) has been shown to play a key role in cell growth, and several studies have documented an increased expression of eIF4E in a number of solid tumors, including breast, bladder, cervical and head ..
- Charron C, Nicola M, Gallois J, Robaglia C, Moury B, Palloix A, et al. Natural variation and functional analyses provide evidence for co-evolution between plant eIF4E and potyviral VPg. Plant J. 2008;54:56-68 pubmed publisher..annuum eIF4E proteins further shows that amino acid changes did not impede essential eIF4E functions. Altogether, these results argue in favour of a co-evolutionary 'arms race' between Capsicum eIF4E and potyviral VPg...
- Andrei M, Ingelfinger D, Heintzmann R, Achsel T, Rivera Pomar R, Luhrmann R. A role for eIF4E and eIF4E-transporter in targeting mRNPs to mammalian processing bodies. RNA. 2005;11:717-27 pubmed..These data support a model in which mRNPs undergo several successive steps of remodeling and/or 3' trimming until their composition or structural organization promotes their accumulation in P bodies. ..
- Sato M, Nakahara K, Yoshii M, Ishikawa M, Uyeda I. Selective involvement of members of the eukaryotic initiation factor 4E family in the infection of Arabidopsis thaliana by potyviruses. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:1167-71 pubmed..These results suggest the selective involvement of members of the eIF4E family in infection by potyviruses. ..
- Wilhelm J, Smibert C. Mechanisms of translational regulation in Drosophila. Biol Cell. 2005;97:235-52 pubmed..Our review highlights the complexity that can be involved with multiple factors employing different mechanisms to control the translation of a single mRNA. ..
- Mamane Y, Petroulakis E, Martineau Y, Sato T, Larsson O, Rajasekhar V, et al. Epigenetic activation of a subset of mRNAs by eIF4E explains its effects on cell proliferation. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e242 pubmed..Our results shed new light on the mechanisms by which eIF4E prevents apoptosis and transforms cells. Downregulation of eIF4E and its downstream targets is a potential therapeutic option for the development of novel anti-cancer drugs. ..
- Culjkovic B, Topisirovic I, Skrabanek L, Ruiz Gutierrez M, Borden K. eIF4E promotes nuclear export of cyclin D1 mRNAs via an element in the 3'UTR. J Cell Biol. 2005;169:245-56 pubmed..Our studies demonstrate previously uncharacterized fundamental differences in eIF4E-mRNA recognition between the nuclear and cytoplasmic compartments and further a novel level of regulation of cellular proliferation. ..
- Stein N, Perovic D, Kumlehn J, Pellio B, Stracke S, Streng S, et al. The eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E confers multiallelic recessive Bymovirus resistance in Hordeum vulgare (L.). Plant J. 2005;42:912-22 pubmed
- Salaun P, Boulben S, Mulner Lorillon O, Belle R, Sonenberg N, Morales J, et al. Embryonic-stage-dependent changes in the level of eIF4E-binding proteins during early development of sea urchin embryos. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:1385-94 pubmedThe eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E)-binding proteins (4E-BPs) inhibit translation initiation by binding eIF4E and preventing recruitment of the translation machinery to mRNA...
- Dinkova T, Keiper B, Korneeva N, Aamodt E, Rhoads R. Translation of a small subset of Caenorhabditis elegans mRNAs is dependent on a specific eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E isoform. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:100-13 pubmed..The functions of these proteins can explain some phenotypes observed in ife-4 knockout mutants. These results indicate that translation of a limited subset of mRNAs is dependent on a specific isoform of eIF4E. ..
- Culjkovic B, Topisirovic I, Skrabanek L, Ruiz Gutierrez M, Borden K. eIF4E is a central node of an RNA regulon that governs cellular proliferation. J Cell Biol. 2006;175:415-26 pubmed..Finally, the growth-suppressive promyelocytic leukemia protein (PML) inhibits this RNA regulon. These data provide novel perspectives into the proliferative and oncogenic properties of eIF4E. ..
- Cherla R, Lee S, Mees P, Tesh V. Shiga toxin 1-induced cytokine production is mediated by MAP kinase pathways and translation initiation factor eIF4E in the macrophage-like THP-1 cell line. J Leukoc Biol. 2006;79:397-407 pubmed..These data suggest that Stxs may regulate cytokine expression in part through activation of MAPK cascades, activation of Mnk1, and phosphorylation of eIF4E. ..
- GOLDSON T, Vielhauer G, Staub E, Miller S, Shim H, Hagedorn C. Eukaryotic initiation factor 4E variants alter the morphology, proliferation, and colony-formation properties of MDA-MB-435 cancer cells. Mol Carcinog. 2007;46:71-84 pubmedb>Eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) binds to the 5' m(7)G cap of mRNAs and is a focal point of regulation of initiation of mRNA translation...
- Ferraiuolo M, Basak S, Dostie J, Murray E, Schoenberg D, Sonenberg N. A role for the eIF4E-binding protein 4E-T in P-body formation and mRNA decay. J Cell Biol. 2005;170:913-24 pubmed4E-transporter (4E-T) is one of several proteins that bind the mRNA 5'cap-binding protein, eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E), through a conserved binding motif...
- Polunovsky V, Bitterman P. The cap-dependent translation apparatus integrates and amplifies cancer pathways. RNA Biol. 2006;3:10-7 pubmed
- Balakumaran B, Porrello A, Hsu D, Glover W, Foye A, Leung J, et al. MYC activity mitigates response to rapamycin in prostate cancer through eukaryotic initiation factor 4E-binding protein 1-mediated inhibition of autophagy. Cancer Res. 2009;69:7803-10 pubmed publisher..MYC and the mTOR pathway in human prostate tumors and PrEC showed selective increased expression of eukaryotic initiation factor 4E-binding protein 1 (4EBP1) with gain in MYC copy number or forced MYC expression, respectively...
- Topisirovic I, Siddiqui N, Lapointe V, Trost M, Thibault P, Bangeranye C, et al. Molecular dissection of the eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) export-competent RNP. EMBO J. 2009;28:1087-98 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that mRNA export pathways have evolved for specific mRNAs enabling the differential regulation of biochemical pathways by modulating the expression of groups of genes at the level of their export. ..
- Cho P, Poulin F, Cho Park Y, Cho Park I, Chicoine J, Lasko P, et al. A new paradigm for translational control: inhibition via 5'-3' mRNA tethering by Bicoid and the eIF4E cognate 4EHP. Cell. 2005;121:411-23 pubmed..This example of cap-dependent translational control that is not mediated by canonical eIF4E defines a new paradigm for translational inhibition involving tethering of the mRNA 5' and 3' ends. ..
- Lee V, Healy T, Fonseca B, Hayashi A, Proud C. Analysis of the regulatory motifs in eukaryotic initiation factor 4E-binding protein 1. FEBS J. 2008;275:2185-99 pubmed publisherMammalian target of rapamycin complex 1 (mTORC1) phosphorylates proteins such as eukaryotic initiation factor 4E-binding protein 1 (4E-BP1) and the S6 kinases...
- Kang B, Yeam I, Frantz J, Murphy J, Jahn M. The pvr1 locus in Capsicum encodes a translation initiation factor eIF4E that interacts with Tobacco etch virus VPg. Plant J. 2005;42:392-405 pubmed publisher..Among the three resistance alleles, only the pvr1 gene product failed to bind m7-GTP cap-analog columns, suggesting that disrupted cap binding is not required for potyvirus resistance...
- Hernández G, Altmann M, Sierra J, Urlaub H, Diez del Corral R, Schwartz P, et al. Functional analysis of seven genes encoding eight translation initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) isoforms in Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2005;122:529-43 pubmedThe Drosophila genome-sequencing project has revealed a total of seven genes encoding eight eukaryotic initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) isoforms...
- de Moor C, Meijer H, Lissenden S. Mechanisms of translational control by the 3' UTR in development and differentiation. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2005;16:49-58 pubmed..The translational regulation of the mRNAs encoding cyclin B1, Oskar, Nanos, Male specific lethal 2 (Msl-2), lipoxygenase and Lin-14 is discussed. ..