Genomes and Genes
Summary: Proteins which are present in or isolated from vegetables or vegetable products used as food. The concept is distinguished from PLANT PROTEINS which refers to non-dietary proteins from plants.
- Fredrikson M, Biot P, Alminger M, Carlsson N, Sandberg A. Production process for high-quality pea-protein isolate with low content of oligosaccharides and phytate. J Agric Food Chem. 2001;49:1208-12 pubmed..These qualities of the pea-protein isolate make it a suitable protein source for infant formula production. ..
- Aubertin Leheudre M, Adlercreutz H. Relationship between animal protein intake and muscle mass index in healthy women. Br J Nutr. 2009;102:1803-10 pubmed publisher..42). Thus, a vegetarian diet is associated with a lower muscle mass index than is an omnivorous diet at the same protein intake. A good indicator of muscle mass index in women seems to be animal protein intake. ..
- Larsson S, Virtamo J, Wolk A. Dietary protein intake and risk of stroke in women. Atherosclerosis. 2012;224:247-51 pubmed publisher..56; 95% CI: 0.40, 0.78 for highest versus lowest quintile of total protein). These findings suggest that dietary protein intake is inversely associated with risk of stroke in women with hypertension. ..
- Alessandrini L, Romani S, Rocculi P, Sjöholm I, Dalla Rosa M. Effect of steam cooking on the residual enzymatic activity of potatoes cv. Agria. J Sci Food Agric. 2011;91:2140-5 pubmed publisher..Steam cooking affected in different ways the assessed residual enzymatic activity in the considered tissues of potatoes cv. Agria. Further research is needed to confirm the results obtained. ..
- Baer I, de la Calle B, Taylor P. 3-MCPD in food other than soy sauce or hydrolysed vegetable protein (HVP). Anal Bioanal Chem. 2010;396:443-56 pubmed publisher..Finally, the emergence of 3-MCPD esters and analytical techniques for them are also discussed here, although they are not the main focus of this review. ..
- Bromley J, Warnes B, Newell C, Thomson J, James C, Turnbull C, et al. A purine nucleoside phosphorylase in Solanum tuberosum L. (potato) with specificity for cytokinins contributes to the duration of tuber endodormancy. Biochem J. 2014;458:225-37 pubmed publisher..StCKP1 had no detectable ribohydrolase activity. Evidence is presented that StCKP1 is active in tubers as a negative regulator of CKs, prolonging endodormancy by a chill-reversible mechanism. ..
- de Pinho Pessoa Filho M, Bloch Junior C, da Silva Filho D, Galdino A, da Cunha R, Alves M, et al. Seed protein variation among pepper (Capsicum sp.) genotypes revealed by MALDI-TOF analysis. Protein Pept Lett. 2004;11:57-62 pubmed..We have also been able to identify the presence of certain proteins in the extracts, by checking their masses on on-line databases. ..
- Lásztity R, Khalil M, Haraszi R, Baticz O, Tomoskozi S. Isolation, functional properties and potential use of protein preparations from lupin. Nahrung. 2001;45:396-8 pubmed..Additional enrichment with small quantities of methionine increased significantly the biological value without any negative changes of organoleptic characteristics. ..
- Bligny D, Blat S, Chauvin A, Guerin S, Malbert C. Reduced mechanosensitivity of duodenal vagal afferent neurons after an acute switch from milk-based to plant-based diets in anaesthetized pigs. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2005;56 Suppl 3:89-100 pubmed..This reduced sensitivity to distension may explain the diet-induced alteration of gastric emptying that is controlled primarily through a vago-vagal reflex. ..
- Lech G, Reigh R. Plant products affect growth and digestive efficiency of cultured Florida pompano (Trachinotus carolinus) fed compounded diets. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34981 pubmed publisher..Findings suggested that composition of the reference diet used in a digestibility trial affects the values of calculated ADCs, in addition to the chemical and physical attributes of the test ingredient. ..
- Garcia K, Sriwattana S, No H, Corredor J, Prinyawiwatkul W. Sensory optimization of a mayonnaise-type spread made with rice bran oil and soy protein. J Food Sci. 2009;74:S248-54 pubmed publisher..Purchase intent of all flavored products also significantly increased once consumers had been given the information about potential health benefits associated with RBO and SPC in the spreads. ..
- Zhao R, Xie H, Lv S, Zheng Y, Yu M, Shen L, et al. LeMAPK4 participated in cold-induced ethylene production in tomato fruit. J Sci Food Agric. 2013;93:1003-9 pubmed publisher..The results showed the regulation of MAPK in ethylene biosynthesis to protect tomato fruit from cold stress. In addition, the participation of LeMAPK4 in cold-induced ethylene biosynthesis in tomato fruit was indicated. ..
- Guo H, Sun J, He H, Yu G, Du J. Antihepatotoxic effect of corn peptides against Bacillus Calmette-Guerin/lipopolysaccharide-induced liver injury in mice. Food Chem Toxicol. 2009;47:2431-5 pubmed publisher..Results of this study revealed that CP could afford a significant protection against BCG/LPS-induced hepatocellular injury. It will broaden the application and increase the value of corn gluten meal, byproduct from starch industry. ..
- Berkey C, Willett W, Tamimi R, Rosner B, Frazier A, Colditz G. Vegetable protein and vegetable fat intakes in pre-adolescent and adolescent girls, and risk for benign breast disease in young women. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2013;141:299-306 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, consumption of vegetable protein, fat, peanut butter, or nuts by older girls may help reduce their risk of BBD as young women. ..
- Marin E, Uribe M. Treatment of portal systemic encephalopathy: standard and new treatments. Rev Invest Clin. 1990;42 Suppl:141-8 pubmed..This review describes briefly several therapeutic modalities. ..
- Baroni L, Bonetto C, Tessan F, Goldin D, Cenci L, Magnanini P, et al. Pilot dietary study with normoproteic protein-redistributed plant-food diet and motor performance in patients with Parkinson's disease. Nutr Neurosci. 2011;14:1-9 pubmed publisher..96 vs. 3.15, P = 0.005). These data suggest that PFD may be useful in the management of PD patients by improving their motor performances. Additional studies are needed in order to confirm these preliminary results. ..
- Sellmeyer D, Stone K, Sebastian A, Cummings S. A high ratio of dietary animal to vegetable protein increases the rate of bone loss and the risk of fracture in postmenopausal women. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Am J Clin Nutr. 2001;73:118-22 pubmed..This possibility should be confirmed in other prospective studies and tested in a randomized trial. ..
- Morales Arellano G, Chagolla López A, Paredes Lopez O, Barba de la Rosa A. Characterization of yam bean (Pachyrhizus erosus) proteins. J Agric Food Chem. 2001;49:1512-6 pubmed..In general, yam bean seed proteins showed an excellent balance of all essential amino acids; albumins contain the highest amount of essential amino acids. ..
- Bhat R, Sridhar K, Seena S. Nutritional quality evaluation of velvet bean seeds (Mucuna pruriens) exposed to gamma irradiation. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2008;59:261-78 pubmed..Results of the present investigation reveal that application of gamma irradiation does not affect the overall nutritional composition and can be used as an effective method of preservation of Mucuna seed and their products...
- Messina M, Tulli F, Messina C, Franchin C, Tibaldi E. Partial substitution of fish meal with vegetable protein sources in a diet for sea bass: effects on lipogenesis. Vet Res Commun. 2005;29 Suppl 2:371-4 pubmed
- Park Y, Wu B, Tian W, Zhou H. Effects of osmolytes on unfolding of chicken liver fatty acid synthase. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2002;67:914-7 pubmed..The osmolytes also protected the enzyme from inactivation. ..
- Lee J, Cho Y, Park S, Lee C, Yoo B, Moon H, et al. Eggplant anaphylaxis in a patient with latex allergy. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004;113:995-6 pubmed
- Walker S, Adams M, Franke A, Register T. Effects of dietary soy protein on iliac and carotid artery atherosclerosis and gene expression in male monkeys. Atherosclerosis. 2008;196:106-13 pubmed publisher..The negative associations of arterial ER alpha expression with atherosclerosis lend support to a mechanistic role for estrogen receptors in atherosclerosis susceptibility which merits further study...
- Yew S, Lim T, Lew L, Bhat R, Mat Easa A, Liong M. Development of a probiotic delivery system from agrowastes, soy protein isolate, and microbial transglutaminase. J Food Sci. 2011;76:H108-15 pubmed publisher..SPI carriers containing agrowastes may be useful transports for living probiotic cells through the stomach prior to delivery in the lower intestines...
- Nogales Mérida S, Tomás Vidal A, Moñino López A, Jover Cerdá M, Martínez Llorens S. Pea protein concentrate in diets for sharpsnout sea bream (Diplodus puntazzo): effects on growth and health status. Arch Anim Nutr. 2016;70:488-502 pubmed publisher..It was concluded that the PPC in the amounts tested here is an inappropriate substitute for fishmeal in diets for sharpsnout sea bream juveniles. ..
- Batista S, Medina A, Pires M, Morinigo M, Sansuwan K, Fernandes J, et al. Innate immune response, intestinal morphology and microbiota changes in Senegalese sole fed plant protein diets with probiotics or autolysed yeast. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2016;100:7223-38 pubmed publisher..The predominant bacteria found in sole intestine were Vibrio sp. and dietary probiotic supplementation caused a reduction in Vibrio content, regardless of the PP level. ..
- Scopp A. MSG and hydrolyzed vegetable protein induced headache: review and case studies. Headache. 1991;31:107-10 pubmed..Information and food lists helpful in identifying dietary MSG and HVP are presented. When patients are put on an MSG-free trial diet, attention needs to be given to identification of the wide variety of foods containing MSG and HVP. ..
- Allen N, Appleby P, Key T, Bueno de Mesquita H, Ros M, Kiemeney L, et al. Macronutrient intake and risk of urothelial cell carcinoma in the European prospective investigation into cancer and nutrition. Int J Cancer. 2013;132:635-44 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that animal and/or plant protein may affect the risk of urothelial cell carcinoma, and examination of these associations in other studies is needed. ..
- Schwenke K. Reflections about the functional potential of legume proteins. A review. Nahrung. 2001;45:377-81 pubmed..e. legumin-like 11 S globulins and vicilin-like 7 S globulin, and the structural and functional modification of 11 S globulin by limited tryptic hydrolysis and by acylation are discussed in this paper. ..
- Peña Valdivia C, García Nava J, Aguirre J, Ybarra Moncada M, López M. Variation in physical and chemical characteristics of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) grain along a domestication gradient. Chem Biodivers. 2011;8:2211-25 pubmed publisher..Some wild samples from Chihuahua and Durango, Mexico, showed to be a genetic resource to improve food quality, because of their richness in minerals, protein, lysine, tryptophan, and dietary fibers. ..
- Anderson J, Bush H. Soy protein effects on serum lipoproteins: a quality assessment and meta-analysis of randomized, controlled studies. J Am Coll Nutr. 2011;30:79-91 pubmed..Regular consumption of 1 to 2 servings of soy protein daily (15 to 30 g) has a significant favorable impact on serum lipoprotein risk factors for CHD. ..
- Hevrøy E, El Mowafi A, Taylor R, Norberg B, Espe M. Effects of a high plant protein diet on the somatotropic system and cholecystokinin in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.). Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2008;151:621-7 pubmed publisher..There were no signalling effects detected either by the minor differences of the diets on mRNA levels of GH, GH-R, IGF-IR, IGF-II, IGFBP-1, CCK or plasma protein IGF-I. ..
- Asero R, Mistrello G, Roncarolo D, Amato S, Arcidiacono R, Fortunato D. Detection of a novel allergen in raw tomato. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2008;18:397-400 pubmed..Based on a comparison with currently known tomato allergens, this seems to be a novel allergen protein. ..
- Cardoso C, Provinciatto P, Godoi D, Vieira T, Ferreira B, Teixeira G, et al. B cells are involved in the modulation of pathogenic gut immune response in food-allergic enteropathy. Clin Exp Immunol. 2008;154:153-61 pubmed publisher..Finally, we provided evidence that B cells are necessary to the development of food-related enteropathies and induction of gut inflammation during allergic reactions to food. ..
- Chakraborty S, Haldar U, Bera A, Pal A, Bhattacharya S, Ghosh S, et al. Recognition and stabilization of a unique CPRI--structural motif in cucurbitaceae family trypsin inhibitor peptides: molecular dynamics based homology modeling using the X-ray structure of MCTI-II. J Biomol Struct Dyn. 2001;18:569-77 pubmed
- Ohh S, Shinde P, Jin Z, Choi J, Hahn T, Lim H, et al. Potato (Solanum tuberosum L. cv. Gogu valley) protein as an antimicrobial agent in the diets of broilers. Poult Sci. 2009;88:1227-34 pubmed publisher..05) as the level of RPP was increased in the diet. These results suggest that both PP and RPP obtained from Gogu valley potato tubers have in vivo antimicrobial activity. ..
- Engqvist L. Effects of infection of common root rot on protein content, cooking quality and other characters in pea varieties. Nahrung. 2001;45:374-6 pubmed..Seed yield, protein content, cooking quality, hectolitre weight, thousand kernel weight, growing time, duration of flowering time and stem length were all significantly influenced by the fungus. ..
- Zhang X, Yang M, Ma Y, Tian J, Song J. Isolation and activity of an alpha-amylase inhibitor from white kidney beans. Yao Xue Xue Bao. 2007;42:1282-7 pubmed
- Matemu A, Katayama S, Kayahara H, Murasawa H, Nakamura S. Improving surface functional properties of tofu whey-derived peptides by chemical modification with fatty acids. J Food Sci. 2012;77:C333-9 pubmed publisher..This study shows that chemical modification with fatty acids can further affect functional properties of soy proteins. ..
- Hégrová B, Farková M, Macuchová S, Havel J, Preisler J. Investigation of relationships between barley stress peptides and beer gushing using SDS-PAGE and MS screening. J Sep Sci. 2009;32:4247-53 pubmed publisher..07, 0.34>), (/r/ in <0.01, 0.49>), respectively, as detected by both methods. ..
- Nagarajan S. Mechanisms of anti-atherosclerotic functions of soy-based diets. J Nutr Biochem. 2010;21:255-60 pubmed publisher..Hence, in this review article the inflammatory processes associated with atherosclerosis and possible anti-inflammatory functions of soy-based diets contributing to the prevention of atherosclerosis are presented. ..
- Kala B, Mohan V. Nutritional and anti-nutritional potential of three accessions of itching bean (Mucuna pruriens (L.) DC var. pruriens): an under-utilized tribal pulse. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2010;61:497-511 pubmed publisher..The anti-nutritional fatty acid, behenic acid, also was detected in the present study. ..
- Demirhan E, Apar D, Ozbek B. A kinetic study on sesame cake protein hydrolysis by Alcalase. J Food Sci. 2011;76:C64-7 pubmed publisher..licheniformis, to investigate the reaction kinetics of sesame cake hydrolysis and to determine decay and product inhibition effects for Alcalase. ..
- Scerra M, Caparra P, Foti F, Cilione C, Zappia G, Motta C, et al. Intramuscular fatty acid composition of lambs fed diets containing alternative protein sources. Meat Sci. 2011;87:229-33 pubmed publisher..In conclusion the use of legume seeds such as peas in lamb diets positively affected intramuscular fatty acid composition. ..
- Siegwein A, Vodovotz Y, Fisher E. Concentration of soy protein isolate affects starch-based confections' texture, sensory, and storage properties. J Food Sci. 2011;76:E422-8 pubmed publisher..Gumminess and cohesiveness of soy protein isolate confection was lower during 20 d of storage. ..
- Jongen W, Meerdink G. Pea proteins based food products as meat replacers: the Profetas concept. Nahrung. 2001;45:402-4 pubmed..The programme compromises 16 PhD and post-doctoral projects. ..
- Hurrell R. Influence of vegetable protein sources on trace element and mineral bioavailability. J Nutr. 2003;133:2973S-7S pubmed..5. At these low levels of phytic acid (20-30 mg/100 g dried product), zinc absorption should be satisfactory. ..
- Vallianou N, Bountziouka V, Georgousopoulou E, Evangelopoulos A, Bonou M, Vogiatzakis E, et al. Influence of protein intake from haem and non-haem animals and plant origin on inflammatory biomarkers among apparently-healthy adults in Greece. J Health Popul Nutr. 2013;31:446-54 pubmed..The confounding role of dietary habits and lifestyle variables on the tested parameters deserves further attention in future research. ..
- Arellano Martínez G, Granados O, Palacios González B, Torres N, Medina Vera I, Tovar A. Soya protein stimulates bile acid excretion by the liver and intestine through direct and indirect pathways influenced by the presence of dietary cholesterol. Br J Nutr. 2014;111:2059-66 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, SP in the presence of cholesterol increases BA synthesis via the repressions of FGF15 and SHP and accelerates BA excretion to prevent cholesterol overload in the enterocytes by increasing RCT. ..
- Butardo V, Sreenivasulu N. Tailoring Grain Storage Reserves for a Healthier Rice Diet and its Comparative Status with Other Cereals. Int Rev Cell Mol Biol. 2016;323:31-70 pubmed publisher..We identify gene targets for precision breeding that will facilitate the production of rice grains and rice-based products to mitigate the impact of nutrition-related preventable diseases. ..
- Park K, Ito Y, Nagasawa T, Choi M, Nishizawa N. Effects of dietary Korean proso-millet protein on plasma adiponectin, HDL cholesterol, insulin levels, and gene expression in obese type 2 diabetic mice. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2008;72:2918-25 pubmed