Genomes and Genes
rna cap binding proteins
Summary: Proteins that specifically bind to RNA CAPS and form nuclear cap binding protein complexes. In addition to stabilizing the 5' end of mRNAs, they serve a diverse array of functions such as enhancing mRNA transport out of the CELL NUCLEUS and regulating MRNA TRANSLATION in the CYTOPLASM.
- Muhlrad D, Parker R. Aberrant mRNAs with extended 3' UTRs are substrates for rapid degradation by mRNA surveillance. RNA. 1999;5:1299-307 pubmed
- Lewis J, Izaurralde E. The role of the cap structure in RNA processing and nuclear export. Eur J Biochem. 1997;247:461-9 pubmed..The purpose of this review is to summarise our current knowledge on the role of the cap structure and of the cap-binding protein complex in nuclear RNA metabolism and present evidence that at least some processes may be coupled in vivo. ..
- Massenet S, Pellizzoni L, Paushkin S, Mattaj I, Dreyfuss G. The SMN complex is associated with snRNPs throughout their cytoplasmic assembly pathway. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:6533-41 pubmed..Thus, the SMN complex is associated with snRNPs during the entire process of their biogenesis in the cytoplasm and may have multiple functions throughout this process. ..
- Teixeira D, Parker R. Analysis of P-body assembly in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:2274-87 pubmed..Taken together, these results provide insight both into the function of individual proteins involved in mRNA degradation and the mechanisms by which yeast P-bodies assemble. ..
- McKendrick L, Thompson E, Ferreira J, Morley S, Lewis J. Interaction of eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4G with the nuclear cap-binding complex provides a link between nuclear and cytoplasmic functions of the m(7) guanosine cap. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:3632-41 pubmed..This may provide a mechanism to couple nuclear and cytoplasmic functions of the mRNA cap structure. ..
- Rom E, Kim H, Gingras A, Marcotrigiano J, Favre D, Olsen H, et al. Cloning and characterization of 4EHP, a novel mammalian eIF4E-related cap-binding protein. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:13104-9 pubmed..A putative function for 4EHP is discussed. ..
- Coller J, Tucker M, Sheth U, Valencia Sanchez M, Parker R. The DEAD box helicase, Dhh1p, functions in mRNA decapping and interacts with both the decapping and deadenylase complexes. RNA. 2001;7:1717-27 pubmed..Interestingly, Dhh1p homologs in others species function in maternal mRNA storage. This provides a novel link between the mechanisms of decapping and maternal mRNA translational repression. ..
- Strasser A, Dickmanns A, Schmidt U, Penka E, Urlaub H, Sekine M, et al. Purification, crystallization and preliminary crystallographic data of the m3G cap-binding domain of human snRNP import factor snurportin 1. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2004;60:1628-31 pubmed..47, c = 130.09 A, alpha = beta = gamma = 90 degrees. Crystals contain one molecule in the asymmetric unit and diffract to a resolution limit of 2.9 A. ..
- Ingelfinger D, Arndt Jovin D, Luhrmann R, Achsel T. The human LSm1-7 proteins colocalize with the mRNA-degrading enzymes Dcp1/2 and Xrnl in distinct cytoplasmic foci. RNA. 2002;8:1489-501 pubmed..Therefore, the foci contain a partially or fully assembled machinery for the degradation of mRNA. ..
- Monecke T, Guttler T, Neumann P, Dickmanns A, Gorlich D, Ficner R. Crystal structure of the nuclear export receptor CRM1 in complex with Snurportin1 and RanGTP. Science. 2009;324:1087-91 pubmed publisher..The structure suggests that RanGTP promotes cargo-binding to CRM1 solely through long-range conformational changes in the exportin. ..
- Strasser A, Dickmanns A, Luhrmann R, Ficner R. Structural basis for m3G-cap-mediated nuclear import of spliceosomal UsnRNPs by snurportin1. EMBO J. 2005;24:2235-43 pubmed..The critical role of this tryptophan and as well of a tryptophan continuing the RNA base stack was confirmed by nuclear import assays and cap-binding activity tests using several snurportin1 mutants. ..
- Tharun S, Parker R. Targeting an mRNA for decapping: displacement of translation factors and association of the Lsm1p-7p complex on deadenylated yeast mRNAs. Mol Cell. 2001;8:1075-83 pubmed..These results define an important rearrangement in mRNP organization and suggest that deadenylation promotes mRNA decapping by both the loss of Pab1p and the recruitment of the Lsm1p-7p complex. ..
- Sakuno T, Araki Y, Ohya Y, Kofuji S, Takahashi S, Hoshino S, et al. Decapping reaction of mRNA requires Dcp1 in fission yeast: its characterization in different species from yeast to human. J Biochem. 2004;136:805-12 pubmed
- Huber J, Dickmanns A, Luhrmann R. The importin-beta binding domain of snurportin1 is responsible for the Ran- and energy-independent nuclear import of spliceosomal U snRNPs in vitro. J Cell Biol. 2002;156:467-79 pubmed..Our results suggest that the nature of the IBB domain modulates the strength and/or site of interaction of impbeta with nucleoporins of the nuclear pore complex, and thus whether or not Ran is required to dissociate these interactions. ..
- Bahia D, Aviñó A, Darzynkiewicz E, Eritja R, Bach Elias M. Trimethylguanosine nucleoside inhibits cross-linking between Snurportin 1 and m3G-CAPPED U1 snRNA. Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids. 2006;25:909-23 pubmed..These results indicate that the free nucleoside TMG could be a candidate to be an inhibitor of the interaction between Snurportin 1 and U snRNAs. We also show the behavior of free TMG nucleoside in in vitro U snRNPs nuclear import. ..
- Meyer S, Temme C, Wahle E. Messenger RNA turnover in eukaryotes: pathways and enzymes. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol. 2004;39:197-216 pubmed..In the second pathway, the mRNA body is degraded by a complex of 3' exonucleases before the remaining cap structure is hydrolyzed. This review discusses the proteins involved in the catalysis and control of both decay pathways. ..
- Fortes P, Inada T, Preiss T, Hentze M, Mattaj I, Sachs A. The yeast nuclear cap binding complex can interact with translation factor eIF4G and mediate translation initiation. Mol Cell. 2000;6:191-6 pubmed..These data suggest that eIF4E binding to the eIF4G-CBC complex on newly exported mRNA displaces CBC, and that the first round of translation on mRNA may occur via a different mechanism than subsequent rounds. ..
- Boeck R, Lapeyre B, Brown C, Sachs A. Capped mRNA degradation intermediates accumulate in the yeast spb8-2 mutant. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:5062-72 pubmed..These data show that this Sm-like protein family member is involved in the process of mRNA decapping, and they provide an example of 3'-5' mRNA degradation intermediates in yeast. ..
- Anderson J, Parker R. The 3' to 5' degradation of yeast mRNAs is a general mechanism for mRNA turnover that requires the SKI2 DEVH box protein and 3' to 5' exonucleases of the exosome complex. EMBO J. 1998;17:1497-506 pubmed..These observations argue that efficient mRNA turnover is required for viability and that we have identified the two major pathways of mRNA decay in yeast. ..
- Chowdhury A, Mukhopadhyay J, Tharun S. The decapping activator Lsm1p-7p-Pat1p complex has the intrinsic ability to distinguish between oligoadenylated and polyadenylated RNAs. RNA. 2007;13:998-1016 pubmed..These results indicate that the intrinsic RNA-binding characteristics of this complex form a critical determinant of its in vivo interactions and functions. ..
- Gregory B, O Malley R, Lister R, Urich M, Tonti Filippini J, Chen H, et al. A link between RNA metabolism and silencing affecting Arabidopsis development. Dev Cell. 2008;14:854-66 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results reveal unexpected connections between RNA metabolism and silencing pathways. ..
- Kufel J, Allmang C, Petfalski E, Beggs J, Tollervey D. Lsm Proteins are required for normal processing and stability of ribosomal RNAs. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:2147-56 pubmed..We propose that Lsm proteins facilitate RNA protein interactions and structural changes required during ribosomal subunit assembly. ..
- Sheth U, Parker R. Decapping and decay of messenger RNA occur in cytoplasmic processing bodies. Science. 2003;300:805-8 pubmed..These results define the flux of mRNAs between polysomes and P bodies as a critical aspect of cytoplasmic mRNA metabolism and a possible site for regulation of mRNA degradation...
- Ishigaki Y, Li X, Serin G, Maquat L. Evidence for a pioneer round of mRNA translation: mRNAs subject to nonsense-mediated decay in mammalian cells are bound by CBP80 and CBP20. Cell. 2001;106:607-17 pubmed..They also indicate that CBP80-bound mRNA undergoes a "pioneer" round of translation, before CBP80-CBP20 are replaced by eIF4E, and Upf2 and Upf3 proteins dissociate from upstream of exon-exon junctions. ..
- Tharun S, He W, Mayes A, Lennertz P, Beggs J, Parker R. Yeast Sm-like proteins function in mRNA decapping and decay. Nature. 2000;404:515-8 pubmed..In addition, the Lsm complex that functions in mRNA decay appears to be distinct from the U6-associated Lsm complex, indicating that Lsm proteins form specific complexes that affect different aspects of mRNA metabolism. ..
- Paraskeva E, Izaurralde E, Bischoff F, Huber J, Kutay U, Hartmann E, et al. CRM1-mediated recycling of snurportin 1 to the cytoplasm. J Cell Biol. 1999;145:255-64 pubmed..This mechanism appears crucial for productive import cycles as it can ensure that CRM1 only exports snurportin 1 that has already released its import substrate in the nucleus. ..
- Wohlwend D, Strasser A, Dickmanns A, Ficner R. Structural basis for RanGTP independent entry of spliceosomal U snRNPs into the nucleus. J Mol Biol. 2007;374:1129-38 pubmed
- Mitrousis G, Olia A, Walker Kopp N, Cingolani G. Molecular basis for the recognition of snurportin 1 by importin beta. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:7877-84 pubmed publisher..We propose that in vivo the synergy of Nup153 and nuclear RanGTP promotes translocation of uridine-rich ribonucleoproteins into the nucleus. ..
- Izaurralde E, Lewis J, Gamberi C, Jarmolowski A, McGuigan C, Mattaj I. A cap-binding protein complex mediating U snRNA export. Nature. 1995;376:709-12 pubmed..These results demonstrate that CBC mediates the effect of the cap structure in U snRNA export, and provide direct evidence for the involvement of a cellular RNA-binding factor in the transport of RNA to the cytoplasm. ..
- Otulakowski G, Duan W, O Brodovich H. Global and gene-specific translational regulation in rat lung development. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2009;40:555-67 pubmed publisher..Translational regulation of IL-18 and protein phosphatase 1 regulatory (inhibitor) subunit 2 is gene-specific, as these changes contrast with the corresponding global changes in polysome abundance. ..
- Zapata J, Maroto F, Sierra J. Inactivation of mRNA cap-binding protein complex in Drosophila melanogaster embryos under heat shock. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:16007-14 pubmed..Together, the above results suggest that some modification leading to the disruption of Drosophila CBP complex may account, at least to some extent, for the mRNA discrimination established in heat-shocked Drosophila embryos. ..
- Lykke Andersen J. Identification of a human decapping complex associated with hUpf proteins in nonsense-mediated decay. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:8114-21 pubmed..These data suggest that a human decapping complex may be recruited to mRNAs containing premature termination codons by the hUpf proteins...
- Korneeva N, Song A, Gram H, Edens M, Rhoads R. Inhibition of Mitogen-activated Protein Kinase (MAPK)-interacting Kinase (MNK) Preferentially Affects Translation of mRNAs Containing Both a 5'-Terminal Cap and Hairpin. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:3455-67 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that MNK stimulates translation only of mRNAs containing both a cap and 5'-terminal RNA duplex via eIF4E phosphorylation, thereby enhancing the coupled cap-binding and RNA-unwinding activities of eIF4F. ..
- Sekiyama N, Boeszoermenyi A, Arthanari H, Wagner G, Léger Abraham M. 1H, 13C, and 15N backbone chemical shift assignments of 4E-BP144-87 and 4E-BP144-87 bound to eIF4E. Biomol NMR Assign. 2017;11:187-191 pubmed publisher..The chemical shift data constitute a prerequisite to understanding the mechanism of action of translation initiation inhibitors, including 4EGI-1, that modulate the eIF4E/4E-BP1 interaction. ..
- Jabri E. Competing for the cap. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2005;12:478 pubmed
- Colot H, Stutz F, Rosbash M. The yeast splicing factor Mud13p is a commitment complex component and corresponds to CBP20, the small subunit of the nuclear cap-binding complex. Genes Dev. 1996;10:1699-708 pubmed..Taken together with the accompanying results for a mammalian system, our data indicate that cap-binding proteins as well as the pre-mRNA cap contribute to early steps in spliceosome assembly. ..
- Jeong M, Lee E, Yun C, Cho S, Choi Y. Post-transcriptional regulation of the xynA expression by a novel mRNA binding protein, XaiF. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;351:153-8 pubmed..Intriguingly, in vitro RNA-protein binding assay and analysis using gst-xynA 3'-UTR chimeric gene constructs demonstrated that the XaiF stabilizes xynA mRNA by direct binding onto the 3'-UTR of the mRNA. ..
- Hwang J, Sato H, Tang Y, Matsuda D, Maquat L. UPF1 association with the cap-binding protein, CBP80, promotes nonsense-mediated mRNA decay at two distinct steps. Mol Cell. 2010;39:396-409 pubmed publisher..A unifying model proposes a choreographed series of protein-protein interactions occurring on an NMD target...
- Wong C, Qiu H, Hu C, Dong J, Hinnebusch A. Yeast cap binding complex impedes recruitment of cleavage factor IA to weak termination sites. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:6520-31 pubmed
- Zhang F, Wang L, Lim J, Kim T, Pyo Y, Sung S, et al. Phosphorylation of CBP20 Links MicroRNA to Root Growth in the Ethylene Response. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1006437 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we proposed that ethylene regulated phosphorylation of CBP20 is involved in the root growth and one pathway is through the regulation of miR319b and its target MYB33 in roots. ..
- Timpano S, Uniacke J. Human Cells Cultured under Physiological Oxygen Utilize Two Cap-binding Proteins to recruit Distinct mRNAs for Translation. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:10772-82 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that the physioxic proteome is generated by initiating translation of mRNAs via two distinct but complementary cap-binding proteins. ..
- Santa Catalina M, Garcia Marin L, Bragado M. Lovastatin effect in rat neuroblasts of the CNS: inhibition of cap-dependent translation. J Neurochem. 2008;106:1078-91 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we suggest that lovastatin-induced protein synthesis inhibition might not contribute to the concomitant neuroblasts apoptosis previously observed. ..
- Schell T, Kulozik A, Hentze M. Integration of splicing, transport and translation to achieve mRNA quality control by the nonsense-mediated decay pathway. Genome Biol. 2002;3:REVIEWS1006 pubmed..New findings suggest that these exon-exon junction complexes and the complexes that bind mRNA caps are key effectors of the fate of spliced mRNAs and may regulate whether mRNAs containing premature stop codons are degraded. ..
- Maroto F, Sierra J. Purification and characterization of mRNA cap-binding protein from Drosophila melanogaster embryos. Mol Cell Biol. 1989;9:2181-90 pubmed..Despite the structural differences between Drosophila 35-kDa CBP and mammalian initiation factor 4E, both proteins were functionally interchangeable in the in vitro translation system from Drosophila embryos. ..
- Yeam I, Cavatorta J, Ripoll D, Kang B, Jahn M. Functional dissection of naturally occurring amino acid substitutions in eIF4E that confers recessive potyvirus resistance in plants. Plant Cell. 2007;19:2913-28 pubmed..Overexpression of the Capsicum-eIF4E protein containing the G107R amino acid substitution in Solanum lycopersicum indicated that this polymorphism alone is sufficient for the acquisition of resistance against several TEV strains...
- Truitt M, Conn C, Shi Z, Pang X, Tokuyasu T, Coady A, et al. Differential Requirements for eIF4E Dose in Normal Development and Cancer. Cell. 2015;162:59-71 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate eIF4E is maintained at levels in excess for normal development that are hijacked by cancer cells to drive a translational program supporting tumorigenesis. ..
- Beckham C, Light H, Nissan T, Ahlquist P, Parker R, Noueiry A. Interactions between brome mosaic virus RNAs and cytoplasmic processing bodies. J Virol. 2007;81:9759-68 pubmed..These observations suggest that the accumulation of BMV RNAs in P bodies may be an important step in RNA replication complex assembly for BMV, and possibly for other positive-strand RNA viruses...
- Rashpa R, Vazquez Pianzola P, Colombo M, Hernández G, Beuchle D, Berger F, et al. Cbp80 is needed for the expression of piRNA components and piRNAs. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0181743 pubmed publisher..This shows that Cbp80 plays an important role in the production and localization of the protein components of the piRNA pathway and it seems to be less important for the production and export of the piRNA precursor transcripts. ..
- Okumura F, Zou W, Zhang D. ISG15 modification of the eIF4E cognate 4EHP enhances cap structure-binding activity of 4EHP. Genes Dev. 2007;21:255-60 pubmed..These data suggest that ISGylation of 4EHP may play an important role in cap structure-dependent translation control in immune responses. ..
- Lopez Lastra M, Rivas A, Barría M. Protein synthesis in eukaryotes: the growing biological relevance of cap-independent translation initiation. Biol Res. 2005;38:121-46 pubmed
- Lejeune F, Ishigaki Y, Li X, Maquat L. The exon junction complex is detected on CBP80-bound but not eIF4E-bound mRNA in mammalian cells: dynamics of mRNP remodeling. EMBO J. 2002;21:3536-45 pubmed..Each of these proteins is also detected on CBP80-bound mRNA in the cytoplasmic fraction, indicating a presence on mRNA after export. The dynamics of mRNP composition before and after mRNA export are discussed. ..
- Kühn Hölsken E, Lenz C, Dickmanns A, Hsiao H, Richter F, Kastner B, et al. Mapping the binding site of snurportin 1 on native U1 snRNP by cross-linking and mass spectrometry. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:5581-93 pubmed publisher..Moreover, this suggests a functional nuclear import complex that assembles around the m(3)G cap and the Sm proteins only when the Sm proteins are bound and arranged in the proper orientation to the cognate Sm site in U snRNA. ..
- Walters R, Bradrick S, Gromeier M. Poly(A)-binding protein modulates mRNA susceptibility to cap-dependent miRNA-mediated repression. RNA. 2010;16:239-50 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings further define the cis- and trans-acting factors that modulate miRNA efficacy. ..
- Gorlich D, Mattaj I. Nucleocytoplasmic transport. Science. 1996;271:1513-8 pubmed..The whole review is slanted toward discussion of metazoan cells. ..
- Goette M, Grubmuller H. Accuracy and convergence of free energy differences calculated from nonequilibrium switching processes. J Comput Chem. 2009;30:447-56 pubmed publisher..CGI is highly parallelizable and, for the test systems considered here, is shown to outperform the other studied equilibrium and nonequilibrium methods. ..
- Sans M, Williams J. Calcineurin is required for translational control of protein synthesis in rat pancreatic acini. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2004;287:C310-9 pubmed..From these results, we conclude that calcineurin activity is required for protein synthesis, and this action may be related to an effect on the formation of the mRNA cap binding complex and the elongation processes. ..
- Fechter P, Brownlee G. Recognition of mRNA cap structures by viral and cellular proteins. J Gen Virol. 2005;86:1239-49 pubmed..A comparison with new functional data for another viral cap-binding protein--the polymerase basic protein (PB2) of influenza virus--suggests that a similar cap-binding mechanism has also evolved in influenza virus. ..
- Kataoka N, Ohno M, Moda I, Shimura Y. Identification of the factors that interact with NCBP, an 80 kDa nuclear cap binding protein. Nucleic Acids Res. 1995;23:3638-41 pubmed..We also show that NCBP requires NIP1 for binding to the cap structure. Possible roles of NIPs in cap-dependent nuclear processes are discussed. ..
- Goyer C, Altmann M, Lee H, Blanc A, Deshmukh M, Woolford J, et al. TIF4631 and TIF4632: two yeast genes encoding the high-molecular-weight subunits of the cap-binding protein complex (eukaryotic initiation factor 4F) contain an RNA recognition motif-like sequence and carry out an essential function. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:4860-74 pubmed..Sequence comparison of TIF4631, TIF4632, and the human eIF-4F p220 subunit revealed significant stretches of homology. We have thus cloned two yeast homologs of mammalian p220. ..
- Flaherty S, Fortes P, Izaurralde E, Mattaj I, Gilmartin G. Participation of the nuclear cap binding complex in pre-mRNA 3' processing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:11893-8 pubmed..The data provides further support for the hypothesis that pre-mRNAs and mRNAs may exist and be functional in the form of "closed-loops," due to interactions between factors bound at their 5' and 3' ends. ..
- Kuhn J, Boisson Dernier A, Dizon M, Maktabi M, Schroeder J. The protein phosphatase AtPP2CA negatively regulates abscisic acid signal transduction in Arabidopsis, and effects of abh1 on AtPP2CA mRNA. Plant Physiol. 2006;140:127-39 pubmed..Moreover, expression of a 35SAtPP2CA cDNA fusion in abh1 partially suppresses abh1 hypersensitivity, and the data further suggest that additional mechanisms contribute to ABA hypersensitivity of abh1. ..
- Kofuji S, Sakuno T, Takahashi S, Araki Y, Doi Y, Hoshino S, et al. The decapping enzyme Dcp1 participates in translation termination through its interaction with the release factor eRF3 in budding yeast. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;344:547-53 pubmed..These results suggest that the decapping enzyme Dcp1p may have an additional role in the translation termination through its interaction with eRF3p. ..
- Watkins N, Lemm I, Luhrmann R. Involvement of nuclear import and export factors in U8 box C/D snoRNP biogenesis. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:7018-27 pubmed
- Gamberi C, Izaurralde E, Beisel C, Mattaj I. Interaction between the human nuclear cap-binding protein complex and hnRNP F. Mol Cell Biol. 1997;17:2587-97 pubmed..Thus, hnRNP F is required for efficient pre-mRNA splicing in vitro and may participate in the effect of CBC on pre-mRNA splicing. ..
- Kuperwasser N, Brogna S, Dower K, Rosbash M. Nonsense-mediated decay does not occur within the yeast nucleus. RNA. 2004;10:1907-15 pubmed..The data taken together indicate that there are no direct consequences of a PTC within the yeast nucleus. ..
- Hugouvieux V, Murata Y, Young J, Kwak J, Mackesy D, Schroeder J. Localization, ion channel regulation, and genetic interactions during abscisic acid signaling of the nuclear mRNA cap-binding protein, ABH1. Plant Physiol. 2002;130:1276-87 pubmed..These data provide evidence for the model that the mRNA-processing proteins ABH1 and SAD1 function as negative regulators in guard cell ABA signaling. ..
- Pyronnet S. Phosphorylation of the cap-binding protein eIF4E by the MAPK-activated protein kinase Mnk1. Biochem Pharmacol. 2000;60:1237-43 pubmed..Consequently, control of eIF4E phosphorylation may not strictly depend on changes in Mnk1 activity. The possibility that integrity of the eIF4E/eIF4G/Mnk1 complex also impinges upon eIF4E phosphorylation is discussed. ..
- Chandrasekaran R, Thompson M. Polybromo-1-bromodomains bind histone H3 at specific acetyl-lysine positions. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;355:661-6 pubmed..Quantitative analysis of single bromodomain-histone interactions can be used to develop hypotheses regarding the histone acetylation pattern that acts as the binding target of the native polybromo-1 protein. ..
- Unhavaithaya Y, Hao Y, Beyret E, Yin H, Kuramochi Miyagawa S, Nakano T, et al. MILI, a PIWI-interacting RNA-binding protein, is required for germ line stem cell self-renewal and appears to positively regulate translation. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:6507-19 pubmed publisher..These observations indicate that MILI may positively regulate translation and that such regulation is required for germ line stem cell self-renewal. ..
- Lazaris Karatzas A, Sonenberg N. The mRNA 5' cap-binding protein, eIF-4E, cooperates with v-myc or E1A in the transformation of primary rodent fibroblasts. Mol Cell Biol. 1992;12:1234-8 pubmed..The pattern of transformation by eIF-4E is similar to that of p21 Ras, raising the possibility that eIF-4E shares a common signal transduction pathway with p21 Ras. ..
- Mouaikel J, Narayanan U, Verheggen C, Matera A, Bertrand E, Tazi J, et al. Interaction between the small-nuclear-RNA cap hypermethylase and the spinal muscular atrophy protein, survival of motor neuron. EMBO Rep. 2003;4:616-22 pubmed..These data indicate that, in addition to its function in cytoplasmic Sm-core assembly, the SMN protein also functions in the recruitment of the snRNA cap hypermethylase. ..
- Wang Z, Kiledjian M. Functional link between the mammalian exosome and mRNA decapping. Cell. 2001;107:751-62 pubmed..These findings indicate that following deadenylation of mammal mRNA, degradation proceeds by a coupled 3' to 5' exoribonucleolytic activity and subsequent hydrolysis of the cap structure by a scavenger decapping activity. ..
- Kuhn J, Breton G, Schroeder J. mRNA metabolism of flowering-time regulators in wild-type Arabidopsis revealed by a nuclear cap binding protein mutant, abh1. Plant J. 2007;50:1049-62 pubmed