Genomes and Genes
u7 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein
Summary: This ribonucleoprotein particle, composed of U7 snRNA, Sm core protein, and U7 snRNP-specific proteins, is involved in the 3'end processing of histone premessenger RNAs.
- White A, Leslie M, Calvi B, Marzluff W, Duronio R. Developmental and cell cycle regulation of the Drosophila histone locus body. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:2491-502 pubmed..locus and enriched in histone pre-mRNA processing factors such as Lsm11, a core component of the U7 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein. Using MPM-2 and anti-Lsm11 antibodies, we demonstrate that the HLB is absent in the early embryo ..
- Stepanova I, Bogolyubov D, Skovorodkin I, Parfenov V. Cajal bodies and interchromatin granule clusters in cricket oocytes: composition, dynamics and interactions. Cell Biol Int. 2007;31:203-14 pubmed..We also suggest that the formation of complicated CBs is a result of interconnection between two different nuclear domains, CBs and IGCs. ..
- Marzluff W. Metazoan replication-dependent histone mRNAs: a distinct set of RNA polymerase II transcripts. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2005;17:274-80 pubmed..Recently several novel factors, including components of the U7 snRNP, as well as proteins involved in regulation of histone gene expression, have been described. ..
- Azzouz T, Pillai R, Däpp C, Chari A, Meister G, Kambach C, et al. Toward an assembly line for U7 snRNPs: interactions of U7-specific Lsm proteins with PRMT5 and SMN complexes. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:34435-40 pubmed..Furthermore, we present evidence for two separate binding sites in SMN for Sm/Lsm proteins. One recognizes Sm domains and the second one, the sDMA-modified RG-tails, which are present only in a subset of these proteins. ..
- Liu J, Murphy C, Buszczak M, Clatterbuck S, Goodman R, Gall J. The Drosophila melanogaster Cajal body. J Cell Biol. 2006;172:875-84 pubmed..melanogaster. The identification of these nuclear bodies now permits a broad range of questions to be asked about CB structure and function in a genetically tractable organism. ..
- Kolev N, Steitz J. In vivo assembly of functional U7 snRNP requires RNA backbone flexibility within the Sm-binding site. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2006;13:347-53 pubmedMost histone precursor mRNAs (pre-mRNAs) in metazoans are matured by 3'-end cleavage directed by the U7 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein (snRNP)...
- Yang X, Torres M, Marzluff W, Dominski Z. Three proteins of the U7-specific Sm ring function as the molecular ruler to determine the site of 3'-end processing in mammalian histone pre-mRNA. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:4045-56 pubmed publisher..These proteins likely rigidify the substrate and function as the molecular ruler in determining the site of cleavage. ..
- Dominski Z, Marzluff W. Formation of the 3' end of histone mRNA: getting closer to the end. Gene. 2007;396:373-90 pubmed..The greatest challenge that lies ahead is to determine how all these factors interact with each other to form a catalytically competent processing complex capable of cleaving histone pre-mRNAs. ..
- D vila L pez M, Samuelsson T. Early evolution of histone mRNA 3' end processing. RNA. 2008;14:1-10 pubmed publisher..These results provide further evidence that some histone genes are regulated at the level of 3' end processing to produce either polyadenylated RNAs or RNAs with the 3' end characteristic of replication-dependent histone mRNAs...
- Dominski Z, Marzluff W. Formation of the 3' end of histone mRNA. Gene. 1999;239:1-14 pubmed..One of the major regulatory events in the cell cycle is regulation of histone pre-mRNA processing, which is at least partially mediated by cell-cycle regulation of the levels of the SLBP protein. ..
- Yang X, Sullivan K, Marzluff W, Dominski Z. Studies of the 5' exonuclease and endonuclease activities of CPSF-73 in histone pre-mRNA processing. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:31-42 pubmed publisher..RNA interference experiments with HeLa cells indicate that degradation of the DCP does not depend on the Xrn2 5' exonuclease, suggesting that CPSF-73 degrades the DCP both in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Wagner E, Burch B, Godfrey A, Salzler H, Duronio R, Marzluff W. A genome-wide RNA interference screen reveals that variant histones are necessary for replication-dependent histone pre-mRNA processing. Mol Cell. 2007;28:692-9 pubmed
- Marzluff W. U2 snRNP: not just for poly(A) mRNAs. Mol Cell. 2007;28:353-4 pubmed..Friend et al. (2007) now report that the U2 snRNP, required for pre-mRNA splicing, is also required for histone mRNA 3' end formation. ..
- Dominski Z, Erkmann J, Greenland J, Marzluff W. Mutations in the RNA binding domain of stem-loop binding protein define separable requirements for RNA binding and for histone pre-mRNA processing. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:2008-17 pubmed..It is likely that the RBD of SLBP interacts directly with both the stem-loop RNA and other processing factor(s), most likely the U7 snRNP, to facilitate histone pre-mRNA processing. ..
- Wagner E, Ospina J, Hu Y, Dundr M, Matera A, Marzluff W. Conserved zinc fingers mediate multiple functions of ZFP100, a U7snRNP associated protein. RNA. 2006;12:1206-18 pubmed..Comparisons with other mammalian ZFP100 orthologs show that the central Zn fingers sufficient for in vivo activity are most highly conserved, whereas the number and sequence of the Zn fingers in the N- and C-terminal domains vary. ..
- Dominski Z, Yang X, Purdy M, Marzluff W. Differences and similarities between Drosophila and mammalian 3' end processing of histone pre-mRNAs. RNA. 2005;11:1835-47 pubmed
- Friend K, Lovejoy A, Steitz J. U2 snRNP binds intronless histone pre-mRNAs to facilitate U7-snRNP-dependent 3' end formation. Mol Cell. 2007;28:240-52 pubmed..Finally, we show that U2 snRNP associates with histone pre-mRNAs in vivo. We conclude that U2 snRNP plays a nonsplicing role in histone mRNA maturation. ..
- Liu J, Gall J. U bodies are cytoplasmic structures that contain uridine-rich small nuclear ribonucleoproteins and associate with P bodies. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:11655-9 pubmed..The identification of U bodies provides an opportunity to correlate specific biochemical steps of snRNP biogenesis with structural features of the cytoplasm. ..
- Schumperli D, Pillai R. The special Sm core structure of the U7 snRNP: far-reaching significance of a small nuclear ribonucleoprotein. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2004;61:2560-70 pubmedThe polypeptide composition of the U7 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein (snRNP) involved in histone messenger RNA (mRNA) 3' end formation has recently been elucidated...
- Azzouz T, Gruber A, Schumperli D. U7 snRNP-specific Lsm11 protein: dual binding contacts with the 100 kDa zinc finger processing factor (ZFP100) and a ZFP100-independent function in histone RNA 3' end processing. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:2106-17 pubmed..ZFP100) that forms a bridge between an RNA hairpin element upstream of the processing site and the U7 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein (snRNP)...