Genomes and Genes
u5 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein
Summary: A nuclear RNA-protein complex that plays a role in RNA processing. In the nucleoplasm, the U5 snRNP along with U4-U6 snRNP preassemble into a single 25S particle that binds to the U1 and U2 snRNPs and the substrate to form SPLICEOSOMES.
- Tarn W, Steitz J. A novel spliceosome containing U11, U12, and U5 snRNPs excises a minor class (AT-AC) intron in vitro. Cell. 1996;84:801-11 pubmed..Inhibition of P120 splicing by 2'-O-methyl oligonucleotides complementary to U12 or U5 demonstrates that U12 and U5 snRNPs perform essential roles in the AT-AC spliceosome. ..
- Kuhn A, Reichl E, Brow D. Distinct domains of splicing factor Prp8 mediate different aspects of spliceosome activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:9145-9 pubmed..Furthermore, additional genetic interactions with U4-cs1 support a two-state model for this RNA conformational switch and implicate another splicing factor, Prp31, in Prp8-mediated spliceosome activation. ..
- Bartels C, Klatt C, Luhrmann R, Fabrizio P. The ribosomal translocase homologue Snu114p is involved in unwinding U4/U6 RNA during activation of the spliceosome. EMBO Rep. 2002;3:875-80 pubmed..This suggests that Snu114p is involved, directly or indirectly, in the U4/U6 unwinding, an essential step towards spliceosome activation. ..
- Kuhn A, Brow D. Suppressors of a cold-sensitive mutation in yeast U4 RNA define five domains in the splicing factor Prp8 that influence spliceosome activation. Genetics. 2000;155:1667-82 pubmed
- Turner I, Norman C, Churcher M, Newman A. Roles of the U5 snRNP in spliceosome dynamics and catalysis. Biochem Soc Trans. 2004;32:928-31 pubmed..In the present review, we summarize our current understanding of the role played by the protein components of the U5 snRNP in pre-mRNA splicing, which include some of the largest and most highly conserved nuclear proteins. ..
- Brenner T, Guthrie C. Genetic analysis reveals a role for the C terminus of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae GTPase Snu114 during spliceosome activation. Genetics. 2005;170:1063-80 pubmed..We propose that GTP hydrolysis results in a rearrangement between Prp8 and the C terminus of Snu114 that leads to release of U1 and U4, thus activating the spliceosome for catalysis. ..
- Bellare P, Kutach A, Rines A, Guthrie C, Sontheimer E. Ubiquitin binding by a variant Jab1/MPN domain in the essential pre-mRNA splicing factor Prp8p. RNA. 2006;12:292-302 pubmed..Our results define a new UBD and suggest functional links between ubiquitin and the pre-mRNA splicing machinery. ..
- Stevens S, Abelson J. Purification of the yeast U4/U6.U5 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein particle and identification of its proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:7226-31 pubmed
- Achsel T, Ahrens K, Brahms H, Teigelkamp S, Luhrmann R. The human U5-220kD protein (hPrp8) forms a stable RNA-free complex with several U5-specific proteins, including an RNA unwindase, a homologue of ribosomal elongation factor EF-2, and a novel WD-40 protein. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:6756-66 pubmed..Since the 220kD protein is also known to contact both the pre-mRNA and the U5 snRNA, it is in a position to relay the functional state of the spliceosome to the other proteins in the complex and thus modulate their activity. ..
- Rappsilber J, Ajuh P, Lamond A, Mann M. SPF30 is an essential human splicing factor required for assembly of the U4/U5/U6 tri-small nuclear ribonucleoprotein into the spliceosome. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:31142-50 pubmed
- Query C, Konarska M. Suppression of multiple substrate mutations by spliceosomal prp8 alleles suggests functional correlations with ribosomal ambiguity mutants. Mol Cell. 2004;14:343-54 pubmed..This mechanistic commonality suggests that alteration of rearrangements represents an evolutionarily convenient way of modulating substrate selectivity. ..
- Makarova O, Makarov E, Liu S, Vornlocher H, Luhrmann R. Protein 61K, encoded by a gene (PRPF31) linked to autosomal dominant retinitis pigmentosa, is required for U4/U6*U5 tri-snRNP formation and pre-mRNA splicing. EMBO J. 2002;21:1148-57 pubmed..Thus, our studies suggest that disruptions in tri-snRNP formation and function resulting from mutations in the 61K protein may contribute to the manifestation of this disease. ..
- Malca H, Shomron N, Ast G. The U1 snRNP base pairs with the 5' splice site within a penta-snRNP complex. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:3442-55 pubmed..This fraction is functional in mRNA spliceosome assembly when supplemented with soluble nuclear proteins. The results argue that U1 can bind the 5' splice site in a mammalian preassembled penta-snRNP complex. ..
- Small E, Leggett S, Winans A, Staley J. The EF-G-like GTPase Snu114p regulates spliceosome dynamics mediated by Brr2p, a DExD/H box ATPase. Mol Cell. 2006;23:389-99 pubmed..We propose that Snu114p serves as a signal-dependent switch that transduces signals to Brr2p to control spliceosome dynamics. ..
- Laggerbauer B, Achsel T, Luhrmann R. The human U5-200kD DEXH-box protein unwinds U4/U6 RNA duplices in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:4188-92 pubmed..The RNA unwinding activity was found to reside exclusively with the U5-200kD DEXH-box protein. Our data raise the interesting possibility that this RNA helicase catalyzes unwinding of the U4/U6 RNA duplex in the spliceosome. ..
- Häcker I, Sander B, Golas M, Wolf E, Karagöz E, Kastner B, et al. Localization of Prp8, Brr2, Snu114 and U4/U6 proteins in the yeast tri-snRNP by electron microscopy. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2008;15:1206-12 pubmed publisher..The head and arm adopt variable relative positions. This molecular organization and dynamics suggest possible scenarios for structural events during catalytic activation. ..
- Newman A. The role of U5 snRNP in pre-mRNA splicing. EMBO J. 1997;16:5797-800 pubmedThe current model for the function of the U5 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein particle (snRNP) in the spliceosome proposes that U5 carries binding sites for the 5' and 3' exons, allowing the spliceosome to 'tether' the 5' exon intermediate ..
- Pena V, Liu S, Bujnicki J, Luhrmann R, Wahl M. Structure of a multipartite protein-protein interaction domain in splicing factor prp8 and its link to retinitis pigmentosa. Mol Cell. 2007;25:615-24 pubmed..We conclude that the expanded Prp8 Jab1/MPN domain represents a pseudoenzyme converted into a protein-protein interaction platform and that dysfunction of this platform underlies Retinitis pigmentosa. ..
- Boon K, Grainger R, Ehsani P, Barrass J, Auchynnikava T, Inglehearn C, et al. prp8 mutations that cause human retinitis pigmentosa lead to a U5 snRNP maturation defect in yeast. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2007;14:1077-83 pubmed..We therefore propose a novel assembly pathway for U5 snRNP complexes that is disrupted by mutations that cause human RP. ..
- Okano Y, Targoff I, Oddis C, Fujii T, Kuwana M, Tsuzaka K, et al. Anti-U5 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein (snRNP) antibodies: a rare anti-U snRNP specificity. Clin Immunol Immunopathol. 1996;81:41-7 pubmed..Thus, the specific proteins of the U5 snRNP are rare targets for autoantibodies in patients with connective tissue disease. ..
- Maeder C, Kutach A, Guthrie C. ATP-dependent unwinding of U4/U6 snRNAs by the Brr2 helicase requires the C terminus of Prp8. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2009;16:42-8 pubmed publisher..Because Brr2 activity must be restricted to prevent premature catalytic activation, our results have important implications for fidelity maintenance in the spliceosome. ..
- Zhao Y, Goto K, Saitoh M, Yanase T, Nomura M, Okabe T, et al. Activation function-1 domain of androgen receptor contributes to the interaction between subnuclear splicing factor compartment and nuclear receptor compartment. Identification of the p102 U5 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein particle-binding protein a. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:30031-9 pubmed..The ANT-1 sequence was identical to that of a protein that binds to U5 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein particle, a human homologue of yeast splicing factor Prp6p, involved in spliceosome...
- Bartels C, Urlaub H, Luhrmann R, Fabrizio P. Mutagenesis suggests several roles of Snu114p in pre-mRNA splicing. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:28324-34 pubmedSnu114p, a yeast U5 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein (snRNP) homologous to the ribosomal GTPase EF-2, was recently found to play a part in the dissociation of U4 small nuclear RNA (snRNA) from U6 snRNA...
- Lauber J, Fabrizio P, Teigelkamp S, Lane W, Hartmann E, Luhrmann R. The HeLa 200 kDa U5 snRNP-specific protein and its homologue in Saccharomyces cerevisiae are members of the DEXH-box protein family of putative RNA helicases. EMBO J. 1996;15:4001-15 pubmed..We propose that U5-200kD and Snu246p promote one or more conformational changes in the dynamic network of RNA-RNA interactions in the spliceosome. ..
- Boon K, Norman C, Grainger R, Newman A, Beggs J. Prp8p dissection reveals domain structure and protein interaction sites. RNA. 2006;12:198-205 pubmed..Thus, the U5 snRNP protein Snu114p associates with Prp8p in the region 437-770, whereas fragmenting Prp8p at residue 2173 destabilizes its association with Aar2p. ..
- Makarova O, Makarov E, Luhrmann R. The 65 and 110 kDa SR-related proteins of the U4/U6.U5 tri-snRNP are essential for the assembly of mature spliceosomes. EMBO J. 2001;20:2553-63 pubmed..Moreover, since both proteins contain an N-terminal RS domain, they could mediate the association of the tri-snRNP with pre-spliceosomes by interaction with members of the SR protein family. ..
- Pena V, Rozov A, Fabrizio P, Luhrmann R, Wahl M. Structure and function of an RNase H domain at the heart of the spliceosome. EMBO J. 2008;27:2929-40 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that Prp8 employs an RNase H domain to help assemble and stabilize the spliceosomal catalytic core, coordinate the activities of other splicing factors and possibly participate in chemical catalysis of splicing. ..
- Urushiyama S, Tani T, Ohshima Y. The prp1+ gene required for pre-mRNA splicing in Schizosaccharomyces pombe encodes a protein that contains TPR motifs and is similar to Prp6p of budding yeast. Genetics. 1997;147:101-15 pubmed..These results suggest that Prp1p/Zer1p is either directly or indirectly involved in cell cycle progression and/or poly(A)+ RNA nuclear export, in addition to pre-mRNA splicing. ..
- Vertegaal A, Ogg S, Jaffray E, Rodriguez M, Hay R, Andersen J, et al. A proteomic study of SUMO-2 target proteins. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:33791-8 pubmed..SART1 and heterogeneous nuclear RNP M were both shown to be genuine SUMO targets, confirming the validity of the approach. ..
- Lundgren K, Allan S, Urushiyama S, Tani T, Ohshima Y, Frendewey D, et al. A connection between pre-mRNA splicing and the cell cycle in fission yeast: cdc28+ is allelic with prp8+ and encodes an RNA-dependent ATPase/helicase. Mol Biol Cell. 1996;7:1083-94 pubmed..We have shown that cdc28 and prp8 are allelic. These results suggest a connection between pre-mRNA splicing and progression through the cell cycle. ..
- Aronova A, Bacikova D, Crotti L, Horowitz D, Schwer B. Functional interactions between Prp8, Prp18, Slu7, and U5 snRNA during the second step of pre-mRNA splicing. RNA. 2007;13:1437-44 pubmed
- Crotti L, Bacikova D, Horowitz D. The Prp18 protein stabilizes the interaction of both exons with the U5 snRNA during the second step of pre-mRNA splicing. Genes Dev. 2007;21:1204-16 pubmed..Our results show that As are preferred at the ends of both exons and support a revised model of the interactions of the exons with U5 in which the exons are arranged in a continuous double helix that facilitates the second reaction. ..
- Warkocki Z, Odenwälder P, Schmitzová J, Platzmann F, Stark H, Urlaub H, et al. Reconstitution of both steps of Saccharomyces cerevisiae splicing with purified spliceosomal components. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2009;16:1237-43 pubmed publisher..Remodeling by Prp2 was confirmed by negative stain EM and image processing. This system allows future mechanistic analyses of spliceosome activation and catalysis. ..
- Reuter K, Nottrott S, Fabrizio P, Luhrmann R, Ficner R. Identification, characterization and crystal structure analysis of the human spliceosomal U5 snRNP-specific 15 kD protein. J Mol Biol. 1999;294:515-25 pubmed..Our data suggest that the previously reported involvement of its Schizosaccharomyces pombe ortholog Dim1p in cell cycle regulation is a consequence of its essential role in pre-mRNA splicing. ..
- Stevens S, Barta I, Ge H, Moore R, Young M, Lee T, et al. Biochemical and genetic analyses of the U5, U6, and U4/U6 x U5 small nuclear ribonucleoproteins from Saccharomyces cerevisiae. RNA. 2001;7:1543-53 pubmed..We also show that, unlike the human tri-snRNP, the yeast tri-snRNP dissociated upon addition of ATP or dATP. ..
- Chung S, McLean M, Rymond B. Yeast ortholog of the Drosophila crooked neck protein promotes spliceosome assembly through stable U4/U6.U5 snRNP addition. RNA. 1999;5:1042-54 pubmed..Our results indicate that Clf1p acts as a scaffolding protein in spliceosome assembly and suggest that Clf1p may support the cross-intron bridge during the prespliceosome-to-spliceosome transition. ..
- Schaffert N, Hossbach M, Heintzmann R, Achsel T, Luhrmann R. RNAi knockdown of hPrp31 leads to an accumulation of U4/U6 di-snRNPs in Cajal bodies. EMBO J. 2004;23:3000-9 pubmed..In contrast, U5 snRNPs largely remain in nucleoplasmic speckles. Our data support the idea that CBs may play a role in tri-snRNP recycling. ..
- Elliott D, Bowman D, Abovich N, Fay F, Rosbash M. A yeast splicing factor is localized in discrete subnuclear domains. EMBO J. 1992;11:3731-6 pubmed..The observations indicate that some splicing components are located in discrete subregions of the yeast nucleus, similar to the situation described for the mammalian nucleus. ..
- Ben Yehuda S, Russell C, Dix I, Beggs J, Kupiec M. Extensive genetic interactions between PRP8 and PRP17/CDC40, two yeast genes involved in pre-mRNA splicing and cell cycle progression. Genetics. 2000;154:61-71 pubmed..On the basis of these findings, we propose a model for the mode of interaction between the Prp8 and Prp17 proteins during the second catalytic step of the splicing reaction. ..
- Deng X, Lu T, Wang L, Gu L, Sun J, Kong X, et al. Recruitment of the NineTeen Complex to the activated spliceosome requires AtPRMT5. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:5447-52 pubmed publisher..of pre-mRNA processing factor 8 gene (prp8-8 and prp8-9), the highly conserved core component of the U5 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein (snRNP) and the spliceosome...
- Xu D, Field D, Tang S, Moris A, Bobechko B, Friesen J. Synthetic lethality of yeast slt mutations with U2 small nuclear RNA mutations suggests functional interactions between U2 and U5 snRNPs that are important for both steps of pre-mRNA splicing. Mol Cell Biol. 1998;18:2055-66 pubmed..Our results suggest interactions among U2 snRNA, U5 snRNA, and Slt protein factors that may be responsible for coupling and coordination of the two reactions of pre-mRNA splicing. ..
- Zhang L, Xu T, Maeder C, Bud L, Shanks J, Nix J, et al. Structural evidence for consecutive Hel308-like modules in the spliceosomal ATPase Brr2. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2009;16:731-9 pubmed publisher..We further find that the C-terminal region of Prp8 (Prp8-CTR) facilitates the binding of the Brr2-Prp8-CTR complex to U4/U6. Our results have important implications for the mechanism and regulation of Brr2's activity in splicing. ..
- Gottschalk A, Neubauer G, Banroques J, Mann M, Luhrmann R, Fabrizio P. Identification by mass spectrometry and functional analysis of novel proteins of the yeast [U4/U6.U5] tri-snRNP. EMBO J. 1999;18:4535-48 pubmed..This suggests that these proteins, at least in part, are also present in a [U2.U4/U6.U5] tetra-snRNP complex. ..
- Zhu D, Zhao X, Liu C, Ma F, Wang F, Gao X, et al. Interaction between RNA helicase ROOT INITIATION DEFECTIVE 1 and GAMETOPHYTIC FACTOR 1 is involved in female gametophyte development in Arabidopsis. J Exp Bot. 2016;67:5757-5768 pubmed..with GAMETOPHYTIC FACTOR 1 (GFA1), which is an integral protein of the spliceosome component U5 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein (snRNP) particle...
- Bracken A, Bond U. Reassembly and protection of small nuclear ribonucleoprotein particles by heat shock proteins in yeast cells. RNA. 1999;5:1586-96 pubmed..In addition, our results show that Hsp70 plays a role in snRNP assembly under normal physiological conditions. ..
- Kulesza H, Simpson G, Waugh R, Beggs J, Brown J. Detection of a plant protein analogous to the yeast spliceosomal protein, PRP8. FEBS Lett. 1993;318:4-6 pubmed..The presence of this protein in plants, in addition to yeast, Drosophila and humans, and the conservation of large size and epitopes highlights the importance of PRP8 in pre-mRNA splicing. ..
- Grainger R, Barrass J, Jacquier A, Rain J, Beggs J. Physical and genetic interactions of yeast Cwc21p, an ortholog of human SRm300/SRRM2, suggest a role at the catalytic center of the spliceosome. RNA. 2009;15:2161-73 pubmed publisher..Thus, the function of Cwc21p is likely conserved from yeast to humans. ..
- Urlaub H, Raker V, Kostka S, Luhrmann R. Sm protein-Sm site RNA interactions within the inner ring of the spliceosomal snRNP core structure. EMBO J. 2001;20:187-96 pubmed..Our results thus provide the first evidence that, within the core snRNP, multiple Sm protein-Sm site RNA contacts occur on the inner surface of the heptameric Sm protein ring. ..
- Dagher S, Fu X. Evidence for a role of Sky1p-mediated phosphorylation in 3' splice site recognition involving both Prp8 and Prp17/Slu4. RNA. 2001;7:1284-97 pubmed..These results suggest for the first time that 3' AG recognition may be subject to phosphorylation regulation by Sky1p during pre-mRNA splicing. ..
- Satoh M, Reeves W. Induction of lupus-associated autoantibodies in BALB/c mice by intraperitoneal injection of pristane. J Exp Med. 1994;180:2341-6 pubmed
- Kuhn A, Li Z, Brow D. Splicing factor Prp8 governs U4/U6 RNA unwinding during activation of the spliceosome. Mol Cell. 1999;3:65-75 pubmed..We propose that wild-type Prp8 triggers unwinding of U4 and U6 RNAs only after structurally correct recognition of the 5' splice site by the U6 ACAGA box and that the mutation (prp8-201) relaxes control of unwinding. ..
- Xie J, Beickman K, Otte E, Rymond B. Progression through the spliceosome cycle requires Prp38p function for U4/U6 snRNA dissociation. EMBO J. 1998;17:2938-46 pubmed..Prp38p is the first tri-snRNP-specific protein shown to be dispensable for assembly, but required for conformational changes which lead to catalytic activation of the spliceosome. ..
- Tsai R, Tseng C, Lee P, Chen H, Fu R, Chang K, et al. Dynamic interactions of Ntr1-Ntr2 with Prp43 and with U5 govern the recruitment of Prp43 to mediate spliceosome disassembly. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:8027-37 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that dynamic interactions of NTR with U5, through the interaction of Ntr2 with Brr2, and interactions of Ntr1 and Prp43 govern the recruitment of Prp43 to the spliceosome to mediate spliceosome disassembly. ..
- Umen J, Guthrie C. Prp16p, Slu7p, and Prp8p interact with the 3' splice site in two distinct stages during the second catalytic step of pre-mRNA splicing. RNA. 1995;1:584-97 pubmed..Therefore, Prp8p and Slu7p interact with the 3' splice site at the latest stage of splicing prior to the second catalytic step that can currently be defined, and may be at the active site. ..
- Mikkelsen J, Lund A, Dybkaer K, Duch M, Pedersen F. Extended minus-strand DNA as template for R-U5-mediated second-strand transfer in recombinational rescue of primer binding site-modified retroviral vectors. J Virol. 1998;72:2519-25 pubmed..Mechanisms for R-U5-mediated second-strand transfer and its possible role in retrovirus replication and evolution are discussed. ..
- Frank D, Roiha H, Guthrie C. Architecture of the U5 small nuclear RNA. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:2180-90 pubmed..This domain must, therefore, contain all U5-specific sequences that are essential for splicing activity, including binding sites for U5-specific proteins. ..
- Plessel G, Luhrmann R, Kastner B. Electron microscopy of assembly intermediates of the snRNP core: morphological similarities between the RNA-free (E.F.G) protein heteromer and the intact snRNP core. J Mol Biol. 1997;265:87-94 pubmed
- Clark T, Sugnet C, Ares M. Genomewide analysis of mRNA processing in yeast using splicing-specific microarrays. Science. 2002;296:907-10 pubmed..Quantitative polymerase chain reactions confirm the array-based finding that Prp17p and Prp18p are not dispensable for removal of introns with short branchpoint-to-3' splice site distances. ..
- Oh Y, Shin C. Comparison of enzymatic activities of the HIV-1 and HFV integrases to their U5 LTR substrates. Biochem Mol Biol Int. 1999;47:621-9 pubmed..Our results suggest that the disintegration activity have more preference for substrates based on Y-shaped structure rather than on viral donor DNA sequence. ..
- Simeoni F, Arvai A, Bello P, Gondeau C, Hopfner K, Neyroz P, et al. Biochemical characterization and crystal structure of a Dim1 family associated protein: Dim2. Biochemistry. 2005;44:11997-2008 pubmed
- Butler M, Goodwin T, Poulter R. A nuclear-encoded intein in the fungal pathogen Cryptococcus neoformans. Yeast. 2001;18:1365-70 pubmed publisher..The Cne PRP8 intein may be a useful drug target in addressing the cryptococcal infections so prevalent in AIDS patients...
- Frazer L, Nancollis V, O Keefe R. The role of Snu114p during pre-mRNA splicing. Biochem Soc Trans. 2008;36:551-3 pubmed publisher..Snu114p plays a key role in spliceosome remodelling. In the present review, we briefly summarize the current knowledge of the function of Snu114p in pre-mRNA splicing and the role it plays in spliceosome dynamics. ..
- Roscigno R, Garcia Blanco M. SR proteins escort the U4/U6.U5 tri-snRNP to the spliceosome. RNA. 1995;1:692-706 pubmed..U5 tri-snRNP assembles on the pre-mRNA. The results shown here, together with previous data, suggest U snRNPs require SR proteins as escorts to enter the assembling spliceosome. ..
- Konarska M. Recognition of the 5' splice site by the spliceosome. Acta Biochim Pol. 1998;45:869-81 pubmed
- Bacikova D, Horowitz D. Genetic and functional interaction of evolutionarily conserved regions of the Prp18 protein and the U5 snRNA. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:2107-16 pubmed
- Brown V, Krynetski E, Krynetskaia N, Grieger D, Mukatira S, Murti K, et al. A novel CRM1-mediated nuclear export signal governs nuclear accumulation of glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase following genotoxic stress. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:5984-92 pubmed..Similar sequences (KKVV*7-13PLK) were found in two other human proteins, U5 small nuclear ribonucleoprotein, and transcription factor BT3.
- Dungan J, Watkins K, Agabian N. Evidence for the presence of a small U5-like RNA in active trans-spliceosomes of Trypanosoma brucei. EMBO J. 1996;15:4016-29 pubmed..The presence of a U5-like RNA in this ancient eukaryote establishes the universality of the spliceosomal RNA core components. ..
- Ast G, Weiner A. A U1/U4/U5 snRNP complex induced by a 2'-O-methyl-oligoribonucleotide complementary to U5 snRNA. Science. 1996;272:881-4 pubmed..The Ul/U4/U5 snRNP complex interacts specifically with an RNA oligonucleotide containing the 5' splice site sequence and may therefore represent a transitional stage in the displacement of U1 from the 5' splice site by U5 snRNP. ..
- Simeoni F, Divita G. The Dim protein family: from structure to splicing. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2007;64:2079-89 pubmed..This originality suggests that although both proteins are involved in pre-mRNA splicing, they are likely to be involved in different biological pathways. In the present article we review the structure and function of the Dim proteins. ..