Genomes and Genes
Summary: Proteins conjugated with nucleic acids.
- Levingston Macleod J, D Antuono A, Loureiro M, Casabona J, Gomez G, Lopez N. Identification of two functional domains within the arenavirus nucleoprotein. J Virol. 2011;85:2012-23 pubmed publisher..In this regard, using reciprocal coimmunoprecipitation analysis, we identified a 28-residue region predicted to form a coiled-coil domain (residues 92 to 119) as a newly recognized molecular determinant of N homotypic interactions...
- Bryant Z, Oberstrass F, Basu A. Recent developments in single-molecule DNA mechanics. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 2012;22:304-12 pubmed publisher..The new measurements have also been exploited in studies that hint at a developing synergistic relationship between single-molecule manipulation and structural DNA nanotechnology. ..
- Zhang Y, Ji Y, Jiang X, Xu S, Zhu Z, Zheng L, et al. Genetic characterization of measles viruses in China, 2004. Virol J. 2008;5:120 pubmed publisher..Multiple transmission pathways leaded to multiple lineages within endemic genotype. ..
- Sela D, Yaffe N, Shlomai J. Enzymatic mechanism controls redox-mediated protein-DNA interactions at the replication origin of kinetoplast DNA minicircles. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:32034-44 pubmed publisher..This mode of regulation may represent a regulatory mechanism, functioning as an enzyme-mediated, redox-based biological switch...
- Winardhi R, Fu W, Castang S, Li Y, Dove S, Yan J. Higher order oligomerization is required for H-NS family member MvaT to form gene-silencing nucleoprotein filament. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:8942-52 pubmed publisher..Recently, it was reported that H-NS from Escherichia coli can form rigid nucleoproteins filaments on DNA, which are important for their gene-silencing function...
- Ng A, Zhang H, Tan K, Li Z, Liu J, Chan P, et al. Structure of the influenza virus A H5N1 nucleoprotein: implications for RNA binding, oligomerization, and vaccine design. FASEB J. 2008;22:3638-47 pubmed publisher..Our study of H5N1 NP provides insight into the oligomerization interface and the RNA-binding groove, which are attractive drug targets, and it identifies the epitopes that might be used for universal vaccine development...
- Jurkowska R, Anspach N, Urbanke C, Jia D, Reinhardt R, Nellen W, et al. Formation of nucleoprotein filaments by mammalian DNA methyltransferase Dnmt3a in complex with regulator Dnmt3L. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008;36:6656-63 pubmed publisher..Scanning force microscopy demonstrates filament formation rather than binding of single tetramers and shows that protein-DNA filament formation leads to a 1.5-fold shortening of the DNA length. ..
- Bhattacharyya S, Hope T. Full-length Ebola glycoprotein accumulates in the endoplasmic reticulum. Virol J. 2011;8:11 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that full-length GP, but not GP?mucin, accumulates in the ER in close proximity to the nuclear membrane, which may underscore its cytotoxic property. ..
- Belle V, Rouger S, Costanzo S, Liquière E, Strancar J, Guigliarelli B, et al. Mapping alpha-helical induced folding within the intrinsically disordered C-terminal domain of the measles virus nucleoprotein by site-directed spin-labeling EPR spectroscopy. Proteins. 2008;73:973-88 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the restrained motion of the 505-522 region upon binding to XD is due to the alpha-helical transition occurring within the 488-502 region and not to a direct interaction with XD. ..
- Zhang Y, Ding Z, Wang H, Li L, Pang Y, Brown K, et al. New measles virus genotype associated with outbreak, China. Emerg Infect Dis. 2010;16:943-7 pubmed publisher..The new genotype designation will allow for better description of measles transmission patterns, especially in the Southeast Asian and Western Pacific regions. ..
- Rao S, Kong W, Wei C, Van Hoeven N, Gorres J, Nason M, et al. Comparative efficacy of hemagglutinin, nucleoprotein, and matrix 2 protein gene-based vaccination against H5N1 influenza in mouse and ferret. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e9812 pubmed publisher..These immunogens may require combinatorial vaccination with HA, which confers protection even against very high doses of lethal viral challenge. ..
- Riffault S, Meyer G, Deplanche M, Dubuquoy C, Durand G, Soulestin M, et al. A new subunit vaccine based on nucleoprotein nanoparticles confers partial clinical and virological protection in calves against bovine respiratory syncytial virus. Vaccine. 2010;28:3722-34 pubmed publisher..Vaccinated calves had lower viral loads than the non-vaccinated control calves. Thus N(SRS) vaccination in calves provided cross-protective immunity against BRSV infection without adverse inflammatory reaction. ..
- Kerber R, Rieger T, Busch C, Flatz L, Pinschewer D, Kummerer B, et al. Cross-species analysis of the replication complex of Old World arenaviruses reveals two nucleoprotein sites involved in L protein function. J Virol. 2011;85:12518-28 pubmed publisher..Residue 53 and the C-terminal domain of NP are important for function of L protein during genome replication and transcription. ..
- Ruigrok R, Crepin T, Kolakofsky D. Nucleoproteins and nucleocapsids of negative-strand RNA viruses. Curr Opin Microbiol. 2011;14:504-10 pubmed publisher..The mechanism by which this specific association occurs, for both the segmented (s) and non-segmented (ns) viruses, has recently become clearer due to our expanding knowledge of N protein and nucleocapsid structures. ..
- Martinez Sobrido L, Emonet S, Giannakas P, Cubitt B, Garcia Sastre A, de la Torre J. Identification of amino acid residues critical for the anti-interferon activity of the nucleoprotein of the prototypic arenavirus lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus. J Virol. 2009;83:11330-40 pubmed publisher..In addition, A549 cells infected with rLCMV/NP*(D382A), but not with WT LCMV, produced IFN and failed to rescue replication of the IFN-sensitive Newcastle disease virus. ..
- Takimoto K, Taharaguchi M, Morikawa S, Ike F, Yamada Y. Detection of the antibody to lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus in sera of laboratory rodents infected with viruses of laboratory and newly isolated strains by ELISA using purified recombinant nucleoprotein. Exp Anim. 2008;57:357-65 pubmed..In addition, by using negative control antigen in parallel with positive antigen in ELISA, we can exactly check the LCMV contamination in laboratory animals...
- Hastie K, Kimberlin C, Zandonatti M, Macrae I, Saphire E. Structure of the Lassa virus nucleoprotein reveals a dsRNA-specific 3' to 5' exonuclease activity essential for immune suppression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:2396-401 pubmed publisher..Thus, the nucleoprotein is a viral exonuclease with anti-immune activity, and this work provides a unique opportunity to combat arenaviral infections...
- Martinho M, Habchi J, El Habre Z, Nesme L, Guigliarelli B, Belle V, et al. Assessing induced folding within the intrinsically disordered C-terminal domain of the Henipavirus nucleoproteins by site-directed spin labeling EPR spectroscopy. J Biomol Struct Dyn. 2013;31:453-71 pubmed publisher..Altogether these results provide insights into the molecular mechanisms of the Henipavirus NTAIL-PXD binding reaction. ..
- Wang P, Song W, Mok B, Zhao P, Qin K, Lai A, et al. Nuclear factor 90 negatively regulates influenza virus replication by interacting with viral nucleoprotein. J Virol. 2009;83:7850-61 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that NF90 inhibits influenza virus replication during the early phase of infection through direct interaction with viral NP. ..
- Lim C, Lee S, Kenney L, Yan J. Nucleoprotein filament formation is the structural basis for bacterial protein H-NS gene silencing. Sci Rep. 2012;2:509 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that the H-NS nucleoprotein filament is crucial for its gene silencing function, and serves as the fundamental structural basis for gene silencing by H-NS and likely other H-NS-like bacterial proteins. ..
- Guo L, Zheng M, Ding Y, Li D, Yang Z, Wang H, et al. Protection against multiple influenza A virus subtypes by intranasal administration of recombinant nucleoprotein. Arch Virol. 2010;155:1765-75 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that such a vaccine administered intranasally can induce mucosal and cell-mediated immunity, thus having the potential to control epidemics caused by new emerging influenza viruses. ..
- Rodrigo W, Ortiz Riaño E, Pythoud C, Kunz S, de la Torre J, Martinez Sobrido L. Arenavirus nucleoproteins prevent activation of nuclear factor kappa B. J Virol. 2012;86:8185-97 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our findings demonstrate that arenavirus infection inhibits NF-?B-dependent innate immune and inflammatory responses, possibly playing a key role in the pathogenesis and virulence of arenavirus. ..
- Zhou D, Wu T, Lasaro M, Latimer B, Parzych E, Bian A, et al. A universal influenza A vaccine based on adenovirus expressing matrix-2 ectodomain and nucleoprotein protects mice from lethal challenge. Mol Ther. 2010;18:2182-9 pubmed publisher..Most importantly, vaccinated mice are protected against morbidity and mortality following challenge with high doses of different influenza virus strains. Protection requires both antibodies to M2e and cellular immune responses to NP. ..
- Hung H, Liu C, Hsu J, Horng J, Fang M, Wu S, et al. Development of an anti-influenza drug screening assay targeting nucleoproteins with tryptophan fluorescence quenching. Anal Chem. 2012;84:6391-9 pubmed publisher..This convenient method for drug screening may facilitate the development of antiviral drugs that target viruses other than the influenza virus, such as HIV and HBV. ..
- Shtanko O, Imai M, Goto H, Lukashevich I, Neumann G, Watanabe T, et al. A role for the C terminus of Mopeia virus nucleoprotein in its incorporation into Z protein-induced virus-like particles. J Virol. 2010;84:5415-22 pubmed publisher..By employing a series of NP deletion constructs and testing their VLP incorporation, we further demonstrated an important role for the C-terminal half of NP in its incorporation into VLPs...
- Noda T, Hagiwara K, Sagara H, Kawaoka Y. Characterization of the Ebola virus nucleoprotein-RNA complex. J Gen Virol. 2010;91:1478-83 pubmed publisher..These findings enhance our knowledge of Ebola virus assembly and understanding of the Ebola virus life cycle...
- Zhou S, Cerny A, Zacharia A, Fitzgerald K, Kurt Jones E, Finberg R. Induction and inhibition of type I interferon responses by distinct components of lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus. J Virol. 2010;84:9452-62 pubmed publisher..These virus-host interactions may play important roles in the pathogeneses of LCMV and other human arenavirus diseases. ..
- Yang Y, Zhao P, Zhang T, Wang H, Liang H, Zhao L, et al. Small interfering RNAs targeting the rabies virus nucleoprotein gene. Virus Res. 2012;169:169-74 pubmed publisher..These siRNAs have the potential to be developed into new and effective prophylactic anti-RABV drugs...
- Ogawa H, Miyamoto H, Ebihara H, Ito K, Morikawa S, Feldmann H, et al. Detection of all known filovirus species by reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction using a primer set specific for the viral nucleoprotein gene. J Virol Methods. 2011;171:310-3 pubmed publisher..This assay will be a useful method for diagnostics and epidemiological studies of filovirus infections. ..
- Hoenen T, Jung S, Herwig A, Groseth A, Becker S. Both matrix proteins of Ebola virus contribute to the regulation of viral genome replication and transcription. Virology. 2010;403:56-66 pubmed publisher..Further, we show for the first time that VP40 is also involved in regulating these processes. These functions are conserved among EBOV species and, in the case of VP40, independent of its budding or RNA-binding functions. ..
- Martinez A, Schuettengruber B, Sakr S, Janic A, Gonzalez C, Cavalli G. Polyhomeotic has a tumor suppressor activity mediated by repression of Notch signaling. Nat Genet. 2009;41:1076-82 pubmed publisher..These data show that ph is a tumor suppressor locus that controls cellular proliferation by silencing multiple Notch signaling components. ..
- Di Re M, Sembongi H, He J, Reyes A, Yasukawa T, Martinsson P, et al. The accessory subunit of mitochondrial DNA polymerase gamma determines the DNA content of mitochondrial nucleoids in human cultured cells. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:5701-13 pubmed publisher..These findings support the view that the mitochondrial D-loop acts as a protein recruitment centre, and suggest POLGbeta is a key factor in the organization of mitochondrial DNA in multigenomic nucleoprotein complexes. ..
- Nadin Davis S, Sheen M, Wandeler A. Development of real-time reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction methods for human rabies diagnosis. J Med Virol. 2009;81:1484-97 pubmed publisher..However in this case it would appear that reduction of the viral load in the patient's saliva over time did not appear to correlate well with clearance of viral components from the brain. ..
- Kao R, Yang D, Lau L, Tsui W, Hu L, Dai J, et al. Identification of influenza A nucleoprotein as an antiviral target. Nat Biotechnol. 2010;28:600-5 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that viral NP is a valid target for the development of small-molecule therapies. ..
- Lantez V, Dalle K, Charrel R, Baronti C, Canard B, Coutard B. Comparative production analysis of three phlebovirus nucleoproteins under denaturing or non-denaturing conditions for crystallographic studies. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2011;5:e936 pubmed publisherb>Nucleoproteins (NPs) encapsidate the Phlebovirus genomic (-)RNA. Upon recombinant expression, NPs tend to form heterogeneous oligomers impeding characterization of the encapsidation process through crystallographic studies...
- Lee L, Ha D, Simmons C, de Jong M, Chau N, Schumacher R, et al. Memory T cells established by seasonal human influenza A infection cross-react with avian influenza A (H5N1) in healthy individuals. J Clin Invest. 2008;118:3478-90 pubmed publisher..Thus, vaccine formulas inducing heterosubtypic T cell-mediated immunity may confer broad protection against avian and human influenza A viruses. ..
- Chen M, Cortay J, Logan I, Sapountzi V, Robson C, Gerlier D. Inhibition of ubiquitination and stabilization of human ubiquitin E3 ligase PIRH2 by measles virus phosphoprotein. J Virol. 2005;79:11824-36 pubmed..Thus, MV P protein is the first protein from a pathogen that is able to specifically interact with and stabilize the ubiquitin E3 ligase hPIRH2 by preventing its ubiquitination. ..
- Hoelscher M, Singh N, Garg S, Jayashankar L, Veguilla V, Pandey A, et al. A broadly protective vaccine against globally dispersed clade 1 and clade 2 H5N1 influenza viruses. J Infect Dis. 2008;197:1185-8 pubmed publisher..We developed an adenoviral vector-based vaccine that contains hemagglutinin protein from clade 1 and clade 2 viruses, as well as conserved nucleoprotein, to broaden the vaccine coverage against H5N1 viruses. ..
- Paez A, Velasco Villa A, Rey G, Rupprecht C. Molecular epidemiology of rabies in Colombia 1994-2005 based on partial nucleoprotein gene sequences. Virus Res. 2007;130:172-81 pubmed..Our data were consistent with previous studies in which partial Psi, G and L gene sequences were analyzed. Our results confirmed the existence of RABV of unclassified AV in Colombia. ..
- Wu W, Sun Y, Pante N. Nuclear import of influenza A viral ribonucleoprotein complexes is mediated by two nuclear localization sequences on viral nucleoprotein. Virol J. 2007;4:49 pubmed..Antibody inhibition studies further showed that NLS1 on NP is the main contributor to the nuclear import of vRNPs. Our results demonstrate that both NLS1 and NLS2 on NP can mediate the nuclear uptake of influenza A vRNPs. ..
- He J, Mao C, Reyes A, Sembongi H, Di Re M, Granycome C, et al. The AAA+ protein ATAD3 has displacement loop binding properties and is involved in mitochondrial nucleoid organization. J Cell Biol. 2007;176:141-6 pubmed..These results suggest that mitochondrial D-loops serve to recruit ATAD3p for the purpose of forming or segregating mitochondrial nucleoids. ..
- Saha S, Yoshida S, Ohba K, Matsui K, Matsuda T, Takeshita F, et al. A fused gene of nucleoprotein (NP) and herpes simplex virus genes (VP22) induces highly protective immunity against different subtypes of influenza virus. Virology. 2006;354:48-57 pubmed..These results indicate that a plasmid DNA vaccine encoding pVP22 plus NP induces a high level of cross-protective immunity against influenza virus subtypes. ..
- ..These data suggest that VP40 may interact with cellular actin, and that actin may play a role in assembly and/or budding of Ebola VLPs...
- Luo M, Green T, Zhang X, Tsao J, Qiu S. Structural comparisons of the nucleoprotein from three negative strand RNA virus families. Virol J. 2007;4:72 pubmed..Two helices connecting the two domains characterize the center of the cavity. The nucleoproteins contain at least 5 conserved helices in the N-terminal domain and 3 conserved helices in the C-terminal domain...