Genomes and Genes
Summary: A large protein complex which acts as a signaling adaptor protein that allows communication between the various regulatory and functional components of GENETIC TRANSCRIPTION including DNA POLYMERASE II; GENERAL TRANSCRIPTION FACTORS; and TRANSCRIPTION FACTORS that are bound to upstream ENHANCER ELEMENTS. The mediator complex was originally studied in YEAST where at least 21 subunits were identified. Many of the yeast subunits are homologs to proteins in higher organisms that are found associated with specific nuclear receptors such as THYROID HORMONE RECEPTORS and VITAMIN D RECEPTORS.
- Chereji R, Bharatula V, Elfving N, Blomberg J, Larsson M, Morozov A, et al. Mediator binds to boundaries of chromosomal interaction domains and to proteins involved in DNA looping, RNA metabolism, chromatin remodeling, and actin assembly. Nucleic Acids Res. 2017;45:8806-8821 pubmed publisher..This suggests that Mediator plays a significant role in higher-order genome organization. ..
- Currie S, Doane J, Evans K, Bhachech N, Madison B, Lau D, et al. ETV4 and AP1 Transcription Factors Form Multivalent Interactions with three Sites on the MED25 Activator-Interacting Domain. J Mol Biol. 2017;429:2975-2995 pubmed publisher..In summary, we describe features of the multivalent ETV4- and AP1-MED25 interactions, thereby implicating these factors in the recruitment of MED25 to transcriptional control elements. ..
- Murakami S, Nagari A, Kraus W. Dynamic assembly and activation of estrogen receptor ? enhancers through coregulator switching. Genes Dev. 2017;31:1535-1548 pubmed publisher..More broadly, our results demonstrate the unexpectedly dynamic nature of coregulator interactions within enhancer complexes, which are likely to be a defining feature of all enhancers. ..
- Lens Z, Cantrelle F, Peruzzini R, Hanoulle X, DeWitte F, Ferreira E, et al. Solution Structure of the N-Terminal Domain of Mediator Subunit MED26 and Molecular Characterization of Its Interaction with EAF1 and TAF7. J Mol Biol. 2017;429:3043-3055 pubmed publisher..This study provides molecular detail that will help to decipher the mechanistic basis for the initiation to elongation switch-function mediated by MED26-NTD. ..
- Syring I, Weiten R, Muller T, Schmidt D, Steiner S, Kristiansen G, et al. The Contrasting Role of the Mediator Subunit MED30 in the Progression of Bladder Cancer. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:6685-6695 pubmedThe Mediator complex is a key regulator of gene transcription, and several studies have demonstrated altered expression of particular subunits in diverse human diseases, especially cancer...
- Fallath T, Kidd B, Stiller J, Davoine C, Bjorklund S, Manners J, et al. MEDIATOR18 and MEDIATOR20 confer susceptibility to Fusarium oxysporum in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0176022 pubmed publisher..We propose that MED18 and MED20 form a sub-domain within Mediator that controls the balance of salicylic acid and jasmonate associated defense pathways. ..
- Malik N, Agarwal P, Tyagi A. Emerging functions of multi-protein complex Mediator with special emphasis on plants. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol. 2017;52:475-502 pubmed publisher..Thus, plant Mediator, like yeast and mammalian Mediator complex, is indispensable for plant growth and survival...