Genomes and Genes
Summary: Proteins found in the nucleus of a cell. Do not confuse with NUCLEOPROTEINS which are proteins conjugated with nucleic acids, that are not necessarily present in the nucleus.
- Tamura K, Iwabuchi K, Fukao Y, Kondo M, Okamoto K, Ueda H, et al. Myosin XI-i links the nuclear membrane to the cytoskeleton to control nuclear movement and shape in Arabidopsis. Curr Biol. 2013;23:1776-81 pubmed publisher..A deficiency of either myosin XI-i or WIT proteins diminished dark-induced nuclear positioning. The unique nucleocytoplasmic linkage in plants might enable rapid nuclear positioning in response to environmental stimuli...
- Choi S, Bakkenist C. Brd4 shields chromatin from ATM kinase signaling storms. Sci Signal. 2013;6:pe30 pubmed publisher..Recent work by Kaidi and Jackson and Floyd et al. advance our knowledge of the mechanisms that initiate or limit ATM kinase signaling storms at chromatin. ..
- Antoniou A, Casadei S, Heikkinen T, Barrowdale D, Pylkäs K, Roberts J, et al. Breast-cancer risk in families with mutations in PALB2. N Engl J Med. 2014;371:497-506 pubmed publisher..Germline loss-of-function mutations in PALB2 are known to confer a predisposition to breast cancer. However, the lifetime risk of breast cancer that is conferred by such mutations remains unknown...
- Terai K, Shibata E, Abbas T, Dutta A. Degradation of p12 subunit by CRL4Cdt2 E3 ligase inhibits fork progression after DNA damage. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:30509-14 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that ubiquitination of p12 through CRL4(Cdt2) and subsequent degradation form one mechanism by which a cell responds to DNA damage to inhibit fork progression. ..
- Jentsch S, Psakhye I. Control of nuclear activities by substrate-selective and protein-group SUMOylation. Annu Rev Genet. 2013;47:167-86 pubmed publisher..We propose that collective SUMOylation is typical for nuclear assemblies and argue that SUMO serves as a distinguishing mark for functionally engaged protein fractions. ..
- Zhu X, He F, Zeng H, Ling S, Chen A, Wang Y, et al. Identification of functional cooperative mutations of SETD2 in human acute leukemia. Nat Genet. 2014;46:287-93 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our study provides compelling evidence for SETD2 as a new tumor suppressor. Disruption of the SETD2-H3K36me3 pathway is a distinct epigenetic mechanism for leukemia development. ..
- Back R, Dominguez C, Rothé B, Bobo C, Beaufils C, Morera S, et al. High-resolution structural analysis shows how Tah1 tethers Hsp90 to the R2TP complex. Structure. 2013;21:1834-47 pubmed publisher..The Tah1 C-terminal region is unfolded, and we demonstrate that it is essential for the recruitment of the Pih1 C-terminal domain and folds upon binding...
- De Rijck J, de Kogel C, Demeulemeester J, Vets S, El Ashkar S, Malani N, et al. The BET family of proteins targets moloney murine leukemia virus integration near transcription start sites. Cell Rep. 2013;5:886-94 pubmed publisher..Together, these data validate BET proteins as MLV integration targeting factors. ..
- Lezina L, Purmessur N, Antonov A, Ivanova T, Karpova E, Krishan K, et al. miR-16 and miR-26a target checkpoint kinases Wee1 and Chk1 in response to p53 activation by genotoxic stress. Cell Death Dis. 2013;4:e953 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data provide a novel mechanism whereby p53 represses Chk1 and Wee1 expression, at least partially, via upregulation of miR-16 and miR-26a and thus sensitizes tumour cells to genotoxic therapies. ..
- Miller J, Ganat Y, Kishinevsky S, Bowman R, Liu B, Tu E, et al. Human iPSC-based modeling of late-onset disease via progerin-induced aging. Cell Stem Cell. 2013;13:691-705 pubmed publisher..Thus, our study suggests that progerin-induced aging can be used to reveal late-onset age-related disease features in hiPSC-based disease models. ..
- Andersen P, Domanski M, Kristiansen M, Storvall H, Ntini E, Verheggen C, et al. The human cap-binding complex is functionally connected to the nuclear RNA exosome. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013;20:1367-76 pubmed publisher..Specifically, CBCA suppresses read-through products of several RNA families by promoting their transcriptional termination. We suggest that the RNP 5' cap links transcription termination to exosomal RNA degradation through CBCN. ..
- Watanabe S, Watanabe K, Akimov V, Bartkova J, Blagoev B, Lukas J, et al. JMJD1C demethylates MDC1 to regulate the RNF8 and BRCA1-mediated chromatin response to DNA breaks. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013;20:1425-33 pubmed publisher..These findings identify JMJD1C as a DDR component, with implications for genome-integrity maintenance, tumorigenesis and cancer treatment. ..
- Wang J, Chen J, Gong Z. TopBP1 controls BLM protein level to maintain genome stability. Mol Cell. 2013;52:667-78 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these data suggest that, although BLM is downregulated in G1 phase in order to promote NHEJ-mediated DNA repair, it is stabilized by TopBP1 in S phase cells in order to suppress SCE and thereby prevent genomic instability...
- Wier A, Mayekar M, Heroux A, Arndt K, VanDemark A. Structural basis for Spt5-mediated recruitment of the Paf1 complex to chromatin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:17290-5 pubmed publisher..The structure reveals the basis for recognition of the repeat motif of Spt5, a key player in the recruitment of gene regulatory factors to RNA polymerase II. ..
- Horn H, Kim D, Wright G, Wong E, Stewart C, Burke B, et al. A mammalian KASH domain protein coupling meiotic chromosomes to the cytoskeleton. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:1023-39 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that telomere attachment to the NE is insufficient to promote pairing and that telomere attachment sites must be coupled to cytoplasmic dynein and the microtubule system to ensure meiotic progression...
- Jung M, Philpott M, MÃ¼ller S, Schulze J, Badock V, EberspÃ¤cher U, et al. Affinity map of bromodomain protein 4 (BRD4) interactions with the histone H4 tail and the small molecule inhibitor JQ1. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:9304-19 pubmed publisher..Our study extends the knowledge on the contribution of individual BRD4 amino acids to histone and JQ1 binding and may help in the design of new BET antagonists with improved pharmacological properties. ..
- Tessarz P, Santos Rosa H, Robson S, Sylvestersen K, Nelson C, Nielsen M, et al. Glutamine methylation in histone H2A is an RNA-polymerase-I-dedicated modification. Nature. 2014;505:564-8 pubmed publisher..Together these data identify glutamine methylation of H2A as the first histone epigenetic mark dedicated to a specific RNA polymerase and define its function as a regulator of FACT interaction with nucleosomes. ..
- Seitan V, Faure A, Zhan Y, McCord R, Lajoie B, Ing Simmons E, et al. Cohesin-based chromatin interactions enable regulated gene expression within preexisting architectural compartments. Genome Res. 2013;23:2066-77 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that cohesin-mediated long-range interactions facilitate discrete gene expression states within preexisting chromosomal compartments. ..
- Jiao Y, Pawlik T, Anders R, Selaru F, Streppel M, Lucas D, et al. Exome sequencing identifies frequent inactivating mutations in BAP1, ARID1A and PBRM1 in intrahepatic cholangiocarcinomas. Nat Genet. 2013;45:1470-1473 pubmed publisher..In contrast, TP53 was the most frequently altered gene in a series of nine gallbladder carcinomas. These discoveries highlight the key role of dysregulated chromatin remodeling in intrahepatic cholangiocarcinomas. ..
- Grabarz A, Guirouilh Barbat J, Barascu A, Pennarun G, Genet D, Rass E, et al. A role for BLM in double-strand break repair pathway choice: prevention of CtIP/Mre11-mediated alternative nonhomologous end-joining. Cell Rep. 2013;5:21-8 pubmed publisher..These antagonist roles can be regulated, according to cell-cycle stage, by interacting partners such as 53BP1 and TopIII, to avoid unscheduled resection that might jeopardize genome integrity. ..
- Shimamura T, Chen Z, Soucheray M, Carretero J, Kikuchi E, Tchaicha J, et al. Efficacy of BET bromodomain inhibition in Kras-mutant non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2013;19:6183-92 pubmed publisher..Clinical studies of BET bromodomain inhibitors in aggressive NSCLC will be actively pursued. Clin Cancer Res; 19(22); 6183-92. ©2013 AACR. ..
- Carney T, Struck A, Doe C. midlife crisis encodes a conserved zinc-finger protein required to maintain neuronal differentiation in Drosophila. Development. 2013;140:4155-64 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Mdlc plays an essential role in maintaining neuronal differentiation, raising the possibility that RNF113A regulates neuronal differentiation in the human CNS. ..
- Mouaikel J, Causse S, Rougemaille M, Daubenton Carafa Y, Blugeon C, Lemoine S, et al. High-frequency promoter firing links THO complex function to heavy chromatin formation. Cell Rep. 2013;5:1082-94 pubmed publisher..We propose that the THO complex is required for tuning the dynamic of gene-nuclear pore association and mRNP release to the same high pace of transcription initiation. ..
- Gupta S, Maetzig T, Maertens G, Sharif A, Rothe M, Weidner Glunde M, et al. Bromo- and extraterminal domain chromatin regulators serve as cofactors for murine leukemia virus integration. J Virol. 2013;87:12721-36 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that BET proteins might act as chromatin-bound acceptors for the MLV preintegration complex. These results could pave a way to redirecting MLV DNA integration as a basis for creating safer retroviral vectors. ..
- Asangani I, Dommeti V, Wang X, Malik R, Cieslik M, Yang R, et al. Therapeutic targeting of BET bromodomain proteins in castration-resistant prostate cancer. Nature. 2014;510:278-82 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these studies provide a novel epigenetic approach for the concerted blockade of oncogenic drivers in advanced prostate cancer. ..
- Wang Y, Chen S, Karnezis A, Colborne S, Santos N, Lang J, et al. The histone methyltransferase EZH2 is a therapeutic target in small cell carcinoma of the ovary, hypercalcaemic type. J Pathol. 2017;242:371-383 pubmed publisher..Copyright © 2017 Pathological Society of Great Britain and Ireland. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. ..
- Tan S, Shan Y, Wang Y, Lin Y, Liao S, Deng Z, et al. Exacerbation of oxygen-glucose deprivation-induced blood-brain barrier disruption: potential pathogenic role of interleukin-9 in ischemic stroke. Clin Sci (Lond). 2017;131:1499-1513 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that IL-9 has a destructive effect on the BBB following OGD, at least in part by inducing eNOS production, and raise the possibility of targetting IL-9 for therapeutic intervention in IS. ..
- Jiang J, Chang W, Fu Y, Gao Y, Zhao C, Zhang X, et al. SAV1 represses the development of human colorectal cancer by regulating the Akt-mTOR pathway in a YAP-dependent manner. Cell Prolif. 2017;50: pubmed publisher..SAV1 is a repressor during the development of human colorectal cancer by inhibiting the YAP-Akt-mTOR signalling pathway. ..
- Errichiello E, Mustafa N, Vetro A, Notarangelo L, De Jonge H, Rinaldi B, et al. SMARCA4 inactivating mutations cause concomitant Coffin-Siris syndrome, microphthalmia and small-cell carcinoma of the ovary hypercalcaemic type. J Pathol. 2017;243:9-15 pubmed publisher..2017 The Authors. The Journal of Pathology published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of Pathological Society of Great Britain and Ireland. ..
- Sharma R, Shafer M, Bareke E, Tremblay M, Majewski J, Bouchard M. Bmp signaling maintains a mesoderm progenitor cell state in the mouse tailbud. Development. 2017;144:2982-2993 pubmed publisher..Together, these results identify Bmp signaling as a non-cell-autonomous signal necessary for mesoderm progenitor cell homeostasis. ..
- Kim S, Kim J, Kim Y, Kim J, Park S. Nutritional regulation of renal lipogenic factor expression in mice: comparison to regulation in the liver and skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2017;313:F887-F898 pubmed publisher..LXR is involved in the renal expression of lipogenic enzymes, and ChREBP may mediate the response. ..
- Sato E, Zhang L, Dorschner R, Adase C, Choudhury B, Gallo R. Activation of Parathyroid Hormone 2 Receptor Induces Decorin Expression and Promotes Wound Repair. J Invest Dermatol. 2017;137:1774-1783 pubmed publisher..Thus, the TIP39-PTH2R system appears to be a previously unrecognized mechanism for regulation of extracellular matrix formation and wound repair. ..
- Yigit N, Suarez L, Roth L, Orazi A, Tam W. CD4-Negative Variant of Cutaneous Blastic Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cell Neoplasm With a Novel PBRM1 Mutation in an 11-Year-Old Girl. Am J Clin Pathol. 2017;147:453-460 pubmed publisher..PBRM1 mutation seems to be a driver event in this case. Our study underscores the importance of alterations in chromatin remodeling in the pathogenesis of BPDCN. ..
- Ashley C, Glass M, Abendroth A, McSharry B, Slobedman B. Nuclear domain 10 components upregulated via interferon during human cytomegalovirus infection potently regulate viral infection. J Gen Virol. 2017;98:1795-1805 pubmed publisher..This ability of HCMV to overcome the potently anti-viral effects of IFN-? in ND10 expression deficient cells provides evidence that ND10 component upregulation is a key mediator of the anti-viral activity of IFN-?. ..
- Kallen J, Izaac A, Bé C, Arista L, Orain D, Kaupmann K, et al. Structural States of ROR?t: X-ray Elucidation of Molecular Mechanisms and Binding Interactions for Natural and Synthetic Compounds. ChemMedChem. 2017;12:1014-1021 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these new mechanistic insights should prove useful for the design and optimization of further ROR?t modulators. ..
- Ilik I, Maticzka D, Georgiev P, Gutierrez N, Backofen R, Akhtar A. A mutually exclusive stem-loop arrangement in roX2 RNA is essential for X-chromosome regulation in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2017;31:1973-1987 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose that roX2 lncRNA contains an MLE-dependent affinity switch to enable reversible interactions of the MSL complex to allow dosage compensation of the X chromosome...
- Satkunanathan S, Thorpe R, Zhao Y. The function of DNA binding protein nucleophosmin in AAV replication. Virology. 2017;510:46-54 pubmed publisher..Understanding the role of cellular proteins in the AAV life cycle will greatly facilitate high titre production of AAV vectors for clinical use. ..
- Benabou S, Aviñó A, Lyonnais S, Gonzalez C, Eritja R, de Juan A, et al. i-motif structures in long cytosine-rich sequences found upstream of the promoter region of the SMARCA4 gene. Biochimie. 2017;140:20-33 pubmed publisher..This finding opens the door to the study of the interaction of these kind of i-motif structures with stabilizing ligands or proteins. ..
- Petrini S, Borghi R, D Oria V, Restaldi F, Moreno S, Novelli A, et al. Aged induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSCs) as a new cellular model for studying premature aging. Aging (Albany NY). 2017;9:1453-1469 pubmed publisher..These findings validate the use of aged iPSCs as a suitable cellular model to study senescence and for investigating therapeutic strategies aimed to treat premature aging. ..
- Tsai C, Anderson A, Burra S, Jo J, Galko M. Yorkie regulates epidermal wound healing in Drosophila larvae independently of cell proliferation and apoptosis. Dev Biol. 2017;427:61-71 pubmed publisher..In sum, we found that Yki regulates an epithelial tissue repair process independently of its previously documented roles in balancing proliferation and apoptosis. ..
- Chang H, Lin Z, Wu M, Wang L, Chow Y, Jiang S, et al. Characterization of a transgenic mouse model exhibiting spontaneous lung adenocarcinomas with a metastatic phenotype. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175586 pubmed publisher..In addition, it can also be a valuable tool for biomarkers and drug screening, which will be helpful in developing intervention therapies. ..
- Geng C, Kaochar S, Li M, Rajapakshe K, Fiskus W, Dong J, et al. SPOP regulates prostate epithelial cell proliferation and promotes ubiquitination and turnover of c-MYC oncoprotein. Oncogene. 2017;36:4767-4777 pubmed publisher..We propose SPOPMT-induced stabilization of c-MYC protein as a novel mechanism that can increase total c-MYC levels in PC cells, in addition to amplification of c-MYC locus. ..
- Chen Q, Rong P, Xu D, Zhu S, Chen L, Xie B, et al. Rab8a Deficiency in Skeletal Muscle Causes Hyperlipidemia and Hepatosteatosis by Impairing Muscle Lipid Uptake and Storage. Diabetes. 2017;66:2387-2399 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate the significance of lipid uptake and storage in muscle in regulating whole-body lipid homeostasis, and they shed light on the roles of skeletal muscle in the pathogenesis of hyperlipidemia and hepatosteatosis. ..
- Cardoso M, Fontenele M, Lim B, Bisch P, Shvartsman S, Araújo H. A novel function for the I?B inhibitor Cactus in promoting Dorsal nuclear localization and activity in the Drosophila embryo. Development. 2017;144:2907-2913 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Cactus acts to bolster Dorsal activation, in addition to its role as a NF?B inhibitor, ensuring a correct response to Toll signals. ..
- Igoe N, Bayle E, Tallant C, Fedorov O, Meier J, Savitsky P, et al. Design of a Chemical Probe for the Bromodomain and Plant Homeodomain Finger-Containing (BRPF) Family of Proteins. J Med Chem. 2017;60:6998-7011 pubmed publisher..Pharmacokinetic data for 16 was generated in mouse with single dose administration showing favorable oral bioavailability. ..
- Mariggiò G, Koch S, Zhang G, Weidner Glunde M, Rückert J, Kati S, et al. Kaposi Sarcoma Herpesvirus (KSHV) Latency-Associated Nuclear Antigen (LANA) recruits components of the MRN (Mre11-Rad50-NBS1) repair complex to modulate an innate immune signaling pathway and viral latency. PLoS Pathog. 2017;13:e1006335 pubmed publisher
- Gao G, Pierce B, Olopade O, Im H, Huo D. Trans-ethnic predicted expression genome-wide association analysis identifies a gene for estrogen receptor-negative breast cancer. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006727 pubmed publisher..05), compared to 582 (5.2%) of 11,287 genes that are not close to previous GWAS loci. This study demonstrated that expression-based gene mapping is a promising approach for identifying cancer susceptibility genes. ..
- Grzegrzolka J, Wojtyra P, Biala M, Piotrowska A, Gomulkiewicz A, Rys J, et al. Correlation Between Expression of Twist and Podoplanin in Ductal Breast Carcinoma. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:5485-5493 pubmed
- De Cola A, Franceschini M, Di Matteo A, Colotti G, Celani R, Clemente E, et al. N6L pseudopeptide interferes with nucleophosmin protein-protein interactions and sensitizes leukemic cells to chemotherapy. Cancer Lett. 2018;412:272-282 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we show that N6L sensitizes AML cells to doxorubicin and cytarabine treatment. These studies suggest that N6L may be a promising option in combination therapies for acute myeloid leukemia treatment. ..