Genomes and Genes
tumor suppressor proteins
Summary: Proteins that are normally involved in holding cellular growth in check. Deficiencies or abnormalities in these proteins may lead to unregulated cell growth and tumor development.
- Furney S, Pedersen M, Gentien D, Dumont A, Rapinat A, Desjardins L, et al. SF3B1 mutations are associated with alternative splicing in uveal melanoma. Cancer Discov. 2013;3:1122-1129 pubmed publisher..SF3B1 encodes a component of the spliceosome, and RNA sequencing revealed that SF3B1 mutations were associated with differential alternative splicing of protein coding genes, including ABCC5 and UQCC, and of the long noncoding RNA CRNDE...
- Goldman J, Ashour M, Magdesian M, Tritsch N, Harris S, Christofi N, et al. Netrin-1 promotes excitatory synaptogenesis between cortical neurons by initiating synapse assembly. J Neurosci. 2013;33:17278-89 pubmed publisher..These findings identify netrin-1 as a synapse-enriched protein that promotes synaptogenesis between mammalian cortical neurons. ..
- Tsun Z, Bar Peled L, Chantranupong L, Zoncu R, Wang T, Kim C, et al. The folliculin tumor suppressor is a GAP for the RagC/D GTPases that signal amino acid levels to mTORC1. Mol Cell. 2013;52:495-505 pubmed publisher..We identify FLCN and its binding partners, FNIP1/2, as Rag-interacting proteins with GAP activity for RagC/D, but not RagA/B. Thus, we reveal a role for RagC/D in mTORC1 activation and a molecular function for the FLCN tumor suppressor. ..
- Kristensen L, Treppendahl M, Asmar F, Girkov M, Nielsen H, Kjeldsen T, et al. Investigation of MGMT and DAPK1 methylation patterns in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma using allelic MSP-pyrosequencing. Sci Rep. 2013;3:2789 pubmed publisher..04), and DAPK1 methylation of the A-allele was associated with shorter overall survival (p-value=0.006). In future cancer research allelic MSP-pyrosequencing may be used to study a wide range of other loci. ..
- Rodhe J, Kavanagh E, Joseph B. TAp73?-mediated suppression of cell migration requires p57Kip2 control of actin cytoskeleton dynamics. Oncotarget. 2013;4:289-97 pubmed..In contrast, the promoting effect of TAp73? on cell motility and invasion strengthens the potential oncogenic activities of this p73 isoform. ..
- Antoniou A, Casadei S, Heikkinen T, Barrowdale D, Pylkäs K, Roberts J, et al. Breast-cancer risk in families with mutations in PALB2. N Engl J Med. 2014;371:497-506 pubmed publisher..Germline loss-of-function mutations in PALB2 are known to confer a predisposition to breast cancer. However, the lifetime risk of breast cancer that is conferred by such mutations remains unknown...
- Petit C, Roczniak Ferguson A, Ferguson S. Recruitment of folliculin to lysosomes supports the amino acid-dependent activation of Rag GTPases. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:1107-22 pubmed publisher..These new findings define the lysosome as a site of action for FLCN and indicate a critical role for FLCN in the amino acid-dependent activation of mTOR via its direct interaction with the RagA/B GTPases. ..
- Wiestler B, Capper D, Holland Letz T, Korshunov A, von Deimling A, Pfister S, et al. ATRX loss refines the classification of anaplastic gliomas and identifies a subgroup of IDH mutant astrocytic tumors with better prognosis. Acta Neuropathol. 2013;126:443-51 pubmed publisher..ATRX status helps better define the clinically and morphologically mixed group of AOA, since ATRX loss is a hallmark of astrocytic tumors. Furthermore, ATRX loss defines a subgroup of astrocytic tumors with a favorable prognosis...
- Bar Peled L, Chantranupong L, Cherniack A, Chen W, Ottina K, Grabiner B, et al. A Tumor suppressor complex with GAP activity for the Rag GTPases that signal amino acid sufficiency to mTORC1. Science. 2013;340:1100-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, we identify a key negative regulator of the Rag GTPases and reveal that, like other mTORC1 regulators, Rag function can be deregulated in cancer. ..
- Bepler G, Williams C, Schell M, Chen W, Zheng Z, Simon G, et al. Randomized international phase III trial of ERCC1 and RRM1 expression-based chemotherapy versus gemcitabine/carboplatin in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2013;31:2404-12 pubmed publisher..A tumor rebiopsy is safe, required in 17%, and acceptable to 89% (47 of 53) of patients. ..
- Desplats P, Dumaop W, Smith D, Adame A, Everall I, Letendre S, et al. Molecular and pathologic insights from latent HIV-1 infection in the human brain. Neurology. 2013;80:1415-23 pubmed publisher..BCL11B and other epigenetic factors involved in silencing might represent potential targets for HIV-1 involvement of the CNS. ..
- Saito T, Sugiyama K, Hama S, Yamasaki F, Takayasu T, Nosaka R, et al. High Expression of Glypican-1 Predicts Dissemination and Poor Prognosis in Glioblastomas. World Neurosurg. 2017;105:282-288 pubmed publisher..GPC-1 expression significantly correlated with OS in patients with GBM who received radiotherapy and temozolomide treatment. GPC-1 expression can help predict the occurrence of dissemination and shorter OS in patients with GBM. ..
- Al Waheeb S, Alwohhaib M, Abdelghani A, Al Sharrah S, Al Shafey E, Al Sahow A, et al. Evaluation of associations between single nucleotide polymorphisms in the FRMD3 and CARS genes and diabetic nephropathy in a Kuwaiti population. Genet Mol Res. 2016;15: pubmed publisher..Therefore, further analyses with larger samples are required to identify the susceptibility genes in a Middle-Eastern population. ..
- Vignaud J. [Squamous cell carcinoma, basaloid squamous cell carcinoma and adenosquamous carcinoma in the lung]. Ann Pathol. 2016;36:15-23 pubmed publisher..The adenocarcinoma components justified a screening for gene rearrangements. Finally, the recent WHO classification of lung tumors did not change the criteria applying for the grading of preinvasive bronchial lesion. ..
- Miller E, Calamaras T, Elezaby A, Sverdlov A, Qin F, Luptak I, et al. Partial Liver Kinase B1 (LKB1) Deficiency Promotes Diastolic Dysfunction, De Novo Systolic Dysfunction, Apoptosis, and Mitochondrial Dysfunction With Dietary Metabolic Challenge. J Am Heart Assoc. 2015;5: pubmed publisher..LKB1 plays a key role in protecting the heart from the consequences of metabolic stress. ..
- Zhang Q, Meng F, Chen S, Plouffe S, Wu S, Liu S, et al. Hippo signalling governs cytosolic nucleic acid sensing through YAP/TAZ-mediated TBK1 blockade. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:362-374 pubmed publisher..Thus, we describe a function of YAP/TAZ and the Hippo pathway in innate immunity, by linking cellular nutrient/physical status to antiviral host defence. ..
- Guan X, Zong Z, Chen S, Sang X, Wu D, Wang L, et al. The role of miR-372 in ovarian carcinoma cell proliferation. Gene. 2017;624:14-20 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that miR-372 has a prominent role in inhibiting tumor growth and it is a valuable target for ovarian cancer therapy. ..
- Konopacki F, Wong H, Dwivedy A, Bellon A, Blower M, Holt C. ESCRT-II controls retinal axon growth by regulating DCC receptor levels and local protein synthesis. Open Biol. 2016;6:150218 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results show that the ESCRT-II-mediated endocytic pathway regulates both DCC and LPS in the axonal compartment and suggest that ESCRT-II aids gradient sensing in GCs by coupling endocytosis to LPS. ..
- Lam H, Baglini C, Lope A, Parkhitko A, Liu H, Alesi N, et al. p62/SQSTM1 Cooperates with Hyperactive mTORC1 to Regulate Glutathione Production, Maintain Mitochondrial Integrity, and Promote Tumorigenesis. Cancer Res. 2017;77:3255-3267 pubmed publisher..i>Cancer Res; 77(12); 3255-67. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Togo Y, Yoshikawa Y, Suzuki T, Nakano Y, Kanematsu A, Zozumi M, et al. Genomic profiling of the genes on chromosome 3p in sporadic clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Int J Oncol. 2016;48:1571-80 pubmed publisher..Surprisingly, nuclear staining of BAP1 was negative in 10 out of 31 tumors (32.3%) with hemizygous normal BAP1, suggesting that haploinsufficiency may relate to RCC development. ..
- van Leeuwen Kerkhoff N, Lundberg K, Westers T, Kordasti S, Bontkes H, de Gruijl T, et al. Transcriptional profiling reveals functional dichotomy between human slan+ non-classical monocytes and myeloid dendritic cells. J Leukoc Biol. 2017;102:1055-1068 pubmed publisher..This study extends our knowledge on DC/monocyte subset biology under steady-state conditions and contributes to our understanding of their role in immune-mediated diseases and their potential use in immunotherapeutic strategies. ..
- Katona F, Murnyák B, Marko Varga G, Hortobagyi T. [Molecular background of the melanoma and the brain metastasis]. Orv Hetil. 2017;158:1083-1091 pubmed publisher..In our review we summarize the genetic alterations and molecular mechanisms playing a role in the development of melanoma and its brain metastasis. Orv Hetil. 2017; 158(28): 1083-1091. ..
- Aizawa Y, Shirai T, Kobayashi T, Hino O, Tsujii Y, Inoue H, et al. Metabolic abnormalities induced by mitochondrial dysfunction in skeletal muscle of the renal carcinoma Eker (TSC2+/-) rat model. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2016;80:1513-9 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that heterozygous to mutation TSC2 not only affects the liver metabolism, but also skeletal muscle metabolism, via mitochondrial dysfunction. ..
- Grabow S, Delbridge A, Aubrey B, Vandenberg C, Strasser A. Loss of a Single Mcl-1 Allele Inhibits MYC-Driven Lymphomagenesis by Sensitizing Pro-B Cells to Apoptosis. Cell Rep. 2016;14:2337-47 pubmed publisher..Thus, MCL-1 has a major role in lymphoma initiating pro-B cells to oppose BIM, which is upregulated in response to oncogenic stress. ..
- Takahashi A, Adachi S, Morita M, Tokumasu M, Natsume T, Suzuki T, et al. Post-transcriptional Stabilization of Ucp1 mRNA Protects Mice from Diet-Induced Obesity. Cell Rep. 2015;13:2756-67 pubmed publisher..BRF1 knockdown partially restores the stability of Ucp1 3'-UTR-containing mRNA. Thus, the Cnot7-Tob-BRF1 axis inhibits Ucp1 expression and contributes to obesity. ..
- Smits M, van den Bent M. Imaging Correlates of Adult Glioma Genotypes. Radiology. 2017;284:316-331 pubmed publisher..sup>© RSNA, 2017. ..
- Antoine Bertrand J, Fu M, Lamarche Vane N. Direct measurement of oscillatory RhoA activity in embryonic cortical neurons stimulated with the axon guidance cue netrin-1 using fluorescence resonance energy transfer. Biol Cell. 2016;108:115-26 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates for the first time the short-term localised activation of RhoA in neuronal growth cones by the axon guidance cue netrin-1. ..
- Malki I, Cantrelle F, Sottejeau Y, Lippens G, Lambert J, Landrieu I. Regulation of the interaction between the neuronal BIN1 isoform 1 and Tau proteins - role of the SH3 domain. FEBS J. 2017;284:3218-3229 pubmed publisher..These results emphasize an additional level of complexity in the regulation of the interaction between BIN1 and Tau dependent of the BIN1 isoforms. ..
- Wang Z, Zhang M, Deng M, Weng N, Wang H, Wu S. Low serum level of miR-485-3p predicts poor survival in patients with glioblastoma. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184969 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, serum miR-485-3p level is reduced and might be a potential prognostic biomarker in GBM patients. ..
- Wu W, Hu Z, Wang F, Gu H, Jiang X, Xu J, et al. Mxi1-0 regulates the growth of human umbilical vein endothelial cells through extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 (ERK1/2) and interleukin-8 (IL-8)-dependent pathways. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178831 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that Mxi1-0 regulates the growth of HUVECs via the IL-8 and ERK1/2 pathways, which apparently reciprocally activate each other. ..
- Gong F, Clouaire T, Aguirrebengoa M, Legube G, Miller K. Histone demethylase KDM5A regulates the ZMYND8-NuRD chromatin remodeler to promote DNA repair. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:1959-1974 pubmed publisher..Thus, this study identifies a crucial function for KDM5A in demethylating H3K4 to allow ZMYND8-NuRD to operate within damaged chromatin to repair DSBs. ..
- Wee C, Kim E, Kim N, Kim I, Kim T, Kim Y, et al. Novel recursive partitioning analysis classification for newly diagnosed glioblastoma: A multi-institutional study highlighting the MGMT promoter methylation and IDH1 gene mutation status. Radiother Oncol. 2017;123:106-111 pubmed publisher..This model integrating pertinent molecular information can be used effectively for the patient stratification in future clinical trials. An external validation is ongoing. ..
- Liu D, Nakashima N, Nakano J, Tarumi S, Matsuura N, Nakano T, et al. Customized Adjuvant Chemotherapy Based on Biomarker Examination May Improve Survival of Patients Completely Resected for Non-small-cell Lung Cancer. Anticancer Res. 2017;37:2501-2507 pubmed..71.0%, p=0.0011). Customized adjuvant chemotherapy based on biomarker examination significantly improved the survival of patients with NSCLC, regardless of p-stage. ..
- Pan H, Gu L, Liu B, Li Y, Wang Y, Bai X, et al. Tropomyosin-1 acts as a potential tumor suppressor in human oral squamous cell carcinoma. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0168900 pubmed publisher..We show that overexpression of TPM1 can promote cell apoptosis and inhibit migration. Our results suggest that TPM1 can suppress tumors in OSCC, and the TPM1 expression level is related to OSCC patient prognosis. ..
- Song L, Liu D, He J, Wang X, Dai Z, Zhao Y, et al. SOX1 inhibits breast cancer cell growth and invasion through suppressing the Wnt/?-catenin signaling pathway. APMIS. 2016;124:547-55 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data suggest that SOX1 can function as a tumor suppressor partly by interfering with Wnt/?-catenin signaling in breast cancer. ..
- Goel R, Lukong K. Understanding the cellular roles of Fyn-related kinase (FRK): implications in cancer biology. Cancer Metastasis Rev. 2016;35:179-99 pubmed publisher..Given its functional heterogeneity observed across different cancers, we also discuss the therapeutic significance of FRK. ..
- Von Grabowiecki Y, Abreu P, Blanchard O, Palamiuc L, Benosman S, MÃ©riaux S, et al. Transcriptional activator TAp63 is upregulated in muscular atrophy during ALS and induces the pro-atrophic ubiquitin ligase Trim63. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results suggest a novel function for p63 as a contributor to muscular atrophic processes via the regulation of multiple genes, including the muscle atrophy gene Trim63. ..
- Cho Y, Lee H, Lim S, Kim Y, Choe B, Lee S, et al. Suppression of GLTSCR2 expression in renal cell carcinomas. Pathol Res Pract. 2016;212:120-4 pubmed publisher..40, p<0.05). Knockdown of GLTSCR2 expression increased the invasiveness of SNU267 RCC cells. The expression of GLTSCR2 was suppressed in RCCs and its downregulation accentuated the malignant phenotype. ..
- Khatami F, Larijani B, Heshmat R, Keshtkar A, Mohammadamoli M, Teimoori Toolabi L, et al. Meta-analysis of promoter methylation in eight tumor-suppressor genes and its association with the risk of thyroid cancer. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184892 pubmed publisher..93), and RAR?2 (OR = 1.50). Analyses of publication bias and sensitivity confirmed that there was very little bias. Thus, our findings showed that CDH1 and SCL5A8 genes were associated with the risk of thyroid tumor genesis. ..
- Masroori N, Merindol N, Berthoux L. The interferon-induced antiviral protein PML (TRIM19) promotes the restriction and transcriptional silencing of lentiviruses in a context-specific, isoform-specific fashion. Retrovirology. 2016;13:19 pubmed publisher..This study also has implications for the development of murine models of HIV-1. ..
- Harris G, Jayamanne D, Wheeler H, Gzell C, Kastelan M, Schembri G, et al. Survival Outcomes of Elderly Patients With Glioblastoma Multiforme in Their 75th Year or Older Treated With Adjuvant Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2017;98:802-810 pubmed publisher..Further study of this cohort and an understanding of the appropriate selection criteria are warranted. ..
- van den Bent M, Bromberg J, Buckner J. Low-grade and anaplastic oligodendroglioma. Handb Clin Neurol. 2016;134:361-80 pubmed publisher..The current data suggest that delaying radiotherapy and treatment with chemotherapy only may be detrimental for overall survival. ..
- Cheng J, Ye F, Dan G, Zhao Y, Zhao J, Zou Z. Formation and degradation of nitrogen mustard-induced MGMT-DNA crosslinking in 16HBE cells. Toxicology. 2017;389:67-73 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrated the control of mDPC level could be realized through transcription inhibitory effect of c-Myc, O6GB application, and the acceleration of mDPC ubiquitination and subsequent degradation. ..
- Hellerbrand C, Massoumi R. Cylindromatosis--A Protective Molecule against Liver Diseases. Med Res Rev. 2016;36:342-59 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we will discuss the potential of novel diagnostic tools and treatment strategies utilizing CYLD and its target genes. ..
- Roszik J, Wu C, Siroy A, Lazar A, Davies M, Woodman S, et al. Somatic Copy Number Alterations at Oncogenic Loci Show Diverse Correlations with Gene Expression. Sci Rep. 2016;6:19649 pubmed publisher..Our results have implications for cancer data analyses and the clinic, where copy number and mutation data are increasingly used to personalize cancer therapy. ..
- Bai X, Huang W, Zhang C, Niu J, Ding W. Discovery of a Regulatory Motif for Human Satellite DNA Transcription in Response to BATF2 Overexpression. Anticancer Res. 2016;36:1203-10 pubmed..The present study provides insight into understanding the role of BATF2 in tumours and the importance of satellite DNA in the maintenance of genomic stability. ..
- Dolezal E, Infantino S, Drepper F, Börsig T, Singh A, Wossning T, et al. The BTG2-PRMT1 module limits pre-B cell expansion by regulating the CDK4-Cyclin-D3 complex. Nat Immunol. 2017;18:911-920 pubmed publisher..Our results identify a key molecular mechanism by which the BTG2-PRMT1 module regulates pre-B cell differentiation and inhibits pre-B cell leukemogenesis. ..
- Sun S, Chen S, Liu F, Wu H, McHugh J, Bergin I, et al. Constitutive Activation of mTORC1 in Endothelial Cells Leads to the Development and Progression of Lymphangiosarcoma through VEGF Autocrine Signaling. Cancer Cell. 2015;28:758-772 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrated critical mechanisms of aberrant mTORC1 activation in lymphangiosarcoma and validate the mice as a valuable model for further study. ..
- Carroll B, Nelson G, Rabanal Ruiz Y, Kucheryavenko O, Dunhill Turner N, Chesterman C, et al. Persistent mTORC1 signaling in cell senescence results from defects in amino acid and growth factor sensing. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:1949-1957 pubmed publisher..Interventions to correct these phenotypes restore sensitivity to the mTORC1 signaling pathway and cause death, indicating that persistent signaling supports senescent cell survival. ..