Genomes and Genes
Summary: Proteins whose abnormal expression (gain or loss) are associated with the development, growth, or progression of NEOPLASMS. Some neoplasm proteins are tumor antigens (ANTIGENS, NEOPLASM), i.e. they induce an immune reaction to their tumor. Many neoplasm proteins have been characterized and are used as tumor markers (BIOMARKERS, TUMOR) when they are detectable in cells and body fluids as monitors for the presence or growth of tumors. Abnormal expression of ONCOGENE PROTEINS is involved in neoplastic transformation, whereas the loss of expression of TUMOR SUPPRESSOR PROTEINS is involved with the loss of growth control and progression of the neoplasm.
- Hallberg B, Palmer R. Mechanistic insight into ALK receptor tyrosine kinase in human cancer biology. Nat Rev Cancer. 2013;13:685-700 pubmed publisher..In this Review, we discuss our current understanding of ALK function in human cancer and the implications for tumour treatment. ..
- Jung J, Wang J, Groenendyk J, Lee D, Michalak M, Agellon L. Fatty acid binding protein (Fabp) 5 interacts with the calnexin cytoplasmic domain at the endoplasmic reticulum. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;493:202-206 pubmed publisher..These observations identify Fabp5 as a previously unrecognized calnexin binding partner. ..
- Zhou Y, Huang N, Wu J, Zhen N, Li N, Li Y, et al. Silencing of NRAGE induces autophagy via AMPK/Ulk1/Atg13 signaling pathway in NSCLC cells. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317709676 pubmed publisher..Therefore, NRAGE could be used as a potential therapeutic target for lung cancer. ..
- Arshad O, Datta A. Towards targeted combinatorial therapy design for the treatment of castration-resistant prostate cancer. BMC Bioinformatics. 2017;18:134 pubmed publisher..The results presented herein can aid in the design of scientifically well-grounded targeted therapies that can be employed for the treatment of prostate cancer patients. ..
- Han Q, Lin X, Zhang X, Jiang G, Zhang Y, Miao Y, et al. WWC3 regulates the Wnt and Hippo pathways via Dishevelled proteins and large tumour suppressor 1, to suppress lung cancer invasion and metastasis. J Pathol. 2017;242:435-447 pubmed publisher..Copyright © 2017 Pathological Society of Great Britain and Ireland. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. ..
- Mitra T, Roy S. Co-Activation of TGF? and Wnt Signalling Pathways Abrogates EMT in Ovarian Cancer Cells. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2017;41:1336-1345 pubmed publisher..Therefore, tumourigenesis might be affected by the concentration of ligand/ growth factors for the respective signalling pathways activated in the tumour microenvironment and interaction between them might alter tumourigenesis. ..
- Cox V, Bhosale P, Varadhachary G, Wagner Bartak N, Glitza I, Gold K, et al. Cancer Genomics and Important Oncologic Mutations: A Contemporary Guide for Body Imagers. Radiology. 2017;283:314-340 pubmed publisher..sup>© RSNA, 2017 Online supplemental material is available for this article. ..
- Gocher A, Azabdaftari G, Euscher L, Dai S, Karacosta L, Franke T, et al. Akt activation by Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase kinase 2 (CaMKK2) in ovarian cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:14188-14204 pubmed publisher..CaMKK2 knockdown potentiated the effects of the chemotherapeutic drugs carboplatin and PX-866 to reduce proliferation and survival of OVCa cells. ..
- Esposito M, Aveic S, Seydel A, Tonini G. Neuroblastoma treatment in the post-genomic era. J Biomed Sci. 2017;24:14 pubmed publisher..Finally, we give an overview of the most recent druggable targets selected by Omics investigation and discuss how the Omics results can provide us additional advantages for overcoming tumour drug resistance. ..
- Alfaro J, Ignatchenko A, Ignatchenko V, Sinha A, Boutros P, Kislinger T. Detecting protein variants by mass spectrometry: a comprehensive study in cancer cell-lines. Genome Med. 2017;9:62 pubmed publisher..We discuss in detail the technical and computational challenges in identifying variant peptides by MS and show that uncovering these variants allows the identification of druggable mutations within important cancer genes. ..
- Grau C, Starkovich M, Azamian M, Xia F, Cheung S, Evans P, et al. Xp11.22 deletions encompassing CENPVL1, CENPVL2, MAGED1 and GSPT2 as a cause of syndromic X-linked intellectual disability. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175962 pubmed publisher..Loss of GSPT2 and/or MAGED1 function may contribute to the intellectual disability and developmental delay seen in males with these deletions. ..
- Guo J, Gong G, Zhang B. Identification and prognostic value of anterior gradient protein 2 expression in breast cancer based on tissue microarray. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317713392 pubmed publisher..031). All these data clearly showed that anterior gradient protein 2 is highly expressed in breast cancer and can be regarded as a putative biomarker for breast cancer prognosis. ..
- Sala Rabanal M, Yurtsever Z, Berry K, Nichols C, Brett T. Modulation of TMEM16A channel activity by the von Willebrand factor type A (VWA) domain of the calcium-activated chloride channel regulator 1 (CLCA1). J Biol Chem. 2017;292:9164-9174 pubmed publisher..Our study hints at the therapeutic potential of the selective activation of TMEM16A by the CLCA1 VWA domain in loss-of-function chloride channelopathies such as cystic fibrosis. ..
- Wang L, Xiu Y, Chen X, Sun K, Chen S, Wu D, et al. The transcription factor FOXA1 induces epithelial ovarian cancer tumorigenesis and progression. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317706210 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, we suggest that FOXA1 plays a catalytic role in ovarian cancer pathogenesis and development by affecting the expression of the above-mentioned proteins. ..
- Kenigsberg S, Lima P, Maghen L, Wyse B, Lackan C, Cheung A, et al. The elusive MAESTRO gene: Its human reproductive tissue-specific expression pattern. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0174873 pubmed publisher..A better understanding of the tissue-specific MRO isoforms expression patterns and the unique structure of the protein may provide important insights into the function of this gene and possibly to the pathophysiology of PCOS. ..
- Guo X, Zhang D, Fan Y, Qin L, Dong S, Zhang L. Upregulated miR-132 in Lgr5+ gastric cancer stem cell-like cells contributes to cisplatin-resistance via SIRT1/CREB/ABCG2 signaling pathway. Mol Carcinog. 2017;56:2022-2034 pubmed publisher..Thus, we concluded that miR-132 regulated SIRT1/CREB/ABCG2 signaling pathway contributing to the cisplatin resistance and might serve as a novel therapeutic target against gastric cancer. ..
- Vo B, Li C, Morgan M, Theurillat I, Finkelstein D, Wright S, et al. Inactivation of Ezh2 Upregulates Gfi1 and Drives Aggressive Myc-Driven Group 3 Medulloblastoma. Cell Rep. 2017;18:2907-2917 pubmed publisher..Although negative regulation of Gfi1 by Ezh2 may restrain MB development, Gfi1 activation can bypass these effects. ..
- Gong X, Liu J, Zhang D, Yang D, Min Z, Wen X, et al. GLIPR1 modulates the response of cisplatin-resistant human lung cancer cells to cisplatin. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0182410 pubmed publisher..Therefore, GLIPR1 deserves further investigation in the context of none-small lung cancer (NSCLC). ..
- Delair D, Burke K, Selenica P, Lim R, Scott S, Middha S, et al. The genetic landscape of endometrial clear cell carcinomas. J Pathol. 2017;243:230-241 pubmed publisher..Copyright © 2017 Pathological Society of Great Britain and Ireland. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd...
- Fang Y, Su Z, Xie J, Xue R, Ma Q, Li Y, et al. Genomic signatures of pancreatic adenosquamous carcinoma (PASC). J Pathol. 2017;243:155-159 pubmed publisher..Our study has updated genomic knowledge to help with understanding mixed cancers of the pancreas. Copyright © 2017 Pathological Society of Great Britain and Ireland. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd...
- Heilman P, Song S, Miranda C, Meyer K, Srivastava A, Knapp A, et al. HSPB1 mutations causing hereditary neuropathy in humans disrupt non-cell autonomous protection of motor neurons. Exp Neurol. 2017;297:101-109 pubmed publisher..These data provide evidence that astrocytic HSPB1 expression may play a central role in motor neuron health and maintenance. ..
- Wu C, Hsiao S, Murakami M, Lu M, Li Y, Hsieh C, et al. Tyrphostin RG14620 selectively reverses ABCG2-mediated multidrug resistance in cancer cell lines. Cancer Lett. 2017;409:56-65 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings indicate that tyrphostin RG14620 is a potent and selective modulator of ABCG2 that may be useful to overcome chemoresistance in patients with drug-resistant tumors. ..
- Klein Szanto A, Bassi D. Proprotein convertase inhibition: Paralyzing the cell's master switches. Biochem Pharmacol. 2017;140:8-15 pubmed publisher..The development of allosteric inhibitors, or specific agents directed against individual PCs is one of the challenges to be unraveled in the future. ..
- Han K, Jeng E, Hess G, Morgens D, Li A, Bassik M. Synergistic drug combinations for cancer identified in a CRISPR screen for pairwise genetic interactions. Nat Biotechnol. 2017;35:463-474 pubmed publisher..This work provides an effective strategy to screen synergistic drug combinations in high-throughput and a CRISPR-based tool to dissect functional GI networks. ..
- Viziteu E, Klein B, Basbous J, Lin Y, Hirtz C, Gourzones C, et al. RECQ1 helicase is involved in replication stress survival and drug resistance in multiple myeloma. Leukemia. 2017;31:2104-2113 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these data suggest that association of DNA damaging agents and/or PARP inhibitors with DNMT inhibitors may represent a therapeutic approach in patients with high RECQ1 expression associated with a poor prognosis. ..
- Zhou C, Chen T, Xie Z, Qin Y, Ou Y, Zhang J, et al. RACK1 forms a complex with FGFR1 and PKM2, and stimulates the growth and migration of squamous lung cancer cells. Mol Carcinog. 2017;56:2391-2399 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study demonstrated the pivotal roles of RACK1 in FGFR1/PKM2 signaling, suggesting FGFR1/RACK1/PKM2 might be a therapeutic target for lung cancer treatment. ..
- Zhang W, Chai W, Zeng J, Chen J, Bi L, Niu L. Irreversible electroporation for the treatment of rabbit VX2 breast cancer. Biomed Microdevices. 2017;19:29 pubmed publisher..IRE is a promising local treatment for breast cancer. ..
- Tan S, Ding K, Chong Q, Zhao J, Liu Y, Shao Y, et al. Post-transcriptional regulation of ERBB2 by miR26a/b and HuR confers resistance to tamoxifen in estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:13551-13564 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we have characterized a model in which the interplay between miR26a/b and HuR post-transcriptionally up-regulates ERBB2 expression in TAMR ER+ breast cancer cells. ..
- Huang X, Lu S. MicroR-545 mediates colorectal cancer cells proliferation through up-regulating epidermal growth factor receptor expression in HOTAIR long non-coding RNA dependent. Mol Cell Biochem. 2017;431:45-54 pubmed publisher..Monitoring of tumor growth in mice showed that miR-545 overexpression suppressed LOVO tumor growth. Our data suggested that HOTAIR long non-coding RNA mediates microR-545 regulating colorectal cancer cells proliferation. ..
- Taguchi Y, Horiuchi Y, Kano F, Murata M. Novel prosurvival function of Yip1A in human cervical cancer cells: constitutive activation of the IRE1 and PERK pathways of the unfolded protein response. Cell Death Dis. 2017;8:e2718 pubmed publisher..The present study is the first to uncover a key prosurvival modulator, Yip1A, which coordinates IRE1 signaling with PERK signaling to support the survival of HeLa and CaSki cervical cancer cells. ..
- Tang Y, Dou H, Zhang Q, Liu J, Yang X. Expression of inflammatory cytokines in ovarian epithelial cancer and their correlation. J Biol Regul Homeost Agents. 2017;31:413-418 pubmed..05). Study of the expression of IL-17 provides theoretical support for the clinical treatment and prognosis prediction of ovarian epithelial tumor. ..
- Guillermo Lagae R, Santha S, Thomas M, Zoelle E, Stevens J, Kaushik R, et al. Antineoplastic Effects of Honokiol on Melanoma. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:5496398 pubmed publisher..Honokiol caused a significant reduction of tumor growth in SKMEL-2 and UACC-62 melanoma xenografts. These findings suggest that honokiol is a good candidate for further studies as a possible treatment for malignant melanoma. ..
- DeLigio J, Lin G, Chalfant C, Park M. Splice variants of cytosolic polyadenylation element-binding protein 2 (CPEB2) differentially regulate pathways linked to cancer metastasis. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:17909-17918 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study demonstrates that CPEB2 alternative splicing is a major regulator of key cellular pathways linked to anoikis resistance and metastasis. ..
- Hassoun S, Abdel Rahman N, Eladl E, El Shishtawy M. Antiangiogenic activity of vitexicarpine in experimentally induced hepatocellular carcinoma: Impact on vascular endothelial growth factor pathway. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317707376 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this study suggests that vitexicarpine possesses both antiangiogenic and antitumor activities through inhibition of vascular endothelial growth factor, p-AKT/AKT, and p-Src with subsequent inhibition of apoptotic pathway. ..
- Sailer V, Gevensleben H, Dietrich J, Goltz D, Kristiansen G, Bootz F, et al. Clinical performance validation of PITX2 DNA methylation as prognostic biomarker in patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179412 pubmed publisher..e. immunotherapy. ..
- Xu Z, Ji J, Xu J, Li D, Shi G, Liu F, et al. MiR-30a increases MDSC differentiation and immunosuppressive function by targeting SOCS3 in mice with B-cell lymphoma. FEBS J. 2017;284:2410-2424 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insights into the molecular mechanisms underlying MDSC expansion and function during B cell lymphoma development. ..
- Juneja M, Kobelt D, Walther W, Voss C, Smith J, Specker E, et al. Statin and rottlerin small-molecule inhibitors restrict colon cancer progression and metastasis via MACC1. PLoS Biol. 2017;15:e2000784 pubmed publisher..This is-to the best of our knowledge-the first identification of inhibitors restricting cancer progression and metastasis via the novel target MACC1. This drug repositioning might be of therapeutic value for CRC patients. ..
- Yu S, Cheng J, Geng S, Gao S. [Effects of simvastatin on the proliferation, invasion and radiosensitivity in Lewis lung cancer cell line]. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi. 2017;39:245-249 pubmed publisher..When combined with radiotherapy, simvastatin can inhibit tumor growth and metastasis, and improve the treatment efficacy of radiotherapy synergistically...
- Kim S, Kang J, Kim C, Ihm S, Choi M, Yoo H, et al. Cytotoxic effect of celastrol alone or in combination with paclitaxel on anaplastic thyroid carcinoma cells. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317698369 pubmed publisher..Moreover, celastrol synergizes with paclitaxel in induction of cytotoxicity in anaplastic thyroid carcinoma cells. ..
- Aldoss I, Song J, Stiller T, Nguyen T, Palmer J, O Donnell M, et al. Correlates of resistance and relapse during blinatumomab therapy for relapsed/refractory acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Am J Hematol. 2017;92:858-865 pubmed publisher..Higher CD19 expression as well as prior history of EM-ALL were associated with EM-ALL at the time of blinatumomab failure. ..
- Forouzanfar N, Baranova A, Milanizadeh S, Heravi Moussavi A, Jebelli A, Abbaszadegan M. Novel candidate genes may be possible predisposing factors revealed by whole exome sequencing in familial esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317699115 pubmed publisher..In addition, some of the Notch signaling pathway genetic mutations may act as key contributors to esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. ..
- Xu D, Du M, Zhang J, Xiong P, Li W, Zhang H, et al. DNMT1 mediated promoter methylation of GNAO1 in hepatoma carcinoma cells. Gene. 2018;665:67-73 pubmed publisher..All these results above indicated that the promoter hypermethylation of GNAO1 might play an important role in HCC, suggesting that it might be used as a promising biomarker for HCC diagnosis and targeted therapy. ..
- Cai M, Dai S, Chen W, Xia C, Lu L, Dai S, et al. Environmental factors, seven GWAS-identified susceptibility loci, and risk of gastric cancer and its precursors in a Chinese population. Cancer Med. 2017;6:708-720 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that genetic predisposition factors identified by GWAS may interact with environmental risk factors, Particularly for H. pylori infection and alcohol consumption, to increase the risk of GC. ..
- JovanoviÄ‡ B, Sheng Q, Seitz R, Lawrence K, Morris S, Thomas L, et al. Comparison of triple-negative breast cancer molecular subtyping using RNA from matched fresh-frozen versus formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue. BMC Cancer. 2017;17:241 pubmed publisher..While differentially expressed transcripts did not impact TNBC subtyping, they will provide guidance on determining which transcripts to avoid when implementing a gene set size reduction strategy. NCT00930930 07/01/2009. ..
- Soni D, Regmi S, Wang D, Debroy A, Zhao Y, Vogel S, et al. Pyk2 phosphorylation of VE-PTP downstream of STIM1-induced Ca2+ entry regulates disassembly of adherens junctions. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2017;312:L1003-L1017 pubmed publisher..Therefore, targeting the Pyk2 activation pathway may be a potentially important anti-inflammatory strategy. ..
- Kikuta K, Kubota D, Yoshida A, Qiao Z, Morioka H, Nakamura M, et al. Discoidin, CUB and LCCL domain-containing protein 2 (DCBLD2) is a novel biomarker of myxofibrosarcoma invasion identified by global protein expression profiling. Biochim Biophys Acta Proteins Proteom. 2017;1865:1160-1166 pubmed publisher..Further validation studies based on multi-institutional collaboration and comprehensive analysis of DCBLD2 biological functions in MFS are required to confirm its prognostic utility for clinical application. ..
- Yang J, Kasberg W, Celo A, Liang Z, Quispe K, Stack M. Post-translational modification of the membrane type 1 matrix metalloproteinase (MT1-MMP) cytoplasmic tail impacts ovarian cancer multicellular aggregate dynamics. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:13111-13121 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings suggest that post-translational regulation of the Thr567 in the MT1-MMP cytoplasmic tail may function as a regulatory mechanism to impact ovarian cancer metastatic success. ..
- Hammerschlag A, Stringer S, de Leeuw C, Sniekers S, Taskesen E, Watanabe K, et al. Genome-wide association analysis of insomnia complaints identifies risk genes and genetic overlap with psychiatric and metabolic traits. Nat Genet. 2017;49:1584-1592 pubmed publisher..These findings provide new insight into the genetic architecture of insomnia. ..
- Liu W, Wu I, Lee Y, Lin C, Cheng J, Lin Y, et al. Hepatocellular carcinoma-associated single-nucleotide variants and deletions identified by the use of genome-wide high-throughput analysis of hepatitis B virus. J Pathol. 2017;243:176-192 pubmed publisher..Their carcinogenic mechanisms are worthy of further research. Copyright © 2017 Pathological Society of Great Britain and Ireland. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. ..
- Lyons A, Coleman M, Riis S, Favre C, O Flanagan C, Zhdanov A, et al. Insulin-like growth factor 1 signaling is essential for mitochondrial biogenesis and mitophagy in cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:16983-16998 pubmed publisher..This core mitochondrial protective signal is likely to strongly influence responses to therapy and the phenotypic evolution of cancer. ..
- Kral M, Klimek C, Kutay B, Timelthaler G, Lendl T, Neuditschko B, et al. Covalent dimerization of interleukin-like epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition (EMT) inducer (ILEI) facilitates EMT, invasion, and late aspects of metastasis. FEBS J. 2017;284:3484-3505 pubmed publisher..These data show that covalent ILEI self-assembly is essential for EMT induction, elevated tumor growth, and metastasis. ..
- Qing S, Tulake W, Ru M, Li X, Yuemaier R, Lidifu D, et al. Proteomic identification of potential biomarkers for cervical squamous cell carcinoma and human papillomavirus infection. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317697547 pubmed publisher..Further validation studies of the profile will contribute to establishing auxiliary diagnostic markers for human papillomavirus-based cancer prognosis. ..