Genomes and Genes
coat protein complex i
Summary: A protein complex comprised of COATOMER PROTEIN and ADP RIBOSYLATION FACTOR 1. It is involved in transport of vesicles between the ENDOPLASMIC RETICULUM and the GOLGI APPARATUS.
- Martinez Menarguez J, Prekeris R, Oorschot V, Scheller R, Slot J, Geuze H, et al. Peri-Golgi vesicles contain retrograde but not anterograde proteins consistent with the cisternal progression model of intra-Golgi transport. J Cell Biol. 2001;155:1213-24 pubmed..These data suggest a role of peri-Golgi vesicles in recycling of Golgi residents, rather than an important role in anterograde transport. ..
- Klumperman J. Transport between ER and Golgi. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2000;12:445-9 pubmed..The anterograde membrane flow is compensated for by a retrograde pathway, which, in addition to the recycling of membrane and proteins to the endoplasmic reticulum, may play a role in anterograde cargo concentration. ..
- Yip C, Walz T. Molecular structure and flexibility of the yeast coatomer as revealed by electron microscopy. J Mol Biol. 2011;408:825-31 pubmed publisherb>Coat protein complex I (COPI)-coated vesicles, one of three major types of vesicular carriers in the cell, mediate the early secretory pathway and retrograde transport from the Golgi to the endoplasmic reticulum...
- Duden R. ER-to-Golgi transport: COP I and COP II function (Review). Mol Membr Biol. 2003;20:197-207 pubmed..Additionally, COP I coat proteins have complex functions in intra-Golgi trafficking and in maintaining the normal structure of the mammalian interphase Golgi complex...
- Liu W, Duden R, Phair R, Lippincott Schwartz J. ArfGAP1 dynamics and its role in COPI coat assembly on Golgi membranes of living cells. J Cell Biol. 2005;168:1053-63 pubmed..These data suggest that ArfGAP1, coatomer and Arf1 play interdependent roles in the assembly-disassembly cycle of the COPI coat in vivo. ..
- Yang J, Zhang L, Lee S, Gad H, Luini A, Hsu V. Key components of the fission machinery are interchangeable. Nat Cell Biol. 2006;8:1376-82 pubmed
- Gilchrist A, Au C, Hiding J, Bell A, Fernandez Rodriguez J, Lesimple S, et al. Quantitative proteomics analysis of the secretory pathway. Cell. 2006;127:1265-81 pubmed..Of these, 230 had their subcellular location deduced by proteomics. This study provides a comprehensive catalog of the ER and Golgi proteomes with insight into their identity and function. ..
- Watson P, Frigerio G, Collins B, Duden R, Owen D. Gamma-COP appendage domain - structure and function. Traffic. 2004;5:79-88 pubmed..On the basis of mutations in the yeast homologue of gamma-COP, Sec21p, a second binding site is proposed to exist on the gamma-COP appendage that interacts with the alpha,beta',epsilon COPI subcomplex. ..
- Tamayo A, Bharti A, Trujillo C, Harrison R, Murphy J. COPI coatomer complex proteins facilitate the translocation of anthrax lethal factor across vesicular membranes in vitro. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:5254-9 pubmed publisher..This facilitated delivery appears to use a mechanism that is analogous to that of DT entry. ..
- Spang A. ARF1 regulatory factors and COPI vesicle formation. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2002;14:423-7 pubmed..clear that cargo might not simply be a passive passenger, and that ADP-ribosylation factor (ARF) GAPs are not only GTPase-activating proteins for ARF, but might play crucial roles in regulating coat protein complex I vesicle formation.
- Burman J, Bourbonniere L, Philie J, Stroh T, Dejgaard S, Presley J, et al. Scyl1, mutated in a recessive form of spinocerebellar neurodegeneration, regulates COPI-mediated retrograde traffic. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:22774-86 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate a function for Scyl1 as an accessory factor in COPI trafficking and suggest for the first time that alterations in the COPI pathway result in neurodegenerative disease. ..
- Takatsu H, Futatsumori M, Yoshino K, Yoshida Y, Shin H, Nakayama K. Similar subunit interactions contribute to assembly of clathrin adaptor complexes and COPI complex: analysis using yeast three-hybrid system. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2001;284:1083-9 pubmed
- Zhao X, Lasell T, Melancon P. Localization of large ADP-ribosylation factor-guanine nucleotide exchange factors to different Golgi compartments: evidence for distinct functions in protein traffic. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:119-33 pubmed..In agreement with this possibility, COPI overlapped to a greater extent with GBF1 (64%) than BIG1 (31%), whereas clathrin showed limited overlap with BIG1, and virtually none with GBF1. ..
- Barlowe C. Traffic COPs of the early secretory pathway. Traffic. 2000;1:371-7 pubmed..This review focuses on recent advances in molecular mechanisms underlying coated-vesicle assembly and connections with cellular structures...
- Monetta P, Slavin I, Romero N, Alvarez C. Rab1b interacts with GBF1 and modulates both ARF1 dynamics and COPI association. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:2400-10 pubmed..Our data support a model where Rab1b-GTP induces GBF1 recruitment at the ERES interface and at the Golgi complex where it is required for COPII/COPI exchange or COPI vesicle formation, respectively. ..
- Oka T, Ungar D, Hughson F, Krieger M. The COG and COPI complexes interact to control the abundance of GEARs, a subset of Golgi integral membrane proteins. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:2423-35 pubmed..COG and COPI may work in concert to ensure the proper retention or retrieval of a subset of proteins in the Golgi, and COG helps prevent the endoplasmic reticulum accumulation and degradation of some GEARs. ..
- Szul T, Grabski R, Lyons S, Morohashi Y, Shestopal S, Lowe M, et al. Dissecting the role of the ARF guanine nucleotide exchange factor GBF1 in Golgi biogenesis and protein trafficking. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3929-40 pubmed..However, the trafficking of transmembrane proteins through the existing pathway requires GBF1-mediated ARF activation and COPI recruitment. ..
- Morikawa R, Aoki J, Kano F, Murata M, Yamamoto A, Tsujimoto M, et al. Intracellular phospholipase A1gamma (iPLA1gamma) is a novel factor involved in coat protein complex I- and Rab6-independent retrograde transport between the endoplasmic reticulum and the Golgi complex. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:26620-30 pubmed publisher..Thus, iPLA(1)gamma is a novel membrane transport factor that contributes to a specific Golgi-to-ER retrograde pathway distinct from presently characterized COPI- and Rab6-dependent pathways. ..
- Storrie B, Pepperkok R, Nilsson T. Breaking the COPI monopoly on Golgi recycling. Trends Cell Biol. 2000;10:385-91 pubmed..As signal-mediated COPI-dependent recycling also involves the concentration of resident proteins into retrograde COPI vesicles, the main bulk of lipids must be recycled, possibly through a COPI-independent pathway. ..
- Szul T, Garcia Mata R, Brandon E, Shestopal S, Alvarez C, Sztul E. Dissection of membrane dynamics of the ARF-guanine nucleotide exchange factor GBF1. Traffic. 2005;6:374-85 pubmed..Our findings imply that continuous cycles of recruitment and dissociation of GBF1 to membranes are required for sustained ARF activation and COP I recruitment that underlies ER-Golgi traffic. ..
- Yang J, Lee S, Spanò S, Gad H, Zhang L, Nie Z, et al. A role for BARS at the fission step of COPI vesicle formation from Golgi membrane. EMBO J. 2005;24:4133-43 pubmed..Our findings not only identify a new factor needed for COPI vesicle formation from Golgi membrane but also reveal a surprising mechanism by which the roles of p-coA and GAP are linked in this process. ..
- Shorter J, Warren G. Golgi architecture and inheritance. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2002;18:379-420 pubmed..This structural framework may be instructive for Golgi biogenesis and may encode sufficient information to ensure accurate Golgi inheritance, thereby helping to resolve some of the current discrepancies between different workers. ..
- Futatsumori M, Kasai K, Takatsu H, Shin H, Nakayama K. Identification and characterization of novel isoforms of COP I subunits. J Biochem. 2000;128:793-801 pubmed..These results indicate that gamma2-COP and zeta2-COP can form a COP I-like complex in place of gamma1-COP and zeta1-COP, respectively, and suggest that the COP I complex and the COP I-like complex are functionally redundant. ..
- Kirchhausen T. Three ways to make a vesicle. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2000;1:187-98 pubmed..A general model to explain the formation of coated vesicles is starting to emerge but the picture is more complex than we had imagined. ..
- Elsner M, Hashimoto H, Simpson J, Cassel D, Nilsson T, Weiss M. Spatiotemporal dynamics of the COPI vesicle machinery. EMBO Rep. 2003;4:1000-4 pubmed..The addition of aluminium fluoride locks coatomer onto Golgi membranes and also decreases the binding kinetics of both ARF1 and ARFGAP1, suggesting that these proteins function in concert to mediate sorting and vesicle formation. ..
- Lee S, Yang J, Hong W, Premont R, Hsu V. ARFGAP1 plays a central role in coupling COPI cargo sorting with vesicle formation. J Cell Biol. 2005;168:281-90 pubmed..Together, these findings indicate that GAP plays a central role in coupling cargo sorting and vesicle formation, with implications for simplifying models to describe how these two processes are coupled during COPI transport. ..
- Wessels E, Duijsings D, Niu T, Neumann S, Oorschot V, de Lange F, et al. A viral protein that blocks Arf1-mediated COP-I assembly by inhibiting the guanine nucleotide exchange factor GBF1. Dev Cell. 2006;11:191-201 pubmed..By specifically interfering with GBF1-mediated Arf1 activation, 3A may prove a valuable tool in dissecting the early steps of the secretory pathway. ..
- Garcia Mata R, Szul T, Alvarez C, Sztul E. ADP-ribosylation factor/COPI-dependent events at the endoplasmic reticulum-Golgi interface are regulated by the guanine nucleotide exchange factor GBF1. Mol Biol Cell. 2003;14:2250-61 pubmed..Our findings imply that the continuous recruitment of GBF1 to spatially differentiated membrane domains is required for sustained membrane remodeling that underlies membrane traffic and Golgi biogenesis. ..
- Deng Y, Golinelli Cohen M, Smirnova E, Jackson C. A COPI coat subunit interacts directly with an early-Golgi localized Arf exchange factor. EMBO Rep. 2009;10:58-64 pubmed publisher..A well-studied class of Arf1 effectors comprises the coat complexes, such as the cis-Golgi-localized COPI (coat protein complex I) coat, and trans-Golgi network-endosomal clathrin coats...
- Manolea F, Claude A, Chun J, Rosas J, Melancon P. Distinct functions for Arf guanine nucleotide exchange factors at the Golgi complex: GBF1 and BIGs are required for assembly and maintenance of the Golgi stack and trans-Golgi network, respectively. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:523-35 pubmed
- Cherry S, Kunte A, Wang H, Coyne C, Rawson R, Perrimon N. COPI activity coupled with fatty acid biosynthesis is required for viral replication. PLoS Pathog. 2006;2:e102 pubmed..screening, we found that this step in the viral lifecycle requires at least two host encoded pathways: the coat protein complex I (COPI) coatamer and fatty acid biosynthesis...
- Coutinho P, Parsons M, Thomas K, Hirst E, Saude L, Campos I, et al. Differential requirements for COPI transport during vertebrate early development. Dev Cell. 2004;7:547-58 pubmed..Moreover, we note that the mRNA encoding alpha coatomer is strikingly upregulated in notochord progenitors, and we present data suggesting that alpha coatomer transcription is tuned to activity- and cell type-specific secretory loads. ..
- Stagg S, LaPointe P, Balch W. Structural design of cage and coat scaffolds that direct membrane traffic. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 2007;17:221-8 pubmed..These studies emphasize molecular and structural principles that reflect the properties of self-assembling nanomachines to regulate cargo capacity in trafficking pathways. ..
- Majoul I, Straub M, Hell S, Duden R, Söling H. KDEL-cargo regulates interactions between proteins involved in COPI vesicle traffic: measurements in living cells using FRET. Dev Cell. 2001;1:139-53 pubmed..Both p24a and p23 interact with ARF1, but only p24 interacts with ARFGAP. These findings suggest a model for how cargo-induced oligomerization of ERD2 regulates its sorting into COPI-coated buds. ..
- Hsu V, Lee S, Yang J. The evolving understanding of COPI vesicle formation. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2009;10:360-4 pubmed publisher..Here, we discuss emerging evidence that suggests the need to revise some long-held views on how COPI vesicle formation is achieved. ..
- Guo Y, Walther T, Rao M, Stuurman N, Goshima G, Terayama K, et al. Functional genomic screen reveals genes involved in lipid-droplet formation and utilization. Nature. 2008;453:657-61 pubmed publisher..These phenotypes are conserved in mammalian cells, suggesting that insights from these studies are likely to be central to our understanding of human diseases involving excessive lipid storage. ..
- Pepperkok R, Whitney J, Gomez M, Kreis T. COPI vesicles accumulating in the presence of a GTP restricted arf1 mutant are depleted of anterograde and retrograde cargo. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 1):135-44 pubmed
- Peter C, Evans M, Thayanithy V, Taniguchi Ishigaki N, Bach I, Kolpak A, et al. The COPI vesicle complex binds and moves with survival motor neuron within axons. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:1701-11 pubmed publisher..We propose that neurons utilize the Golgi-associated COPI vesicle to deliver cargoes necessary for motor neuron integrity and function. ..
- Ram R, Li B, Kaiser C. Identification of Sec36p, Sec37p, and Sec38p: components of yeast complex that contains Sec34p and Sec35p. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:1484-500 pubmed..These tests indicate two general types of subunits: Sec34p, Sec35p, Sec36p, and Sec38p seem to form the essential core of a complex to which Sec37p, Cod4p, Cod5p, and Dor1p seem to be peripherally attached. ..
- Puthenveedu M, Linstedt A. Evidence that Golgi structure depends on a p115 activity that is independent of the vesicle tether components giantin and GM130. J Cell Biol. 2001;155:227-38 pubmed..These observations indicate that inhibition of p115 can induce a mitotic-like Golgi disassembly, but its essential role in Golgi structure is independent of its Golgi-localized binding partners giantin and GM130. ..
- Valderrama F, Luna A, Babia T, Martinez Menarguez J, Ballesta J, Barth H, et al. The golgi-associated COPI-coated buds and vesicles contain beta/gamma -actin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:1560-5 pubmed
- Rein U, Andag U, Duden R, Schmitt H, Spang A. ARF-GAP-mediated interaction between the ER-Golgi v-SNAREs and the COPI coat. J Cell Biol. 2002;157:395-404 pubmed..The mechanisms by which v-SNAREs interact with COPI and COPII coat proteins seem to be different and may play a key role in determining specificity in vesicle budding...
- Marie M, Dale H, Sannerud R, Saraste J. The function of the intermediate compartment in pre-Golgi trafficking involves its stable connection with the centrosome. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:4458-70 pubmed publisher..Moreover, they reveal a direct functional connection between the IC and the endosomal system, which evidently contributes to unconventional transport of the cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator to the cell surface. ..
- Fischer K, Helms J, Zhao L, Wieland F. Site-specific photocrosslinking to probe interactions of Arf1 with proteins involved in budding of COPI vesicles. Methods. 2000;20:455-64 pubmed
- Ossipov D, Schröder Köhne S, Schmitt H. Yeast ER-Golgi v-SNAREs Bos1p and Bet1p differ in steady-state localization and targeting. J Cell Sci. 1999;112 ( Pt 22):4135-42 pubmed..Bet1-alpha is an early Golgi protein and it does not change its localization under conditions when other recycling Golgi proteins can be trapped in the ER. ..
- Cureton D, Burdeinick Kerr R, Whelan S. Genetic inactivation of COPI coatomer separately inhibits vesicular stomatitis virus entry and gene expression. J Virol. 2012;86:655-66 pubmed publisher..Our results offer an explanation of why COPI coatomer is frequently identified in screens for cellular factors that support cell invasion by microbial pathogens. ..
- Bethune J, Wieland F, Moelleken J. COPI-mediated transport. J Membr Biol. 2006;211:65-79 pubmed..Finally, we describe the striking similarities that exist between the COPI system and the two other characterized types of vesicular carriers: COPII- and clathrin-coated vesicles. ..
- Cai H, Zhang Y, Pypaert M, Walker L, Ferro Novick S. Mutants in trs120 disrupt traffic from the early endosome to the late Golgi. J Cell Biol. 2005;171:823-33 pubmed..Furthermore, we demonstrate that Trs120p largely colocalizes with the late Golgi marker Sec7p. Our findings imply that Trs120p is required for vesicle traffic from the early endosome to the late Golgi. ..
- Reinhard C, Schweikert M, Wieland F, Nickel W. Functional reconstitution of COPI coat assembly and disassembly using chemically defined components. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:8253-7 pubmed..Bourgoin, S., Randazzo, P. A., et al. (2002) J. Cell Biol. 159, 69-78]. Thus, a complete round of COPI coat assembly and disassembly has been reconstituted with purified components defining the core machinery of COPI vesicle biogenesis...
- Shinotsuka C, Waguri S, Wakasugi M, Uchiyama Y, Nakayama K. Dominant-negative mutant of BIG2, an ARF-guanine nucleotide exchange factor, specifically affects membrane trafficking from the trans-Golgi network through inhibiting membrane association of AP-1 and GGA coat proteins. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;294:254-60 pubmed..These observations indicate that BIG2 is involved in trafficking from the TGN by regulating membrane association of AP-1 and GGA through activating ARF. ..
- Faini M, Prinz S, Beck R, Schorb M, Riches J, Bacia K, et al. The structures of COPI-coated vesicles reveal alternate coatomer conformations and interactions. Science. 2012;336:1451-4 pubmed publisher..This represents a fundamentally different basis for vesicle coat assembly. ..