Summary: A calcium-dependent pore-forming protein synthesized in cytolytic LYMPHOCYTES and sequestered in secretory granules. Upon immunological reaction between a cytolytic lymphocyte and a target cell, perforin is released at the plasma membrane and polymerizes into transmembrane tubules (forming pores) which lead to death of a target cell.
- Bordbar M, Modarresi F, Farazi Fard M, Dastsooz H, Shakib Azad N, Faghihi M. A case report of novel mutation in PRF1 gene, which causes familial autosomal recessive hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. BMC Med Genet. 2017;18:49 pubmed publisher..Our study identified a rare new pathogenic missense mutation in PRF1 gene in patient with HLH disease and it is the first report of mutation in PRF1 in Iranian patients with this disease. ..
- Zeine R, Pon R, Ladiwala U, Antel J, Filion L, Freedman M. Mechanism of gammadelta T cell-induced human oligodendrocyte cytotoxicity: relevance to multiple sclerosis. J Neuroimmunol. 1998;87:49-61 pubmed..The use of Ca2+-free media reduced lysis by up to 50%, but fully blocking gammadelta T cell Perforin release and function by either Ca2+ chelation (Mg2EGTA) or the H+-ATPase inhibitor Concanamycin-A (CMA), ..
- Ribeiro A, Laranjeira P, Mendes S, Velada I, Leite C, Andrade P, et al. Mesenchymal stem cells from umbilical cord matrix, adipose tissue and bone marrow exhibit different capability to suppress peripheral blood B, natural killer and T cells. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2013;4:125 pubmed publisher..FoxP3), T-bet and GATA binding protein 3 (GATA3), on purified T cells, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-?), perforin and granzyme B on purified NK cells...
- Fast L. Recipient CD8+ cells are responsible for the rapid elimination of allogeneic donor lymphoid cells. J Immunol. 1996;157:4805-10 pubmed..The perforin pathway was the predominant pathway used by the recipient CD8+ cells to mediate this elimination.
- Stepp S, Dufourcq Lagelouse R, Kumar V. Pillars article: Perforin gene defects in familial hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. Science. 1999. 286: 1957-1959. J Immunol. 2015;194:5044-6 pubmed
- Pellegatta S, Valletta L, Corbetta C, PatanÃ¨ M, Zucca I, Riccardi Sirtori F, et al. Effective immuno-targeting of the IDH1 mutation R132H in a murine model of intracranial glioma. Acta Neuropathol Commun. 2015;3:4 pubmed publisher..Immunizations led to intratumoral up-regulation of IFN-Î³, granzyme-b and perforin-1 and down-regulation of TGF-Î²2 and IL-10...
- Elgizouli M, Logan C, Grychtol R, Rothenbacher D, Nieters A, Heinzmann A. Reduced PRF1 enhancer methylation in children with a history of severe RSV bronchiolitis in infancy: an association study. BMC Pediatr. 2017;17:65 pubmed publisher..In this study we investigated the association between DNA methylation patterns in the perforin gene (PRF1) in childhood and a history of hospitalisation for severe RSV disease in the first two years of life...
- Fischer B, Muller B, Fischer K, Baur N, Kreutz W. Acidic pH inhibits non-MHC-restricted killer cell functions. Clin Immunol. 2000;96:252-63 pubmed..Both populations are able to kill tumor cells in a MHC-independent manner via perforin/granzymes or TNFalpha, whereas only IL-2-activated cells can use the killing pathway via Fas/FasL...