Genomes and Genes
epithelial sodium channels
Summary: Sodium channels found on salt-reabsorbing EPITHELIAL CELLS that line the distal NEPHRON; the distal COLON; SALIVARY DUCTS; SWEAT GLANDS; and the LUNG. They are AMILORIDE-sensitive and play a critical role in the control of sodium balance, BLOOD VOLUME, and BLOOD PRESSURE.
- Zhou X, Packialakshmi B, Xiao Y, Nurmukhambetova S, Lees J. Progression of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis is associated with up-regulation of major sodium transporters in the mouse kidney cortex under a normal salt diet. Cell Immunol. 2017;317:18-25 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that EAE progression increases Na absorption by the renal cortex. ..
- Grimm P, Coleman R, Delpire E, Welling P. Constitutively Active SPAK Causes Hyperkalemia by Activating NCC and Remodeling Distal Tubules. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017;28:2597-2606 pubmed publisher..Instead, a DCT-ASDN coupling process controls potassium balance in health and becomes aberrantly activated in FHHt. ..
- Shi S, Buck T, Kinlough C, Marciszyn A, Hughey R, Chalfie M, et al. Regulation of the epithelial Na+ channel by paraoxonase-2. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:15927-15938 pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest that PON-2 regulates ENaC activity by modulating its intracellular trafficking and surface expression. ..
- Tarjus A, Maase M, Jeggle P, Martínez Martínez E, Fassot C, Loufrani L, et al. The endothelial ?ENaC contributes to vascular endothelial function in vivo. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0185319 pubmed publisher..In endo-?ENaC KO mice, compensatory mechanisms occurred and steady state vascular function was not altered except for flow-mediated dilation. Our data suggest that endothelial ?ENaC contributes to vascular endothelial function in vivo. ..
- Lewis B, Sultana R, Sharma R, Noël A, Langohr I, Patial S, et al. Early Postnatal Secondhand Smoke Exposure Disrupts Bacterial Clearance and Abolishes Immune Responses in Muco-Obstructive Lung Disease. J Immunol. 2017;199:1170-1183 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that household smoking may predispose neonates with muco-obstructive lung disease to bacterial exacerbations. ..
- Scott D, Walker M, Sesma J, Wu B, Stuhlmiller T, Sabater J, et al. SPX-101 Is a Novel Epithelial Sodium Channel-targeted Therapeutic for Cystic Fibrosis That Restores Mucus Transport. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017;196:734-744 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that SPX-101 promotes durable reduction of ENaC membrane concentration, leading to significant improvements in mucus transport. ..
- Belviso S, Iuliano R, Amato R, Perrotti N, Menniti M. The human asparaginase enzyme (ASPG) inhibits growth in leukemic cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178174 pubmed publisher..Taken together our data suggest that ASPG, combining different enzymatic activities, should be considered a promising anti-cancer agent for inhibiting the growth of leukemia cells. ..
- Wang L, Song J, Wang S, Buggs J, Chen R, Zhang J, et al. Cross-sex transplantation alters gene expression and enhances inflammatory response in the transplanted kidneys. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2017;313:F326-F338 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, cross-sex-KTX alters gene expression levels and induces inflammatory responses, which might play an important role in long-term graft function. ..