Genomes and Genes
large conductance calcium activated potassium channel beta subunits
Summary: The regulatory subunits of large-conductance calcium-activated potassium channels.
- Asano S, Tune J, Dick G. Bisphenol A activates Maxi-K (K(Ca)1.1) channels in coronary smooth muscle. Br J Pharmacol. 2010;160:160-70 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that BPA increased the activity of Maxi-K channels and may represent a basis for some potential toxicological effects. ..
- Bautista L, Castro M, Lopez Barneo J, Castellano A. Hypoxia inducible factor-2alpha stabilization and maxi-K+ channel beta1-subunit gene repression by hypoxia in cardiac myocytes: role in preconditioning. Circ Res. 2009;104:1364-72 pubmed publisher..Our work provides new perspectives for research on cardiac preconditioning. ..
- Köhler R. Single-nucleotide polymorphisms in vascular Ca2+-activated K+-channel genes and cardiovascular disease. Pflugers Arch. 2010;460:343-51 pubmed publisher..These findings from sequence analysis of human KCa genes, and epidemiological studies thus provide evidence that genetic variations and mutations in KCa channel genes contribute to human cardiovascular disease. ..
- Bukiya A, Vaithianathan T, Toro L, Dopico A. Channel beta2-4 subunits fail to substitute for beta1 in sensitizing BK channels to lithocholate. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;390:995-1000 pubmed publisher..Our study indicates that LC represents a unique tool to probe the presence of functional beta1-subunits and selectively activate BK channels in tissues that highly express KCNMB1. ..
- Bukiya A, Liu J, Dopico A. The BK channel accessory beta1 subunit determines alcohol-induced cerebrovascular constriction. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:2779-84 pubmed publisher..Knocking-down KCNMB1 suppresses EtOH-reduction of arterial myocyte BK current and vessel diameter. Therefore, BK beta(1) is the molecular effector of alcohol-induced BK current inhibition and cerebrovascular constriction. ..
- Chang T, Wu L, Wang R. Altered expression of BK channel beta1 subunit in vascular tissues from spontaneously hypertensive rats. Am J Hypertens. 2006;19:678-85 pubmed..Expression of BK beta1 in mesenteric arteries is closely correlated with BP in SHR. Increased BK beta1 expression in mesenteric arteries may represent a compensatory reaction to limit the development of hypertension. ..
- Grimm P, Irsik D, Liu L, Holtzclaw J, Sansom S. Role of BKbeta1 in Na+ reabsorption by cortical collecting ducts of Na+-deprived mice. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2009;297:F420-8 pubmed publisher..We conclude that part of the mechanism to maximize Na(+) reabsorption during Na(+) deficiency is the placement of BKalpha/beta1 channels in the BSM of CCD PCs...
- Chen M, Petkov G. Identification of large conductance calcium activated potassium channel accessory beta4 subunit in rat and mouse bladder smooth muscle. J Urol. 2009;182:374-81 pubmed publisher..New drugs targeting specific BK channel subunits in human bladder smooth muscle may prove useful for overactive bladder. ..
- Chang S, Gomes C, Hypolite J, Marx J, Alanzi J, Zderic S, et al. Detrusor overactivity is associated with downregulation of large-conductance calcium- and voltage-activated potassium channel protein. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010;298:F1416-23 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, downregulation of the BK channel may contribute to DO by increasing the basal level of MLC(20) phosphorylation. ..
- Wynne P, Puig S, Martin G, Treistman S. Compartmentalized beta subunit distribution determines characteristics and ethanol sensitivity of somatic, dendritic, and terminal large-conductance calcium-activated potassium channels in the rat central nervous system. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2009;329:978-86 pubmed publisher..This hypothesis is supported immunohistochemically by the appearance of distinct punctate beta1 or beta4 channel clusters in the membrane of somatic and dendritic or nerve terminal compartments, respectively. ..
- LE SOUEF P. Gene-environmental interaction in the development of atopic asthma: new developments. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009;9:123-7 pubmed publisher..Advances in knowledge of the genetics of viral defence have contributed to improved insight into asthma in children and could lead to effective new antiviral asthma therapies. ..
- Holtzclaw J, Liu L, Grimm P, Sansom S. Shear stress-induced volume decrease in C11-MDCK cells by BK-alpha/beta4. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2010;299:F507-16 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these results support the use of C11 cells as in vitro models for studying BK-related functions in IC of the kidney. ..
- Grimm P, Irsik D, Settles D, Holtzclaw J, Sansom S. Hypertension of Kcnmb1-/- is linked to deficient K secretion and aldosteronism. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:11800-5 pubmed publisher..6% K) and increased significantly more than wild type when fed the HK diet. We conclude that the majority of the hypertension of Kcnmb1(-/-) is due to aldosteronism, resulting from renal potassium retention and hyperkalemia. ..
- Xie M, Ma Y, Gao F, Bai Y, Cheng J, Chang Y, et al. Activation of BKCa channel is associated with increased apoptosis of cerebrovascular smooth muscle cells in simulated microgravity rats. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2010;298:C1489-500 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, activation of BK(Ca) channels is associated with increased apoptosis in cerebral VSMCs of simulated microgravity rats. ..
- Gao L, Cong B, Zhang L, Ni X. Expression of the calcium-activated potassium channel in upper and lower segment human myometrium during pregnancy and parturition. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2009;7:27 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that expression of BKCa alpha- and beta-subunit in pregnant myometrium is reduced during labour, which is consistent with the myometrial activity at the onset of parturition. ..
- Wulf H, Hay Schmidt A, Poulsen A, Klaerke D, Olesen J, Jansen Olesen I. Molecular investigations of BK(Ca) channels and the modulatory beta-subunits in porcine basilar and middle cerebral arteries. J Mol Histol. 2009;40:87-97 pubmed publisher..The mRNA transcript for beta1-, beta2- and beta4-subunit were shown by RT-PCR in porcine basilar and middle cerebral arteries. However, at the protein level, only, the beta1-subunit protein was found by western blotting. ..
- Foutz R, Grimm P, Sansom S. Insulin increases the activity of mesangial BK channels through MAPK signaling. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2008;294:F1465-72 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that insulin activates BK in the plasma membrane of MC and stimulates, via MAPK, an increase in cellular and plasma membrane BK-alpha. ..