Genomes and Genes
Summary: Aquaporin 5 is a water-specific channel protein that is expressed primarily in alveolar, tracheal, and upper bronchial EPITHELIUM. It plays an important role in maintaining water HOMEOSTASIS in the LUNGS and may also regulate release of SALIVA and TEARS in the SALIVARY GLANDS and the LACRIMAL GLAND.
- Ben Y, Chen J, Zhu R, Gao L, Bai C. Upregulation of AQP3 and AQP5 induced by dexamethasone and ambroxol in A549 cells. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2008;161:111-8 pubmed publisher..The data suggest potential roles of AQP3 and 5 in the regulation of airway hypersecretion, perhaps ultimately providing a target for treating such diseases...
- Zhou B, Ann D, Li X, Kim K, Lin H, Minoo P, et al. Hypertonic induction of aquaporin-5: novel role of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2007;292:C1280-90 pubmed
- Xie Y, Chen C, Wang J, Qian G, Wang Y, Xiao Z. [Experimental study on the expression and function of aquaporin-1 and aquaporin-5 in rats with acute lung injury induced by lipopolysaccharide]. Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi. 2005;28:385-9 pubmed..794 +/- 0.015, 0.787 +/- 0.022; all P < 0.01). AQP-1 and AQP-5 may play a role in abnormal fluid transportation and probably involve in the formation of pulmonary edema in ALI/ARDS. ..
- Gresz V, Kwon T, Gong H, Agre P, Steward M, King L, et al. Immunolocalization of AQP-5 in rat parotid and submandibular salivary glands after stimulation or inhibition of secretion in vivo. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2004;287:G151-61 pubmed
- Yamamura Y, Motegi K, Kani K, Takano H, Momota Y, Aota K, et al. TNF-? inhibits aquaporin 5 expression in human salivary gland acinar cells via suppression of histone H4 acetylation. J Cell Mol Med. 2012;16:1766-75 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results may indicate that TNF-? inhibition of AQP5 expression in human salivary gland acinar cells is due to the epigenetic mechanism by suppression of acetylation of histone H4. ..
- Yan C, Yang J, Shen L, Chen X. Inhibitory effect of Epigallocatechin gallate on ovarian cancer cell proliferation associated with aquaporin 5 expression. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2012;285:459-67 pubmed publisherAbnormal expression of aquaporin 5 (AQP5) is associated with ovarian cancer infiltration, metastasis and angiogenesis. AQP 5 expression and apoptosis have been shown to be closely related to nuclear transcription factor NF-?B...
- Richard C, Gao J, Brown N, Reese J. Aquaporin water channel genes are differentially expressed and regulated by ovarian steroids during the periimplantation period in the mouse. Endocrinology. 2003;144:1533-41 pubmed..Collectively, these results suggest that members of the AQP family are involved in embryo and uterine fluid homeostasis during implantation. ..
- Gabazza E, Kasper M, Ohta K, Keane M, D Alessandro Gabazza C, Fujimoto H, et al. Decreased expression of aquaporin-5 in bleomycin-induced lung fibrosis in the mouse. Pathol Int. 2004;54:774-80 pubmed..The results of this study showed, for the first time, that chronic lung injury and lung fibrosis is associated with decreased protein and mRNA expression of aquaporin-5 in the lung. ..
- Adamzik M, Frey U, Bitzer K, Jakob H, Baba H, Schmieder R, et al. A novel-1364A/C aquaporin 5 gene promoter polymorphism influences the responses to salt loading of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system and of blood pressure in young healthy men. Basic Res Cardiol. 2008;103:598-610 pubmed publisher
- Woo J, Lee J, Chae Y, Kim M, Baek J, Park J, et al. Overexpression of AQP5, a putative oncogene, promotes cell growth and transformation. Cancer Lett. 2008;264:54-62 pubmed publisher..These findings altogether indicate that hAQP5 plays an important role in human carcinogenesis and, furthermore, provide an attractive therapeutic target. ..
- Ishikawa Y, Skowronski M, Ishida H. Persistent increase in the amount of aquaporin-5 in the apical plasma membrane of rat parotid acinar cells induced by a muscarinic agonist SNI-2011. FEBS Lett. 2000;477:253-7 pubmed..SNI-2011 induces long-lasting oscillations of [Ca(2+)](i) in the presence of extracellular Ca(2+). Thus, SNI-2011 induces a long-lasting translocation of AQP5 to APMs coupled with persistent [Ca(2+)](i) oscillations. ..
- Kreda S, Gynn M, Fenstermacher D, Boucher R, Gabriel S. Expression and localization of epithelial aquaporins in the adult human lung. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2001;24:224-34 pubmed..This study describes an intricate network of AQP expression that mediates water transport across the human airway epithelium. ..
- Matsuzaki T, Ablimit A, Suzuki T, Aoki T, Hagiwara H, Takata K. Changes of aquaporin 5-distribution during release and reaccumulation of secretory granules in isoproterenol-treated mouse parotid gland. J Electron Microsc (Tokyo). 2006;55:183-9 pubmedWater channel aquaporin 5 (AQP5) is present in the apical membrane of the salivary gland acinar cells...
- Shillingford J, Miyoshi K, Robinson G, Bierie B, Cao Y, Karin M, et al. Proteotyping of mammary tissue from transgenic and gene knockout mice with immunohistochemical markers: a tool to define developmental lesions. J Histochem Cytochem. 2003;51:555-65 pubmed..We propose that the technique of proteotyping will have wide applications in the analyses of defects in other mouse models. ..
- Lee M, Bhakta K, Raina S, Yonescu R, Griffin C, Copeland N, et al. The human Aquaporin-5 gene. Molecular characterization and chromosomal localization. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:8599-604 pubmed..The mouse gene localized to distal chromosome 15. This information may permit molecular characterization of AQP5 expression during normal development and in clinical disorders. ..
- Sidhaye V, Schweitzer K, Caterina M, Shimoda L, King L. Shear stress regulates aquaporin-5 and airway epithelial barrier function. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:3345-50 pubmed publisher..These findings have direct relevance to the regulation of epithelial barrier function, membrane permeability, and water homeostasis in the respiratory epithelia. ..
- Konttinen Y, Tensing E, Laine M, Porola P, Tornwall J, Hukkanen M. Abnormal distribution of aquaporin-5 in salivary glands in the NOD mouse model for Sjögren's syndrome. J Rheumatol. 2005;32:1071-5 pubmed
- Wellner R, Hong S, Cotrim A, Swaim W, Baum B. Modifying the NH2 and COOH termini of aquaporin-5: effects on localization in polarized epithelial cells. Tissue Eng. 2005;11:1449-58 pubmed
- Sekine S, Shimada Y, Nagata T, Moriyama M, Omura T, Watanabe T, et al. Prognostic significance of aquaporins in human biliary tract carcinoma. Oncol Rep. 2012;27:1741-7 pubmed publisher..033, 0.002). In conclusion, the results of this study suggest that AQP-5 expression may be associated with prognosis and drug sensitivity in biliary tract carcinoma. ..
- Eberhardt C, Amann B, Feuchtinger A, Hauck S, Deeg C. Differential expression of inwardly rectifying K+ channels and aquaporins 4 and 5 in autoimmune uveitis indicates misbalance in Müller glial cell-dependent ion and water homeostasis. Glia. 2011;59:697-707 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, AQP5 was significantly decreased in uveitis. We conclude that the Müller cell response in autoimmune uveitis implies considerable changes in its potassium and water physiology. ..
- Shen Y, Chen Z, Wang Y, Song Z, Zhang Z, Jin M, et al. Aquaporin 5 expression inhibited by LPS via p38/JNK signaling pathways in SPC-A1 cells. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2010;171:212-7 pubmed publisher..Recent studies suggest that decreased aquaporin 5 (AQP5) is correlated with increased staining of MUC5AC in submucosal glands of COPD patients...
- Jang A, Lee J, Choi I, Park K, Lee J, Park S, et al. Expression of nitric oxide synthase, aquaporin 1 and aquaporin 5 in rat after bleomycin inhalation. Intensive Care Med. 2004;30:489-95 pubmed..in expression of inducible NOS (iNOS), neuronal NOS (nNOS), endothelial NOS (eNOS), aquaporin 1 (AQP1) and aquaporin 5 (AQP5) over time by Western blot...
- Ohashi Y, Tsuzaka K, Takeuchi T, Sasaki Y, Tsubota K. Altered distribution of aquaporin 5 and its C-terminal binding protein in the lacrimal glands of a mouse model for Sjögren's syndrome. Curr Eye Res. 2008;33:621-9 pubmed publisherTo investigate the distribution and expression of aquaporin 5 (AQP5) and its C-terminal binding protein in the apical membrane of the lacrimal glands (LGs) in a mouse model for Sjogren's syndrome (SS)...
- Woo J, Chae Y, Jang S, Kim M, Baek J, Park J, et al. Membrane trafficking of AQP5 and cAMP dependent phosphorylation in bronchial epithelium. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;366:321-7 pubmed..We conclude that AQP5 membrane targeting can include more than one mechanism besides cAMP dependent phosphorylation. ..
- Waterman S, Beroukas D, Hiscock J, Jonsson R, Gordon T. Aquaporins in primary Sjögren's syndrome: comment on the articles by Steinfeld et al. Arthritis Rheum. 2003;48:1167-8 pubmed
- Mizumachi Kubono M, Watari I, Ishida Y, Ono T. Unilateral maxillary molar extraction influences AQP5 expression and distribution in the rat submandibular salivary gland. Arch Oral Biol. 2012;57:877-83 pubmed publisher..b>Aquaporin 5 (AQP5) is a membrane protein that forms water channels, and plays an important role in water transport...
- Kabashima K, Shimauchi T, Kobayashi M, Fukamachi S, Kawakami C, Ogata M, et al. Aberrant aquaporin 5 expression in the sweat gland in aquagenic wrinkling of the palms. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2008;59:S28-32 pubmed publisher..Immunohistochemically, while aquaporin 5 (AQP5), one of the water channel AQP families, was present exclusively in the dark cells of sweat glands of ..
- Borok Z, Lubman R, Danto S, Zhang X, Zabski S, King L, et al. Keratinocyte growth factor modulates alveolar epithelial cell phenotype in vitro: expression of aquaporin 5. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 1998;18:554-61 pubmed..KGF on cell morphology, expression of surfactant apoproteins A, B, and C (SP-A, -B, and -C), and expression of aquaporin 5 (AQP5), a water channel present in situ on the apical surface of alveolar type I (AT1) cells but not expressed ..
- Zhang Z, Chen Z, Song Y, Zhang P, Hu J, Bai C. Expression of aquaporin 5 increases proliferation and metastasis potential of lung cancer. J Pathol. 2010;221:210-20 pubmed publisherWater channel aquaporin 5 (AQP5) is highly expressed at the apical membrane of alveolar type I epithelial cells and confers high osmotic water permeability. AQP5 is also expressed in lung cancer tissue...
- Dong C, Wang G, Li B, Xiao K, Ma Z, Huang H, et al. Anti-asthmatic agents alleviate pulmonary edema by upregulating AQP1 and AQP5 expression in the lungs of mice with OVA-induced asthma. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2012;181:21-8 pubmed publisher..Anti-asthmatic agents could alleviate pulmonary edema through upregulating the expression of AQP1 and AQP5 in mouse lungs that have OVA-induced asthma. ..
- Yang F, Kawedia J, Menon A. Cyclic AMP regulates aquaporin 5 expression at both transcriptional and post-transcriptional levels through a protein kinase A pathway. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:32173-80 pubmedThe membrane water channel aquaporin 5 (AQP5) plays an important role in transporting water across the apical surface of the alveolar epithelium and the epithelia of submucosal glands in the upper airway and nasopharynx...
- Moon C, Soria J, Jang S, Lee J, Obaidul Hoque M, Sibony M, et al. Involvement of aquaporins in colorectal carcinogenesis. Oncogene. 2003;22:6699-703 pubmed..These novel observations suggest that multiple AQP expression may be advantageous to tumorigenesis, which may lead to a better understanding of colorectal carcinogenesis. ..
- Zhang Z, Zhu Z, Bai C, Chen Z. Aquaporin 5 expression increases mucin production in lung adenocarcinoma. Oncol Rep. 2011;25:1645-50 pubmed publisher..In brief, our results provide evidence that mucin production induced by AQP5 expression may play important roles in enhanced metastasis potential in lung adenocarcinoma. ..
- Krane C, Fortner C, Hand A, McGraw D, Lorenz J, Wert S, et al. Aquaporin 5-deficient mouse lungs are hyperresponsive to cholinergic stimulation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:14114-9 pubmedAlthough aquaporin 5 (AQP5) is the major water channel expressed in alveolar type I cells in the lung, its actual role in the lung is a matter of considerable speculation...
- Yao C, Purwanti N, Karabasil M, Azlina A, Javkhlan P, Hasegawa T, et al. Potential down-regulation of salivary gland AQP5 by LPS via cross-coupling of NF-kappaB and p-c-Jun/c-Fos. Am J Pathol. 2010;177:724-34 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that LPS-induced potential down-regulation of expression of AQP5 mRNA in the parotid gland is mediated via a complex(es) of these two classes of transcription factors, NF-kappaB and p-c-Jun/c-Fos. ..
- Krane C, Towne J, Menon A. Cloning and characterization of murine Aqp5: evidence for a conserved aquaporin gene cluster. Mamm Genome. 1999;10:498-505 pubmedb>Aquaporin 5 (Aqp5), a member of the aquaporin family of membrane water channels, is thought to modulate the osmolality of fluids in the eye, lung, and salivary gland...
- Ma T, Fukuda N, Song Y, Matthay M, Verkman A. Lung fluid transport in aquaporin-5 knockout mice. J Clin Invest. 2000;105:93-100 pubmed..The unimpaired alveolar fluid clearance in AQP5-null mice indicates that high alveolar water permeability is not required for active, near-isosmolar fluid transport. ..
- Ma T, Song Y, Gillespie A, Carlson E, Epstein C, Verkman A. Defective secretion of saliva in transgenic mice lacking aquaporin-5 water channels. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:20071-4 pubmed..These results implicate a key role for AQP5 in saliva fluid secretion and provide direct evidence that high epithelial cell membrane water permeability is required for active, near-isosmolar fluid transport. ..
- Song Y, Fukuda N, Bai C, Ma T, Matthay M, Verkman A. Role of aquaporins in alveolar fluid clearance in neonatal and adult lung, and in oedema formation following acute lung injury: studies in transgenic aquaporin null mice. J Physiol. 2000;525 Pt 3:771-9 pubmed
- Ishida N, Hirai S, Mita S. Immunolocalization of aquaporin homologs in mouse lacrimal glands. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1997;238:891-5 pubmed..Furthermore, the AQP5 carboxy terminus region may undergo pathophysiological modification when tear secretion is increased by pilocarpine stimulation. ..
- Lindsay L, Murphy C. Redistribution of aquaporins 1 and 5 in the rat uterus is dependent on progesterone: a study with light and electron microscopy. Reproduction. 2006;131:369-78 pubmed..Hence it is suggested that the differential gradient of AQP5 is dependent on the presence of a blastocyst, in addition to the appropriate hormonal environment. ..
- Sasaki Y, Tsubota K, Kawedia J, Menon A, Yasui M. The difference of aquaporin 5 distribution in acinar and ductal cells in lacrimal and parotid glands. Curr Eye Res. 2007;32:923-9 pubmedThis study was designed to clarify the physiological function and tissue distribution of aquaporin 5 (AQP5) in the lacrimal and parotid glands.
- Sidhaye V, Hoffert J, King L. cAMP has distinct acute and chronic effects on aquaporin-5 in lung epithelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:3590-6 pubmed..These studies indicate that cAMP and beta-adrenergic agonists produce distinct short and long term effects on AQP5 distribution and abundance that may contribute to regulation of lung water homeostasis. ..
- Wang K, Feng Y, Wen F, Chen X, Ou X, Xu D, et al. Decreased expression of human aquaporin-5 correlated with mucus overproduction in airways of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2007;28:1166-74 pubmed..01). The attenuated gene expression of AQP5 existed in the airways of Chinese COPD patients, which was complicated by mucus hypersecretion. The decreased expression of AQP5 mRNA may be related to the severity of airflow obstruction. ..
- Yang J, Shi Y, Cheng Q, Deng L. Expression and localization of aquaporin-5 in the epithelial ovarian tumors. Gynecol Oncol. 2006;100:294-9 pubmed..05). The data suggest that overexpression of AQP5 play an important role in tumorigenesis of epithelial ovarian tumors, which may be related to the ascites formation of ovarian carcinoma. ..
- Ishikawa Y, Eguchi T, Skowronski M, Ishida H. Acetylcholine acts on M3 muscarinic receptors and induces the translocation of aquaporin5 water channel via cytosolic Ca2+ elevation in rat parotid glands. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998;245:835-40 pubmed..These results indicated that ACh acted on M3 muscarinic receptors and induced the translocation of AQP5 between ICM and APM, and that the cytosolic Ca2+ elevation by ACh may play a key role in this translocation in rat parotid glands. ..
- Zhang Z, Song Y, Chen Z, Shen Y, Bai C. Deletion of aquaporin 5 aggravates acute lung injury induced by Pseudomonas aeruginosa. J Trauma. 2011;71:1305-11 pubmed publisherAquaporin (AQP) is a membrane protein that facilitates osmotic water transport. Aquaporin 5 (AQP5) expresses at type I alveolar epithelia of apical membrane that confers high osmotic water permeability...
- Song Y, Sonawane N, Verkman A. Localization of aquaporin-5 in sweat glands and functional analysis using knockout mice. J Physiol. 2002;541:561-8 pubmed..These results indicate the expression of AQP5 in sweat gland secretory epithelium, but provide direct evidence against its physiological involvement in sweat fluid secretion in mice...
- Levin M, Verkman A. Aquaporin-dependent water permeation at the mouse ocular surface: in vivo microfluorimetric measurements in cornea and conjunctiva. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2004;45:4423-32 pubmed..The permeability data were incorporated into a mathematical model of tear film osmolarity, providing insights into the pathophysiology of dry eye disorders. ..
- Shen Y, Wang Y, Chen Z, Wang D, Wang X, Jin M, et al. Role of aquaporin 5 in antigen-induced airway inflammation and mucous hyperproduction in mice. J Cell Mol Med. 2011;15:1355-63 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results implicate involvement of AQP5 in the development of airway inflammation and mucous hyperproduction during chronic asthma. ..