Genomes and Genes
fas ligand protein
Summary: A transmembrane protein belonging to the tumor necrosis factor superfamily that was originally discovered on cells of the lymphoid-myeloid lineage, including activated T-LYMPHOCYTES and NATURAL KILLER CELLS. It plays an important role in immune homeostasis and cell-mediated toxicity by binding to the FAS RECEPTOR and triggering APOPTOSIS.
- Sata M, Perlman H, Muruve D, Silver M, Ikebe M, Libermann T, et al. Fas ligand gene transfer to the vessel wall inhibits neointima formation and overrides the adenovirus-mediated T cell response. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:1213-7 pubmed..These data demonstrate that Fas ligand gene transfer can effectively inhibit injury-induced vessel lesion formation and can allow adenovirus-harboring cells to evade immune destruction. ..
- Qiu M, Chen Y, Chen L, Zeng J, Liu J. Transforming growth factor ?1 and Fas ligand synergistically enhance immune tolerance in dendritic cells in liver transplantation. J Surg Res. 2017;218:180-193 pubmed publisher..In this study, using a rat model of liver transplantation, we determined whether cotransfection of transforming growth factor ?1 (TGF-?1) and Fas ligand (FasL) in imDCs synergistically enhances immune tolerance...
- Nabhani S, Schipp C, Miskin H, Levin C, Postovsky S, Dujovny T, et al. STAT3 gain-of-function mutations associated with autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndrome like disease deregulate lymphocyte apoptosis and can be targeted by BH3 mimetic compounds. Clin Immunol. 2017;181:32-42 pubmed publisher..Importantly, STAT3-mutant cells were more sensitive to death induced by the BCL2-inhibitor ABT-737 indicating a dependence on anti-apoptotic BCL2 proteins and potential novel therapeutic options. ..
- Ozel E, Duran G, Celik M, Duran N, Gunesacar R. Fas and Fas ligand gene polymorphisms in Turkish patients with Familial Mediterranean Fever. Gene. 2017;623:29-32 pubmed publisher..844CC genotype in FMF patients may be related to delayed apoptosis of neutrophils and ultimately cause neutrophilic inflammation by increasing FASLG expression. ..
- Yoong K, Afford S, Randhawa S, Hubscher S, Adams D. Fas/Fas ligand interaction in human colorectal hepatic metastases: A mechanism of hepatocyte destruction to facilitate local tumor invasion. Am J Pathol. 1999;154:693-703 pubmed
- Bennett M, MacDonald K, Chan S, Luzio J, Simari R, Weissberg P. Cell surface trafficking of Fas: a rapid mechanism of p53-mediated apoptosis. Science. 1998;282:290-3 pubmed..In contrast, lpr and gld fibroblasts were resistant to p53-induced apoptosis. Thus, p53 can mediate apoptosis through Fas transport from cytoplasmic stores. ..
- Luo J, Wang Y, Yu B, Qian H, He Y, Shi G. A Potential of sFasL in Preventing Gland Injury in Sjogren's Syndrome. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:5981432 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we here also observed that the protective cytokine IL-10 expression was positively correlated with sFasL expression. Thus, our results here suggest a potential of sFasL in maintaining gland organ homeostasis. ..
- Mariani S, Krammer P. Differential regulation of TRAIL and CD95 ligand in transformed cells of the T and B lymphocyte lineage. Eur J Immunol. 1998;28:973-82 pubmed..Thus, even though TRAIL and CD95L share structural and functional properties, they have unique properties as they differ in their regulatory pathways, i.e. cell-type-dependent expression and sensitivity to protease inhibitors. ..
- Bustamante A, LÃ³pez Cancio E, Pich S, Penalba A, Giralt D, GarcÃa Berrocoso T, et al. Blood Biomarkers for the Early Diagnosis of Stroke: The Stroke-Chip Study. Stroke. 2017;48:2419-2425 pubmed publisher..Additional discovery of new biomarkers and improvement on laboratory techniques seem necessary for achieving a molecular diagnosis of stroke. ..
- Restifo N. Not so Fas: Re-evaluating the mechanisms of immune privilege and tumor escape. Nat Med. 2000;6:493-5 pubmed
- Okada K, Komuta K, Hashimoto S, Matsuzaki S, Kanematsu T, Koji T. Frequency of apoptosis of tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes induced by fas counterattack in human colorectal carcinoma and its correlation with prognosis. Clin Cancer Res. 2000;6:3560-4 pubmed..This tumor immune evasion induced by FasL may therefore affect the malignant potential of human colorectal carcinoma. ..
- Lee C, Zhou Y, Roy Choudhury K, Siamakpour Reihani S, Young K, Hoang P, et al. Subtype-Specific Radiation Response and Therapeutic Effect of FAS Death Receptor Modulation in Human Breast Cancer. Radiat Res. 2017;188:169-180 pubmed publisher..FAS activation concurrent with radiation slows tumor growth in the radiation-resistant subtypes, but the effect was not significant. Alternative subtype-specific modulators of radiation response are under investigation. ..
- Schwaderer J, Gaiser A, Phan T, Delgado M, Brunner T. Liver receptor homolog-1 (NR5a2) regulates CD95/Fas ligand transcription and associated T-cell effector functions. Cell Death Dis. 2017;8:e2745 pubmed publisher..In summary, these data show for the first time LRH-1 expression in T cells, its role in FASLG transcription and the potential of pharmacological inhibition of LRH-1 in the treatment of FasL-mediated immunopathologies. ..
- Poetschke H, Klug D, Walker D, Richie E. Cross-linking the TCR complex induces apoptosis in CD4+8+ thymocytes in the presence of cyclosporin A. Dev Immunol. 1996;5:1-15 pubmed
- Shiraki K, Tsuji N, Shioda T, Isselbacher K, Takahashi H. Expression of Fas ligand in liver metastases of human colonic adenocarcinomas. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:6420-5 pubmed..Furthermore, constitutive expression of FasL in hepatic metastatic tumors suggests that FasL may also be important in their colonization in the liver through induction of apoptosis in the surrounding Fas-expressing hepatocytes. ..
- Kayagaki N, Yamaguchi N, Nakayama M, Kawasaki A, Akiba H, Okumura K, et al. Involvement of TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand in human CD4+ T cell-mediated cytotoxicity. J Immunol. 1999;162:2639-47 pubmed..These results indicate a differential regulation of TRAIL and FasL expression on human CD4+ T cell clones and that TRAIL constitutes an additional pathway of T cell-mediated cytotoxicity. ..
- Le Negrate G, Selva E, Auberger P, Rossi B, Hofman P. Sustained polymorphonuclear leukocyte transmigration induces apoptosis in T84 intestinal epithelial cells. J Cell Biol. 2000;150:1479-88 pubmed..This apoptotic process appears to involve remodeling of the actin cytoskeleton of enterocytes independent of the Fas/Fas ligand pathway. ..
- MUSCHEN M, Warskulat U, Peters Regehr T, Bode J, Kubitz R, Haussinger D. Involvement of CD95 (Apo-1/Fas) ligand expressed by rat Kupffer cells in hepatic immunoregulation. Gastroenterology. 1999;116:666-77 pubmed
- Yin D, Tuthill D, Mufson R, Shi Y. Chronic restraint stress promotes lymphocyte apoptosis by modulating CD95 expression. J Exp Med. 2000;191:1423-8 pubmed..Moreover, chronic physical restraint failed to induce a decrease in lymphocyte numbers in CD95-deficient (Fas(lpr/lpr)) mice. Therefore, stress modulates the immune system through CD95-mediated apoptosis dependent on endogenous opioids. ..
- Taylor M, de Boer Brouwer M, Woolveridge I, Teerds K, Morris I. Leydig cell apoptosis after the administration of ethane dimethanesulfonate to the adult male rat is a Fas-mediated process. Endocrinology. 1999;140:3797-804 pubmed..We also investigated the role of the Fas system in Leydig cell apoptosis. Both Fas receptor and Fas ligand protein levels increased after EDS, peaking at 12-18 h and declining thereafter...
- Hohlbaum A, Moe S, Marshak Rothstein A. Opposing effects of transmembrane and soluble Fas ligand expression on inflammation and tumor cell survival. J Exp Med. 2000;191:1209-20 pubmed..However, expression of soluble FasL was not benign, but actually suppressed the inflammatory response and protected other transfectants from the effector mechanisms elicted by membrane-bound FasL. ..
- Horn S, Hughes M, Schilling R, Sticht C, Tenev T, Ploesser M, et al. Caspase-10 Negatively Regulates Caspase-8-Mediated Cell Death, Switching the Response to CD95L in Favor of NF-ÎºB Activation and Cell Survival. Cell Rep. 2017;19:785-797 pubmed publisher..Thus, our data are consistent with a model in which both caspase-10 and cFLIP coordinately regulate CD95L-mediated signaling for death or survival. ..
- Ohshima K, Shimazaki K, Kume T, Suzumiya J, Kanda M, Kikuchi M. Perforin and Fas pathways of cytotoxic T-cells in histiocytic necrotizing lymphadenitis. Histopathology. 1998;33:471-8 pubmed..As a result, both pathways seemed to induce an abundance of apoptosis and thus induce necrotizing lesions. ..
- Zhang J, Gao J, Salojin K, Shao Q, Grattan M, Meagher C, et al. Regulation of fas ligand expression during activation-induced cell death in T cells by p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase and c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase. J Exp Med. 2000;191:1017-30 pubmed..Subsequently, caspases stimulate JNK to further upregulate FasL expression. Thus, p38 MAPK and downstream JNK converge to regulate FasL expression at different times after T cell receptor stimulation to elicit maximum AICD. ..
- Yu Y, Liao L, Shao B, Su X, Shuai Y, Wang H, et al. Knockdown of MicroRNA Let-7a Improves the Functionality of Bone Marrow-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Immunotherapy. Mol Ther. 2017;25:480-493 pubmed publisher..With high safety and convenience, knockdown of let-7a is a potential strategy to improve MSC therapy for inflammatory diseases in clinic. ..
- Fischer B, Muller B, Fischer K, Baur N, Kreutz W. Acidic pH inhibits non-MHC-restricted killer cell functions. Clin Immunol. 2000;96:252-63 pubmed..Thus, an acidic microenvironment within solid tumors may contribute to the observed immunosuppression in vivo, compromising antitumoral defense and immunotherapy in general, respectively. ..
- Jeremias I, Herr I, Boehler T, Debatin K. TRAIL/Apo-2-ligand-induced apoptosis in human T cells. Eur J Immunol. 1998;28:143-52 pubmed..These data suggest that TRAIL might participate in CD95-independent apoptosis of lymphoid cells and might be involved in deregulated apoptosis in diseases such as leukemias and HIV-1 infection. ..