Genomes and Genes
Summary: Glycoproteins with a wide distribution on hematopoietic and non-hematopoietic cells and strongly expressed on MACROPHAGES. CD58 mediates cell adhesion by binding to CD2; (CD2 ANTIGENS); and this enhances antigen-specific T-cell activation.
- Kusume T, Maeda N, Izumiya C, Yamamoto Y, Hayashi K, Oguri H, et al. Human leukocyte antigen expression by peritoneal macrophages from women with pelvic endometriosis is depressed but coordinated with costimulatory molecule expression. Fertil Steril. 2005;83 Suppl 1:1232-40 pubmed..This may induce immune tolerance to implanted or metaplastic endometrial tissue. ..
- Kirby A, Lodi G, Olsen I, Porter S. Immunohistochemical and serological comparison of idiopathic and hepatitis C virus-associated forms of oral lichen planus. Eur J Oral Sci. 1998;106:853-62 pubmed..These findings show that there are some differences in the lesional and systemic immune reactivities of the two types of oral lichen planus which may be related to possibly distinct pathogenic mechanisms. ..
- Whiteway A, Corbett T, Anderson R, Macdonald I, Prentice H. Expression of co-stimulatory molecules on acute myeloid leukaemia blasts may effect duration of first remission. Br J Haematol. 2003;120:442-51 pubmed..We suggest that these molecules may play a role in immunosurveillance, resulting in prolonged remission in some patients treated for AML. ..
- Framson P, Cho D, Lee L, Hershberg R. Polarized expression and function of the costimulatory molecule CD58 on human intestinal epithelial cells. Gastroenterology. 1999;116:1054-62 pubmed..CD58 is expressed by polarized IECs in a topologically restricted manner at the region of T-cell contact and can function as a costimulatory molecule in HLA class II-mediated antigen presentation. ..
- Ariel O, Levi Y, Hollander N. Signal transduction by CD58: the transmembrane isoform transmits signals outside lipid rafts independently of the GPI-anchored isoform. Cell Signal. 2009;21:1100-8 pubmed publisher..These findings corroborate signaling outside lipid rafts, as opposed to the established notion that rafts function as essential platforms for signaling. ..
- Tsunetsugu Yokota Y, Yasuda S, Sugimoto A, Yagi T, Azuma M, Yagita H, et al. Efficient virus transmission from dendritic cells to CD4+ T cells in response to antigen depends on close contact through adhesion molecules. Virology. 1997;239:259-68 pubmed
- Picker L, Terstappen L, Rott L, Streeter P, Stein H, Butcher E. Differential expression of homing-associated adhesion molecules by T cell subsets in man. J Immunol. 1990;145:3247-55 pubmed
- Hodge J, Poole D, Aarts W, Gomez Yafal A, Gritz L, Schlom J. Modified vaccinia virus ankara recombinants are as potent as vaccinia recombinants in diversified prime and boost vaccine regimens to elicit therapeutic antitumor responses. Cancer Res. 2003;63:7942-9 pubmed
- Galea P, Lebranchu Y, Thibault G, Bardos P. Interleukin 4 and tumour necrosis factor alpha induce different adhesion pathways in endothelial cells for the binding of peripheral blood lymphocytes. Scand J Immunol. 1992;36:575-85 pubmed..In contrast, VLA-4/VCAM-1 molecules were involved in PBL adhesion both to IL-4 and to TNF-alpha-stimulated EC. Finally, we found that a CD2-dependent/LFA-3-independent adhesion pathway was mainly involved in IL-4-stimulated EC. ..
- Prefumo F, Semino C, Melioli G, Venturini P. A defective expression of ICAM-1 (CD54) on secretory endometrial cells is associated with endometriosis. Immunol Lett. 2002;80:49-53 pubmed..The defective recognition and removal of refluxed endometrial cells could, at least in part, be involved in the pathogenesis of endometriosis. ..
- Liu J, Ying J, Chow V, Hruby V, Satyanarayanajois S. Structure-activity studies of peptides from the "hot-spot" region of human CD2 protein: development of peptides for immunomodulation. J Med Chem. 2005;48:6236-49 pubmed..The designed cyclic peptides with beta-turn structure have the ability to modulate CD2-CD58 interaction. ..
- Muraro P, Leist T, Bielekova B, McFarland H. VLA-4/CD49d downregulated on primed T lymphocytes during interferon-beta therapy in multiple sclerosis. J Neuroimmunol. 2000;111:186-94 pubmed..These effects may play an important role in the reduction of central nervous system cell trafficking and inflammation in MS. ..
- Game D, Rogers N, Lechler R. Acquisition of HLA-DR and costimulatory molecules by T cells from allogeneic antigen presenting cells. Am J Transplant. 2005;5:1614-25 pubmed..Taken together, these data suggest a novel pathway for the amplification of human alloresponses. ..
- Grosenbach D, Schlom J, Gritz L, Gomez Yafal A, Hodge J. A recombinant vector expressing transgenes for four T-cell costimulatory molecules (OX40L, B7-1, ICAM-1, LFA-3) induces sustained CD4+ and CD8+ T-cell activation, protection from apoptosis, and enhanced cytokine production. Cell Immunol. 2003;222:45-57 pubmed
- Gulley J, Arlen P, Tsang K, Yokokawa J, Palena C, Poole D, et al. Pilot study of vaccination with recombinant CEA-MUC-1-TRICOM poxviral-based vaccines in patients with metastatic carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:3060-9 pubmed publisher..Further trials with this agent, either alone or in combination with immunopotentiating and other therapeutic agents, are warranted. ..
- Kingsmore S, Watson M, Moseley W, Seldin M. Physical linkage of genes encoding the lymphocyte adhesion molecules CD2 and its ligand LFA-3. Immunogenetics. 1989;30:123-5 pubmed
- Shoji Hosaka E, Kobayashi Y, Wakitani M, Uchida K, Niwa R, Nakamura K, et al. Enhanced Fc-dependent cellular cytotoxicity of Fc fusion proteins derived from TNF receptor II and LFA-3 by fucose removal from Asn-linked oligosaccharides. J Biochem. 2006;140:777-83 pubmed..These results prove that enhancement of Fc dependent cellular cytotoxicity by fucose-removal is effective in not only whole IgG but also Fc fusion proteins, and thus widens the potential of Fc-fusion proteins as therapeutic candidates. ..
- Yang S, Hodge J, Grosenbach D, Schlom J. Vaccines with enhanced costimulation maintain high avidity memory CTL. J Immunol. 2005;175:3715-23 pubmed..These studies thus have implications in the design of more effective vaccine strategies. ..
- Crawford K, Stark A, Kitchens B, Sternheim K, Pantazopoulos V, Triantafellow E, et al. CD2 engagement induces dendritic cell activation: implications for immune surveillance and T-cell activation. Blood. 2003;102:1745-52 pubmed..Collectively, our results suggest another role of the CD2-CD58 pathway that allows nonimmune and immune cells to interact directly with dendritic cells and initiate innate and adaptive immune responses. ..
- Xu C, Zhao H, Jiang L, Yuan X, Li L, Tang J, et al. [Prognostic significance of lymphocyte function associated anti-gen-3 (CD58) in childhood B cell-acute lymphocytic leukemia]. Zhongguo Shi Yan Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi. 2006;14:717-21 pubmed..The CD58 over expression may be considered as a marker of a favorable prognosis in childhood B-ALL. ..
- Trübner M, Glander H, Schaller J. Localization of adhesion molecules on human spermatozoa by fluorescence microscopy. Andrologia. 1997;29:253-60 pubmed..The localization of fibronectin appeared to be influenced by the presence of integrins: the typical equatorial fibronectin band disappeared in case of an equatorial localization of integrins. ..
- Joucher F, Mazmanian G, German Fattal M. E-selectin early overexpression induced by allogeneic activation in isolated mouse lung. Transplantation. 2004;78:1283-9 pubmed..In conclusion, in our physiologic model, the E-selectin highly participates in the loose adhesion of allogeneic lymphocytes and in the early activation of endothelial cell and therefore in structural and functional lung alterations. ..
- Mukherjee J, Ghosh A, Ghosh A, Chaudhuri S. ENU administration causes genomic instability along with single nucleotide polymorphisms in p53 during gliomagenesis: T11TS administration demonstrated in vivo apoptosis of these genetically altered tumor cells. Cancer Biol Ther. 2006;5:156-64 pubmed..Whereas, T11TS/S-LFA3 demonstrated the potential to induce apoptosis of these tumor cells even when p53 is mutated and thus showed its immense potential to be an anti-neoplastic probe against p53 mutated diverse types of tumors. ..
- Mukherjee J, Ghosh A, Sarkar P, Mazumdar M, Banerjee C, Chaudhuri S. Immunotherapy with T11TS / S-LFA-3 specifically induces apoptosis of brain tumor cells by augmenting intracranial immune status. Anticancer Res. 2005;25:2905-19 pubmed..Apoptosis of BIL and Mg, that occurred to a much lower level, can be explained in terms of changes in the neural immune system before and after T11TS application. ..
- Cao E, Ramagopal U, Fedorov A, Fedorov E, Yan Q, Lary J, et al. NTB-A receptor crystal structure: insights into homophilic interactions in the signaling lymphocytic activation molecule receptor family. Immunity. 2006;25:559-70 pubmed
- Shen A, Yang H, Zhou Y, Chase A, Boyer J, Zhang H, et al. Novel pathway for induction of latent virus from resting CD4(+) T cells in the simian immunodeficiency virus/macaque model of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 latency. J Virol. 2007;81:1660-70 pubmed..This is the first demonstration that costimulatory signals can induce latent virus without the coengagement of the T-cell receptor, and this study might provide insights into potential pathways to target latent HIV-1. ..
- Jørgensen P, Wang J, Almlöf M, Thiemermann C, Foster S, Solberg R, et al. Peptidoglycan and lipoteichoic acid modify monocyte phenotype in human whole blood. Clin Diagn Lab Immunol. 2001;8:515-21 pubmed..The results suggest that PepG and LPS provoke partly different responses on monocyte phenotype and that CD14 may play different roles in the innate response to gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. ..
- Zhu M, Terasawa H, Gulley J, Panicali D, Arlen P, Schlom J, et al. Enhanced activation of human T cells via avipox vector-mediated hyperexpression of a triad of costimulatory molecules in human dendritic cells. Cancer Res. 2001;61:3725-34 pubmed..The use of this approach for in vitro studies and clinical applications in immunotherapy is discussed. ..
- Wakkach A, Chastre E, Bruand C, Cohen Kaminsky S, Emami S, Gespach C, et al. Phenotypic and functional characterization of human thymic stromal cell lines. Cell Mol Biol (Noisy-le-grand). 2001;47:167-78 pubmed..Altogether, these results reveal phenotypic and functional differences between these two stromal cell types, suggesting a potential involvement of myoid cells in the thymic function. ..
- Lopez R, Waller E, Lu P, Negrin R. CD58/LFA-3 and IL-12 provided by activated monocytes are critical in the in vitro expansion of CD56+ T cells. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2001;49:629-40 pubmed..The biological and therapeutic implications of these findings are discussed. ..
- Yang S, Schlom J. Antigen-presenting cells containing multiple costimulatory molecules promote activation and expansion of human antigen-specific memory CD8+ T cells. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2009;58:503-15 pubmed publisher..Results indicated that enhanced costimulation greatly expanded human CEA-specific CD8(+) T cells and enhanced T-cell function, without inducing increased apoptosis of CEA-specific memory CD8(+) T cells. ..
- Ikemizu S, Sparks L, van der Merwe P, Harlos K, Stuart D, Jones E, et al. Crystal structure of the CD2-binding domain of CD58 (lymphocyte function-associated antigen 3) at 1.8-A resolution. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:4289-94 pubmed
- Southern S, Southern P. Persistent HTLV-I infection of breast luminal epithelial cells: a role in HTLV transmission?. Virology. 1998;241:200-14 pubmed..Our results suggest that infected epithelial cells could be involved in the persistence and transmission of virus infection in HTLV-I carriers. ..
- Bishop G, Hall B. Expression of leucocyte and lymphocyte adhesion molecules in the human kidney. Kidney Int. 1989;36:1078-85 pubmed..The importance of LFA-2 and ICAM-1 expression on kidney tubular cells for adhesion of activated T cells was also examined in an in vitro system.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Sheng L, Li J, Qi B, Ji Y, Meng Z, Xie M. Investigation on correlation between expression of CD58 molecule and severity of hepatitis B. World J Gastroenterol. 2006;12:4237-40 pubmed..05). Level of CD58 was related to the levels of serumal TBIL, DBIL, IBIL, ALT and AST. The level of CD58 molecule (in both serum and PBMC form) of patients with hepatitis B is related to the degree of liver damage. ..
- Smelt M, Faas M, de Haan B, Hofstede J, Cheung C, van der Iest H, et al. Rat pancreatic beta cells and cytomegalovirus infection. Pancreas. 2010;39:47-56 pubmed publisher..An infection-induced enhanced beta-cell recognizability may have important consequences for beta-cell survival and the development of diabetes or rejection of islet grafts. ..
- Häyrinen Immonen R, Malmstrom M, Nordstrom D, Sorsa T, Konttinen Y. Distribution of adhesion receptors in recurrent oral ulcers. J Oral Pathol Med. 1992;21:199-202 pubmed..1%, 70 +/- 16% and 80 +/- 1%, respectively, of all mononuclear cells. The findings indicate that LFA-1/ICAM-1 and CD2/LFA-3 interactions may play roles in cell to cell adhesion events in ROU. ..
- Kufer P, Zettl F, Borschert K, Lutterbüse R, Kischel R, Riethmuller G. Minimal costimulatory requirements for T cell priming and TH1 differentiation: activation of naive human T lymphocytes by tumor cells armed with bifunctional antibody constructs. Cancer Immun. 2001;1:10 pubmed
- Cooper L, Topp M, Serrano L, Gonzalez S, Chang W, Naranjo A, et al. T-cell clones can be rendered specific for CD19: toward the selective augmentation of the graft-versus-B-lineage leukemia effect. Blood. 2003;101:1637-44 pubmed..These preclinical observations form the basis for implementing clinical trials using donor-derived CD19-specific T-cell clones to treat or prevent relapse of B-ALL after allogeneic HSCT. ..
- Chen J, Coustan Smith E, Suzuki T, Neale G, Mihara K, Pui C, et al. Identification of novel markers for monitoring minimal residual disease in acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Blood. 2001;97:2115-20 pubmed..These results indicate that studies of gene expression with cDNA arrays can aid the discovery of leukemia markers. (Blood. 2001;97:2115-2120) ..
- Neeson P, Thurlow P, Jamieson G. Characterization of activated lymphocyte-tumor cell adhesion. J Leukoc Biol. 2000;67:847-55 pubmed
- Nonoyama S, Nakayama M, Shiohara T, Yata J. Only dull CD3+ thymocytes bind to thymic epithelial cells. The binding is elicited by both CD2/LFA-3 and LFA-1/ICAM-1 interactions. Eur J Immunol. 1989;19:1631-5 pubmed..These findings indicate that CD3dull+ cells can bind to TEC via CD2/LFA-3 and LFA-1/ICAM-1 interactions. Other cells seemed not to bind to TEC because of sialylation. ..
- Morse M, Clay T, Hobeika A, Osada T, Khan S, Chui S, et al. Phase I study of immunization with dendritic cells modified with fowlpox encoding carcinoembryonic antigen and costimulatory molecules. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;11:3017-24 pubmed..Cytokine flow cytometry showed CEA-specific immune response among both CD4(+) and CD8(+) T cells in all immune responders. This immunization strategy is safe and activates potent CEA-specific immune responses. ..
- Mukherjee J, Sarkar S, Ghosh A, Duttagupta A, Chaudhuri S, Chaudhuri S. Immunotherapeutic effects of T11TS/S-LFA3 against nitrosocompound mediated neural genotoxicity. Toxicol Lett. 2004;150:239-57 pubmed..Finally, formation of DNA ladder along with the FACS-based apoptosis study clearly indicated that T11TS is a potent apoptotic inducer in neoplastic neural cells. ..
- Khanolkar A, Fu Z, Underwood L, Bondurant K, Rochford R, Cannon M. CD4+ T cell-induced differentiation of EBV-transformed lymphoblastoid cells is associated with diminished recognition by EBV-specific CD8+ cytotoxic T cells. J Immunol. 2003;170:3187-94 pubmed..Finally, transwell cocultures, in which direct LCL-CD4(+) T cell contact was prevented, indicated a major role for CD4(+) T cell cytokines in the differentiation of LCL. ..
- Kudo Saito C, Wansley E, Gruys M, Wiltrout R, Schlom J, Hodge J. Combination therapy of an orthotopic renal cell carcinoma model using intratumoral vector-mediated costimulation and systemic interleukin-2. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13:1936-46 pubmed..These studies thus form the rationale for combination immunotherapy clinical trials in patients with RCC. ..
- Valentin H, Hamaia S, Konig S, Gazzolo L. Vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 induced by human T-cell leukaemia virus type 1 Tax protein in T-cells stimulates proliferation of human T-lymphocytes. J Gen Virol. 2001;82:831-5 pubmed..Interestingly, Rex was found to modulate these events. These data establish that VCAM-1 induced by Tax on T-cells thus contributes to the immunopathological process triggered by HTLV-1 infection. ..
- Ebert E, Panja A, Praveen R. Human intestinal intraepithelial lymphocytes and epithelial cells coinduce interleukin-8 production through the CD2-CD58 interaction. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2009;296:G671-7 pubmed publisher..In summary, the synergistic synthesis of IL-8 occurs when IELs are stimulated through the CD2 pathway by CD58 on HT-29 cells, resulting in TNF-alpha release that, in turn, augments IL-8 synthesis and CD58 expression by the HT-29 cells. ..
- Itzhaky D, Raz N, Hollander N. The glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored form and the transmembrane form of CD58 associate with protein kinases. J Immunol. 1998;160:4361-6 pubmed..Thus, these findings suggest that the capacity of GPI-anchored proteins to interact with kinases is not always dependent on the GPI anchor itself. ..
- Sayre P, Reinherz E. Structure and function of the erythrocyte receptor CD2 on human T lymphocytes: a review. Scand J Rheumatol Suppl. 1988;76:131-44 pubmed
- Nouri A, Smith M, Crosby D, Oliver R. Selective and non-selective loss of immunoregulatory molecules (HLA-A,B,C antigens and LFA-3) in transitional cell carcinoma. Br J Cancer. 1990;62:603-6 pubmed