Genomes and Genes
Summary: Glycoproteins found on the membrane or surface of cells.
- Wunderlich P, Glebov K, Kemmerling N, Tien N, Neumann H, Walter J. Sequential proteolytic processing of the triggering receptor expressed on myeloid cells-2 (TREM2) protein by ectodomain shedding and ?-secretase-dependent intramembranous cleavage. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:33027-36 pubmed publisher..Together, these data demonstrate ?-secretase-mediated intramembranous proteolysis of TREM2 and functionally link two Alzheimer disease-associated proteins in one signaling pathway. ..
- Buechler M, Teal T, Elkon K, Hamerman J. Cutting edge: Type I IFN drives emergency myelopoiesis and peripheral myeloid expansion during chronic TLR7 signaling. J Immunol. 2013;190:886-91 pubmed publisher..This study shows that type I IFN can act upon myeloid progenitors to promote the development of emergency GMP, which leads to an expansion of their progeny in the periphery...
- Stuart H, Roberts N, Burgu B, Daly S, Urquhart J, Bhaskar S, et al. LRIG2 mutations cause urofacial syndrome. Am J Hum Genet. 2013;92:259-64 pubmed publisher..LRIG2 and heparanase-2 were immunodetected in nerve fascicles growing between muscle bundles within the human fetal bladder, directly implicating both molecules in neural development in the lower urinary tract. ..
- Wang Y, Poulin E, Coffey R. LRIG1 is a triple threat: ERBB negative regulator, intestinal stem cell marker and tumour suppressor. Br J Cancer. 2013;108:1765-70 pubmed publisher..We will summarise studies of LRIG1 expression in human cancers and discuss possible related roles for LRIG2 and LRIG3. ..
- Rafidi H, Mercado F, Astudillo M, Fry W, Saldana M, Carraway K, et al. Leucine-rich repeat and immunoglobulin domain-containing protein-1 (Lrig1) negative regulatory action toward ErbB receptor tyrosine kinases is opposed by leucine-rich repeat and immunoglobulin domain-containing protein 3 (Lrig3). J Biol Chem. 2013;288:21593-605 pubmed publisher..These studies provide new insight into the regulation of Lrig1 and uncover a complex cross-talk between Lrig1 and Lrig3. ..
- Abe S, Morita Y, Kaneko M, Hanibuchi M, Tsujimoto Y, Goto H, et al. A novel targeting therapy of malignant mesothelioma using anti-podoplanin antibody. J Immunol. 2013;190:6239-49 pubmed publisher..These results strongly suggest that targeting therapy to podoplanin with therapeutic Abs (i.e., NZ-8) derived from NZ-1 might be useful as a novel immunotherapy against MPM...
- Vavassori S, Cortini M, Masui S, Sannino S, Anelli T, Caserta I, et al. A pH-regulated quality control cycle for surveillance of secretory protein assembly. Mol Cell. 2013;50:783-92 pubmed publisher..The ERp44 assembly control cycle couples secretion fidelity and efficiency downstream of the calnexin/calreticulin and BiP-dependent quality control cycles. ..
- Sheu J, Lee C, Hua C, Li C, Lai M, Lee S, et al. LRIG1 modulates aggressiveness of head and neck cancers by regulating EGFR-MAPK-SPHK1 signaling and extracellular matrix remodeling. Oncogene. 2014;33:1375-84 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest LRIG1 as a tumor suppressor for head and neck cancers; LRIG1 downregulation in cancer cells enhances EGFR-MAPK-SPHK1 signaling and ECM remodeling activity, leading to malignant phenotypes of head and neck cancers. ..
- Cady J, Koval E, Benítez B, Zaidman C, Jockel Balsarotti J, Allred P, et al. TREM2 variant p.R47H as a risk factor for sporadic amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. JAMA Neurol. 2014;71:449-53 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, these findings identify the first genetic influence on neuroinflammation in ALS and highlight the TREM2 signaling pathway as a therapeutic target in ALS and other neurodegenerative diseases. ..
- Simeonov D, Wang X, Wang C, Sergeev Y, Dolinska M, Bower M, et al. DNA variations in oculocutaneous albinism: an updated mutation list and current outstanding issues in molecular diagnostics. Hum Mutat. 2013;34:827-35 pubmed publisher..Finally, we review the TYR p.R402Q temperature-sensitive variant and confirm its association with cases of albinism with only one identifiable TYR mutation. ..
- Bauer P, Balding D, Klünemann H, Linden D, Ory D, Pineda M, et al. Genetic screening for Niemann-Pick disease type C in adults with neurological and psychiatric symptoms: findings from the ZOOM study. Hum Mol Genet. 2013;22:4349-56 pubmed publisher..Overall, the frequency of NP-C patients in this study [1.2% (95% CI; 0.3%, 3.5%)] suggests that there may be an underdiagnosed pool of NP-C patients among adults who share common neurological and psychiatric symptoms. ..
- Ranoa D, Kelley S, Tapping R. Human lipopolysaccharide-binding protein (LBP) and CD14 independently deliver triacylated lipoproteins to Toll-like receptor 1 (TLR1) and TLR2 and enhance formation of the ternary signaling complex. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:9729-41 pubmed publisher..Together, our results show that either LBP or sCD14 can drive ternary complex formation and TLR activation by acting as mobile carriers of triacylated lipopeptides or lipoproteins. ..
- Chaubey S, Jones G, Shah A, Cave A, Wells C. Nox2 is required for macrophage chemotaxis towards CSF-1. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54869 pubmed publisher..Thus Nox2 is important in BMM cellular motion to CSF-1 stimulation and necessary for their directed migration towards a CSF-1 gradient, highlighting Nox2 dependent signalling as a potential anti-inflammatory target. ..
- Werner H, Krämer Albers E, Strenzke N, Saher G, Tenzer S, Ohno Iwashita Y, et al. A critical role for the cholesterol-associated proteolipids PLP and M6B in myelination of the central nervous system. Glia. 2013;61:567-86 pubmed publisher..However, M6B is not efficiently sorted into mature myelin, in which it is 200-fold less abundant than PLP. Thus, only PLP contributes to the high cholesterol content of myelin by association and co-transport. ..
- Johnson B, Selle K, O Flaherty S, Goh Y, Klaenhammer T. Identification of extracellular surface-layer associated proteins in Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM. Microbiology. 2013;159:2269-82 pubmed publisher..This study identified extracellular proteins and putative SLAPs of L. acidophilus NCFM using LC-MS/MS. SLAPs appear to impart important surface display features and immunological properties to microbes that are coated by S-layers. ..
- Yamayoshi S, Ohka S, Fujii K, Koike S. Functional comparison of SCARB2 and PSGL1 as receptors for enterovirus 71. J Virol. 2013;87:3335-47 pubmed publisher..The characterization of SCARB2 as an uncoating receptor greatly contributes to the understanding of the early steps of EV71 infection. ..
- Araki K, Iemura S, Kamiya Y, Ron D, Kato K, Natsume T, et al. Ero1-Î± and PDIs constitute a hierarchical electron transfer network of endoplasmic reticulum oxidoreductases. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:861-74 pubmed publisher..These observations provide an integrated picture of the hierarchy of cooperative redox interactions among ER oxidoreductases in mammalian cells. ..
- Zhao Y, Bhattacharjee S, Jones B, Dua P, Alexandrov P, Hill J, et al. Regulation of TREM2 expression by an NF-?B-sensitive miRNA-34a. Neuroreport. 2013;24:318-23 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that an epigenetic mechanism involving an NF-?B-mediated, miRNA-34a-regulated downregulation of TREM2 expression may shape innate immune and phagocytic responses that contribute to inflammatory neurodegeneration. ..
- Dreses Werringloer U, Vingtdeux V, Zhao H, Chandakkar P, Davies P, Marambaud P. CALHM1 controls the Ca²?-dependent MEK, ERK, RSK and MSK signaling cascade in neurons. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:1199-206 pubmed publisher..The present study identifies a previously uncharacterized mechanism of control of Ca(2+)-dependent ERK1/2 signaling in neurons, and further establishes CALHM1 as a critical ion channel for neuronal signaling and function. ..
- Larsen B, Steffensen S, Nielsen N, Friis S, Godiksen S, Bornholdt J, et al. Hepatocyte growth factor activator inhibitor-2 prevents shedding of matriptase. Exp Cell Res. 2013;319:918-29 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that Kunitz domain 1 of HAI-2 cause matriptase to accumulate in a membrane-bound form on the basolateral plasma membrane. ..
- Feldman R, Gordon I, Influs M, Gutbir T, Ebstein R. Parental oxytocin and early caregiving jointly shape children's oxytocin response and social reciprocity. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2013;38:1154-62 pubmed publisher..Our findings bear important implications for conditions involving disruptions to maternal-infant bonding and underscore the potential for peer-based interventions. ..
- Guerreiro R, Lohmann E, BrÃ¡s J, Gibbs J, Rohrer J, Gurunlian N, et al. Using exome sequencing to reveal mutations in TREM2 presenting as a frontotemporal dementia-like syndrome without bone involvement. JAMA Neurol. 2013;70:78-84 pubmed publisher..Even for complex syndromes such as dementia, exome sequencing has proven to be a rapid and cost-effective tool to identify genetic mutations, allowing for the association of clinical phenotypes with unexpected molecular underpinnings. ..
- Johansson M, Oudin A, Tiemann K, Bernard A, Golebiewska A, Keunen O, et al. The soluble form of the tumor suppressor Lrig1 potently inhibits in vivo glioma growth irrespective of EGF receptor status. Neuro Oncol. 2013;15:1200-11 pubmed publisher..The potent anti-tumor effect of sLrig1, in combination with cell encapsulation technology for in situ delivery, holds promise for future treatment of glioblastoma. ..
- Pasha R, Elmoazzen H, Pineault N. Development and testing of a stepwise thaw and dilute protocol for cryopreserved umbilical cord blood units. Transfusion. 2017;57:1744-1754 pubmed publisher..PLASMA-LYTE A for thawing solution proved to be an efficient alternative to dextran 40. Finally, greater dilution should be avoided to maintain the viability of CD45+ cells and maximize graft cell dose. ..
- Cao T, Chen H, Dong Z, Xu Y, Zhao P, Guo W, et al. Stachydrine Protects Against Pressure Overload-Induced Cardiac Hypertrophy by Suppressing Autophagy. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2017;42:103-114 pubmed publisher..By inhibiting NOX2, Stachydrine inhibits ROS production, thus exerting a remarkable activity of inhibiting hypertrophy, which could have considerable effect on clinical practice. ..
- Miao Y, Han X, Zheng L, Xie Y, Mu Y, Yates J, et al. Fimbrin phosphorylation by metaphase Cdk1 regulates actin cable dynamics in budding yeast. Nat Commun. 2016;7:11265 pubmed publisher..Overall, this work identifies fimbrin as a key target for cell cycle regulation of actin cable assembly in budding yeast, and suggests an underlying mechanism. ..
- Kucera A, Borg Distefano M, Berg Larsen A, Skjeldal F, Repnik U, Bakke O, et al. Spatiotemporal Resolution of Rab9 and CI-MPR Dynamics in the Endocytic Pathway. Traffic. 2016;17:211-29 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results demonstrate that Rab9 mediates the delivery of CI-MPR to the endosomal pathway, entering the maturing endosome at the early-to-late transition. ..
- Hechtman J, Benayed R, Hyman D, Drilon A, Zehir A, Frosina D, et al. Pan-Trk Immunohistochemistry Is an Efficient and Reliable Screen for the Detection of NTRK Fusions. Am J Surg Pathol. 2017;41:1547-1551 pubmed publisher..Pan-Trk IHC can help determine whether translation occurs for novel NTRK rearrangements. ..
- De Filippis A, Buommino E, Domenico M, Feola A, Brunetti Pierri R, Rizzo A. Chlamydia trachomatis induces an upregulation of molecular biomarkers podoplanin, Wilms' tumour gene 1, osteopontin and inflammatory cytokines in human mesothelial cells. Microbiology. 2017;163:654-663 pubmed publisher..The results of this study suggest that increased molecular biomarkers of cancer by persistent inflammation from C. trachomatis infection might support cellular transformation, thus increasing the risk of cancer. ..
- Heo J, Kim S, Kim B, Park J, Kim D, Ahn S, et al. Use of Wisteria Floribunda Agglutinin-Positive Human Mac-2 Binding Protein in Assessing Risk of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Due to Hepatitis B Virus. Medicine (Baltimore). 2016;95:e3328 pubmed..low) levels of WFA-M2BP (log-rank test, P?=?0.016).WFA-M2BP determination significantly reflected degree/extent of hepatic fibrosis and independently predicted the risk of developing HCC in patients with CHB. ..
- Henjum K, Almdahl I, Arskog V, Minthon L, Hansson O, Fladby T, et al. Cerebrospinal fluid soluble TREM2 in aging and Alzheimer's disease. Alzheimers Res Ther. 2016;8:17 pubmed publisher..44; p?=?0.002; n?=?46). sTREM2 in CSF correlates with aging in controls, and with the neurodegenerative markers CSF T-tau/P-tau among controls who are negative for AD CSF core biomarkers A?42, T-tau or P-tau. ..
- Peng Q, Kao G, Qu N, Zhang J, Li J, Song F. The Regulation of Exosporium-Related Genes in Bacillus thuringiensis. Sci Rep. 2016;6:19005 pubmed publisher..These findings provide insight into the exosporium assembly process at the transcriptional level. ..
- Toyoda H, Kumada T, Tada T, Kaneoka Y, Maeda A, Korenaga M, et al. Serum WFA+ -M2BP levels as a prognostic factor in patients with early hepatocellular carcinoma undergoing curative resection. Liver Int. 2016;36:293-301 pubmed publisher..00 (P = 0.0187). Serum WFA(+) -M2BP level is a prognostic factor for recurrence and survival, in addition to tumour progression and liver function, in patients with early-stage HCC treated with curative hepatic resection. ..
- Cuesta A, ViÃ±a E, Cabo R, VÃ¡zquez G, Cobo R, GarcÃa SuÃ¡rez O, et al. Acid-sensing ion channel 2 (asic 2) and trkb interrelationships within the intervertebral disc. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2015;8:10305-14 pubmed..These data also suggest that TrkB-ligands might be involved in the regulation of ASIC2 expression, and therefore in mechanisms by which the IVD cells accommodate to low pH and hypertonicity. ..
- Chuang K, Pan C, Su C, Lai C, Lin W, Ma C, et al. Urinary neutrophil gelatinase-associated lipocalin is associated with heavy metal exposure in welding workers. Sci Rep. 2015;5:18048 pubmed publisher..657, pâ€‰<â€‰0.001) than was KIM-1, suggesting that NGAL may be a urinary biomarker for welding PM2.5 exposure. Nephrotoxicity (e.g., renal tubular injury) may be an emerging concern in occupational health. ..
- Sinon S, Rich A, Parachuru V, Firth F, Milne T, Seymour G. Downregulation of toll-like receptor-mediated signalling pathways in oral lichen planus. J Oral Pathol Med. 2016;45:28-34 pubmed publisher..01) and RELA (P < 0.01). Stress proteins HMGB1 and the heat shock protein D1 were significantly downregulated in OLP (P < 0.01). These findings suggest a downregulation of TLR-mediated signalling pathways in OLP lesions. ..
- Lanfredini S, Olivero C, Borgogna C, Calati F, Powell K, Davies K, et al. HPV8 Field Cancerization in a Transgenic Mouse Model Is due to Lrig1+ Keratinocyte Stem Cell Expansion. J Invest Dermatol. 2017;137:2208-2216 pubmed publisher..These findings would suggest that ?-HPV field cancerization arises from the HF junctional zone and predispose to squamous cell carcinoma. ..
- ULRICH J, Ulland T, Colonna M, Holtzman D. Elucidating the Role of TREM2 in Alzheimer's Disease. Neuron. 2017;94:237-248 pubmed publisher..Here, we review the rapidly developing literature surrounding TREM2 in AD that may provide novel insight into the broader role of the innate immune system in neurodegenerative disease. ..
- Margulis N, Wilson J, Bentivoglio C, Dhungel N, Gitler A, Barlowe C. Analysis of COPII Vesicles Indicates a Role for the Emp47-Ssp120 Complex in Transport of Cell Surface Glycoproteins. Traffic. 2016;17:191-210 pubmed publisher..Our findings support a model in which the Emp47-Ssp120 complex functions in transport of plasma membrane glycoproteins through the early secretory pathway.
- Fritsch Stork R, Silva Cardoso S, Groot Koerkamp M, Broen J, Lafeber F, Bijlsma J. Expression of ERAP2 and LST1 is increased before start of therapy in rheumatoid arthritis patients with good clinical response to glucocorticoids. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2016;34:685-9 pubmed..02). The increased expression of ERAP2, LST1 and FAM26F in GC-responders before therapy warrants further investigation into their role as potential predictors for the response to GC, and in the inflammatory process of RA. ..
- Meijles D, Fan L, Ghazaly M, Howlin B, Kronke M, Brooks G, et al. p22phox C242T Single-Nucleotide Polymorphism Inhibits Inflammatory Oxidative Damage to Endothelial Cells and Vessels. Circulation. 2016;133:2391-403 pubmed publisher..C242T single-nucleotide polymorphism may represent a natural protective mechanism against inflammatory cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Musaya J, Chisi J, Senga E, Nambala P, Maganga E, Matovu E, et al. Polymerase chain reaction identification of Trypanosoma brucei rhodesiense in wild tsetse flies from Nkhotakota Wildlife Reserve, Malawi. Malawi Med J. 2017;29:5-9 pubmed..Further studies need to be done to identify sources of blood meals for the flies and for surveillance of communities around wildlife reserves. ..
- Fan D, He X, Bian Y, Guo Q, Zheng K, Zhao Y, et al. Triptolide Modulates TREM-1 Signal Pathway to Inhibit the Inflammatory Response in Rheumatoid Arthritis. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17:498 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrated that TP could modulate the TREM1 signal pathway to inhibit the inflammatory response in RA. ..
- Wortman J, Nahmad M, Zhang P, Lander A, Yu C. Expanding signaling-molecule wavefront model of cell polarization in the Drosophila wing primordium. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005610 pubmed publisher..Thus we predict that the distal localization of Dachs in cells throughout the pouch requires the movement of the Ds transition region and the simple presence, rather than any specific spatial pattern, of Fj. ..
- Ragbeer S, Augustine E, Mink J, Thatcher A, Vierhile A, Adams H. Remote Assessment of Cognitive Function in Juvenile Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis (Batten disease): A Pilot Study of Feasibility and Reliability. J Child Neurol. 2016;31:481-7 pubmed publisher..This initial test of remote cognitive assessment suggests it is feasible and reliable in children with pediatric neurodegenerative disease, for whom disease burden may limit travel and access to expert care and/or clinical trials. ..
- Yu G, Kubota H, Okita M, Maeda T. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects of melatonin on LPS-stimulated bovine mammary epithelial cells. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178525 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that melatonin protects bMECs from LPS-induced inflammatory and oxidant stress damage and provide evidence that melatonin might have therapeutic utility in mastitis. ..