Genomes and Genes
Summary: A frizzled-like, G-protein-coupled receptor that associates with PATCHED RECEPTORS to transduce signals from HEDGEHOG PROTEINS and initiate hedgehog signaling to ZINC FINGER PROTEIN GLI1. It may normally inhibit signaling in the absence of SONIC HEDGEHOG PROTEIN binding to PATCHED RECEPTOR-1.
- Shao J, Xu L, Chen L, Lu Q, Xie X, Shi W, et al. Arl13b Promotes Gastric Tumorigenesis by Regulating Smo Trafficking and Activation of the Hedgehog Signaling Pathway. Cancer Res. 2017;77:4000-4013 pubmed publisher..Our results show how Arl13b participates in Hh pathway activation in gastric cancer. Cancer Res; 77(15); 4000-13. ©2017 AACR. ..
- Monis W, Faundez V, Pazour G. BLOC-1 is required for selective membrane protein trafficking from endosomes to primary cilia. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:2131-2150 pubmed publisher..This is the first demonstration of a role for BLOC-1 in ciliary assembly and highlights the complexity of pathways taken to the cilium. ..
- Zhu S, Huang J, Peng W, Wu D, Luo M, Li Q, et al. Inhibition of smoothened decreases proliferation of synoviocytes in rheumatoid arthritis. Cell Mol Immunol. 2017;14:214-222 pubmed publisher..05). The results suggest that Shh signaling plays an important role in RA-FLSs proliferation in a Smo-dependent manner and may contribute to synovial hyperplasia. Targeting Shh signaling may help control joint damage in patients with RA. ..
- Xiao X, Tang J, Peng C, Wang Y, Fu L, Qiu Z, et al. Cholesterol Modification of Smoothened Is Required for Hedgehog Signaling. Mol Cell. 2017;66:154-162.e10 pubmed publisher..Together, the results of our study suggest that Hh signaling transduces to SMO through modulating its cholesterylation and provides a therapeutic opportunity to treat Hh-pathway-related cancers by targeting SMO cholesterylation. ..
- Sahm F, Schrimpf D, Stichel D, Jones D, Hielscher T, Schefzyk S, et al. DNA methylation-based classification and grading system for meningioma: a multicentre, retrospective analysis. Lancet Oncol. 2017;18:682-694 pubmed publisher..German Cancer Aid, Else Kröner-Fresenius Foundation, and DKFZ/Heidelberg Institute of Personalized Oncology/Precision Oncology Program. ..
- Yang Z, Lv Y, Wang L, Chen Y, Han J, Zhao S, et al. Inhibition of hedgehog pathway reveals the regulatory role of SMO in gastric cancer cells. Tumour Biol. 2017;39:1010428317715546 pubmed publisher..Our studies demonstrate an important role for smoothened and glioma-associated oncogene homology-1 in gastric cancer and suggest inhibition of hedgehog pathway as a novel and potent strategy to treat gastric cancer patients. ..
- Morgillo F, Amendola G, Della Corte C, Giacomelli C, Botta L, Di Maro S, et al. Dual MET and SMO Negative Modulators Overcome Resistance to EGFR Inhibitors in Human Nonsmall Cell Lung Cancer. J Med Chem. 2017;60:7447-7458 pubmed publisher..The identification of the known MET TKIs, glesatinib and foretinib, as negative modulators of the Hh pathway, widens their application in the context of NSCLC. ..
- Chaudhry P, Singh M, Triche T, Guzman M, Merchant A. GLI3 repressor determines Hedgehog pathway activation and is required for response to SMO antagonist glasdegib in AML. Blood. 2017;129:3465-3475 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these data support rational combinations of hypomethylating agents with SMO antagonists in clinical trials. ..
- Wu F, Zhang Y, Sun B, McMahon A, Wang Y. Hedgehog Signaling: From Basic Biology to Cancer Therapy. Cell Chem Biol. 2017;24:252-280 pubmed publisher..We discuss experiences and lessons learned from the decades-long efforts toward the development of cancer therapies targeting the HH pathway. Challenges to develop next-generation cancer therapies are highlighted. ..