Genomes and Genes
invertebrate peptide receptors
Summary: Cell surface receptors for invertebrate peptide hormones or neuropeptides.
- Palsson A, Gibson G. Association between nucleotide variation in Egfr and wing shape in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2004;167:1187-98 pubmed..However, these features severely limit the ability of linkage disequilibrium mapping in Drosophila to resolve quantitative effects to single nucleotides. ..
- Angulo M, Corominas M, Serras F. Activation and repression activities of ash2 in Drosophila wing imaginal discs. Development. 2004;131:4943-53 pubmed..We propose that the Ash2 complex provides a molecular framework for a mechanism required to maintain cellular identities in the wing development. ..
- Goldman Levi R, Miller C, Greenberg G, Gabai E, Zak N. Cellular pathways acting along the germband and in the amnioserosa may participate in germband retraction of the Drosophila melanogaster embryo. Int J Dev Biol. 1996;40:1043-51 pubmed..While the role of the amnioserosa during germband retraction appears to be permissive, the action of DER in the germband may be mediated by the cytoskeleton. ..
- Yan H, Jahanshahi M, Horvath E, Liu H, Pfleger C. Rabex-5 ubiquitin ligase activity restricts Ras signaling to establish pathway homeostasis in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2010;20:1378-82 pubmed publisher..Together, these findings reveal a new mechanism for attenuating Ras signaling in vivo and suggest an important role for Rabex-5-mediated Ras ubiquitination in pathway homeostasis. ..
- Pizette S, Rabouille C, Cohen S, Therond P. Glycosphingolipids control the extracellular gradient of the Drosophila EGFR ligand Gurken. Development. 2009;136:551-61 pubmed publisher..Our study assigns a novel role for GSLs in morphogen diffusion, possibly through regulation of their conformation. ..
- Palli S, Kapitskaya M, Kumar M, Cress D. Improved ecdysone receptor-based inducible gene regulation system. Eur J Biochem. 2003;270:1308-15 pubmed..Withdrawal of the ligand resulted in 50% and 80% reduction in reporter gene activity by 12 h and 24 h, respectively. ..
- Grønning L, Dahle M, Taskén K, Enerback S, Hedin L, Tasken K, et al. Isoform-specific regulation of the CCAAT/enhancer-binding protein family of transcription factors by 3',5'-cyclic adenosine monophosphate in Sertoli cells. Endocrinology. 1999;140:835-43 pubmed..Thus, the early induction of C/EBP isoforms by cAMP may play a role in FSH-dependent regulation of late response genes in Sertoli cells. ..
- Luschnig S, Krauss J, Bohmann K, Desjeux I, Nusslein Volhard C. The Drosophila SHC adaptor protein is required for signaling by a subset of receptor tyrosine kinases. Mol Cell. 2000;5:231-41 pubmed..We show by double-mutant analysis that the adaptors DOS, DRK, and DSHC act in parallel to transduce the Torso signal. Our results suggest that DSHC confers specificity to receptor signaling. ..
- Casares F, McElroy A, Mantione K, Baggermann G, Zhu W, Stefano G. The American lobster, Homarus americanus, contains morphine that is coupled to nitric oxide release in its nervous and immune tissues: Evidence for neurotransmitter and hormonal signaling. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2005;26:89-97 pubmed..Taken together, after eliminating all sources of contamination, morphine is present in lobster tissues, potentially demonstrating hormonal and neurotransmitter functions that are involved in the animals' stress response. ..
- Curtiss J, Halder G, Mlodzik M. Selector and signalling molecules cooperate in organ patterning. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:E48-51 pubmed..Such enhancers include autoregulatory enhancers of the selector genes themselves, which drive the refinement of expression patterns of selector genes. ..
- Shilo B, Raz E. Developmental control by the Drosophila EGF receptor homolog DER. Trends Genet. 1991;7:388-92 pubmed..We discuss the possible basis for the pleiotropic activity of DER, and the similarities and differences in the function of the homologous proteins in other invertebrates and vertebrates. ..
- Zak N, Shilo B. Biochemical properties of the Drosophila EGF receptor homolog (DER) protein. Oncogene. 1990;5:1589-93 pubmed..EGF and TGF alpha, which trigger the mammalian EGF receptor, did not increase the kinase activity of DER. ..
- Kostrouchova M, Krause M, Kostrouch Z, Rall J. Nuclear hormone receptor CHR3 is a critical regulator of all four larval molts of the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:7360-5 pubmed..These results define CHR3 as a critical regulator of all C. elegans molts and begin to define the molecular pathway for its function. ..
- Duffy J, Perrimon N. Recent advances in understanding signal transduction pathways in worms and flies. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1996;8:231-8 pubmed..Current work in both systems has provided new opportunities to investigate the potential for the cross-talk between these different signaling pathways. ..
- Vrailas Mortimer A, Majumdar N, Middleton G, Cooke E, Marenda D. Delta and Egfr expression are regulated by Importin-7/Moleskin in Drosophila wing development. Dev Biol. 2007;308:534-46 pubmed..We discuss the implications of these data with respect to the integration of Egfr and Delta/Notch signaling, specifically through the control of MAP kinase subcellular localization. ..
- Donlea J, Ramanan N, Shaw P. Use-dependent plasticity in clock neurons regulates sleep need in Drosophila. Science. 2009;324:105-8 pubmed publisher..The number of synaptic terminals was reduced during sleep and this decline was prevented by sleep deprivation. ..
- Torfs H, Oonk H, Broeck J, Poels J, Van Poyer W, De Loof A, et al. Pharmacological characterization of STKR, an insect G protein-coupled receptor for tachykinin-like peptides. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 2001;48:39-49 pubmed..calcitrans), also proved to be an STKR-agonist. Stc-TK, a potential physiological ligand for STKR, contains an Ala-residue (or A) instead of a highly conserved Gly-residue (or G). Arch. ..
- Dequier E, Souid S, Pal M, Maroy P, Lepesant J, Yanicostas C. Top-DER- and Dpp-dependent requirements for the Drosophila fos/kayak gene in follicular epithelium morphogenesis. Mech Dev. 2001;106:47-60 pubmed..This suggests that in somatic follicle cells, Dfos controls the expression of one or several factors that are necessary for these processes in underlying germinal nurse cells. ..
- Mertens I, Meeusen T, Janssen T, Nachman R, Schoofs L. Molecular characterization of two G protein-coupled receptor splice variants as FLP2 receptors in Caenorhabditis elegans. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;330:967-74 pubmed..1a and T19F4.1b was not temperature-dependent. Screening in cells lacking the promiscuous Galpha16 suggests that T19F4.1a and b are both linked to the Gq pathway. ..
- Gabay L, Seger R, Shilo B. MAP kinase in situ activation atlas during Drosophila embryogenesis. Development. 1997;124:3535-41 pubmed..Since the antibody was raised against the phosphorylated form of a conserved ERK peptide containing the TEY motif, this approach is applicable to a wide spectrum of multicellular organisms. ..
- Golembo M, Yarnitzky T, Volk T, Shilo B. Vein expression is induced by the EGF receptor pathway to provide a positive feedback loop in patterning the Drosophila embryonic ventral ectoderm. Genes Dev. 1999;13:158-62 pubmed..In the absence of Vein, lateral cell fates are not induced when Spitz levels are compromised. The positive feedback loop of Vein generates a robust mechanism for patterning the ventral ectoderm. ..
- Wicher D, Agricola H, Söhler S, Gundel M, Heinemann S, Wollweber L, et al. Differential receptor activation by cockroach adipokinetic hormones produces differential effects on ion currents, neuronal activity, and locomotion. J Neurophysiol. 2006;95:2314-25 pubmed..Our findings also show that AKHs act through the same basic mechanisms on neuronal and nonneuronal cells, and they support an integration of metabolic and neuronal effects in homoeostatic mechanisms. ..
- Umetsu D, Murakami S, Sato M, Tabata T. The highly ordered assembly of retinal axons and their synaptic partners is regulated by Hedgehog/Single-minded in the Drosophila visual system. Development. 2006;133:791-800 pubmed..As a result, lamina neurons are set aside from R axons. The data reveal a novel mechanism for regulation of the interaction between axons and neuronal cell bodies that establishes precise neuronal networks. ..
- Sprecher S, Pichaud F, Desplan C. Adult and larval photoreceptors use different mechanisms to specify the same Rhodopsin fates. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2182-95 pubmed..Therefore, even though the larval PRs and adult R8 PRs express the same rhodopsins (rh5 and rh6), they use very distinct mechanisms for their specification. ..
- Shirahama S, Miyahara A, Kitoh H, Honda A, Kawase A, Yamada K, et al. Skewed X-chromosome inactivation causes intra-familial phenotypic variation of an EBP mutation in a family with X-linked dominant chondrodysplasia punctata. Hum Genet. 2003;112:78-83 pubmed..The possibility that an apparently normal parent is a carrier should be considered when examining seemingly sporadic cases and providing genetic counseling to CDPX2 families...
- Meeusen T, Mertens I, Clynen E, Baggerman G, Nichols R, Nachman R, et al. Identification in Drosophila melanogaster of the invertebrate G protein-coupled FMRFamide receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:15363-8 pubmed..To our knowledge, the cloned DrmFMRFa-R is the first functionally active FMRFamide G protein-coupled receptor described in invertebrates to date. ..
- Doucet D, Frisco C, Cusson M, Bauce E, Palli S, Tomkins B, et al. Diapause disruption with tebufenozide for early-instar control of the spruce budworm, Choristoneura fumiferana. Pest Manag Sci. 2007;63:730-6 pubmed..Thus, diapause disruption by tebufenozide may well provide an alternative control strategy for this important pest. ..
- Arya R, Lakhotia S. Hsp60D is essential for caspase-mediated induced apoptosis in Drosophila melanogaster. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2008;13:509-26 pubmed publisher..Depletion of either of these proteins disrupts the granular distribution of the other. We suggest that in the absence of Hsp60D, DIAP1 is unable to dissociate from effecter and executioner caspases, which thus remain inactive. ..
- Muller D, Kugler S, Preiss A, Maier D, Nagel A. Genetic modifier screens on Hairless gain-of-function phenotypes reveal genes involved in cell differentiation, cell growth and apoptosis in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2005;171:1137-52 pubmed..Overall, these screens highlight the importance of H and the Notch pathway in mediating cell death in response to developmental and environmental cues and emphasize their role in maintaining developmental cellular homeostasis. ..
- Li Y, Baker N. Proneural enhancement by Notch overcomes Suppressor-of-Hairless repressor function in the developing Drosophila eye. Curr Biol. 2001;11:330-8 pubmed..Later, lateral inhibition restores the repression of neural development by a different mechanism, requiring E(spl)-C transcription. Thus, Notch restricts neurogenesis temporally to a narrow time interval between two modes of repression. ..
- Ghazi A, VijayRaghavan K. Developmental biology. Control by combinatorial codes. Nature. 2000;408:419-20 pubmed
- Gonzalez Gaitan M, Jackle H. Tip cell-derived RTK signaling initiates cell movements in the Drosophila stomatogastric nervous system anlage. EMBO Rep. 2000;1:366-71 pubmed..Subsequently, tip cells secrete the DER ligand Spitz and trigger local RTK signaling, which initiates morphogenetic movements resulting in the tip cell-directed invaginations within the SNS anlage. ..
- Pirger Z, Laszlo Z, Kiss T. G-protein coupled receptor kinase-like immunoreactivity in the snail, Helix pomatia, neurons. Brain Res. 2006;1122:10-7 pubmed
- Sundaram M, Palli S, Smagghe G, Ishaaya I, Feng Q, Primavera M, et al. Effect of RH-5992 on adult development in the spruce budworm, Choristoneura fumiferana. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2002;32:225-31 pubmed..These results suggest that the pupae respond to RH-5992 in a manner similar to larvae. However, the effects are not expressed overtly and are camouflaged by the pharmacological effects. ..
- Xu C, Kauffmann R, Zhang J, Kladny S, Carthew R. Overlapping activators and repressors delimit transcriptional response to receptor tyrosine kinase signals in the Drosophila eye. Cell. 2000;103:87-97 pubmed..We show that Sevenless activates prospero independent of the enhancer and involves targeted degradation of Tramtrack, a transcription repressor...
- Palli S, Ladd T, Tomkins W, Shu S, Ramaswamy S, Tanaka Y, et al. Choristoneura fumiferana entomopoxvirus prevents metamorphosis and modulates juvenile hormone and ecdysteroid titers. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2000;30:869-76 pubmed..Thus, our data show that EPV prevents metamorphosis by modulating ecdysteroid and JH levels...
- Pickup A, Banerjee U. The role of star in the production of an activated ligand for the EGF receptor signaling pathway. Dev Biol. 1999;205:254-9 pubmed..Based on these results, we propose that the Star protein is likely to be involved in Spitz ligand processing. ..
- Polaczyk P, Gasperini R, Gibson G. Naturally occurring genetic variation affects Drosophila photoreceptor determination. Dev Genes Evol. 1998;207:462-70 pubmed..This implies that different genes and/or alleles modify the two activated receptor genotypes. The evolutionary significance of the existence of high levels of genetic variation in the absence of normal phenotypic variation is discussed. ..
- Rawlings J, Rennebeck G, Harrison S, Xi R, Harrison D. Two Drosophila suppressors of cytokine signaling (SOCS) differentially regulate JAK and EGFR pathway activities. BMC Cell Biol. 2004;5:38 pubmed..The non-canonical properties of Socs44A may be representative of the class of less characterized vertebrate SOCS with which it shares greatest similarity. ..
- Wides R, Zak N, Shilo B. Enhancement of tyrosine kinase activity of the Drosophila epidermal growth factor receptor homolog by alterations of the transmembrane domain. Eur J Biochem. 1990;189:637-45 pubmed..These results also support the inclusion of DER within the tyrosine-kinase receptor family. ..
- Ninov N, Martin Blanco E. Changing gears in the cell cycle: histoblasts and beyond. Fly (Austin). 2009;3:286-9 pubmed..We have recently uncovered in histoblasts an internal logic modulating cell cycle transitions that should constitute a reference paradigm for the study of other equivalent processes in stem cell, cancer or developmental biology. ..
- Cruz C, Glavic A, Casado M, de Celis J. A gain-of-function screen identifying genes required for growth and pattern formation of the Drosophila melanogaster wing. Genetics. 2009;183:1005-26 pubmed publisher..Finally, we present a preliminary characterization of a gene identified in the screen, the function of which is required for the development of the L5 longitudinal vein. ..
- Price J, Clifford R, Schupbach T. The maternal ventralizing locus torpedo is allelic to faint little ball, an embryonic lethal, and encodes the Drosophila EGF receptor homolog. Cell. 1989;56:1085-92 pubmed..We conclude that torpedo is the DER gene. ..
- Carmena A, Gisselbrecht S, Harrison J, Jimenez F, Michelson A. Combinatorial signaling codes for the progressive determination of cell fates in the Drosophila embryonic mesoderm. Genes Dev. 1998;12:3910-22 pubmed..We conclude that distinct cellular identity codes are generated by the combinatorial activities of Wg, Dpp, EGF, and FGF signals in the progressive determination of embryonic mesodermal cells. ..
- Hashimoto R, Yamaguchi M. Genetic link between beta-sarcoglycan and the Egfr signaling pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;348:212-21 pubmed..These cells exhibited phosphorylation of ERKA, suggesting that Egfr signaling is activated via Rhomboid. Through these in vivo analyses, we conclude that dscgbeta negatively regulates the Egfr signaling pathway. ..
- Masler E. Digestion of invertebrate neuropeptides by preparations from the free-living nematode Panagrellus redivivus. J Helminthol. 2008;82:279-85 pubmed publisher..Results suggest that in addition to aminopeptidase and serine proteases, both deamidase and aminopeptidase P participate in neuropeptide metabolism in P. redivivus. ..
- Heyliger S, Payza K, Rothman R. The effect of FMRFamide analogs on [35S]GTP-gamma-S stimulation in squid optic lobes. Peptides. 1998;19:739-47 pubmed..These results agree with published receptor radioligand studies and indicate that the [35S]GTP-gamma-S assay may be useful in classifying novel FMRFamide-selective ligands. ..
- Bernardi F, Duchi S, Cavaliere V, Donati A, Andrenacci D, Gargiulo G. Egfr signaling modulates VM32E gene expression during Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Genes Evol. 2007;217:529-40 pubmed..This may suggest that a fine tuning of the expression of specific eggshell structural genes could be part of the complex process that leads to a proper eggshell assembly. ..
- Altstein M, Ben Aziz O, Bhargava K, Li Q, Martins Green M. Histochemical localization of the PBAN receptor in the pheromone gland of Heliothis peltigera. Peptides. 2003;24:1335-47 pubmed
- Weber U, Pataki C, Mihaly J, Mlodzik M. Combinatorial signaling by the Frizzled/PCP and Egfr pathways during planar cell polarity establishment in the Drosophila eye. Dev Biol. 2008;316:110-23 pubmed publisher..Taken together with previous work establishing a Notch-dependent Su(H) function in R4, we conclude that Fos, Yan, Pnt, and Su(H) integrate Egfr, Fz, and Notch signaling input in R3 or R4 to establish cell fate and ommatidial polarity. ..
- Yan S, Zartman J, Zhang M, Scott A, Shvartsman S, Li W. Bistability coordinates activation of the EGFR and DPP pathways in Drosophila vein differentiation. Mol Syst Biol. 2009;5:278 pubmed publisher..The joint activation of the EGFR and DPP signaling systems is ensured by a positive feedback loop, in which the two pathways stimulate each other at the level of ligand production. ..