Genomes and Genes
nerve growth factor receptor
Summary: A low affinity receptor that binds NERVE GROWTH FACTOR; BRAIN-DERIVED NEUROTROPHIC FACTOR; NEUROTROPHIN 3; and neurotrophin 4.
- Yan C, Mirnics Z, Portugal C, Liang Y, Nylander K, Rudzinski M, et al. Cholesterol biosynthesis and the pro-apoptotic effects of the p75 nerve growth factor receptor in PC12 pheochromocytoma cells. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2005;139:225-34 pubmed..These studies provide evidence that the pro-apoptotic effects of p75NTR in PC12 cells are related to the upregulation of cholesterol biosynthetic enzymes and consequent increased cholesterol biosynthesis. ..
- Domeniconi M, Zampieri N, Spencer T, Hilaire M, Mellado W, Chao M, et al. MAG induces regulated intramembrane proteolysis of the p75 neurotrophin receptor to inhibit neurite outgrowth. Neuron. 2005;46:849-55 pubmed
- Rösch H, Schweigreiter R, Bonhoeffer T, Barde Y, Korte M. The neurotrophin receptor p75NTR modulates long-term depression and regulates the expression of AMPA receptor subunits in the hippocampus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:7362-7 pubmed..These results implicate p75NTR in activity-dependent synaptic plasticity and extend the concept of functional antagonism of the neurotrophin signaling system. ..
- Song X, Zhou F, Zhong J, Wu L, Zhou X. Knockout of p75(NTR) impairs re-myelination of injured sciatic nerve in mice. J Neurochem. 2006;96:833-42 pubmed..These results suggest that p75(NTR) is important for the myelinogenesis during the regeneration of peripheral nerves after injury. ..
- Manni L, Holmang A, Lundeberg T, Aloe L, Stener Victorin E. Ovarian expression of alpha (1)- and beta (2)-adrenoceptors and p75 neurotrophin receptors in rats with steroid-induced polycystic ovaries. Auton Neurosci. 2005;118:79-87 pubmed..Overall, our findings suggest that therapeutical approaches aimed at down-regulating the sympathetic tone to the ovary could be useful in the prevention and clinical treatment of PCOS. ..
- Ahmed Z, Mazibrada G, Seabright R, Dent R, Berry M, Logan A. TACE-induced cleavage of NgR and p75NTR in dorsal root ganglion cultures disinhibits outgrowth and promotes branching of neurites in the presence of inhibitory CNS myelin. FASEB J. 2006;20:1939-41 pubmed..Thus, TACE-induced cleavage of NgR and RIP of p75(NTR) abrogates axon growth inhibitory signaling, thereby disinhibiting CNS axon/neurite growth. ..
- Micera A, Lambiase A, Stampachiacchiere B, Sgrulletta R, Normando E, Bonini S, et al. Nerve growth factor has a modulatory role on human primary fibroblast cultures derived from vernal keratoconjunctivitis-affected conjunctiva. Mol Vis. 2007;13:981-7 pubmed..The autocrine modulation of differentiation and response of VKC-FBs to NGF exposure with downregulation of type I collagen and upregulation of MMP9 expression supports a relevant role for NGF in tissue remodeling of VKC. ..
- Yang J, Siao C, Nagappan G, Marinic T, Jing D, McGrath K, et al. Neuronal release of proBDNF. Nat Neurosci. 2009;12:113-5 pubmed publisher..Thus, BDNF actions are developmentally regulated by secretion of proBDNF or mature BDNF and by local expression of p75 and TrkB. ..
- Di Girolamo N, Sarris M, Chui J, Cheema H, Coroneo M, Wakefield D. Localization of the low-affinity nerve growth factor receptor p75 in human limbal epithelial cells. J Cell Mol Med. 2008;12:2799-811 pubmed publisher..p75 may represent an additional ocular surface epithelial stem/progenitor cell signature gene. ..
- Kenchappa R, Zampieri N, Chao M, Barker P, Teng H, Hempstead B, et al. Ligand-dependent cleavage of the P75 neurotrophin receptor is necessary for NRIF nuclear translocation and apoptosis in sympathetic neurons. Neuron. 2006;50:219-32 pubmed..These results indicate that p75-mediated apoptosis requires gamma-secretase dependent release of its ICD, which facilitates nuclear translocation of NRIF. ..
- Lambiase A, Pagani L, Di Fausto V, Sposato V, Coassin M, Bonini S, et al. Nerve growth factor eye drop administrated on the ocular surface of rodents affects the nucleus basalis and septum: biochemical and structural evidence. Brain Res. 2007;1127:45-51 pubmed..The present findings suggest that eye NGF application can represent an alternative route to prevent degeneration of NGF-receptive neurons involved in disorders such as Alzheimer and Parkinson. ..
- Urra S, Escudero C, Ramos P, Lisbona F, Allende E, Covarrubias P, et al. TrkA receptor activation by nerve growth factor induces shedding of the p75 neurotrophin receptor followed by endosomal gamma-secretase-mediated release of the p75 intracellular domain. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:7606-15 pubmed..Moreover, we show similar structural requirements for gamma-secretase processing of p75 and amyloid precursor protein-derived CTFs. Thus, NGF-induced endocytosis regulates both signaling and proteolytic processing of p75. ..
- Nykjaer A, Willnow T, Petersen C. p75NTR--live or let die. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2005;15:49-57 pubmed..Here, we review recent progress in delineating the molecular networks that enable p75(NTR) to dictate life and death. ..
- Valderrama X, Rapin N, Verge V, Misra V. Zhangfei induces the expression of the nerve growth factor receptor, trkA, in medulloblastoma cells and causes their differentiation or apoptosis. J Neurooncol. 2009;91:7-17 pubmed publisher..In contrast, while resveratrol suppressed the growth of human diploid fibroblasts (MRC5), Zhangfei had relatively little effect on these cells. ..
- Micera A, Puxeddu I, Lambiase A, Antonelli A, Bonini S, Aloe L, et al. The pro-fibrogenic effect of nerve growth factor on conjunctival fibroblasts is mediated by transforming growth factor-beta. Clin Exp Allergy. 2005;35:650-6 pubmedNerve growth factor (NGF) and nerve growth factor receptor (NGFR) expressions have been found to be increased in sub-conjunctival scarring...
- Teng H, Teng K, Lee R, Wright S, Tevar S, Almeida R, et al. ProBDNF induces neuronal apoptosis via activation of a receptor complex of p75NTR and sortilin. J Neurosci. 2005;25:5455-63 pubmed..Together with our past findings, these data suggest that the neurotrophin family is capable of modulating diverse biological processes via differential processing of the proneurotrophins. ..
- Kendirci M, Trost L, Bakondi B, Whitney M, Hellstrom W, Spees J. Transplantation of nonhematopoietic adult bone marrow stem/progenitor cells isolated by p75 nerve growth factor receptor into the penis rescues erectile function in a rat model of cavernous nerve injury. J Urol. 2010;184:1560-6 pubmed publisher..multipotent stromal cells) or magnetic activated cell sorting using antibodies against p75 low affinity nerve growth factor receptor (p75 derived multipotent stromal cells)...
- Woo N, Teng H, Siao C, Chiaruttini C, Pang P, Milner T, et al. Activation of p75NTR by proBDNF facilitates hippocampal long-term depression. Nat Neurosci. 2005;8:1069-77 pubmed
- Johnston A, Lun X, Rahn J, Liacini A, Wang L, Hamilton M, et al. The p75 neurotrophin receptor is a central regulator of glioma invasion. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e212 pubmed..These results provide the first evidence for p75(NTR) as a major contributor to the highly invasive nature of malignant gliomas and identify a novel therapeutic target. ..
- Lu B, Pang P, Woo N. The yin and yang of neurotrophin action. Nat Rev Neurosci. 2005;6:603-14 pubmed..New insights into the 'yin and yang' of neurotrophin activity have profound implications for our understanding of the role of neurotrophins in a wide range of cellular processes. ..
- Chan J, Watkins T, Cosgaya J, Zhang C, Chen L, Reichardt L, et al. NGF controls axonal receptivity to myelination by Schwann cells or oligodendrocytes. Neuron. 2004;43:183-91 pubmed..These findings indicate a novel role for growth factors in regulating the receptivity of axons to myelination and reveal that different axonal signals control central and peripheral myelination. ..
- Song X, Zhong J, Wang X, Zhou X. Suppression of p75NTR does not promote regeneration of injured spinal cord in mice. J Neurosci. 2004;24:542-6 pubmed..Our results suggest that p75NTR may not be a critical molecule mediating the function of myelin-associated inhibitory factors in vivo. ..
- Walmsley A, McCombie G, Neumann U, Marcellin D, Hillenbrand R, Mir A, et al. Zinc metalloproteinase-mediated cleavage of the human Nogo-66 receptor. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:4591-602 pubmed..Our findings thus identify a potential cellular mechanism for the regulation of NgR function at the level of the receptor. ..
- Copray S, Kust B, Emmer B, Lin M, Liem R, Amor S, et al. Deficient p75 low-affinity neurotrophin receptor expression exacerbates experimental allergic encephalomyelitis in C57/BL6 mice. J Neuroimmunol. 2004;148:41-53 pubmed..Our findings suggest a physiological significant role for p75NTR in CNS endothelial cells during inflammation and involvement in preservation of blood-brain barrier integrity during a severe infiltrative attack. ..
- Zhou S, Cao J, Swissa M, Gonzalez Gomez I, Chang C, Chien K, et al. Low-affinity nerve growth factor receptor p75NTR immunoreactivity in the myocardium with sympathetic hyperinnervation. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2004;15:430-7 pubmed..The data indicate that p75NTR may be the main NGF receptor in the myocardium, and p75NTR immunopositive interstitial cells may have a role in regulating sympathetic nerve growth in canine heart. ..
- Rudzinski M, Wong T, Saragovi H. Changes in retinal expression of neurotrophins and neurotrophin receptors induced by ocular hypertension. J Neurobiol. 2004;58:341-54 pubmed..A possible rationale for therapeutic intervention with Trk receptor agonists and p75 receptor antagonists is proposed. ..
- Micera A, Lambiase A, Aloe L, Bonini S, Levi Schaffer F, Bonini S. Nerve growth factor involvement in the visual system: implications in allergic and neurodegenerative diseases. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2004;15:411-7 pubmed..The present review of experimental and clinical studies will highlight old and recent strategies for treating ocular surface and tear disorders with NGF. ..
- Raychaudhuri S, Sanyal M, Weltman H, Kundu Raychaudhuri S. K252a, a high-affinity nerve growth factor receptor blocker, improves psoriasis: an in vivo study using the severe combined immunodeficient mouse-human skin model. J Invest Dermatol. 2004;122:812-9 pubmed..5+/-42.69 to 150.52+/-32.93 microm (p<0.05, Student's t test). This study provides evidence for the role of NGF and its high-affinity receptor in the pathogenesis of psoriasis and insights to develop novel therapeutic modalities. ..
- Pehar M, Cassina P, Vargas M, Castellanos R, Viera L, Beckman J, et al. Astrocytic production of nerve growth factor in motor neuron apoptosis: implications for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. J Neurochem. 2004;89:464-73 pubmed..Thus, reactive astrocytes might contribute to the progressive motor neuron degeneration characterizing ALS. ..
- Nykjaer A, Lee R, Teng K, Jansen P, Madsen P, Nielsen M, et al. Sortilin is essential for proNGF-induced neuronal cell death. Nature. 2004;427:843-8 pubmed..Here we report that proNGF creates a signalling complex by simultaneously binding to p75NTR and sortilin. Thus sortilin acts as a co-receptor and molecular switch governing the p75NTR-mediated pro-apoptotic signal induced by proNGF. ..
- Paul C, Vereker E, Dickson K, Barker P. A pro-apoptotic fragment of the p75 neurotrophin receptor is expressed in p75NTRExonIV null mice. J Neurosci. 2004;24:1917-23 pubmed..These results indicate that aspects of the p75NTRExonIV-/- phenotype may reflect a gain-of-function mutation rather than loss of p75NTR function. ..
- Giuliani A, D Intino G, Paradisi M, Giardino L, Calza L. p75(NTR)-immunoreactivity in the subventricular zone of adult male rats: expression by cycling cells. J Mol Histol. 2004;35:749-58 pubmed..p75(NTR)-IR was not increased in the early post-natal phase. Thus, p75(NTR) seems to be associated with cell cycle regulation in SVZ in adult rat brain. ..
- Gehler S, Gallo G, Veien E, Letourneau P. p75 neurotrophin receptor signaling regulates growth cone filopodial dynamics through modulating RhoA activity. J Neurosci. 2004;24:4363-72 pubmed..These observations suggest that neurotrophins regulate filopodial dynamics by depressing the activation of RhoA that occurs through p75NTR signaling. ..
- Yamauchi J, Chan J, Shooter E. Neurotrophins regulate Schwann cell migration by activating divergent signaling pathways dependent on Rho GTPases. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:8774-9 pubmed..Together, these results suggest that neurotrophins and their receptors differentially regulate Schwann cell migration through the signaling pathways that depend on Rho GTPases. ..
- Hempstead B. Commentary: Regulating proNGF action: multiple targets for therapeutic intervention. Neurotox Res. 2009;16:255-60 pubmed publisher..Multiple strategies that may act to limit proNGF action are considered as potential therapeutic targets for future development. ..
- Kuo L, Groves M, Scaravilli F, Sugden D, An S. Neurotrophin-3 administration alters neurotrophin, neurotrophin receptor and nestin mRNA expression in rat dorsal root ganglia following axotomy. Neuroscience. 2007;147:491-507 pubmed..These data suggest that systemically administered NT-3 may counteract the decrease, or even increase, neurotrophin responsiveness in both ipsi- and contralateral ganglia after nerve injury. ..
- Sachs B, Baillie G, McCall J, Passino M, Schachtrup C, Wallace D, et al. p75 neurotrophin receptor regulates tissue fibrosis through inhibition of plasminogen activation via a PDE4/cAMP/PKA pathway. J Cell Biol. 2007;177:1119-32 pubmed..Our results reveal a novel pathogenic mechanism by which p75(NTR) regulates degradation of cAMP and perpetuates scar formation after injury. ..
- Korade Z, Mi Z, Portugal C, Schor N. Expression and p75 neurotrophin receptor dependence of cholesterol synthetic enzymes in adult mouse brain. Neurobiol Aging. 2007;28:1522-31 pubmed..The unexpected localization of cholesterogenic enzymes in adult neurons suggests that at least some adult neurons retain the ability to synthesize cholesterol. ..
- Gascon E, Vutskits L, Zhang H, Barral Moran M, Kiss P, Mas C, et al. Sequential activation of p75 and TrkB is involved in dendritic development of subventricular zone-derived neuronal progenitors in vitro. Eur J Neurosci. 2005;21:69-80 pubmed
- Hannila S, Kawaja M. Nerve growth factor-mediated collateral sprouting of central sensory axons into deafferentated regions of the dorsal horn is enhanced in the absence of the p75 neurotrophin receptor. J Comp Neurol. 2005;486:331-43 pubmed
- Rankin S, Guy C, Mearow K. TrkA NGF receptor plays a role in the modulation of p75NTR expression. Neurosci Lett. 2005;383:305-10 pubmed..Together these results indicate a role for the individual tyrosine autophosphorylation sites of TrkA in regulating p75NTR expression. ..
- Peters E, Hendrix S, Gölz G, Klapp B, Arck P, Paus R. Nerve growth factor and its precursor differentially regulate hair cycle progression in mice. J Histochem Cytochem. 2006;54:275-88 pubmed..This has important implications for the future design of specific neurotrophin receptor ligands as novel pharmaceuticals in the modification of tissue remodeling processes such as hair growth or wound healing. ..
- Bläsing H, Hendrix S, Paus R. Pro-inflammatory cytokines upregulate the skin immunoreactivity for NGF, NT-3, NT-4 and their receptor, p75NTR in vivo: a preliminary report. Arch Dermatol Res. 2005;296:580-4 pubmed..This raises the question to which extent several of the recognized cutaneous effects of IFNgamma, IL-1beta and TNF-alpha are mediated indirectly via modulating the expression of selected NTs and/or NTRs. ..
- Ramnaraine M, Pan W, Clohisy D. Osteoclasts direct bystander killing of cancer cells in vitro. Bone. 2006;38:4-12 pubmed..with a retroviral vector containing the cytosine deaminase fusion gene (NCD) composed of the human nerve growth factor receptor and CD genes...
- Diarra A, Geetha T, Potter P, Babu J. Signaling of the neurotrophin receptor p75 in relation to Alzheimer's disease. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;390:352-6 pubmed publisher..This mini-review explores the ligand and cell type based signaling pathways of the neurotrophin receptor p75 relating to Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Hatchett C, Tyler S, Armstrong D, Dawbarn D, Allen S. Familial Alzheimer's disease presenilin 1 mutation M146V increases gamma secretase cutting of p75NTR in vitro. Brain Res. 2007;1147:248-55 pubmed..Thus alterations in p75NTR proteolysis may influence this equilibrium. The novel finding that a mutation may increase processing of p75NTR may have implications for the pathogenic outcome in Alzheimer's disease. ..
- Zuccato C, Marullo M, Conforti P, MacDonald M, Tartari M, Cattaneo E. Systematic assessment of BDNF and its receptor levels in human cortices affected by Huntington's disease. Brain Pathol. 2008;18:225-38 pubmed..This indicates that, in addition to the reduction in BDNF mRNA, there is also unbalanced neurotrophic receptor signaling in HD. ..
- Park J, Yiu G, Kaneko S, Wang J, Chang J, He X, et al. A TNF receptor family member, TROY, is a coreceptor with Nogo receptor in mediating the inhibitory activity of myelin inhibitors. Neuron. 2005;45:345-51 pubmed..Our results implicate TROY in mediating myelin inhibition, offering new insights into the molecular mechanisms of regeneration failure in the adult nervous system. ..
- Hoard J, Hoover D, Mabe A, Blakely R, Feng N, Paolocci N. Cholinergic neurons of mouse intrinsic cardiac ganglia contain noradrenergic enzymes, norepinephrine transporters, and the neurotrophin receptors tropomyosin-related kinase A and p75. Neuroscience. 2008;156:129-42 pubmed publisher..They also suggest that neurotrophins and local NE synthesis might have important effects on neurons of the mouse ICG. ..
- Saenz C, Dominguez R, De Lacalle S. Estrogen contributes to structural recovery after a lesion. Neurosci Lett. 2006;392:198-201 pubmed
- McCaffrey G, Welker J, Scott J, der Salm L, Grimes M. High-resolution fractionation of signaling endosomes containing different receptors. Traffic. 2009;10:938-50 pubmed publisher..Receptor-specific endosomes may direct the intracellular location and duration of signal transduction pathways to dictate response to signals and determine cell fate. ..
- Iwakura N, Ohtori S, Orita S, Yamashita M, Takahashi K, Kuniyoshi K. Role of low-affinity nerve growth factor receptor inhibitory antibody in reducing pain behavior and calcitonin gene-related Peptide expression in a rat model of wrist joint inflammatory pain. J Hand Surg Am. 2010;35:267-73 pubmed publisher..01). p75NTR inhibition may be a therapeutic target for inflamed joint pain treatment with reduced adverse events. ..