Genomes and Genes
Summary: Leukocyte differentiation antigens and major platelet membrane glycoproteins present on MONOCYTES; ENDOTHELIAL CELLS; PLATELETS; and mammary EPITHELIAL CELLS. They play major roles in CELL ADHESION; SIGNAL TRANSDUCTION; and regulation of angiogenesis. CD36 is a receptor for THROMBOSPONDINS and can act as a scavenger receptor that recognizes and transports oxidized LIPOPROTEINS and FATTY ACIDS.
- Houssier M, Raoul W, Lavalette S, Keller N, Guillonneau X, Baragatti B, et al. CD36 deficiency leads to choroidal involution via COX2 down-regulation in rodents. PLoS Med. 2008;5:e39 pubmed publisher..These findings unveil a pathogenic process, to our knowledge previously undescribed, with important implications for the development of new therapies. ..
- Benton R, Vannice K, Vosshall L. An essential role for a CD36-related receptor in pheromone detection in Drosophila. Nature. 2007;450:289-93 pubmed
- Koonen D, Jacobs R, Febbraio M, Young M, Soltys C, Ong H, et al. Increased hepatic CD36 expression contributes to dyslipidemia associated with diet-induced obesity. Diabetes. 2007;56:2863-71 pubmed..As these CD36-mediated effects contribute to the dyslipidemia that often precedes the development of type 2 diabetes, increased hepatic CD36 expression likely plays a causative role in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Mo M, Lee H, Kotaka M, Niang M, Gao X, Iyer J, et al. The C-terminal segment of the cysteine-rich interdomain of Plasmodium falciparum erythrocyte membrane protein 1 determines CD36 binding and elicits antibodies that inhibit adhesion of parasite-infected erythrocytes. Infect Immun. 2008;76:1837-47 pubmed publisher..Thus, small regions of PfEMP-1 that determine binding specificity could form suitable components of an antisequestration malaria vaccine effective against different parasite strains. ..
- Chung E, Liu J, Homma Y, Zhang Y, Brendolan A, Saggese M, et al. Interleukin-10 expression in macrophages during phagocytosis of apoptotic cells is mediated by homeodomain proteins Pbx1 and Prep-1. Immunity. 2007;27:952-64 pubmed..This study establishes a role of two developmentally critical factors (Pbx1 and Prep-1) in the regulation of homeostasis in the immune system. ..
- Martin C, Longman E, Wooding C, Hoosdally S, Ali S, Aitman T, et al. Cd36, a class B scavenger receptor, functions as a monomer to bind acetylated and oxidized low-density lipoproteins. Protein Sci. 2007;16:2531-41 pubmed
- King K, Stanley W, Rosca M, Kerner J, Hoppel C, Febbraio M. Fatty acid oxidation in cardiac and skeletal muscle mitochondria is unaffected by deletion of CD36. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2007;467:234-8 pubmed..Palmitate export was not different between wild type and CD36 knock-out mice. Taken together, CD36 does not appear to play an essential role in mitochondrial uptake of fatty acids or export of fatty acid anions...
- Sun B, Boyanovsky B, Connelly M, Shridas P, van der Westhuyzen D, Webb N. Distinct mechanisms for OxLDL uptake and cellular trafficking by class B scavenger receptors CD36 and SR-BI. J Lipid Res. 2007;48:2560-70 pubmed
- Fry A, Ghansa A, Small K, Palma A, Auburn S, Diakite M, et al. Positive selection of a CD36 nonsense variant in sub-Saharan Africa, but no association with severe malaria phenotypes. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:2683-92 pubmed publisher..98). These results suggest a range of possible explanations including the existence of alternative selection pressures on CD36, co-evolution between host and parasite or confounding caused by allelic heterogeneity of CD36 deficiency. ..
- Rać M, Safranow K, Poncyljusz W. Molecular basis of human CD36 gene mutations. Mol Med. 2007;13:288-96 pubmed..This review summarizes current knowledge of CD36 gene structure, splicing, and mutations and the molecular, metabolic, and clinical consequences of these phenomena. ..
- Kanayama M, Yamaguchi S, Shibata T, Shibata N, Kobayashi M, Nagai R, et al. Identification of a serum component that regulates cyclooxygenase-2 gene expression in cooperation with 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:24166-74 pubmed..These findings represent a demonstration of a link between lipoprotein modification and activation of the inflammatory potential of macrophages. ..
- Silverstein R, Febbraio M. CD36, a scavenger receptor involved in immunity, metabolism, angiogenesis, and behavior. Sci Signal. 2009;2:re3 pubmed publisher..Identification of the precise CD36 signaling pathways in specific cells elicited in response to specific ligands may yield novel targets for drug development. ..
- Nilsen N, Deininger S, Nonstad U, Skjeldal F, Husebye H, Rodionov D, et al. Cellular trafficking of lipoteichoic acid and Toll-like receptor 2 in relation to signaling: role of CD14 and CD36. J Leukoc Biol. 2008;84:280-91 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that LTA signaling preferentially occurs at the plasma membrane, is independent of internalization, and is facilitated by CD36 and CD14 as coreceptors for TLR2. ..
- Patel S, Lu Z, Ayi K, Serghides L, Gowda D, Kain K. Disruption of CD36 impairs cytokine response to Plasmodium falciparum glycosylphosphatidylinositol and confers susceptibility to severe and fatal malaria in vivo. J Immunol. 2007;178:3954-61 pubmed..These results provide direct evidence that pfGPI induces TNF-alpha secretion in a CD36-dependent manner and support a role for CD36 in modulating host cytokine response and innate control of acute blood-stage malaria infection in vivo. ..
- Agrawal S, Febbraio M, Podrez E, Cathcart M, Stark G, Chisolm G. Signal transducer and activator of transcription 1 is required for optimal foam cell formation and atherosclerotic lesion development. Circulation. 2007;115:2939-47 pubmed..Stat1 deficiency reduces atherosclerosis in an apolipoprotein e-/- atherosclerosis-susceptible bone marrow transplantation model. ..
- Adams Y, Schwartz Albiez R, McCarthy J, Andrews K. Effect of cytokine treatment on the in vitro expression of the P. falciparum adhesion receptor chondroitin-4-sulphate on the surface of human choriocarcinoma (BeWo) cells. Parasitol Res. 2007;101:479-83 pubmed..These data demonstrate that in vitro cultured BeWo cells mimic the P. falciparum adhesion receptor expression profile of ex vivo placental cytotrophoblast cells. ..
- Collot Teixeira S, Martin J, McDermott Roe C, Poston R, McGregor J. CD36 and macrophages in atherosclerosis. Cardiovasc Res. 2007;75:468-77 pubmed..The aim of this article is to carefully review the importance of CD36 as an essential component in the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis. ..
- Rahaman S, Lennon D, Febbraio M, Podrez E, Hazen S, Silverstein R. A CD36-dependent signaling cascade is necessary for macrophage foam cell formation. Cell Metab. 2006;4:211-21 pubmed..These findings show that a specific CD36-dependent signaling pathway initiated by oxLDL is necessary for foam cell formation and identify potential targets for antiatherosclerosis therapy. ..
- Triantafilou M, Gamper F, Lepper P, Mouratis M, Schumann C, Harokopakis E, et al. Lipopolysaccharides from atherosclerosis-associated bacteria antagonize TLR4, induce formation of TLR2/1/CD36 complexes in lipid rafts and trigger TLR2-induced inflammatory responses in human vascular endothelial cells. Cell Microbiol. 2007;9:2030-9 pubmed..This antagonistic activity of H. pylori or P. gingivalis LPS, as well as their TLR2 activation capability may be associated with their ability to contribute to atherosclerosis. ..
- Knipper M, Claussen C, Ruttiger L, Zimmermann U, Lüllmann Rauch R, Eskelinen E, et al. Deafness in LIMP2-deficient mice due to early loss of the potassium channel KCNQ1/KCNE1 in marginal cells of the stria vascularis. J Physiol. 2006;576:73-86 pubmed..Our findings suggest an important role for LIMP2 in the control of the localization and the level of apically expressed membrane proteins such as KCNQ1, KCNE1 and megalin in the stria vascularis...
- Triantafilou M, Gamper F, Haston R, Mouratis M, Morath S, Hartung T, et al. Membrane sorting of toll-like receptor (TLR)-2/6 and TLR2/1 heterodimers at the cell surface determines heterotypic associations with CD36 and intracellular targeting. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:31002-11 pubmed..This localization and targeting is ligand-specific. Activation occurs at the cell surface, and the observed trafficking is independent of signaling. ..
- Handberg A, Levin K, Højlund K, Beck Nielsen H. Identification of the oxidized low-density lipoprotein scavenger receptor CD36 in plasma: a novel marker of insulin resistance. Circulation. 2006;114:1169-76 pubmed
- Sanchez M, García Y, Montes C, Paris S, Rojas M, Barrera L, et al. Functional and phenotypic changes in monocytes from patients with tuberculosis are reversed with treatment. Microbes Infect. 2006;8:2492-500 pubmed..HLA-DR and CD36 inhibition correlated with induction of apoptosis. Restoration of monocyte alterations during anti-TB treatment suggests that such alterations may be caused by the high M. tuberculosis load present during active disease. ..
- Cunha Rodrigues M, Portugal S, Febbraio M, Mota M. Bone marrow chimeric mice reveal a dual role for CD36 in Plasmodium berghei ANKA infection. Malar J. 2007;6:32 pubmed
- Rodrigue Way A, Demers A, Ong H, Tremblay A. A growth hormone-releasing peptide promotes mitochondrial biogenesis and a fat burning-like phenotype through scavenger receptor CD36 in white adipocytes. Endocrinology. 2007;148:1009-18 pubmed..These results provide a potential role for CD36 to impact the overall metabolic activity of fat usage and mitochondrial biogenesis in adipocytes. ..
- Avallone R, Demers A, Rodrigue Way A, Bujold K, Harb D, Anghel S, et al. A growth hormone-releasing peptide that binds scavenger receptor CD36 and ghrelin receptor up-regulates sterol transporters and cholesterol efflux in macrophages through a peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma-dependent pathway. Mol Endocrinol. 2006;20:3165-78 pubmed..These findings provide a novel mechanism by which the beneficial regulation of PPARgamma and cholesterol metabolism in macrophages could be regulated by CD36 and ghrelin receptor downstream effects. ..
- Yang J, Sambandam N, Han X, Gross R, Courtois M, Kovacs A, et al. CD36 deficiency rescues lipotoxic cardiomyopathy. Circ Res. 2007;100:1208-17 pubmed
- Bonen A, Han X, Habets D, Febbraio M, Glatz J, Luiken J. A null mutation in skeletal muscle FAT/CD36 reveals its essential role in insulin- and AICAR-stimulated fatty acid metabolism. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007;292:E1740-9 pubmed..7-fold greater in WT compared with KO mice. In conclusion, the present studies demonstrate that FAT/CD36 has a critical role in regulating fatty acid esterification and oxidation, particularly during stimulation with insulin or AICAR. ..
- Smith A, Mullen K, Junkin K, Nickerson J, Chabowski A, Bonen A, et al. Metformin and exercise reduce muscle FAT/CD36 and lipid accumulation and blunt the progression of high-fat diet-induced hyperglycemia. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007;293:E172-81 pubmed..Thus reduction of skeletal muscle FAT/CD36 and content of ceramide and DAG may be important mechanisms by which exercise training blunts the progression of diet-induced insulin resistance in skeletal muscle. ..
- Ikeda Y, Murakami A, Fujimura Y, Tachibana H, Yamada K, Masuda D, et al. Aggregated ursolic acid, a natural triterpenoid, induces IL-1beta release from murine peritoneal macrophages: role of CD36. J Immunol. 2007;178:4854-64 pubmed
- Yanai H, Watanabe I, Ishii K, Morimoto M, Fujiwara H, Yoshida S, et al. Attenuated aerobic exercise capacity in CD36 deficiency. J Med Genet. 2007;44:445-7 pubmed..This study found reduced FA utilisation and an attenuated aerobic exercise capacity in CD36 deficiency, indicating that CD36-mediated FA oxidation is an important determinant for aerobic exercise capacity in humans. ..
- Habets D, Coumans W, Voshol P, den Boer M, Febbraio M, Bonen A, et al. AMPK-mediated increase in myocardial long-chain fatty acid uptake critically depends on sarcolemmal CD36. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;355:204-10 pubmed..CD36 is almost entirely responsible for AMPK-mediated stimulation of LCFA uptake in cardiomyocytes, indicating a pivotal role for CD36 in mediating changes in cardiac LCFA fluxes. ..
- Covey S, Brunet R, Gandhi S, McFarlane N, Boreham D, Gerber G, et al. Cholesterol depletion inhibits fatty acid uptake without affecting CD36 or caveolin-1 distribution in adipocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;355:67-71 pubmed..Cholesterol levels thus regulate fatty acid uptake by adipocytes via a pathway that does not involve altered cell surface localization of caveolin-1 or CD36. ..
- Chen M, Yang Y, Loux T, Georgeson K, Harmon C. The role of hyperglycemia in FAT/CD36 expression and function. Pediatr Surg Int. 2006;22:647-54 pubmed..These data suggest that plasma glucose levels play more important role in the regulation of FAT/CD36 expression than concurrent changes in plasma insulin. ..
- Mwaikambo B, Sennlaub F, Ong H, Chemtob S, Hardy P. Activation of CD36 inhibits and induces regression of inflammatory corneal neovascularization. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2006;47:4356-64 pubmed..05). CD36 is involved both physiologically and pharmacologically in inhibition and regression of CNV, by direct effect on endothelial cells and partly by negatively regulating VEGF expression in macrophages. ..
- Verbeek J, Spincemaille P, Vanhorebeek I, Van den Berghe G, Vander Elst I, Windmolders P, et al. Dietary intervention, but not losartan, completely reverses non-alcoholic steatohepatitis in obese and insulin resistant mice. Lipids Health Dis. 2017;16:46 pubmed publisher..Dietary intervention, and not losartan, completely restores the metabolic phenotype in a representative mouse model with pre-existent NASH, obesity, insulin resistance and hypercholesterolemia. ..
- Cecil D, Appleton C, Polewski M, Mort J, Schmidt A, Bendele A, et al. The pattern recognition receptor CD36 is a chondrocyte hypertrophy marker associated with suppression of catabolic responses and promotion of repair responses to inflammatory stimuli. J Immunol. 2009;182:5024-31 pubmed publisher..Therefore, RAGE and CD36 patterning receptor expression were linked with opposing effects on inflammatory, procatabolic responses to S100A11 and TNF-alpha in chondrocytes. ..
- Valacchi G, Vasu V, Yokohama W, Corbacho A, Phung A, Lim Y, et al. Lung vitamin E transport processes are affected by both age and environmental oxidants in mice. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2007;222:227-34 pubmed
- Kalinowska A, Gorski J, Harasim E, Harasiuk D, Bonen A, Chabowski A. Differential effects of chronic, in vivo, PPAR's stimulation on the myocardial subcellular redistribution of FAT/CD36 and FABPpm. FEBS Lett. 2009;583:2527-34 pubmed publisher..Observed effects of chronic PPAR stimulation were not related to either AMPK or ERK1/2 activation. ..
- Chen X, Ren L, Kim S, CARPINO N, Daniel J, Kunapuli S, et al. Determination of the substrate specificity of protein-tyrosine phosphatase TULA-2 and identification of Syk as a TULA-2 substrate. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:31268-76 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Syk is a bona fide TULA-2 substrate in platelets. ..
- O Byrne S, Kako Y, Deckelbaum R, Hansen I, Palczewski K, Goldberg I, et al. Multiple pathways ensure retinoid delivery to milk: studies in genetically modified mice. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2010;298:E862-70 pubmed publisher..Our data show that compensatory pathways for the delivery of retinoids ensure their optimal delivery and that LRAT is the most important enzyme for milk retinyl ester formation. ..
- Wei P, Sun F, Zuo L, Qu J, Chen P, Xu L, et al. Critical residues and motifs for homodimerization of the first transmembrane domain of the plasma membrane glycoprotein CD36. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:8683-8693 pubmed publisher..Overall, this work provides a structural basis for understanding the role of TM association in regulating signal transduction via CD36. ..
- Boumelhem B, Assinder S, Bell Anderson K, Fraser S. Flow cytometric single cell analysis reveals heterogeneity between adipose depots. Adipocyte. 2017;6:112-123 pubmed publisher..Our protocol revealed unreported heterogeneity between adipose depots and highlights the utility of flow cytometry for screening adipocytes at the single cell level. ..
- Zhang F, Chen Y, Long J, Dong L, Wang Y, Chen Y. Dietary fatty acids affect lipid metabolism and estrogen receptor expression in N-methyl-N-nitrosourea-induced rat mammary cancer model. Clin Lab. 2015;61:389-95 pubmed..Our study showed that different dietary PUFAs may affect lipid metabolism in breast cancer tissues by altering the expression of FABP5, CD-36, FAS, and ER, which may change treatment response and even prognosis of breast cancer. ..
- Escribano L, Simón A, Gimeno E, Cuadrado Tejedor M, Lopez de Maturana R, Garcia Osta A, et al. Rosiglitazone rescues memory impairment in Alzheimer's transgenic mice: mechanisms involving a reduced amyloid and tau pathology. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010;35:1593-604 pubmed publisher..This study provides further insights into the mechanisms for the beneficial effect of rosiglitazone in AD patients. ..
- Xu Y, Wang J, Bao Y, Jiang W, Zuo L, Song D, et al. Identification of two antagonists of the scavenger receptor CD36 using a high-throughput screening model. Anal Biochem. 2010;400:207-12 pubmed publisher..This HTS assay represents a potential method for identifying more effective macrophage scavenger receptor antagonists, which may serve as starting points for the development of novel anti-atherosclerotic agents. ..
- Larter C, Yeh M, Van Rooyen D, Teoh N, Brooling J, Hou J, et al. Roles of adipose restriction and metabolic factors in progression of steatosis to steatohepatitis in obese, diabetic mice. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009;24:1658-68 pubmed publisher..The way in which HF feeding 'saturates' adipose stores, decreases serum adiponectin and causes hepatic inflammation in steatohepatitis may provide clues to pathogenesis of NASH in metabolic syndrome. ..
- Serghides L, Patel S, Ayi K, Lu Z, Gowda D, Liles W, et al. Rosiglitazone modulates the innate immune response to Plasmodium falciparum infection and improves outcome in experimental cerebral malaria. J Infect Dis. 2009;199:1536-45 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that PPARgamma agonists represent a novel class of host immunomodulatory drugs that may be useful for treatment of severe malaria syndromes...
- Gopal M, Cohn C, McEntire M, Alperin J. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and adult onset Still's disease. Am J Med Sci. 2009;337:373-6 pubmed publisher..The coincident onset of AOSD and TTP in this patient lead us to suspect a common pathophysiologic pathway in the pathogenesis for both of these diseases. ..
- Kawai Y, Nishikawa T, Shiba Y, Saito S, Murota K, Shibata N, et al. Macrophage as a target of quercetin glucuronides in human atherosclerotic arteries: implication in the anti-atherosclerotic mechanism of dietary flavonoids. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:9424-34 pubmed publisher..Our data provide a new insight into the bioavailability of dietary flavonoids and the mechanism for the prevention of cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Isenberg J, Yu C, Roberts D. Differential effects of ABT-510 and a CD36-binding peptide derived from the type 1 repeats of thrombospondin-1 on fatty acid uptake, nitric oxide signaling, and caspase activation in vascular cells. Biochem Pharmacol. 2008;75:875-82 pubmed..Thus, we propose that ABT-510 is a drug with at least two mechanisms of action, and its potent anti-tumor activity may be in part independent of CD36 fatty acid translocase inhibition. ..