Genomes and Genes
class b scavenger receptors
Summary: A family of scavenger receptors that are predominately localized to CAVEOLAE of the PLASMA MEMBRANE and bind HIGH DENSITY LIPOPROTEINS.
- Cerda A, Genvigir F, Arazi S, Hirata M, Dorea E, Bernik M, et al. Influence of SCARB1 polymorphisms on serum lipids of hypercholesterolemic individuals treated with atorvastatin. Clin Chim Acta. 2010;411:631-7 pubmed publisher..05) than the TT genotype carriers in response to atorvastatin. The SCARB1 polymorphisms are related with variations in serum lipids in the Brazilian population and c.1050C>T SNP is associated with lipid-lowering atorvastatin response. ..
- Fletcher N, Yang J, Farquhar M, Hu K, Davis C, He Q, et al. Hepatitis C virus infection of neuroepithelioma cell lines. Gastroenterology. 2010;139:1365-74 pubmed publisher..HCV infection in vitro is not restricted to hepatic-derived cells, so HCV might infect cells of the CNS in vivo. ..
- Song Z, Cai L, Guo L, Tsukamoto Y, Yutani C, Li X. Accumulation and expression of serum amyloid P component in human atherosclerotic lesions. Atherosclerosis. 2010;211:90-5 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our findings demonstrate that SAP is specifically accumulated and expressed in atherosclerotic lesions. SAP may be involved in cholesterol clearance through its role in promoting cholesterol efflux...
- McCarthy J, Somji A, Weiss L, Steffy B, Vega R, Barrett Connor E, et al. Polymorphisms of the scavenger receptor class B member 1 are associated with insulin resistance with evidence of gene by sex interaction. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94:1789-96 pubmed publisher..These findings warrant further investigation in additional populations and prompt exploration of a role for SR-BI in the development of insulin resistance. ..
- Gamliel Lazarovich A, Gantman A, Shiner M, Coleman R, Aviram M, Keidar S. Paraoxonase 1 deficiency in mice is associated with reduced steroid biosynthesis: effects on HDL binding, cholesteryl ester accumulation and scavenger receptor type BI expression. Atherosclerosis. 2010;211:130-5 pubmed publisher..PON1 regulates adrenal CS biosynthesis at two levels: (a) via an accessory role in HDL binding properties, and (b) a supportive role in SR-BI expression and CE supply to the cells. ..
- Daniels T, Killinger K, Michal J, Wright R, Jiang Z. Lipoproteins, cholesterol homeostasis and cardiac health. Int J Biol Sci. 2009;5:474-88 pubmed..Furthermore, as marker development continues to predict risk of vascular illness, this knowledge has the potential to revolutionize treatment of this leading human disease. ..
- Naj A, West M, Rich S, Post W, Kao W, Wasserman B, et al. Association of scavenger receptor class B type I polymorphisms with subclinical atherosclerosis: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2010;3:47-52 pubmed publisher..Variation in SCARB1 at rs10846744 was significantly associated with CCIMT across racial/ethnic groups in Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. ..
- Duncan K, Hosseini K, Bailey K, Yang H, Lowe R, Matthes M, et al. Expression of reverse cholesterol transport proteins ATP-binding cassette A1 (ABCA1) and scavenger receptor BI (SR-BI) in the retina and retinal pigment epithelium. Br J Ophthalmol. 2009;93:1116-20 pubmed publisher..BrMs were significantly thickened in SR-BI heterozygous mice, but not in ABCA1 heterozygous mice. RPE cells express ABCA1 and SR-BI. This implies a significant role for SR-BI and ABCA1 in lipid transport and RCT in the retina and RPE. ..
- Ciesek S, Steinmann E, Iken M, Ott M, Helfritz F, Wappler I, et al. Glucocorticosteroids increase cell entry by hepatitis C virus. Gastroenterology. 2010;138:1875-84 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that the potential effects of high-dose glucocorticosteroids on HCV infection in vivo may be due to increased HCV dissemination. ..
- Kimura T, Tomura H, Sato K, Ito M, Matsuoka I, Im D, et al. Mechanism and role of high density lipoprotein-induced activation of AMP-activated protein kinase in endothelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:4387-97 pubmed publisher..Several HDL-induced antiatherogenic actions are regulated by AMPK, but proliferation-related actions are regulated by Ras rather than AMPK. ..
- Wang S, Wu D, Matthan N, Lamon Fava S, Lecker J, Lichtenstein A. Reduction in dietary omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids: eicosapentaenoic acid plus docosahexaenoic acid ratio minimizes atherosclerotic lesion formation and inflammatory response in the LDL receptor null mouse. Atherosclerosis. 2009;204:147-55 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that lower omega-6:EPA+DHA ratio diets lowered some measures of inflammation and Mphi cholesterol accumulation, which was associated with less aortic lesion formation in LDLr-/- mice...
- Nishiuchi T, Murao K, Imachi H, Yu X, Dobashi H, Haba R, et al. Scavenger receptor class BI mediates the anti-apoptotic effect of erythropoietin. Ann Med. 2010;42:151-60 pubmed publisher..Finally, EPO in combination with HDL protected the cell from apoptosis, which suggests that hSR-BI/CLA-1 induced by EPO might contribute to the erythrocyte life-span. ..
- Ashraf M, Kar N, Chen X, Choi J, Salomon R, Febbraio M, et al. Specific oxidized phospholipids inhibit scavenger receptor bi-mediated selective uptake of cholesteryl esters. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:10408-14 pubmed publisher..Thus, oxidative stress and accumulation of specific oxidized phospholipids in plasma may have an inhibitory effect on reverse cholesterol transport. ..
- Ontsouka C, Burgener I, Mani O, Albrecht C. Polyunsaturated fatty acid-enriched diets used for the treatment of canine chronic enteropathies decrease the abundance of selected genes of cholesterol homeostasis. Domest Anim Endocrinol. 2010;38:32-7 pubmed publisher..05) by PUFA-enriched diets in IBD dogs only. Our results suggest that feeding PUFA-enriched diets may alter cholesterol homeostasis in duodenal mucosal cells of dogs suffering from IBD...
- Racine R, Gueguen Y, Gourmelon P, Veyssiere G, Souidi M. Modifications of the expression of genes involved in cerebral cholesterol metabolism in the rat following chronic ingestion of depleted uranium. J Mol Neurosci. 2009;38:159-65 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, a chronic internal contamination with depleted uranium does not affect the health status of rats but induces molecular changes in the dynamic equilibrium of the cerebral cholesterol pool. ..
- Datar R, Kaesemeyer W, Chandra S, Fulton D, Caldwell R. Acute activation of eNOS by statins involves scavenger receptor-B1, G protein subunit Gi, phospholipase C and calcium influx. Br J Pharmacol. 2010;160:1765-72 pubmed publisher..LOV and PRA acutely activate eNOS through pathways that include the cell surface receptor SR-B1, Gi protein, phosholipase C and entry of extracellular calcium into endothelial cells. ..
- Bao Y, Yang Y, Wang L, Gao L, Jiang W, Wang L, et al. Identification of trichostatin A as a novel transcriptional up-regulator of scavenger receptor BI both in HepG2 and RAW 264.7 cells. Atherosclerosis. 2009;204:127-35 pubmed publisher..e., TSA). Together, these studies identified TSA as a novel up-regulator of CLA-1/SR-BI both in HepG2 and RAW 264.7 cells...
- Kim H, Vaziri N. Sterol regulatory element-binding proteins, liver X receptor, ABCA1 transporter, CD36, scavenger receptors A1 and B1 in nephrotic kidney. Am J Nephrol. 2009;29:607-14 pubmed publisher..Cellular lipid homeostasis is regulated by the influx, synthesis and efflux of lipids...
- Holm D, Fink D, Grønlund J, Hansen S, Holmskov U. Cloning and characterization of SCART1, a novel scavenger receptor cysteine-rich type I transmembrane molecule. Mol Immunol. 2009;46:1663-72 pubmed publisher..Finally, a novel human scavenger receptor cysteine-rich molecule with high homology to mSCART1 was identified by searching in the human genomic databases using the mSCART1 cDNA sequence. ..
- Tan K. Reverse cholesterol transport in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Obes Metab. 2009;11:534-43 pubmed publisher..In this article, abnormalities in RCT in type 2 diabetes mellitus and therapeutic strategies targeting HDL and RCT will be reviewed...
- Azhar S, Medicherla S, Shen W, Fujioka Y, Fong L, Reaven E, et al. LDL and cAMP cooperate to regulate the functional expression of the LRP in rat ovarian granulosa cells. J Lipid Res. 2006;47:2538-50 pubmed..In summary, our studies demonstrate a role for LRP in lipoprotein-supported ovarian granulosa cell steroidogenesis. ..
- Song X, Fischer P, Chen X, Burton C, Wang J. An apoA-I mimetic peptide facilitates off-loading cholesterol from HDL to liver cells through scavenger receptor BI. Int J Biol Sci. 2009;5:637-46 pubmed..Overall our data provides evidence that D-4F is capable of mimicking apoA-I to form HDL-like particles, and off-loads cholesterol for catabolism and excretion, thus completing RCT. ..
- Bitzegeio J, Bankwitz D, Hueging K, Haid S, Brohm C, Zeisel M, et al. Adaptation of hepatitis C virus to mouse CD81 permits infection of mouse cells in the absence of human entry factors. PLoS Pathog. 2010;6:e1000978 pubmed publisher..Moreover, these findings should contribute to the development of an immunocompetent small animal model fully permissive to HCV. ..
- Zerbib J, Seddon J, Richard F, Reynolds R, Leveziel N, Benlian P, et al. rs5888 variant of SCARB1 gene is a possible susceptibility factor for age-related macular degeneration. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7341 pubmed publisher..7-7.6, p<0.0015). These results suggest the possible contribution of SCARB1, a new genetic factor in AMD, and implicate a role for cholesterol and antioxidant micronutrient (lutein and vitamin E) metabolism in AMD. ..
- Yang Y, Jiang W, Wang L, Zhang Z, Si S, Hong B. Characterization of the isoflavone pratensein as a novel transcriptional up-regulator of scavenger receptor class B type I in HepG2 cells. Biol Pharm Bull. 2009;32:1289-94 pubmed..These findings might provide a new molecular mechanism by which isoflavones potentially prevent atherosclerosis. ..
- Xu M, Zhou H, Wang J, Li C, Yu Y. The expression of ATP-binding cassette transporter A1 in Chinese overweight and obese patients. Int J Obes (Lond). 2009;33:851-6 pubmed publisher..43, P<0.001, respectively). The expression of ABCA1 in monocytes is reduced in overweight and obese patients, and the reduction in ABCA1 is associated with the impairment of cholesterol efflux from monocyte-derived macrophages. ..
- Fabre A, Malaval C, Ben Addi A, Verdier C, Pons V, Serhan N, et al. P2Y13 receptor is critical for reverse cholesterol transport. Hepatology. 2010;52:1477-83 pubmed publisher..These results establish P2Y(13) as an attractive novel target for modulating RCT and support the emerging view that steady-state plasma HDL levels do not necessarily reflect the capacity of HDL to promote RCT. ..
- Wiersma H, Gatti A, Nijstad N, Oude Elferink R, Kuipers F, Tietge U. Scavenger receptor class B type I mediates biliary cholesterol secretion independent of ATP-binding cassette transporter g5/g8 in mice. Hepatology. 2009;50:1263-72 pubmed publisher..001) upon SR-BI overexpression. Inhibition of microtubule function did not affect SR-BI-mediated biliary cholesterol secretion, indicating that transcytosis pathways are not involved...
- Xu M, Zhou H, Gu Q, Li C. The expression of ATP-binding cassette transporters in hypertensive patients. Hypertens Res. 2009;32:455-61 pubmed publisher..The reduction in ABCA1/ABCG1 is associated with the impairment of cholesterol efflux from monocyte-derived macrophages. ..
- Hu Y, Wang Q, Ma X, Li X, Liu X, Xiao J, et al. TGF-beta1 up-regulates expression of ABCA1, ABCG1 and SR-BI through liver X receptor alpha signaling pathway in THP-1 macrophage-derived foam cells. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2010;17:493-502 pubmed
- Uto Kondo H, Ayaori M, Ogura M, Nakaya K, Ito M, Suzuki A, et al. Coffee consumption enhances high-density lipoprotein-mediated cholesterol efflux in macrophages. Circ Res. 2010;106:779-87 pubmed publisher..Coffee intake might have an antiatherogenic property by increasing ABCG1 and SR-BI expression and enhancing HDL-mediated cholesterol efflux from the macrophages via its plasma phenolic acids. ..
- Hoekstra M, Korporaal S, Li Z, Zhao Y, Van Eck M, Van Berkel T. Plasma lipoproteins are required for both basal and stress-induced adrenal glucocorticoid synthesis and protection against endotoxemia in mice. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2010;299:E1038-43 pubmed publisher..Therefore, it is suggested that plasma lipoproteins are required for optimal adrenal steroidogenesis and protection against endotoxemia in mice. ..
- Hoekstra M, Ye D, Hildebrand R, Zhao Y, Lammers B, Stitzinger M, et al. Scavenger receptor class B type I-mediated uptake of serum cholesterol is essential for optimal adrenal glucocorticoid production. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:1039-46 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, we have shown that CETP-mediated transfer of HDL-CE is not able to reverse adrenal insufficiency in SR-BI knockout mice. Thus, SR-BI-mediated uptake of serum cholesterol is essential for optimal adrenal function. ..
- Wiersma H, Gatti A, Nijstad N, Kuipers F, Tietge U. Hepatic SR-BI, not endothelial lipase, expression determines biliary cholesterol secretion in mice. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:1571-80 pubmed publisher..These data stress the importance of SR-BI for biliary cholesterol secretion and might have relevance for concepts of reverse cholesterol transport...
- Cuchel M, Lund Katz S, de la Llera Moya M, Millar J, Chang D, Fuki I, et al. Pathways by which reconstituted high-density lipoprotein mobilizes free cholesterol from whole body and from macrophages. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010;30:526-32 pubmed publisher..We performed studies to identify the underlying molecular mechanisms by which rHDL promote FC mobilization from whole body in vivo and macrophages in vitro...
- Gantman A, Fuhrman B, Aviram M, Hayek T. High glucose stimulates macrophage SR-BI expression and induces a switch in its activity from cholesterol efflux to cholesterol influx. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;391:523-8 pubmed publisher..This study examined the expression of proteins involved in cholesterol transport, i.e. ABCA1 and SR-BI, under diabetic conditions...
- Marsche G, Frank S, Hrzenjak A, Holzer M, Dirnberger S, Wadsack C, et al. Plasma-advanced oxidation protein products are potent high-density lipoprotein receptor antagonists in vivo. Circ Res. 2009;104:750-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, depressed plasma clearance of HDL-cholesterol may contribute to the abnormal composition of HDL and the high cardiovascular risk observed in patients with chronic renal failure. ..
- Mohammadi M, Thabut D, Cazals Hatem D, Galbois A, Rudler M, Bonnefont Rousselot D, et al. Possible mechanisms involved in the discrepancy of hepatic and aortic endothelial nitric oxide synthases during the development of cirrhosis in rats. Liver Int. 2009;29:692-700 pubmed publisher..This study shows that the modulation of Akt and Cav-1 is inverted in the liver and the aorta during the development of cirrhosis. In addition, decreased HDL levels may play a role in reduced hepatic eNOS activity. ..
- Kielczewski J, Jarajapu Y, McFarland E, Cai J, Afzal A, Li Calzi S, et al. Insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 mediates vascular repair by enhancing nitric oxide generation. Circ Res. 2009;105:897-905 pubmed publisher..These studies support consideration of IGFBP-3 as a novel agent to restore the function of injured vasculature and restore NO generation. ..
- GonÃ§alves C, Castro M, Henriques T, Oliveira M, Pinheiro H, Oliveira C, et al. Molecular cloning and analysis of SSc5D, a new member of the scavenger receptor cysteine-rich superfamily. Mol Immunol. 2009;46:2585-96 pubmed publisher..It seems likely that SSc5D has a role at the interface between adaptive and innate immunity, or in placental function. ..
- Junyent M, Arnett D, Tsai M, Kabagambe E, Straka R, Province M, et al. Genetic variants at the PDZ-interacting domain of the scavenger receptor class B type I interact with diet to influence the risk of metabolic syndrome in obese men and women. J Nutr. 2009;139:842-8 pubmed publisher..This gene x BMI x diet interaction offers the potential to identify dietary and other lifestyle changes that may obviate the onset of MetS in individuals with a specific genetic background. ..
- Atshaves B, McIntosh A, Martin G, Landrock D, Payne H, Bhuvanendran S, et al. Overexpression of sterol carrier protein-2 differentially alters hepatic cholesterol accumulation in cholesterol-fed mice. J Lipid Res. 2009;50:1429-47 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings support an important role for SCP-2 in hepatic cholesterol homeostasis...
- Scheri R, Lee J, Barofsky D, Curtis L. Chlordecone increased subcellular distribution of scavenger receptor class B type II to murine hepatic microsomes without altering cytosolic cholesterol binding proteins. Toxicol Lett. 2009;191:20-5 pubmed publisher..Western blotting verified no effect of CD on liver fatty acid-binding protein (L-FABP) in cytosol. MS detected a statistically significant increase in myosin-9, which was also consistent with increased vesicular trafficking. ..
- Malerød L, Juvet L, Hanssen Bauer A, Eskild W, Berg T. Oxysterol-activated LXRalpha/RXR induces hSR-BI-promoter activity in hepatoma cells and preadipocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;299:916-23 pubmed..The LXR/RXR response was mapped within -1,200 to -937 of the promoter region. Gel mobility shift analysis confirmed that the putative LXR response element bound LXRalpha/RXR and LXRbeta/RXR heterodimers. ..
- Calkin A, Drew B, Ono A, Duffy S, Gordon M, Schoenwaelder S, et al. Reconstituted high-density lipoprotein attenuates platelet function in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus by promoting cholesterol efflux. Circulation. 2009;120:2095-104 pubmed publisher..Reconstituted high-density lipoprotein (rHDL) has short-term beneficial effects on atherosclerotic plaques, but whether it can effectively reduce the reactivity of diabetic platelets is not known...
- Ishikawa Y, Kimura Matsumoto M, Murakami M, Yamamoto K, Akasaka Y, Uzuki M, et al. Distribution of smooth muscle cells and macrophages expressing scavenger receptor BI/II in atherosclerosis. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2009;16:829-39 pubmed..The results indicated that SMCs are involved in lipid metabolism via SRBI/II expression mainly in the early stages of atherosclerosis evolution, and that SRBI/II-positive macrophages are mainly involved in advanced stages. ..
- Kocher O, Birrane G, Tsukamoto K, Fenske S, Yesilaltay A, Pal R, et al. In vitro and in vivo analysis of the binding of the C terminus of the HDL receptor scavenger receptor class B, type I (SR-BI), to the PDZ1 domain of its adaptor protein PDZK1. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:34999-5010 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that there may be an additional site(s) within PDZK1 that bind(s) SR-BI and mediate(s) productive SR-BI-PDZK1 interaction previously attributed exclusively to the canonical binding of the C-terminal SR-BI to PDZ1. ..