Genomes and Genes
class e scavenger receptors
Summary: A class of oxidized LDL receptors that contain C-type lectin-like extracellular domains.
- Cao W, Calabro V, Root A, Yan G, Lam K, Olland S, et al. Oligomerization is required for the activity of recombinant soluble LOX-1. FEBS J. 2009;276:4909-20 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that functional oligomerization is required for recombinant LOX-1-Fc to function as an effective antagonist. ..
- Reiss A, Anwar K, Wirkowski P. Lectin-like oxidized low density lipoprotein receptor 1 (LOX-1) in atherogenesis: a brief review. Curr Med Chem. 2009;16:2641-52 pubmed
- Nomata Y, Kume N, Sasai H, Katayama Y, Nakata Y, Okura T, et al. Weight reduction can decrease circulating soluble lectin-like oxidized low-density lipoprotein receptor-1 levels in overweight middle-aged men. Metabolism. 2009;58:1209-14 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that LOX-1 induction may be related to adipocyte metabolism, inflammation, and immune response associated with obesity. ..
- Vincent A, Hayes J, McLean L, Vivekanandan Giri A, Pennathur S, Feldman E. Dyslipidemia-induced neuropathy in mice: the role of oxLDL/LOX-1. Diabetes. 2009;58:2376-85 pubmed publisher..Dyslipidemia leads to high levels of oxLDLs that may injure DRG neurons via LOX-1 and contribute to the development of diabetic neuropathy. ..
- Hu C, Kang B, Megyesi J, Kaushal G, Safirstein R, Mehta J. Deletion of LOX-1 attenuates renal injury following angiotensin II infusion. Kidney Int. 2009;76:521-7 pubmed publisher..Overall, our study suggests that LOX-1 is a key modulator in the development of angiotensin II-induced hypertension and subsequent renal damage. ..
- Zhang P, Liu M, Cheng L, Liang M, Ji H, Fu J. Blockade of LOX-1 prevents endotoxin-induced acute lung inflammation and injury in mice. J Innate Immun. 2009;1:358-65 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results indicate that LOX-1 may serve as a valuable therapeutic target in the prevention of acute lung inflammation and injury in sepsis. ..
- Vietri M, Molinari A, Boggia M, Parisi M, Cioffi M. IVS4-14 A/G and IVS4-73 C/T polymorphisms in OLR1 gene in patients with ischemic cerebrovascular diseases. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers. 2010;14:9-11 pubmed publisher..Future studies are warranted to assess whether the analysis of polymorphisms may be useful for the clinical approach to evaluate risk factors for atherosclerosis and related disorders. ..
- Hag A, Kristoffersen U, Pedersen S, Gutte H, Lebech A, Kjaer A. Regional gene expression of LOX-1, VCAM-1, and ICAM-1 in aorta of HIV-1 transgenic rats. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e8170 pubmed publisher..This transgenic rat model may be a very promising model for further studies of the pathophysiology behind HIV-associated cardiovascular disease. ..
- Lo Y, Pan M, Li S, Yen J, Kou M, Ho C, et al. Nobiletin metabolite, 3',4'-dihydroxy-5,6,7,8-tetramethoxyflavone, inhibits LDL oxidation and down-regulates scavenger receptor expression and activity in THP-1 cells. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2010;1801:114-26 pubmed publisher..The effect is different from that of NOB, from which DTF is derived. This study thus significantly enhanced our understanding on how DTF may be beneficial against atherogenesis. ..
- Ou H, Song T, Yeh Y, Huang C, Yang S, Chiu T, et al. EGCG protects against oxidized LDL-induced endothelial dysfunction by inhibiting LOX-1-mediated signaling. J Appl Physiol (1985). 2010;108:1745-56 pubmed publisher..Results from this study may provide insight into a possible molecular mechanism by which EGCG suppresses oxLDL-mediated vascular endothelial dysfunction. ..
- Ishiyama J, Taguchi R, Yamamoto A, Murakami K. Palmitic acid enhances lectin-like oxidized LDL receptor (LOX-1) expression and promotes uptake of oxidized LDL in macrophage cells. Atherosclerosis. 2010;209:118-24 pubmed publisher..The effects of palmitic acid may be mediated by ROS-p38 pathway rather than TLRs. ..
- Kang B, Hu C, Ryu S, Khan J, Biancolella M, Prayaga S, et al. Genomics of cardiac remodeling in angiotensin II-treated wild-type and LOX-1-deficient mice. Physiol Genomics. 2010;42:42-54 pubmed publisher..This study provides the first set of data on the gene expression profiling of cardiac tissue treated with ANG II and expands on the important role of LOX-1 in cardiac response to ANG II. ..
- Graham L, Parhami F, Tintut Y, Kitchen C, Demer L, Effros R. Oxidized lipids enhance RANKL production by T lymphocytes: implications for lipid-induced bone loss. Clin Immunol. 2009;133:265-75 pubmed publisher..These findings may help elucidate clinical associations between cardiovascular disease and decreased bone mass, and may also lead to new immune-based approaches to osteoporosis. ..
- Ueno T, Fukuda N, Tsunemi A, Yao E, Matsuda H, Tahira K, et al. A novel gene silencer, pyrrole-imidazole polyamide targeting human lectin-like oxidized low-density lipoprotein receptor-1 gene improves endothelial cell function. J Hypertens. 2009;27:508-16 pubmed..Molecular recognition of DNA by small molecules could provide insight into the development of new human medicines. ..
- Schwedler S, Hansen Hagge T, Reichert M, Schmiedeke D, Schneider R, Galle J, et al. Monomeric C-reactive protein decreases acetylated LDL uptake in human endothelial cells. Clin Chem. 2009;55:1728-31 pubmed publisher..Monomeric CRP, but not nCRP, decreased acLDL uptake in human endothelial cells independent of CD16, CD32, or LOX-1. Our data support a protective role of mCRP in cardiovascular disease. ..
- Nickel T, Schmauss D, Hanssen H, Sicic Z, Krebs B, Jankl S, et al. oxLDL uptake by dendritic cells induces upregulation of scavenger-receptors, maturation and differentiation. Atherosclerosis. 2009;205:442-50 pubmed publisher..These results support the hypothesis that vascular inflammation may be aggravated by oxLDL induced DC-activation. ..
- Saito A, Fujimura M, Inoue T, Shimizu H, Tominaga T. Relationship between lectin-like oxidized low-density lipoprotein receptor 1 expression and preoperative echogenic findings of vulnerable carotid plaque. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2010;152:589-95 pubmed publisher..Endothelial MMP-2 might suppress TIMP-2 activation in vulnerable plaques. ..
- Zushi S, Akagi M, Kishimoto H, Teramura T, Sawamura T, Hamanishi C. Induction of bovine articular chondrocyte senescence with oxidized low-density lipoprotein through lectin-like oxidized low-density lipoprotein receptor 1. Arthritis Rheum. 2009;60:3007-16 pubmed publisher..Oxidized LDL may play an important role in the pathogenesis of osteoarthritis by inducing chondrocyte senescence. ..
- Sankaralingam S, Xu H, Jiang Y, Sawamura T, Davidge S. Evidence for increased methylglyoxal in the vasculature of women with preeclampsia: role in upregulation of LOX-1 and arginase. Hypertension. 2009;54:897-904 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, MG-induced LOX-1 expression is mediated via arginase upregulation likely because of uncoupling of NO synthase, which may have implications in preeclampsia...
- Vilser C, Hueller H, Nowicki M, Hmeidan F, Blumenauer V, Spanel Borowski K. The variable expression of lectin-like oxidized low-density lipoprotein receptor (LOX-1) and signs of autophagy and apoptosis in freshly harvested human granulosa cells depend on gonadotropin dose, age, and body weight. Fertil Steril. 2010;93:2706-15 pubmed publisher..The regulation of LOX-1 and of cell death in granulosa cells depends on oxidative stress. It becomes excessive during aging and obesity, because the power of reparative autophagy fades and antioxidant efficiency declines. ..
- Taye A, Saad A, Kumar A, Morawietz H. Effect of apocynin on NADPH oxidase-mediated oxidative stress-LOX-1-eNOS pathway in human endothelial cells exposed to high glucose. Eur J Pharmacol. 2010;627:42-8 pubmed publisher..Apocynin efficiently reversed these consequences, suggesting its potential role as a vasculoprotective agent. ..
- Prochnau D, Rodel J, Prager K, Kuersten D, Heller R, Straube E, et al. Induced expression of lectin-like oxidized ldl receptor-1 in vascular smooth muscle cells following Chlamydia pneumoniae infection and its down-regulation by fluvastatin. Acta Microbiol Immunol Hung. 2010;57:147-55 pubmed publisher..pneumoniae infection and atherosclerosis. The effect of lowering the LOX-1 expression by fluvastatin may provide a pharmacological option of limiting oxLDL uptake via its scavenger receptor...
- Nakano A, Inoue N, Sato Y, Nishimichi N, Takikawa K, Fujita Y, et al. LOX-1 mediates vascular lipid retention under hypertensive state. J Hypertens. 2010;28:1273-80 pubmed publisher..The enhanced expression and activation of LOX-1 mediated the enhancement of vascular permeability, which contributed to the vascular lipid accumulation under hypertensive states. ..
- Kurnaz O, Aydogan H, Isbir C, Tekeli A, Isbir T. Is LOX-1 K167N polymorphism protective for coronary artery disease?. In Vivo. 2009;23:969-73 pubmed..Male sex and smoking decrease the protective effects of the N allele. The adverse effects of the K allele on the CAD risk resulting from the K167N polymorphism appear to be independent of other cardiovascular risk factors. ..
- Iwamoto S, Nishimichi N, Tateishi Y, Sato Y, Horiuchi H, Furusawa S, et al. Generation and characterization of chicken monoclonal antibodies against human LOX-1. MAbs. 2009;1:357-63 pubmed..The results obtained in this study indicate that anti-LOX-1 mAbs might be useful tools for functional analyses and development of therapeutic agents for cardiovascular indications such as atherosclerosis. ..
- Kume N, Mitsuoka H, Hayashida K, Tanaka M, Kominami G, Kita T. Soluble lectin-like oxidized LDL receptor-1 (sLOX-1) as a sensitive and specific biomarker for acute coronary syndrome--comparison with other biomarkers. J Cardiol. 2010;56:159-65 pubmed publisher..848 and 0.476, respectively. Circulating sLOX-1 is a more sensitive and specific biomarker for ACS than TnT and H-FABP, and provides additional diagnostic values when measured in combination with TnT. ..
- Taye A, Sawamura T, Morawietz H. Aldosterone augments LOX-1-mediated low-density lipoprotein uptake in human umbilical artery endothelial cells. Pharmacol Rep. 2010;62:311-8 pubmed
- Sattler S, Ghadially H, Reiche D, Karas I, Hofer E. Evolutionary development and expression pattern of the myeloid lectin-like receptor gene family encoded within the NK gene complex. Scand J Immunol. 2010;72:309-18 pubmed publisher..Further, two additional genes were identified, which do not encode proteins with lectin-like domain structure and seem to be widely expressed. ..
- Serke H, Bausenwein J, Hirrlinger J, Nowicki M, Vilser C, Jogschies P, et al. Granulosa cell subtypes vary in response to oxidized low-density lipoprotein as regards specific lipoprotein receptors and antioxidant enzyme activity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95:3480-90 pubmed publisher..Catalase/GPx activity in the supernatants may be due to cell death or to secretion. Oxidative stress could be sensed by CK(+) cells and indicated by changes in catalase/GPx activity in the follicular fluid during ovarian disorders. ..
- Riazy M, Chen J, Steinbrecher U. VEGF secretion by macrophages is stimulated by lipid and protein components of OxLDL via PI3-kinase and PKCzeta activation and is independent of OxLDL uptake. Atherosclerosis. 2009;204:47-54 pubmed publisher..We conclude that VEGF upregulation is mediated through PI3K and PKCzeta, and does not involve the above three scavenger receptors or require uptake of oxidized LDL. ..
- Mattaliano M, Huard C, Cao W, Hill A, Zhong W, Martinez R, et al. LOX-1-dependent transcriptional regulation in response to oxidized LDL treatment of human aortic endothelial cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2009;296:C1329-37 pubmed publisher..Our study has enabled us to elucidate the gene expression changes following OxLDL activation of LOX-1 in endothelial cells and discover novel downstream targets for LOX-1. ..
- Kelly K, Burford J, Dominguez J. Postischemic inflammatory syndrome: a critical mechanism of progression in diabetic nephropathy. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2009;297:F923-31 pubmed publisher..These data support the hypothesis that acute renal ischemia in obesity-diabetes severely aggravates chronic inflammation and vasculopathy, creating a self-perpetuating postischemia inflammatory syndrome, which accelerates renal failure. ..
- Wang Y, Rao L, Zhou B, Chen Y, Peng Y, Song Y, et al. The G501C polymorphism of the oxidized low-density lipoprotein-receptor 1 gene is associated with acute coronary syndrome in the Han Chinese population. DNA Cell Biol. 2010;29:201-5 pubmed publisher..026, odds ratio = 0.254, 95% confidence interval = 0.070-0.924). The OLR-1 G501C polymorphism might be associated with ACS in the Han Chinese population. ..
- Xie J, Zhu H, Guo L, Ruan Y, Wang L, Sun L, et al. Lectin-like oxidized low-density lipoprotein receptor-1 delivers heat shock protein 60-fused antigen into the MHC class I presentation pathway. J Immunol. 2010;185:2306-13 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate that LOX-1 functions as a receptor for Hsp60 and is involved in the delivery of Hsp60-fused Ag into the MHC class I presentation pathway. ..
- Shih H, Zhang S, Cao W, Hahn A, Wang J, Paulsen J, et al. CRP is a novel ligand for the oxidized LDL receptor LOX-1. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009;296:H1643-50 pubmed publisher..Our study identifies and characterizes the direct interaction between LOX-1 and CRP and suggests that this interaction may mediate CRP-induced endothelial dysfunction. ..
- Chen X, Zhang H, McAfee S, Zhang C. The reciprocal relationship between adiponectin and LOX-1 in the regulation of endothelial dysfunction in ApoE knockout mice. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2010;299:H605-12 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our results indicate that the reciprocal regulation between adiponectin and LOX-1 amplifies oxidative stress and ox-LDL uptake, leading to endothelial dysfunction in atherosclerosis. ..
- Eichhorn B, Muller G, Leuner A, Sawamura T, Ravens U, Morawietz H. Impaired vascular function in small resistance arteries of LOX-1 overexpressing mice on high-fat diet. Cardiovasc Res. 2009;82:493-502 pubmed publisher..LOX-1 overexpression and FD caused functional changes in endothelial and vascular smooth muscle cells of small resistance arteries. ..
- Kang B, Khan J, Ryu S, Shekhar R, Seung K, Mehta J. Curcumin reduces angiotensin II-mediated cardiomyocyte growth via LOX-1 inhibition. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2010;55:417-24 pubmed..We postulated that curcumin may reduce Ang II-mediated cardiomyocyte growth via AT1R and LOX-1 inhibition...
- Nowicki M, Muller K, Serke H, Kosacka J, Vilser C, Ricken A, et al. Oxidized low-density lipoprotein (oxLDL)-induced cell death in dorsal root ganglion cell cultures depends not on the lectin-like oxLDL receptor-1 but on the toll-like receptor-4. J Neurosci Res. 2010;88:403-12 pubmed publisher..We conclude that LOX-1 and TLR4 are expressed in cultivated rat DRG cells and that the oxLDL-induced cell death in DRG cell cultures does not depend on the LOX-1 but on the TLR4. ..
- Serke H, Vilser C, Nowicki M, Hmeidan F, Blumenauer V, Hummitzsch K, et al. Granulosa cell subtypes respond by autophagy or cell death to oxLDL-dependent activation of the oxidized lipoprotein receptor 1 and toll-like 4 receptor. Autophagy. 2009;5:991-1003 pubmed..The CK(+) cells might represent immune-like granulosa cells involved in ovarian remodeling processes. ..
- Ogura S, Kakino A, Sato Y, Fujita Y, Iwamoto S, Otsui K, et al. Lox-1: the multifunctional receptor underlying cardiovascular dysfunction. Circ J. 2009;73:1993-9 pubmed..Furthermore, LOX-1-related tools might open new gateways from diagnosis to therapeutics for cardiovascular diseases. ..
- Mattaliano M, Wooters J, Shih H, Paulsen J. ROCK2 associates with lectin-like oxidized LDL receptor-1 and mediates oxidized LDL-induced IL-8 production. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2010;298:C1180-7 pubmed publisher..In summary, a functional proteomics approach has enabled us to identify novel LOX-1 interactors that potentially contribute to the cellular and signaling functions of LOX-1. ..
- Inoue N, Okamura T, Kokubo Y, Fujita Y, Sato Y, Nakanishi M, et al. LOX index, a novel predictive biochemical marker for coronary heart disease and stroke. Clin Chem. 2010;56:550-8 pubmed publisher..39 (95% CI 1.34-8.53), 3.15 (1.22-8.13) and 3.23 (1.24-8.37), respectively. Higher LOX index values were associated with an increased risk of CHD. Low LOX index values may be protective against ischemic stroke. ..
- Li D, Patel A, Klibanov A, Kramer C, Ruiz M, Kang B, et al. Molecular imaging of atherosclerotic plaques targeted to oxidized LDL receptor LOX-1 by SPECT/CT and magnetic resonance. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2010;3:464-72 pubmed publisher..We sought to detect and assess atherosclerotic plaque in vivo by using single-photon emission computed tomography/computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging and a molecular probe targeted at LOX-1...
- Vohra R, Walker J, Howell G, Homer Vanniasinkam S, Ponnambalam S. The LOX-1 scavenger receptor cytoplasmic domain contains a transplantable endocytic motif. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;383:269-74 pubmed publisher..Thus a transplantable endocytic motif within the LOX-1 cytoplasmic domain is needed to ensure efficient internalization of pro-atherogenic OxLDL particles. ..
- Hirsch H, Iliopoulos D, Joshi A, Zhang Y, Jaeger S, Bulyk M, et al. A transcriptional signature and common gene networks link cancer with lipid metabolism and diverse human diseases. Cancer Cell. 2010;17:348-61 pubmed publisher..We suggest that the interplay between this common transcriptional program and cell-type-specific factors gives rise to phenotypically disparate human diseases. ..
- Zhang M, Gao X, Wu J, Liu D, Cai H, Fu L, et al. Oxidized high-density lipoprotein enhances inflammatory activity in rat mesangial cells. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2010;26:455-63 pubmed publisher..MAPK and nuclear factor-kappaB pathways were involved in the process. The ability of oxidized HDL to negatively influence mesangial cell biology may represent an important mechanism of chronic kidney disease. ..
- Yu J, Li Y, Li M, Qu Z, Ruan Q. Oxidized low density lipoprotein-induced transdifferentiation of bone marrow-derived smooth muscle-like cells into foam-like cells in vitro. Int J Exp Pathol. 2010;91:24-33 pubmed publisher..Moreover, LOX-1 contributes to the ox-LDL-induced transdifferentiation of bone marrow-derived SMLCs into foam-like cells. ..