concanavalin a receptors
Summary: Glycoprotein moieties on the surfaces of cell membranes that bind concanavalin A selectively; the number and location of the sites depends on the type and condition of the cell.
- Perotti M, Riva A. Concanavalin A binding sites on the surface of Drosophila melanogaster sperm: a fluorescence and ultrastructural study. J Ultrastruct Mol Struct Res. 1988;100:173-82 pubmed
- Gestwicki J, Strong L, Cairo C, Boehm F, Kiessling L. Cell aggregation by scaffolded receptor clusters. Chem Biol. 2002;9:163-9 pubmed..We anticipate that synthetic scaffolds will offer a new means of facilitating processes that rely on cell aggregation, such as pathogen clearance and immune recognition. ..
- Wolkowicz M, Shetty J, Westbrook A, Klotz K, Jayes F, Mandal A, et al. Equatorial segment protein defines a discrete acrosomal subcompartment persisting throughout acrosomal biogenesis. Biol Reprod. 2003;69:735-45 pubmed..Based on these observations, we propose a new model of acrosome biogenesis in which the equatorial segment is defined as a discrete domain within the acrosomal vesicle as early as the Golgi phase of acrosome biogenesis. ..
- Weil Hillman G, Levi R, Zakay Rones Z. Increase in concanavalin A cap formation on lymphoma cells following interaction with inactive influenza viruses. Acta Virol. 1991;35:238-46 pubmed..These changes induced increased lateral movement of the Con A receptors resulting into formation of a cap. ..
- Renau Piqueras J, Guerri C, Burgal M, de Paz P, Saez R, Mayordomo F. Prenatal exposure to ethanol alters plasma membrane glycoproteins of astrocytes during development in primary culture as revealed by concanavalin A binding and 5'-nucleotidase activity. Glia. 1992;5:65-74 pubmed
- Baldi F, Pepi M, Capone A, della Giovampaola C, Milanesi C, Fani R, et al. Envelope glycosylation determined by lectins in microscopy sections of Acinetobacter venetianus induced by diesel fuel. Res Microbiol. 2003;154:417-24 pubmed..8 kDa. However, they were all constitutive and probably involved in cell biofilm formation at the oil surface. ..
- Mutharia L, Steele M. Characterization of concanavalin A-binding glycoproteins from procyclic culture forms of Trypanosoma congolense, T. simiae and T. brucei brucei. Parasitol Res. 1995;81:245-52 pubmed..5- and 59-kDa surface glycoproteins contained sialic acid residues. The glycoproteins identified in this study provide a starting point for further structure and function studies. ..
- Kundu M, Basu J, Rakshit M, Chakrabarti P. Abnormalities in erythrocyte membrane band 3 in chronic myelogenous leukemia. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1989;985:97-100 pubmed..Kundu, M., Rakshit, M.M. and Chakrabarti, P. (1988) Biochim. Biophys. Acta 945, 121-126). ..
- Schindler J, de Vries U. Polarized distribution of binding sites for concanavalin A and wheat-germ agglutinin in the zona pellucida of goodeid oocytes (teleostei). Histochemistry. 1989;91:413-7 pubmed..After prolonged digestion with neuraminidase, WGA binding sites were no longer detectable. ..
- Doekes G, van Ieperen van Dijk A. Allergens of Pityrosporum ovale and Candida albicans. I. Cross-reactivity of IgE-binding components. Allergy. 1993;48:394-400 pubmed..albicans components. The apparently higher avidity for P. ovale allergens suggests that these antiyeast IgE antibodies in AD result from sensitization to P. ovale and cross-react with C. albicans. ..
- Mleczko J, Litke L, Larsen H, Chaffin W. Effect of glutaraldehyde fixation on cell surface binding capacity of Candida albicans. Infect Immun. 1989;57:3247-9 pubmed..Both fluorescence flow cytometric analysis and transmission electron microscopy indicated that glutaraldehyde-fixed cells bound less of the two reagents than did unfixed viable cells. ..
- Puccia R, Travassos L. The 43-kDa glycoprotein from the human pathogen Paracoccidioides brasiliensis and its deglycosylated form: excretion and susceptibility to proteolysis. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1991;289:298-302 pubmed..The present results provide a basis for the understanding of diagnostic reactions and fungal virulence involving the gp43 exocellular antigen of P. brasiliensis. ..
- Brown M, Loew L. Electric field-directed fibroblast locomotion involves cell surface molecular reorganization and is calcium independent. J Cell Biol. 1994;127:117-28 pubmed..Electric fields cause the lateral migration of plasma membrane concanavalin A receptors toward the cathode in both NIH 3T3 and SV101 fibroblasts...
- Ishioka N, Kurioka S. Analysis of Con A-binding glycoproteins in synaptosomal membranes. Neurochem Res. 1992;17:1011-4 pubmed..85-7.5) with MW 51 kDa, was characterized by its binding to an immobilized protein A gel. This implies that GP51 is related to immunoglobulins and/or GP51 may be a new member of the immunoglobulin supergene family. ..
- Kwiatkowska K, Sobota A. Local accumulation of alpha-spectrin-related protein under plasma membrane during capping and phagocytosis in Acanthamoeba. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 1997;36:253-65 pubmed
- Williamson P, Massey W, Phelps B, Schlegel R. Membrane phase state and the rearrangement of hematopoietic cell surface receptors. Mol Cell Biol. 1981;1:128-35 pubmed..findings, we propose a model of hematopoietic cell surface differentiation in which proteins such as concanavalin A receptors, which are destined for removal from the plasma membrane, are specifically associated with disordered, ..
- Turner C, Shotton D. Isolation and initial biochemical characterisation of caps of two major rat thymocyte glycoproteins: evidence for the involvement of a 205 K Con A binding protein and cytoskeletal components in capping. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 1987;8:37-43 pubmed..These results suggest that gp205 may be involved in the association of cross-linked glycoproteins with the cytoskeleton during capping. ..
- Lu R, Chen C, Lin H, Huang L, Jin X. Preliminary validation of tumor cell attachment inhibition assay for developmental toxicants with mouse S180 cells. Biomed Environ Sci. 1999;12:253-9 pubmed..Furthermore, after optimal validation, it can be suggested that an S180 cell attachment assay may be a candidate for a series of assays to detect developmental toxicants. ..
- Kasper M, Goertchen R, Gottschalk J. [Light microscopic studies of concanavalin A binding in the choroid plexus epithelium and ependymal cells of the cerebral ventricle and human tumors derived from those tissues]. Zentralbl Allg Pathol. 1987;133:331-6 pubmed..A similar but less clear-cut staining pattern by concanavalin A was observed with plexus papillomas and ependymomas. A clear discrimination however, between the two tumor types using this method is not possible. ..
- Rutenber E, Katzin B, Ernst S, Collins E, Mlsna D, Ready M, et al. Crystallographic refinement of ricin to 2.5 A. Proteins. 1991;10:240-50 pubmed..The R factor is not a completely satisfactory indicator of refinement progress; difference Fouriers, when observed carefully, may be a better monitor. ..
- Nawarak J, Phutrakul S, Chen S. Analysis of lectin-bound glycoproteins in snake venom from the Elapidae and Viperidae families. J Proteome Res. 2004;3:383-92 pubmed..Protein sequences were compared with published protein databases to determine for their biological functions. ..
- Chilson O, Kelly Chilson A. Disulfide-linked receptors for mitogenic lectins on piglet lymphocytes. Eur J Immunol. 1988;18:1581-6 pubmed
- Shu S, Liu X, Korn E. Blebbistatin and blebbistatin-inactivated myosin II inhibit myosin II-independent processes in Dictyostelium. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:1472-7 pubmed
- Arhets P, Gounon P, Sansonetti P, Guillen N. Myosin II is involved in capping and uroid formation in the human pathogen Entamoeba histolytica. Infect Immun. 1995;63:4358-67 pubmed
- Afdhal N, Gong D, Niu N, Turner B, Lamont J, Offner G. Cholesterol cholelithiasis in the prairie dog: role of mucin and nonmucin glycoproteins. Hepatology. 1993;17:693-700 pubmed..Therefore the increased biliary glycoprotein level in cholesterol-fed, prostaglandin E1-treated prairie dogs, which reflects higher levels of mucin and nonmucin glycoproteins, appears to be an important factor in gallstone formation. ..
- Carmieli R, Manikandan P, Kalb Gilboa A, Goldfarb D. Proton positions in the Mn(2+) binding site of concanavalin A as determined by single-crystal high-field ENDOR spectroscopy. J Am Chem Soc. 2001;123:8378-86 pubmed..J. Chem. Soc., Faraday Trans. 1997, 93(24), 4305-4312). ..
- Luk A, Kaler E, Lee S. Protein lipid interaction in bile: effects of biliary proteins on the stability of cholesterol-lecithin vesicles. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1998;1390:282-92 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that biliary proteins can destabilize lipid vesicles and that different proteins play different roles in the mechanism of cholesterol gallstone formation. ..
- Aguado Velasco C, Bretscher M. Dictyostelium myosin II null mutant can still cap Con A receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:9684-6 pubmed..This shows that cap formation is not absolutely dependent on myosin II and that a close mechanistic relationship between capping, particle movement, and cell migration may still exist. ..
- Costa O, Bouthet C, Sauvage P, Michel J, Deschaux P. Age-dependent LH and FSH effect on the proliferation of women's peripheral blood lymphocytes in vitro. Int J Immunopharmacol. 1990;12:821-9 pubmed..The possible physiological significance of these results is discussed. ..
- Tanida T, Ueta E, Tobiume A, Hamada T, Rao F, Osaki T. Influence of aging on candidal growth and adhesion regulatory agents in saliva. J Oral Pathol Med. 2001;30:328-35 pubmed
- Gercel Taylor C, Bazzett L, Taylor D. Presence of aberrant tumor-reactive immunoglobulins in the circulation of patients with ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2001;81:71-6 pubmed..This altered IgG appeared to be the primary class of tumor-reactive antibodies in these women. ..
- Nishizaki T. N-glycosylation sites on the nicotinic ACh receptor subunits regulate receptor channel desensitization and conductance. Brain Res Mol Brain Res. 2003;114:172-6 pubmed..Mean opening time of single-channel currents was little affected by the mutation. N-glycosylation sites, thus, appear to play a role in the regulation of ACh receptor desensitization and ion permeability. ..
- Ooya T, Eguchi M, Yui N. Supramolecular design for multivalent interaction: maltose mobility along polyrotaxane enhanced binding with concanavalin A. J Am Chem Soc. 2003;125:13016-7 pubmed..Therefore, we concluded that the high mobility of maltose groups along the polyrotaxane structure contributes to enhanced Con A recognition. ..
- Yanaguimoto H, Ishizuki S, Fujihira E. Immunosuppressive acidic protein (IAP) level used to monitor adjuvant arthritis in rats. Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol. 2000;108:57-61 pubmed..Our results suggest that IAP can be used to monitor the symptoms of inflammation and the efficacy of anti-inflammatory drugs. ..
- Cairo C, Gestwicki J, Kanai M, Kiessling L. Control of multivalent interactions by binding epitope density. J Am Chem Soc. 2002;124:1615-9 pubmed..Our results provide insight into the design of ligands for controlling receptor-receptor interactions and can be used to illuminate mechanisms by which natural multivalent displays function. ..
- Kucik D, Kuo S, Elson E, Sheetz M. Preferential attachment of membrane glycoproteins to the cytoskeleton at the leading edge of lamella. J Cell Biol. 1991;114:1029-36 pubmed..Such a mechanism would be most efficient if the leading edge of the cell contained preferential sites for attachment and transport. ..
- Suzuki T, Tomioka M, Uchida M. Inhibitory effects of steroidal anesthetics on histamine release from rat mast cells stimulated by concanavalin A, compound 48/80 and A23187. Gen Pharmacol. 1988;19:435-40 pubmed..3. It is concluded that the inhibitory effects of these compounds were not due to their anesthetic properties, but may have been due to their inhibition of steps of the release cascade that open calcium channels and subsequent steps. ..
- Favero J, Miquel F, Dornand J, Mani J. Determination of mitogenic properties and lymphocyte target sites of Dolichos lablab lectin (DLA): comparative study with concanavalin A and galactose oxidase cell surface receptors. Cell Immunol. 1988;112:302-14 pubmed..These differences could be explained by the lower molecular weight receptors of the two lectins which are not identical. ..
- Manabe T, Higuchi N, Okuyama T. Staining of serum concanavalin A-binding proteins after micro two-dimensional electrophoresis and blotting. J Chromatogr. 1987;423:115-22 pubmed
- Arai T, Matsumoto G. Axolinin localization in the nervous tissue of squid revealed by monoclonal antibodies specific for axolinin: characterization of monoclonal antibodies against axolinin. Hybridoma. 1988;7:583-93 pubmed..It follows from our results that polyclonal antisera against axolinin cannot generally be expected to be specific for this protein. ..
- Shibata S, Natori Y, Hayakawa I. Nephritogenic glycoprotein. XIII. Isolation and its immunochemical characterization of the antigenic substance of membranous glomerulonephritis induced by a single injection of crude nephritogenoside in homologous animals. Nephron. 1989;51:243-9 pubmed..These results suggest immunologically that fr. 36 is the main antigen responsible for the development of MG which is induced in homologous animals by a single footpad injection of CNG. ..
- Wei X, Cai J, Liu F, Tao J, Su Y. Possibility of signal transduction through microfilaments below the membrane following ligand-receptor interaction. Chin Med Sci J. 1993;8:218-22 pubmed..These results suggest that microfilaments might play a role in transferring signals from the membrane to the nucleus. ..
- Champaneria S, Holland P, Karpati G, Guerin C. Developmental regulation of cell-surface glycoproteins in clonal cultures of human skeletal muscle satellite cells. Biochem Cell Biol. 1989;67:128-36 pubmed..These studies represent the first systematic analysis of the surface proteins of pure, clonally derived, primary cultures of normal myogenic cells. ..
- Eskelinen S, Peura R. Location and identification of colloidal gold particles on the cell surface with a scanning electron microscope and energy dispersive analyzer. Scanning Microsc. 1988;2:1765-74 pubmed..High-resolution photographs of the same cells were obtained up to the same magnification of 100,000. ..
- Shibata S, Takeda T, Natori Y. The structure of nephritogenoside. A nephritogenic glycopeptide with alpha-N-glycosidic linkage. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:12483-5 pubmed
- Kakaiya R, Kiraly T, Cable R. Concanavalin A induces patching/capping of the platelet membrane glycoprotein IIb/IIIa complex. Thromb Haemost. 1988;59:281-3 pubmed..It is possible that glycoprotein IIb/IIIa redistribution might be intimately involved during platelet attachment and spreading. ..
- Chanh T, Alderete B. A rapid method for quantitating lymphocyte receptor capping: capping defect in AIDS patients. J Virol Methods. 1990;29:257-65 pubmed..A pronounced defect in receptor capping of PBM cells from AIDS patients was observed. This technique represents a rapid and reproducible means for detecting early changes in cell membrane receptor mobility. ..
- Ke Feng F, Ting Ting Y, Meng Xiang S. Mosaicism in the organization of Con A binding sites on the membrane surface of female cells of Nicotiana tabacum. New Phytol. 2005;167:743-50 pubmed..Therefore, polarity of the plasma membrane component of female cells was confirmed for the first time. It is proposed that such polarized ConA binding sites could be involved in sperm recognition. ..
- Trissl D, Martinez Palomo A, Arguello C, de la Torre M, de la Hoz R. Surface properties related to concanavalin A-induced agglutination. A comparative study of several Entamoeba strains. J Exp Med. 1977;145:652-65 pubmed..Results of one strain cultured in axenic and monoxenic conditions suggested that bacteria can modify the behaviour of E. histolytica trophozoites by altering surface properties of the amebas. ..
- Sciola L, Cogoli Greuter M, Cogoli A, Spano A, Pippia P. Influence of microgravity on mitogen binding and cytoskeleton in Jurkat cells. Adv Space Res. 1999;24:801-5 pubmed..No changes are found in the structure of actin and in the colocalisation of actin on the inner side of the cell membrane with the Con A receptors after binding of the mitogen. ..
- Huang H, Jiang D, Li Z. [Metastatic potential correlates with cell surface carbohydrate profiles of nasopharyngeal carcinoma]. Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi. 1996;31:165-7 pubmed..So, the increased expression of UEA-I receptors and decrease of ConA receptors on tumor cells might have been implicated in the expression of metastatic potential. ..
- Huckel C, Kusnierczyk P, Jenssen H, Pajtasz E, Brock J. [Relations between concanavalin A binding and cell proliferation. Comparison of Lyt-1+ and Lyt-2+ lymphocyte subpopulations from the spleen of unstimulated mice and mixed lymphocyte culture]. Allerg Immunol (Leipz). 1987;33:71-8 pubmed..The results are discussed in context of Lyt-phenotypic and functional differences between T cell subpopulations and seem to contradict a strict correlation between Con A binding and cell function. ..
- Trenn G, Takayama H, Sitkovsky M. Exocytosis of cytolytic granules may not be required for target cell lysis by cytotoxic T-lymphocytes. Nature. 1987;330:72-4 pubmed..This dissociation of exocytosis of granules and delivery of the lethal hit suggests that cytolytic granules may not be involved in target-cell lysis by CTL. ..