Genomes and Genes
Summary: Glycoprotein molecules on the surface of cells that react with or bind to laminin whose function allows the binding of epithelial cells to the basement membrane. The molecular weight of this high-affinity receptor is 67 kD.
- Kim K, Chung J, Kim K. 67-kDa laminin receptor promotes internalization of cytotoxic necrotizing factor 1-expressing Escherichia coli K1 into human brain microvascular endothelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2005;280:1360-8 pubmed..Taken together, this is the first demonstration that E. coli K1 invasion of HBMEC occurs through the ligand-receptor (CNF1-67LR) interaction, and 67LR promotes CNF1-expressing E. coli K1 internalization of HBMEC. ..
- Pflanz H, Vana K, Mitteregger G, Renner Müller I, Pace C, Kuchenhoff H, et al. Scrapie-infected transgenic mice expressing a laminin receptor decoy mutant reveal a prolonged incubation time associated with low levels of PrPres. J Mol Biol. 2009;388:721-9 pubmed publisher..Our results recommend the laminin receptor decoy mutant as an alternative therapeutic tool for treatment of transmissible spongiform encephalopathies. ..
- Thepparit C, Smith D. Serotype-specific entry of dengue virus into liver cells: identification of the 37-kilodalton/67-kilodalton high-affinity laminin receptor as a dengue virus serotype 1 receptor. J Virol. 2004;78:12647-56 pubmed..No inhibition of virus entry was seen with dengue virus serotypes 2, 3, or 4, demonstrating that the 37/67-kDa high-affinity laminin receptor is a serotype-specific receptor for dengue virus entry into liver cells. ..
- Donaldson E, McKenna D, McMullen C, Scott W, Stitt A, Nelson J. The expression of membrane-associated 67-kDa laminin receptor (67LR) is modulated in vitro by cell-contact inhibition. Mol Cell Biol Res Commun. 2000;3:53-9 pubmed..Thus, the differential expression of 67LR between dividing and contact-inhibited cells may indicate a role for this receptor during proliferative processes. ..
- Tysnes B, Haugland H, Bjerkvig R. Epidermal growth factor and laminin receptors contribute to migratory and invasive properties of gliomas. Invasion Metastasis. 1997;17:270-80 pubmed..These elements contribute to the characteristic features of glioma cells and may be an important part of the complex relationships between growth factors, integrins and extracellular matrix during glioma cell invasion. ..
- Feltri M, Graus Porta D, Previtali S, Nodari A, Migliavacca B, Cassetti A, et al. Conditional disruption of beta 1 integrin in Schwann cells impedes interactions with axons. J Cell Biol. 2002;156:199-209 pubmed..We describe mice in which Schwann cell-specific disruption of beta1 integrin, a component of laminin receptors, causes a severe neuropathy with impaired radial sorting of axons...
- Rao C, Castronovo V, Schmitt M, Wewer U, Claysmith A, Liotta L, et al. Evidence for a precursor of the high-affinity metastasis-associated murine laminin receptor. Biochemistry. 1989;28:7476-86 pubmed
- Zuber C, Mitteregger G, Pace C, Zerr I, Kretzschmar H, Weiss S. Anti-LRP/LR antibody W3 hampers peripheral PrPSc propagation in scrapie infected mice. Prion. 2007;1:207-12 pubmed
- Pflanz H, Vana K, Mitteregger G, Pace C, Messow D, Sedlaczek C, et al. Microinjection of lentiviral vectors expressing small interfering RNAs directed against laminin receptor precursor mRNA prolongs the pre-clinical phase in scrapie-infected mice. J Gen Virol. 2009;90:269-74 pubmed publisher..Lentiviral vectors expressing siRNAs targeting LRP mRNA represent a novel delivery system for the treatment of transmissible spongiform encephalopathies. ..
- Fujimura Y, Yamada K, Tachibana H. A lipid raft-associated 67kDa laminin receptor mediates suppressive effect of epigallocatechin-3-O-gallate on FcepsilonRI expression. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005;336:674-81 pubmed..Thus, these results suggest that the lipid raft-associated 67LR plays an important role in mediating the FcepsilonRI-suppressive action of EGCG. ..
- Colognato H, Yurchenco P. Form and function: the laminin family of heterotrimers. Dev Dyn. 2000;218:213-34 pubmed
- Zuber C, Mitteregger G, Schuhmann N, Rey C, Knackmuss S, Rupprecht W, et al. Delivery of single-chain antibodies (scFvs) directed against the 37/67 kDa laminin receptor into mice via recombinant adeno-associated viral vectors for prion disease gene therapy. J Gen Virol. 2008;89:2055-61 pubmed publisher
- de Curtis I, Quaranta V, Tamura R, Reichardt L. Laminin receptors in the retina: sequence analysis of the chick integrin alpha 6 subunit. Evidence for transcriptional and posttranslational regulation. J Cell Biol. 1991;113:405-16 pubmed..In other retinal neurons the expression of alpha 6 mRNA and protein remains high while function is lost, suggesting that the function of the alpha 6 beta 1 heterodimer in these cells is regulated by posttranslational mechanisms. ..
- Chen F, Qian Y, Duan Y, Ren W, Yang Y, Zhang C, et al. Down-regulation of 67LR reduces the migratory activity of human glioma cells in vitro. Brain Res Bull. 2009;79:402-8 pubmed publisher..This study provided a new alternative to gene therapy for glioma treatment. ..
- Glukhova M, Koteliansky V, Fondacci C, Marotte F, Rappaport L. Laminin variants and integrin laminin receptors in developing and adult human smooth muscle. Dev Biol. 1993;157:437-47 pubmed
- Fernandez M, Castronovo V, Rao C, Sobel M. The high affinity murine laminin receptor is a member of a multicopy gene family. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1991;175:84-90 pubmed..The discovery of multiple transcripts of laminin receptor genes suggests that there is a strong selective pressure to maintain laminin receptor expression in murine cells. ..
- Lugassy C, Torres Muñoz J, Kleinman H, Ghanem G, Vernon S, Barnhill R. Overexpression of malignancy-associated laminins and laminin receptors by angiotropic human melanoma cells in a chick chorioallantoic membrane model. J Cutan Pathol. 2009;36:1237-43 pubmed publisher..In this study, we have tested the hypothesis that expression levels of some genes related to lamimin and metastasis are differentially expressed in vascularized angiotropic melanoma areas vs. avascular melanoma areas from the same tumor...
- Muschler J, Lochter A, Roskelley C, Yurchenco P, Bissell M. Division of labor among the alpha6beta4 integrin, beta1 integrins, and an E3 laminin receptor to signal morphogenesis and beta-casein expression in mammary epithelial cells. Mol Biol Cell. 1999;10:2817-28 pubmed..These results elucidate the multiplicity of cell-extracellular matrix interactions required to integrate cell structure and signaling and ultimately permit normal cell function. ..
- Castronovo V, Taraboletti G, Sobel M. Functional domains of the 67-kDa laminin receptor precursor. J Biol Chem. 1991;266:20440-6 pubmed..Furthermore, we propose peptide G as a potential inhibitor of tumor cell interactions with laminin. ..
- Menard S, Tagliabue E, Colnaghi M. The 67 kDa laminin receptor as a prognostic factor in human cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 1998;52:137-45 pubmed..In particular, therapeutic approaches that downregulate expression of the receptor on tumor cells might lead to decreased tumor aggressiveness. ..
- Condic M, Letourneau P. Ligand-induced changes in integrin expression regulate neuronal adhesion and neurite outgrowth. Nature. 1997;389:852-6 pubmed..These results indicate that integrin regulation maintains neuronal growth-cone motility over a broad range of ligand concentrations, allowing axons to invade different tissues during development and regeneration. ..
- Fujimura Y, Umeda D, Kiyohara Y, Sunada Y, Yamada K, Tachibana H. The involvement of the 67 kDa laminin receptor-mediated modulation of cytoskeleton in the degranulation inhibition induced by epigallocatechin-3-O-gallate. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;348:524-31 pubmed..These findings suggest that EGCG-induced inhibition of the degranulation includes the primary binding of EGCG to the cell surface 67LR and subsequent modulation of cytoskeleton. ..
- Fujimura Y, Umeda D, Yamada K, Tachibana H. The impact of the 67kDa laminin receptor on both cell-surface binding and anti-allergic action of tea catechins. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2008;476:133-8 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that both the galloyl moiety and the B-ring hydroxylation pattern contribute to the exertion of biological activities of tea catechins and their 67LR-dependencies. ..
- Sonnenberg A, Modderman P, Hogervorst F. Laminin receptor on platelets is the integrin VLA-6. Nature. 1988;336:487-9 pubmed..Platelet adhesion to laminin is supported by Mn2+, Co2+ and Mg2+, but not by Ca2+, Zn2+ and Cu2+. This cation preference is distinct from that characteristic for other platelet-adhesive glycoproteins. ..
- Tachibana H, Koga K, Fujimura Y, Yamada K. A receptor for green tea polyphenol EGCG. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2004;11:380-1 pubmed..Experiments using surface plasmon resonance demonstrate binding of EGCG to the 67-kDa laminin receptor with a nanomolar K (d) value. ..
- Jamieson K, Wu J, Hubbard S, Meruelo D. Crystal structure of the human laminin receptor precursor. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:3002-5 pubmed..Here, we report the crystal structure of human LamR, which provides insights into its function and should facilitate the design of novel therapeutics targeting LamR. ..
- Zuber C, Knackmuss S, Rey C, Reusch U, Röttgen P, Frohlich T, et al. Single chain Fv antibodies directed against the 37 kDa/67 kDa laminin receptor as therapeutic tools in prion diseases. Mol Immunol. 2008;45:144-51 pubmed..40% in the spleen of scrapie infected C57BL/6 mice 90 days post scFv injection, suggesting that scFv S18 interferes with peripheral PrP(Sc) propagation, without a significant prolongation of incubation and survival times. ..
- Weaver C, Yoshida C, de Curtis I, Reichardt L. Expression and in vitro function of beta 1-integrin laminin receptors in the developing avian ciliary ganglion. J Neurosci. 1995;15:5275-85 pubmed..used subunit-specific antibodies to determine which of the five beta 1-containing heterodimers known to be laminin receptors (alpha 1 beta 1, alpha 2 beta 1, alpha 6 beta 1, alpha 7 beta 1) are expressed, and which mediate neurite ..
- Lenter M, Vestweber D. The integrin chains beta 1 and alpha 6 associate with the chaperone calnexin prior to integrin assembly. J Biol Chem. 1994;269:12263-8 pubmed..Our data suggest that calnexin is involved in the assembly of beta 1 integrins, as well as in the retention of a pool of immature integrin beta 1-chains in the ER. ..
- Menard S, Castronovo V, Tagliabue E, Sobel M. New insights into the metastasis-associated 67 kD laminin receptor. J Cell Biochem. 1997;67:155-65 pubmed..Downregulation of the receptor expression on tumor cells might open new therapeutic approaches to decrease tumor aggressiveness. ..
- Starkey J, Uthayakumar S, Berglund D. Cell surface and substrate distribution of the 67-kDa laminin-binding protein determined by using a ligand photoaffinity probe. Cytometry. 1999;35:37-47 pubmed..These results demonstrate the utility of this novel probe in diverse experimental protocols, and suggest that shedding of the 67-kDa LBP may have a role in promoting tumor cell invasion. ..
- Wewer U, Liotta L, Jaye M, Ricca G, Drohan W, Claysmith A, et al. Altered levels of laminin receptor mRNA in various human carcinoma cells that have different abilities to bind laminin. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1986;83:7137-41 pubmed..of laminin receptor mRNA in a variety of human carcinoma-derived cell lines correlated with the number of laminin receptors on the cell surfaces of those cells...
- Bignon C, Roux Dosseto M, Zeigler M, Mattei M, Lissitzky J, Wicha M, et al. Genomic analysis of the 67-kDa laminin receptor in normal and pathological tissues: circumstantial evidence for retroposon features. Genomics. 1991;10:481-5 pubmed..Comparison of our experimental results to the known features of processed retropseudogenes enabled us to conclude that the LR gene belongs to a retroposon family in mammals. ..
- Qiao J, Su X, Wang Y, Yang J, Kouadir M, Zhou X, et al. Cloning and characterization of full-length coding sequence (CDS) of the ovine 37/67-kDa laminin receptor (RPSA). Mol Biol Rep. 2009;36:2131-7 pubmed publisher..In addition, multiple-tissues RT-PCR results revealed that 37/67-kDa LRP/LR mRNA is expressed in all the 11 selected ovine tissues...
- Umeda D, Yano S, Yamada K, Tachibana H. Green tea polyphenol epigallocatechin-3-gallate signaling pathway through 67-kDa laminin receptor. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:3050-8 pubmed..Additionally, we found that eEF1A is up-regulated by EGCG through 67LR. Overall, these findings implicate both eEF1A and MYPT1 in EGCG signaling for cancer prevention through 67LR. ..
- Fujimura Y, Umeda D, Yano S, Maeda Yamamoto M, Yamada K, Tachibana H. The 67kDa laminin receptor as a primary determinant of anti-allergic effects of O-methylated EGCG. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007;364:79-85 pubmed..These results suggest that anti-allergic effects of EGCG3"Me may be triggered by the inhibition of MRLC or ERK1/2 phosphorylation mediated through the cell-surface 67LR. ..
- Li D, Chen J, Gao Z, Li X, Yan X, Xiong Y, et al. 67-kDa laminin receptor in human bile duct carcinoma. Eur Surg Res. 2009;42:168-73 pubmed publisher..Overexpressing 67LR on bile duct carcinoma was associated with invasion and metastasis of bile duct carcinoma. Blockage of 67LR suppressed adhesion and invasion of bile duct carcinoma. ..
- Zhou L, Xie M, Zhou J, Tao L. 67-kDa laminin receptor in human laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma. Laryngoscope. 2006;116:28-32 pubmed..Laryngeal carcinoma cells over-expressing 67LR have a stronger aggressive potential, which might make 67LR a promising target for the treatment of metastatic tumor. ..
- Falcioni R, Antonini A, Nistico P, Di Stefano S, Crescenzi M, Natali P, et al. Alpha 6 beta 4 and alpha 6 beta 1 integrins associate with ErbB-2 in human carcinoma cell lines. Exp Cell Res. 1997;236:76-85 pubmed..chromatography and Western blot analyses of purified immune complexes, we studied the association of laminin receptors (alpha 6 beta 1 and alpha 6 beta 4) with ErbB-2 tyrosine kinase in human carcinoma cell lines...
- Feltri M, D Antonio M, Previtali S, Fasolini M, Messing A, Wrabetz L. P0-Cre transgenic mice for inactivation of adhesion molecules in Schwann cells. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1999;883:116-23 pubmed
- Asano Y, Takashima S, Asakura M, Shintani Y, Liao Y, Minamino T, et al. Lamr1 functional retroposon causes right ventricular dysplasia in mice. Nat Genet. 2004;36:123-30 pubmed..Thus, we concluded that products of the Lamr1 retroposon interact with HP1 to cause degeneration of cardiomyocytes. This mechanism may also contribute to the etiology of human ARVD. ..
- Nelson J, McFerran N, Pivato G, Chambers E, Doherty C, Steele D, et al. The 67 kDa laminin receptor: structure, function and role in disease. Biosci Rep. 2008;28:33-48 pubmed publisher..Here we review the current understanding of the structure and function of this molecule, as well as highlighting areas requiring further research. ..
- Hundt C, Peyrin J, Haik S, Gauczynski S, Leucht C, Rieger R, et al. Identification of interaction domains of the prion protein with its 37-kDa/67-kDa laminin receptor. EMBO J. 2001;20:5876-86 pubmed..Considering the absence of LRP homodimerization and the direct and indirect LRP-PrP interaction sites, we propose a comprehensive model for the LRP-PrP-HSPG complex. ..
- Grossi A, Yadav K, Lawson M. Mechanical stimulation increases proliferation, differentiation and protein expression in culture: stimulation effects are substrate dependent. J Biomech. 2007;40:3354-62 pubmed..When mechanically stimulated via laminin receptors on cell surface, C(2)C(12) cells showed an increase in cell proliferation and differentiation...
- Gloe T, Pohl U. Laminin binding conveys mechanosensing in endothelial cells. News Physiol Sci. 2002;17:166-9 pubmed..The laminin binding protein is one of these matrix receptors and is critically involved in sensing and quantification of shear stress. ..
- Montuori N, Muller F, De Riu S, Fenzi G, Sobel M, Rossi G, et al. Laminin receptors in differentiated thyroid tumors: restricted expression of the 67-kilodalton laminin receptor in follicular carcinoma cells. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999;84:2086-92 pubmedThe expression of integrin laminin receptors was investigated in normal thyroid primary cultures; immortalized normal thyroid cells (TAD-2); papillary (NPA), follicular (WRO), and anaplastic (ARO) thyroid tumor cell lines; seven thyroid ..
- Zhang S, Fulton A. Modulation of integrin-laminin receptor function on mammary tumor cells by prostaglandin E2 receptor antagonism. Cancer Lett. 1994;85:233-8 pubmed..Immunoprecipitation studies of untreated or LEO101-treated cells indicate that the expression of the alpha 3 integrin, but not other integrins, was decreased by LEO101. ..
- Tawil N, Houde M, Blacher R, Esch F, Reichardt L, Turner D, et al. Alpha 1 beta 1 integrin heterodimer functions as a dual laminin/collagen receptor in neural cells. Biochemistry. 1990;29:6540-4 pubmed..These data suggest strongly that the integrin recognized by 3A3 is the rat homologue of VLA-1, i.e., alpha 1 beta 1, and that alpha 1 beta 1 is a dual laminin/collagen receptor. ..
- Kolodziejczak D, Da Costa Dias B, Zuber C, Jovanovic K, Omar A, Beck J, et al. Prion interaction with the 37-kDa/67-kDa laminin receptor on enterocytes as a cellular model for intestinal uptake of prions. J Mol Biol. 2010;402:293-300 pubmed publisher..BSE may not be transmissible to cervids. Our data recommend the enterocyte model system for further investigations of the intestinal pathophysiology of alimentary prion infections. ..
- Siegel S, Wagner A, Friedrichs B, Wendeler A, Wendel L, Kabelitz D, et al. Identification of HLA-A*0201-presented T cell epitopes derived from the oncofetal antigen-immature laminin receptor protein in patients with hematological malignancies. J Immunol. 2006;176:6935-44 pubmed..The identification of OFA-iLR-derived peptide epitopes provides a basis for tumor immunological studies and therapeutic vaccination strategies in patients with OFA-iLR-expressing malignancies. ..