Genomes and Genes
Summary: Specific molecular sites on the surface of B- and T-lymphocytes which combine with IgEs. Two subclasses exist: low affinity receptors (Fc epsilon RII) and high affinity receptors (Fc epsilon RI).
- Hjelm F, Karlsson M, Heyman B. A novel B cell-mediated transport of IgE-immune complexes to the follicle of the spleen. J Immunol. 2008;180:6604-10 pubmed..The findings suggest that IgE- and IgG2a-immune complexes are efficient stimulators of early CD4(+) T cell responses and that Ag bound to IgE has a specific route for transportation into follicles. ..
- Ryu H, Walker J, Kim S, Koo N, Barak L, Noguchi T, et al. Regulation of M2-type pyruvate kinase mediated by the high-affinity IgE receptors is required for mast cell degranulation. Br J Pharmacol. 2008;154:1035-46 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the manipulation of glycolytic processes and intermediates could provide novel strategies for the treatment of allergic diseases. ..
- Torres A, Vasudevan L, Holowka D, Baird B. Focal adhesion proteins connect IgE receptors to the cytoskeleton as revealed by micropatterned ligand arrays. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:17238-44 pubmed publisher..present specific ligands in spatially defined arrays are used to examine structural linkages between clustered IgE receptors (IgE-Fc epsilonRI) and the cytoskeleton in rat basophilic leukemia (RBL) mast cells...
- Rivera J, Fierro N, Olivera A, Suzuki R. New insights on mast cell activation via the high affinity receptor for IgE. Adv Immunol. 2008;98:85-120 pubmed publisher..These recent discoveries open new avenues of investigation with therapeutic potential. ..
- Karagiannis S, Bracher M, Hunt J, McCloskey N, Beavil R, Beavil A, et al. IgE-antibody-dependent immunotherapy of solid tumors: cytotoxic and phagocytic mechanisms of eradication of ovarian cancer cells. J Immunol. 2007;179:2832-43 pubmed..cell killing in vitro by two distinct pathways, cytotoxicity and phagocytosis, acting respectively through the IgE receptors FcepsilonRI and CD23...
- Conrad D, Ford J, Sturgill J, Gibb D. CD23: an overlooked regulator of allergic disease. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2007;7:331-7 pubmed..Current data suggest that stabilizing cell-surface CD23 would be a natural means to decrease IgE synthesis and thus control type I hypersensitivity. ..
- Karagiannis S, Bracher M, Beavil R, Beavil A, Hunt J, McCloskey N, et al. Role of IgE receptors in IgE antibody-dependent cytotoxicity and phagocytosis of ovarian tumor cells by human monocytic cells. Cancer Immunol Immunother. 2008;57:247-63 pubmed..We have developed a three-color flow cytometric assay to investigate the mechanism by which IgE receptors on U937 monocytes target and kill ovarian tumor cells...
- Molfetta R, Peruzzi G, Santoni A, Paolini R. Negative signals from FcepsilonRI engagement attenuate mast cell functions. Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz). 2007;55:219-29 pubmed..Similar mechanisms are employed by other receptors expressed by immune cells, such as T cell and B cell receptors, pointing to a general concept in negative immunoreceptor signaling. ..
- Gomez G, Jogie Brahim S, Shima M, Schwartz L. Omalizumab reverses the phenotypic and functional effects of IgE-enhanced Fc epsilonRI on human skin mast cells. J Immunol. 2007;179:1353-61 pubmed..Thus, reducing free IgE should decrease the hypersensitivity of allergic individuals to low naturally occurring concentrations of allergens. ..
- Macglashan D. Endocytosis, recycling, and degradation of unoccupied FcepsilonRI in human basophils. J Leukoc Biol. 2007;82:1003-10 pubmed..These studies establish that the unoccupied receptor is lost by a process of endocytosis, partially recycled to the cell surface, and ultimately degraded by a lysosomal mechanism. ..
- Yamasaki S, Sakata Sogawa K, Hasegawa A, Suzuki T, Kabu K, Sato E, et al. Zinc is a novel intracellular second messenger. J Cell Biol. 2007;177:637-45 pubmed..Collectively, our findings indicate that zinc is a novel intracellular second messenger. ..
- Lemieux G, Blumenkron F, Yeung N, Zhou P, Williams J, Grammer A, et al. The low affinity IgE receptor (CD23) is cleaved by the metalloproteinase ADAM10. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:14836-44 pubmed..ADAM10 contributes to CD23 shedding and thus could be considered a potential therapeutic target for the treatment of allergic disease. ..
- Mirkina I, Schweighoffer T, Kricek F. Inhibition of human cord blood-derived mast cell responses by anti-Fc epsilon RI mAb 15/1 versus anti-IgE Omalizumab. Immunol Lett. 2007;109:120-8 pubmed
- Saffar A, Alphonse M, Shan L, Hayglass K, Simons F, Gounni A. IgE modulates neutrophil survival in asthma: role of mitochondrial pathway. J Immunol. 2007;178:2535-41 pubmed..Taken together, our results indicate that in vitro IgE can delay programmed cell death of neutrophils from allergic asthmatics and this may possibly contribute to neutrophilic inflammation in atopic asthma. ..
- Cao W, Rosen D, Ito T, Bover L, Bao M, Watanabe G, et al. Plasmacytoid dendritic cell-specific receptor ILT7-Fc epsilonRI gamma inhibits Toll-like receptor-induced interferon production. J Exp Med. 2006;203:1399-405 pubmed..Therefore, the ILT7-Fc epsilonRI gamma receptor complex negatively regulates the innate immune functions of human pDCs. ..
- Kabu K, Yamasaki S, Kamimura D, Ito Y, Hasegawa A, Sato E, et al. Zinc is required for Fc epsilon RI-mediated mast cell activation. J Immunol. 2006;177:1296-305 pubmed..These results revealed that Zn was involved in multiple steps of FcepsilonRI-induced MC activation and required for degranulation and cytokine production. ..
- Gounni A. The high-affinity IgE receptor (FcepsilonRI): a critical regulator of airway smooth muscle cells?. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2006;291:L312-21 pubmed..This and other evidence discussed in this review provide an emerging view of FcepsilonR/IgE network as a critical modulator of ASM cell function in allergic asthma. ..
- Ford J, Kilmon M, Haas K, Shelburne A, Chan Li Y, Conrad D. In vivo murine CD23 destabilization enhances CD23 shedding and IgE synthesis. Cell Immunol. 2006;243:107-17 pubmed..Overall, the data provide a direct demonstration for CD23's role in regulating IgE production in vivo and suggest that therapies aimed at stabilizing cell surface CD23 would be beneficial in controlling allergic disease. ..
- Klemm S, Gutermuth J, Hültner L, Sparwasser T, Behrendt H, Peschel C, et al. The Bcl10-Malt1 complex segregates Fc epsilon RI-mediated nuclear factor kappa B activation and cytokine production from mast cell degranulation. J Exp Med. 2006;203:337-47 pubmed..Thus, Bcl10 and Malt1 are essential positive mediators of FcepsilonRI-dependent mast cell activation that selectively uncouple NF-kappaB-induced proinflammatory cytokine production from degranulation and leukotriene synthesis. ..
- Sukumar S, Conrad D, Szakal A, Tew J. Differential T cell-mediated regulation of CD23 (Fc epsilonRII) in B cells and follicular dendritic cells. J Immunol. 2006;176:4811-7 pubmed..Previous studies suggest that high levels of FDC-CD23 inhibit IgE production, and this IFN-gamma and CD40L-mediated up-regulation of FDC-CD23 may explain, at least in part, why Th1 responses are associated with low IgE responses in vivo...
- Fattakhova G, Masilamani M, Borrego F, Gilfillan A, Metcalfe D, Coligan J. The high-affinity immunoglobulin-E receptor (FcepsilonRI) is endocytosed by an AP-2/clathrin-independent, dynamin-dependent mechanism. Traffic. 2006;7:673-85 pubmed..We conclude that internalization of cross-linked FcRI does not require the AP-2/clathrin complex but is dynamin-dependent and may be lipid raft mediated. ..
- Oliver C, Fujimura A, Silveira E Souza A, Orlandini de Castro R, Siraganian R, Jamur M. Mast cell-specific gangliosides and FcepsilonRI follow the same endocytic pathway from lipid rafts in RBL-2H3 cells. J Histochem Cytochem. 2007;55:315-25 pubmed..This study contains online supplemental material at http://www.jhc.org. Please visit this article online to view these materials. ..
- Weskamp G, Ford J, Sturgill J, Martin S, Docherty A, Swendeman S, et al. ADAM10 is a principal 'sheddase' of the low-affinity immunoglobulin E receptor CD23. Nat Immunol. 2006;7:1293-8 pubmed..Our findings provide a likely target for the treatment of allergic reactions and set the stage for further studies of the involvement of ADAM10 in CD23-dependent pathologies. ..
- Kubota T, Mukai K, Minegishi Y, Karasuyama H. Different stabilities of the structurally related receptors for IgE and IgG on the cell surface are determined by length of the stalk region in their alpha-chains. J Immunol. 2006;176:7008-14 pubmed..This finding provides new insights into the mechanism regulating surface FcepsilonRI expression. ..
- Srivastava B, Quinn W, Hazard K, Erikson J, Allman D. Characterization of marginal zone B cell precursors. J Exp Med. 2005;202:1225-34 pubmed..These observations challenge previous models of peripheral B cell maturation, and suggest that MZ B cells develop by way of CD21/35(high) CD23(+) intermediates. ..
- Larson D, Gosse J, Holowka D, Baird B, Webb W. Temporally resolved interactions between antigen-stimulated IgE receptors and Lyn kinase on living cells. J Cell Biol. 2005;171:527-36 pubmed..They demonstrate the capacity of FCS cross-correlation analysis to investigate the mechanism of signaling-dependent protein-protein interactions in intact, living cells. ..
- Schroeder J, Bieneman A, Xiao H, Chichester K, Vasagar K, Saini S, et al. TLR9- and FcepsilonRI-mediated responses oppose one another in plasmacytoid dendritic cells by down-regulating receptor expression. J Immunol. 2005;175:5724-31 pubmed..express not only TLR9 molecules through which ligation with CpG DNA favors Th1 responses but also possess IgE receptors (FcepsilonRI) implicated in allergen presentation and induction of Th2 responses...
- Merrell K, Benschop R, Gauld S, Aviszus K, Decote Ricardo D, Wysocki L, et al. Identification of anergic B cells within a wild-type repertoire. Immunity. 2006;25:953-62 pubmed..In conclusion, our findings indicate that anergy is probably the primary mechanism by which autoreactive B cells are silenced. Thus maintenance of the unresponsiveness of anergic cells is critical for prevention of autoimmunity...
- Akimoto M, Mishra K, Lim K, Tani N, Hisanaga S, Katagiri T, et al. Protein tyrosine phosphatase epsilon is a negative regulator of FcepsilonRI-mediated mast cell responses. Scand J Immunol. 2009;69:401-11 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that PTPepsilon negatively regulates FcepsilonRI-mediated signalling pathways and thus constitutes a novel target for ameliorating allergic conditions. ..
- Echolc B, Mazur B, Królak Olejnik B, Kwiecińska M, Karpe J, Grzonka D. [Emergency and elective cesarean section and selected elements of immunological system of full-term neonates]. Ginekol Pol. 2009;80:757-61 pubmed..Cesarean section performed in a mother with emergency indications can favor an increase of mean quantity of T lymphocytes, cytotoxic - suppressor T lymphocytes, activated T lymphocytes, B CD23 lymphocytes in full-term neonates. ..
- Shimomura Y, Ogawa A, Kawada M, Sugimoto K, Mizoguchi E, Shi H, et al. A unique B2 B cell subset in the intestine. J Exp Med. 2008;205:1343-55 pubmed publisher..These results describe the existence of an alternative pathway of B cell maturation in the periphery that gives rise to a tissue-specific B cell subset. ..
- Andrews N, Lidke K, Pfeiffer J, Burns A, Wilson B, Oliver J, et al. Actin restricts FcepsilonRI diffusion and facilitates antigen-induced receptor immobilization. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:955-63 pubmed publisher..These results implicate actin in membrane partitioning that not only restricts diffusion of membrane proteins, but also dynamically influences their long-range mobility, sequestration and response to ligand binding. ..
- Alvarez Errico D, Lessmann E, Rivera J. Adapters in the organization of mast cell signaling. Immunol Rev. 2009;232:195-217 pubmed publisher..This organization is essential for normal mast cell responses. Here, we summarize the role of adapter proteins in mast cells focusing on the most recent advances toward understanding how these molecules work upon FcepsilonRI engagement. ..
- Yamaoka K, Okayama Y, Kaminuma O, Katayama K, Mori A, Tatsumi H, et al. Proteomic Approach to FcepsilonRI aggregation-initiated signal transduction cascade in human mast cells. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2009;149 Suppl 1:73-6 pubmed publisher..Our present phosphoproteome data may provide the clue to understand the molecular mechanisms for the activation of human MCs. ..
- Wang Q, Nishiyama C, Nakano N, Shimokawa N, Hara M, Kanada S, et al. Suppressive effect of Elf-1 on FcepsilonRI alpha-chain expression in primary mast cells. Immunogenetics. 2008;60:557-63 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Elf-1 negatively regulates FcepsilonRI alpha-chain expression by suppressing PU.1-mediated transcription of the alpha-chain in BMMC. ..
- Nowak Wegrzyn A, Bencharitiwong R, Schwarz J, David G, Eggleston P, Gergen P, et al. Mediator release assay for assessment of biological potency of German cockroach allergen extracts. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2009;123:949-955.e1 pubmed publisher..It should be further evaluated to determine whether it could be used to replace intradermal skin test titration for assessing the potency of cockroach extract. ..
- Boehme S, Franz Bacon K, Chen E, Ly T, Kawakami Y, Bacon K. Murine bone marrow-derived mast cells express chemoattractant receptor-homologous molecule expressed on T-helper class 2 cells (CRTh2). Int Immunol. 2009;21:621-32 pubmed publisher..Both these processes were inhibited by the CRT(h)2 antagonist. These results raise the possibility that the functional consequences of the PGD(2)-CRT(h)2 interaction on mast cells may be relevant in allergic inflammation. ..
- Rambert J, Mamani Matsuda M, Moynet D, Dubus P, Desplat V, Kauss T, et al. Molecular blocking of CD23 supports its role in the pathogenesis of arthritis. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4834 pubmed publisher..Thus, targeting CD23 by antagonistic peptide decreases inflammatory markers and may have clinical value in the treatment of human arthritis and allergic reactions involving CD23. ..
- Shaik G, Dráberová L, Heneberg P, Draber P. Vacuolin-1-modulated exocytosis and cell resealing in mast cells. Cell Signal. 2009;21:1337-45 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our results support the concept that lysosomal exocytosis is involved in the repair of injured plasma membranes. ..
- Hohman R, Dreskin S. Measuring degranulation of mast cells. Curr Protoc Immunol. 2001;Chapter 7:Unit 7.26 pubmed publisher..Methods for assaying other enzymes released during degranulation, such as beta-hexosaminidase and tryptase, are discussed in the . These protocols can also be applied to basophils where appropriate. ..
- Kawarai S, Masuda K, Ohmori K, Matsuura S, Yasuda N, Nagata M, et al. Cultivation and characterization of canine skin-derived mast cells. J Vet Med Sci. 2010;72:131-40 pubmed..The culture system for canine SMCs developed in this study would be useful in understanding the pathophysiology and developing anti-allergic therapeutics in canine allergic dermatitis. ..
- Roget K, Malissen M, Malbec O, Malissen B, Daëron M. Non-T cell activation linker promotes mast cell survival by dampening the recruitment of SHIP1 by linker for activation of T cells. J Immunol. 2008;180:3689-98 pubmed..They also provide molecular bases for the recruitment of SHIP1 in FcepsilonRI signaling complexes. SHIP1 is a major negative regulator of mast cell activation and, hence, of allergic reactions. ..
- Kasprzak A, Spachacz R, Wachowiak J, Stefanska K, Zabel M. Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection in B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphomas in children: virus latency and its correlation with CD21 and CD23 molecules. Folia Histochem Cytobiol. 2007;45:169-79 pubmed
- Burns A, Oliver J, Pfeiffer J, Wilson B. Visualizing clathrin-mediated IgE receptor internalization by electron and atomic force microscopy. Methods Mol Biol. 2008;440:235-45 pubmed publisher..We discuss here the procedure for creating fixed, native cell membrane sheets, labeling with immunogold or fluorescent labels, and utilization for TEM or AFM/fluorescence imaging of clathrin-mediated IgE internalization. ..
- Forman S, Garrett A. Success of omalizumab as monotherapy in adult atopic dermatitis: case report and discussion of the high-affinity immunoglobulin E receptor, FcepsilonRI. Cutis. 2007;80:38-40 pubmed..Our patient experienced no adverse events throughout the course of treatment. We suggest that omalizumab may have a role in the treatment of isolated atopic dermatitis in the adult population. ..