Genomes and Genes
Summary: Molecules found on the surface of some, but not all, B-lymphocytes, T-lymphocytes, and macrophages, which recognize and combine with the Fc (crystallizable) portion of immunoglobulin molecules.
- Masuda A, Yoshida M, Shiomi H, Morita Y, Kutsumi H, Inokuchi H, et al. Role of Fc Receptors as a therapeutic target. Inflamm Allergy Drug Targets. 2009;8:80-6 pubmedIt has been forty years since the discovery of Fc Receptors and their function...
- Stafford J, Wilson M, Nayak D, Quiniou S, Clem L, Miller N, et al. Identification and characterization of a FcR homolog in an ectothermic vertebrate, the channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus). J Immunol. 2006;177:2505-17 pubmed..The identification of an FcR homolog in an ectothermic vertebrate is an important first step toward understanding the evolutionary history and functional importance of vertebrate Ig-binding receptors...
- Rawool D, Bitsaktsis C, Li Y, Gosselin D, Lin Y, Kurkure N, et al. Utilization of Fc receptors as a mucosal vaccine strategy against an intracellular bacterium, Francisella tularensis. J Immunol. 2008;180:5548-57 pubmedNumerous studies have demonstrated that targeting Ag to Fc receptors (FcR) on APCs can enhance humoral and cellular immunity...
- Dickinson B, Claypool S, D Angelo J, Aiken M, Venu N, Yen E, et al. Ca2+-dependent calmodulin binding to FcRn affects immunoglobulin G transport in the transcytotic pathway. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:414-23 pubmed..These results suggest a novel mechanism for regulation of IgG transport by calmodulin-dependent sorting of FcRn and its cargo away from a degradative pathway and into a bidirectional transcytotic route. ..
- Nimmerjahn F, Ravetch J. Antibodies, Fc receptors and cancer. Curr Opin Immunol. 2007;19:239-45 pubmed..These novel insights into antibody FcR interactions might be useful to produce the next generation of improved immunotherapeutic molecules. ..
- Lin Q, Xiu Y, Jiang Y, Tsurui H, Nakamura K, Kodera S, et al. Genetic dissection of the effects of stimulatory and inhibitory IgG Fc receptors on murine lupus. J Immunol. 2006;177:1646-54 pubmedImmune complex (IC)-mediated tissue inflammation is controlled by stimulatory and inhibitory IgG Fc receptors (FcgammaRs)...
- Okun E, Mattson M, Arumugam T. Involvement of Fc receptors in disorders of the central nervous system. Neuromolecular Med. 2010;12:164-78 pubmed publisher..Knowledge of the functions of FcRs in the nervous system in health and disease is leading to novel preventative and therapeutic strategies for stroke, Alzheimer's disease, and other neurological disorders. ..
- Fayngerts S, Najakshin A, Taranin A. Species-specific evolution of the FcR family in endothermic vertebrates. Immunogenetics. 2007;59:493-506 pubmed
- Palming J, Gabrielsson B, Jennische E, Smith U, Carlsson B, Carlsson L, et al. Plasma cells and Fc receptors in human adipose tissue--lipogenic and anti-inflammatory effects of immunoglobulins on adipocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;343:43-8 pubmed..05), but did not influence lipolysis. In conclusion, immunoglobulins produced by plasma cells in human adipose tissue could influence adipocyte metabolism and cytokine production...
- Kikuno K, Kang D, Tahara K, Torii I, Kubagawa H, Ho K, et al. Unusual biochemical features and follicular dendritic cell expression of human Fcalpha/mu receptor. Eur J Immunol. 2007;37:3540-50 pubmed..The Fcalpha/muR may thus function in antigen presentation and B cell selection in the germinal center response. ..
- Kaneko Y, Nimmerjahn F, Madaio M, Ravetch J. Pathology and protection in nephrotoxic nephritis is determined by selective engagement of specific Fc receptors. J Exp Med. 2006;203:789-97 pubmed..These results establish the significance of specific IgG subclasses and their cognate FcgammaRs in renal disease. ..
- Harvill E, Osorio M, Loving C, Lee G, Kelly V, Merkel T. Anamnestic protective immunity to Bacillus anthracis is antibody mediated but independent of complement and Fc receptors. Infect Immun. 2008;76:2177-82 pubmed publisher..anthracis-challenged mice. Adoptively transferred sera were protective in mice lacking complement, Fc receptors, or both, suggesting that they operate independent of these effectors...
- Duc M, Johansen F, Corthesy B. Antigen binding to secretory immunoglobulin A results in decreased sensitivity to intestinal proteases and increased binding to cellular Fc receptors. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:953-60 pubmed publisher..This identifies immune complexes as particular structural entities integrating the presence of bound antigens and adds to the known function of immune exclusion and mucus anchoring by SIgA. ..
- Maltais L, Lovering R, Taranin A, Colonna M, Ravetch J, Dalla Favera R, et al. New nomenclature for Fc receptor-like molecules. Nat Immunol. 2006;7:431-2 pubmed
- He W, Ladinsky M, Huey Tubman K, Jensen G, McIntosh J, Bjorkman P. FcRn-mediated antibody transport across epithelial cells revealed by electron tomography. Nature. 2008;455:542-6 pubmed publisher..Markers for early, late and recycling endosomes each labelled vesicles in different and overlapping morphological classes, revealing spatial complexity in endo-lysosomal trafficking. ..
- Wani M, Haynes L, Kim J, Bronson C, Chaudhury C, Mohanty S, et al. Familial hypercatabolic hypoproteinemia caused by deficiency of the neonatal Fc receptor, FcRn, due to a mutant beta2-microglobulin gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:5084-9 pubmed..This experiment of nature affirms our hypothesis that FcRn binds IgG and albumin, salvages both from a degradative fate, and maintains their physiologic concentrations. ..
- Viertlboeck B, Schweinsberg S, Hanczaruk M, Schmitt R, Du Pasquier L, Herberg F, et al. The chicken leukocyte receptor complex encodes a primordial, activating, high-affinity IgY Fc receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:11718-23 pubmedb>Fc receptors are key players of the immune system that link the fine specificity of immunoglobulins and innate effector responses...
- Gillet L, May J, Colaco S, Stevenson P. The murine gammaherpesvirus-68 gp150 acts as an immunogenic decoy to limit virion neutralization. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e705 pubmed..This immune evasion mechanism may be common to many non-essential herpesvirus glycoproteins...
- Maidji E, McDonagh S, Genbacev O, Tabata T, Pereira L. Maternal antibodies enhance or prevent cytomegalovirus infection in the placenta by neonatal Fc receptor-mediated transcytosis. Am J Pathol. 2006;168:1210-26 pubmed..These findings could explain the efficacy of hyperimmune IgG for treatment of primary CMV infection during gestation and support vaccination. ..
- van de Winkel J. Fc receptors: role in biology and antibody therapy. Immunol Lett. 2010;128:4-5 pubmed publisher..b>Fc receptors have been found to be crucial for normal immunity and to play an important role in the mechanisms of action of ..
- Ehrhardt G, Leu C, Zhang S, Aksu G, Jackson T, Haga C, et al. Fc receptor-like proteins (FCRL): immunomodulators of B cell function. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2007;596:155-62 pubmed
- Taylor A, Beavil R, Sutton B, Calvert R. A monomeric chicken IgY receptor binds IgY with 2:1 stoichiometry. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:24168-75 pubmed publisher..Although the binding site for CHIR-AB1 on IgY is not known, the data reported here with a monomeric receptor binding to IgY at two sites with low affinity suggest an IgA-like interaction. ..
- Roopenian D, Akilesh S. FcRn: the neonatal Fc receptor comes of age. Nat Rev Immunol. 2007;7:715-25 pubmed..This Review summarizes these two areas of FcRn biology. ..
- Yoshida M, Kobayashi K, Kuo T, Bry L, Glickman J, Claypool S, et al. Neonatal Fc receptor for IgG regulates mucosal immune responses to luminal bacteria. J Clin Invest. 2006;116:2142-2151 pubmed
- Mezo A, McDonnell K, Hehir C, Low S, Palombella V, Stattel J, et al. Reduction of IgG in nonhuman primates by a peptide antagonist of the neonatal Fc receptor FcRn. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:2337-42 pubmed publisher..SYN1436 and related peptides thus represent a previously uncharacterized family of potential therapeutic agents for the treatment of humorally mediated autoimmune and other diseases. ..
- Zhang M, Murphy R, Agrawal D. Decoding IgE Fc receptors. Immunol Res. 2007;37:1-16 pubmed..A better understanding of signaling events following IgE FcR aggregation will shed new light on how allergy patients might be treated more safely and effectively. ..
- Nimmerjahn F, Anthony R, Ravetch J. Agalactosylated IgG antibodies depend on cellular Fc receptors for in vivo activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:8433-7 pubmed..which is a prerequisite for antibody-mediated effector functions, such as the interaction with cellular Fc receptors or the complement component C1q...
- Boonyarattanakalin S, Martin S, Sun Q, Peterson B. A synthetic mimic of human Fc receptors: defined chemical modification of cell surfaces enables efficient endocytic uptake of human immunoglobulin-G. J Am Chem Soc. 2006;128:11463-70 pubmed..Certain human leukocytes and epithelial cells express Fc receptors (FcRs) that bind and internalize antibodies through this mechanism...
- Stafford J, Bengten E, Du Pasquier L, McIntosh R, Quiniou S, Clem L, et al. A novel family of diversified immunoregulatory receptors in teleosts is homologous to both mammalian Fc receptors and molecules encoded within the leukocyte receptor complex. Immunogenetics. 2006;58:758-73 pubmed
- Monteiro R. Role of IgA and IgA fc receptors in inflammation. J Clin Immunol. 2010;30:1-9 pubmed publisher..Intravenous mIgA (mIgAIV) and anti-FcalphaR monovalent antibodies represent thus promising tools for immunotherapy. ..
- Viertlboeck B, Schweinsberg S, Schmitt R, Herberg F, Göbel T. The chicken leukocyte receptor complex encodes a family of different affinity FcY receptors. J Immunol. 2009;182:6985-92 pubmed publisher..These results imply that multiple FcY receptors of variable affinity are encoded by the CHIR locus and that different chicken lines may express both unique as well as highly conserved FcY receptors. ..
- Chavele K, Martinez Pomares L, Domin J, Pemberton S, Haslam S, Dell A, et al. Mannose receptor interacts with Fc receptors and is critical for the development of crescentic glomerulonephritis in mice. J Clin Invest. 2010;120:1469-78 pubmed publisher..We suggest that targeting MR may provide an alternative therapeutic approach in CGN while minimizing the impact on adaptive immune responses, which are affected by conventional immunosuppressive approaches...
- Clynes R. Antitumor antibodies in the treatment of cancer: Fc receptors link opsonic antibody with cellular immunity. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2006;20:585-612 pubmed..Thus, engineered Fc domains with favorable affinities for specific FcR types may prove to be clinically superior. ..
- Rosa G, Gillet L, Smith C, de Lima B, Stevenson P. IgG fc receptors provide an alternative infection route for murine gamma-herpesvirus-68. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e560 pubmed..One difference between these settings is the availability of immunoglobulin Fc receptors. The question therefore arises whether a herpesvirus exposed to apparently neutralizing antibody can still ..
- Monteiro R. The role of IgA and IgA Fc receptors as anti-inflammatory agents. J Clin Immunol. 2010;30 Suppl 1:S61-4 pubmed publisher..The use of monomeric IgA as a therapeutic tool in human inflammatory diseases may offer much potential. ..
- Forthal D, Landucci G, Cole K, Marthas M, Becerra J, van Rompay K. Rhesus macaque polyclonal and monoclonal antibodies inhibit simian immunodeficiency virus in the presence of human or autologous rhesus effector cells. J Virol. 2006;80:9217-25 pubmed..Finally, our data underscore the potential importance of Fc-Fc receptor interactions in mediating biological activities of antibody. ..
- Martyn J, Cardin A, Wines B, Cendron A, Li S, Mackenzie J, et al. Surface display of IgG Fc on baculovirus vectors enhances binding to antigen-presenting cells and cell lines expressing Fc receptors. Arch Virol. 2009;154:1129-38 pubmed publisher..to recombinant soluble FcgammaRIIalpha receptor and to cell lines and antigen-presenting cells expressing Fc receptors (FcRs)...
- Qiao S, Lencer W, Blumberg R. How the controller is controlled - neonatal Fc receptor expression and immunoglobulin G homeostasis. Immunology. 2007;120:145-7 pubmed
- van Montfort T, Nabatov A, Geijtenbeek T, Pollakis G, Paxton W. Efficient capture of antibody neutralized HIV-1 by cells expressing DC-SIGN and transfer to CD4+ T lymphocytes. J Immunol. 2007;178:3177-85 pubmed..The increased capture of the 2F5-neutralized virus by iMDDCs was negated upon blocking the Fc receptors. Blocking DC-SIGN on iMDDCs resulted in a 70-75% inhibition of HIV-1 capture at 37 degrees C, whereas at 4 ..
- Liu X, Ye L, Christianson G, Yang J, Roopenian D, Zhu X. NF-kappaB signaling regulates functional expression of the MHC class I-related neonatal Fc receptor for IgG via intronic binding sequences. J Immunol. 2007;179:2999-3011 pubmed..Together, these data provide the first evidence that NF-kappaB signaling via intronic sequences regulates FcRn expression and function. ..
- Montefiori D, Sattentau Q, Flores J, Esparza J, Mascola J. Antibody-based HIV-1 vaccines: recent developments and future directions. PLoS Med. 2007;4:e348 pubmed
- Zhang M, Yao Z, Zhang Z, Garmestani K, Goldman C, Ravetch J, et al. Effective therapy for a murine model of human anaplastic large-cell lymphoma with the anti-CD30 monoclonal antibody, HeFi-1, does not require activating Fc receptors. Blood. 2006;108:705-10 pubmed..We demonstrated that the expression of FcRgamma on polymorphonuclear leukocytes and monocytes was not required for HeFi-1-mediated tumor growth inhibition in vivo, although it was required for daclizumab. ..
- Stoiber H. Complement, Fc receptors and antibodies: a Trojan horse in HIV infection?. Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2009;4:394-9 pubmed publisher..This review highlights current knowledge in this field and emphasizes the contribution of complement and non-neutralizing antibodies in controlling versus and enhancing infection. ..
- Marta C, Bansal R, Pfeiffer S. Microglial Fc receptors mediate physiological changes resulting from antibody cross-linking of myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein. J Neuroimmunol. 2008;196:35-40 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that similar events occur when anti-MOG is cross-linked with Fc receptors (FcRs) present on microglia but not with complement...
- Sakagami M, Omidi Y, Campbell L, Kandalaft L, Morris C, Barar J, et al. Expression and transport functionality of FcRn within rat alveolar epithelium: a study in primary cell culture and in the isolated perfused lung. Pharm Res. 2006;23:270-9 pubmed
- Shi J, McIntosh R, Pleass R. Antibody- and Fc-receptor-based therapeutics for malaria. Clin Sci (Lond). 2006;110:11-9 pubmed..These Abs also aid investigation of immune mechanisms operating to control the disease and are valuable tools in developing neutralization assays for vaccine design. This review explores how this might be achieved. ..
- Bruhns P, Fremont S, Daëron M. Regulation of allergy by Fc receptors. Curr Opin Immunol. 2005;17:662-9 pubmed..On the basis of these findings, it has been proposed that FcRs can be used as targets and/or tools for new therapeutic approaches to allergies. ..
- Davis R, Stephan R, Chen C, Dennis G, Cooper M. Differential B cell expression of mouse Fc receptor homologs. Int Immunol. 2004;16:1343-53 pubmed..The highly restricted pattern of moFcRH3 expression suggests this member of the phylogenetically conserved FcRH family may have an important immunoregulatory role in marginal zone B cells. ..