Genomes and Genes
Summary: A membrane glycoprotein and ANGIOGENESIS FACTOR that is expressed by cells of the VASCULAR ENDOTHELIUM; VASCULAR SMOOTH MUSCLE; and MONOCYTES. It functions as a co-receptor for TRANSFORMING GROWTH FACTOR BETA and modulates CELL ADHESION. Mutations in the endoglin gene are associated with cases of HEREDITARY HEMORRHAGIC TELANGIECTASIA.
- Redgrave R, Tual Chalot S, Davison B, Singh E, Hall D, Amirrasouli M, et al. Cardiosphere-Derived Cells Require Endoglin for Paracrine-Mediated Angiogenesis. Stem Cell Reports. 2017;8:1287-1298 pubmed publisher..CDCs express endoglin, a co-receptor that binds specific transforming growth factor Î² (TGFÎ²) family ligands, including bone ..
- Jin Y, Muhl L, Burmakin M, Wang Y, Duchez A, Betsholtz C, et al. Endoglin prevents vascular malformation by regulating flow-induced cell migration and specification through VEGFR2 signalling. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:639-652 pubmed publisherLoss-of-function (LOF) mutations in the endothelial cell (EC)-enriched gene endoglin (ENG) cause the human disease hereditary haemorrhagic telangiectasia-1, characterized by vascular malformations promoted by vascular endothelial growth ..
- Ivan M, Kaelin W. The EGLN-HIF O2-Sensing System: Multiple Inputs and Feedbacks. Mol Cell. 2017;66:772-779 pubmed publisher..Based on novel interactions identified upstream and downstream of EGLNs, an integrated network connecting oxygen-sensing functions to metabolic and signaling pathways is gradually emerging with broad therapeutic implications. ..
- Soh M, Nelson Piercy C. Biomarkers for Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes in Rheumatic Diseases. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2017;43:201-214 pubmed publisher..It is likely that these changes persist, and additional "insults" from ongoing inflammation, medications, and disease damage contribute to the development of accelerated cardiovascular disease seen in young women with rheumatic disease. ..
- Saleh L, Samantar R, Garrelds I, van den Meiracker A, Visser W, Danser A. Low Soluble Fms-Like Tyrosine Kinase-1, Endoglin, and Endothelin-1 Levels in Women With Confirmed or Suspected Preeclampsia Using Proton Pump Inhibitors. Hypertension. 2017;70:594-600 pubmed publisherPatients with preeclampsia display elevated placenta-derived sFlt-1 (soluble Fms-like tyrosine kinase-1) and endoglin levels and decreased placental growth factor levels...
- Sugden W, Meissner R, Aegerter Wilmsen T, Tsaryk R, Leonard E, Bussmann J, et al. Endoglin controls blood vessel diameter through endothelial cell shape changes in response to haemodynamic cues. Nat Cell Biol. 2017;19:653-665 pubmed publisher..This is mediated via endothelial cell shape changes. We identify the transforming growth factor beta co-receptor endoglin as an important player in this process...
- Tian H, Ketova T, Hardy D, Xu X, Gao X, Zijlstra A, et al. Endoglin Mediates Vascular Maturation by Promoting Vascular Smooth Muscle Cell Migration and Spreading. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017;37:1115-1126 pubmed publisherb>Endoglin, a transforming growth factor-? superfamily coreceptor, is predominantly expressed in endothelial cells and has essential roles in vascular development...
- Falero Perez J, Park S, Sorenson C, Sheibani N. PEDF expression affects retinal endothelial cell proangiogenic properties through alterations in cell adhesive mechanisms. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2017;313:C405-C420 pubmed publisher..Retinal EC also expressed VEGF receptor 1 and endoglin, as well as ICAM-1, ICAM-2, and VCAM-1...
- Albiñana V, Zafra M, Colau J, Zarrabeitia R, Recio Poveda L, Olavarrieta L, et al. Mutation affecting the proximal promoter of Endoglin as the origin of hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia type 1. BMC Med Genet. 2017;18:20 pubmed publisher..HHT is transmitted as an autosomal dominant condition, caused in 85% of cases by mutations in either Endoglin (ENG) or Activin receptor-like kinase (ACVRL1/ACVRL1/ALK1) genes...
- Somashekar S, Sammour I, Huang J, Dominguez Bendala J, Pastori R, Alvarez Cubela S, et al. Intra-Amniotic Soluble Endoglin Impairs Lung Development in Neonatal Rats. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2017;57:468-476 pubmed publisherSoluble endoglin (sENG) is increased in the amniotic fluid of women with preeclampsia and chorioamnionitis. Preterm infants born to women with these disorders have an increased risk of aberrant lung development...
- Franco C, Gerhardt H. Morph or Move? How Distinct Endothelial Cell Responses to Blood Flow Shape Vascular Networks. Dev Cell. 2017;41:574-576 pubmed publisher..In two recent papers in Nature Cell Biology, Jin et al. (2017) and Sugden et al. (2017) show that endoglin alters endothelial cell shape or behavior in response to blood flow, thus regulating vessel structure.
- Ruiz Llorente L, Gallardo Vara E, Rossi E, Smadja D, Botella L, Bernabeu C. Endoglin and alk1 as therapeutic targets for hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia. Expert Opin Ther Targets. 2017;21:933-947 pubmed publisher..Areas covered: Pathogenic mutations in genes coding for the TGF-Î² receptors endoglin (ENG) (HHT1) or the activin receptor-like kinase-1 (ACVRL1 or ALK1) (HHT2), are responsible for more than 80% of ..