Summary: One of three major isoforms of apolipoprotein E. In humans, Apo E2 differs from APOLIPOPROTEIN E3 at one residue 158 where arginine is replaced by cysteine (R158--C). In contrast to Apo E3, Apo E2 displays extremely low binding affinity for LDL receptors (RECEPTORS, LDL) which mediate the internalization and catabolism of lipoprotein particles in liver cells. ApoE2 allelic homozygosity is associated with HYPERLIPOPROTEINEMIA TYPE III.
- Pankiewicz J, Guridi M, Kim J, Asuni A, Sanchez S, Sullivan P, et al. Blocking the apoE/A? interaction ameliorates A?-related pathology in APOE ?2 and ?4 targeted replacement Alzheimer model mice. Acta Neuropathol Commun. 2014;2:75 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that both apoE2 and apoE4 isoforms contribute to A? deposition and future therapies targeting the apoE/A? interaction could produce favorable outcome in APOE ?2 and ?4 allele carriers. ..
- Lim Y, Mormino E. APOE genotype and early ?-amyloid accumulation in older adults without dementia. Neurology. 2017;89:1028-1034 pubmed publisher..i>APOE genotype in conjunction with chronologic age may aid in participant selection for primary prevention trials aimed at halting A? accumulation before abnormal levels are reached. ..
- Liu M, Li Y, Han L, Zhang Y, Wang D, Wang Z, et al. Adipose-derived stem cells were impaired in restricting CD4+T cell proliferation and polarization in type 2 diabetic ApoE-/- mouse. Mol Immunol. 2017;87:152-160 pubmed publisher..T2DM ADSCs had impaired function in restricting CD4+T lymphocyte proliferation and pro-inflammatory polarization due to immune phenotypic changes. ..
- Yamauchi K, Ebihara Y, Kawakami Y. Redox status of serum apolipoprotein E and its impact on HDL cholesterol levels. Clin Biochem. 2017;50:777-783 pubmed publisher..001). The redox status of serum apoE might be related to the synthesis of HDL. The information concerning the redox status of serum apoE provided by the present method may be a potent indicator to evaluate various apoE-related diseases. ..
- Gesierich B, Opherk C, Rosand J, Gonik M, Malik R, Jouvent E, et al. APOE É›2 is associated with white matter hyperintensity volume in CADASIL. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2016;36:199-203 pubmed..02) but not APOE É›4. The results remained significant when controlled for genome-wide genetic background variation. Our findings suggest a modifying influence of APOE É›2 on WMHV caused by pure SVD. ..
- Saito T, Matsunaga A. Significance of a novel apolipoprotein E variant, ApoE Osaka/Kurashiki, in lipoprotein glomerulopathy. J Atheroscler Thromb. 2011;18:542-3 pubmed
- Federoff H. Alzheimer's disease: reducing the burden with ApoE2. Gene Ther. 2005;12:1019-29 pubmed