Genomes and Genes
Summary: A subcategory of mucins that contain SIALIC ACID.
- Baumheter S, Singer M, Henzel W, Hemmerich S, Renz M, Rosen S, et al. Binding of L-selectin to the vascular sialomucin CD34. Science. 1993;262:436-8 pubmed..A polyclonal antiserum to recombinant murine CD34 stains peripheral lymph node endothelium and recognizes Sgp90 that is functionally bound by L-selectin. Thus, an HEV glycoform of CD34 can function as a ligand for L-selectin. ..
- Puri K, Finger E, Gaudernack G, Springer T. Sialomucin CD34 is the major L-selectin ligand in human tonsil high endothelial venules. J Cell Biol. 1995;131:261-70 pubmed..This suggests that L-selectin ligands and E-selectin ligands differ in more respects than presence of the MECA-79 epitope. ..
- Saez C, Japón M, Poveda M, Segura D. Mucinous (colloid) adenocarcinomas secrete distinct O-acylated forms of sialomucins: a histochemical study of gastric, colorectal and breast adenocarcinomas. Histopathology. 2001;39:554-60 pubmed..Most adenocarcinomas secreted acidic mucins, with sialomucins predominating over sulfomucins, except for non-mucinous adenocarcinomas of the breast which showed predominant ..
- Samulowitz U, Kuhn A, Brachtendorf G, Nawroth R, Braun A, Bankfalvi A, et al. Human endomucin: distribution pattern, expression on high endothelial venules, and decoration with the MECA-79 epitope. Am J Pathol. 2002;160:1669-81 pubmed..We conclude that human and mouse endomucin are endothelial sialomucins with the potential to function as L-selectin ligands.
- Thorup I. Histomorphological and immunohistochemical characterization of colonic aberrant crypt foci in rats: relationship to growth factor expression. Carcinogenesis. 1997;18:465-72 pubmed..The study could not confirm the presence of sialomucin-producing ACF as a valid marker for tumor development. ..
- Tanaka T, Umemoto E, Miyasaka M. [Lymphocyte trafficking and immunesurveillance]. Nihon Rinsho Meneki Gakkai Kaishi. 2006;29:359-71 pubmed..This review summarizes the present understandings of the mechanisms regulating homeostatic recirculation of naive lymphocytes through the secondary lymphoid tissues and tissue-specific trafficking of antigen-experienced lymphocytes. ..
- Strilic B, Kucera T, Eglinger J, Hughes M, McNagny K, Tsukita S, et al. The molecular basis of vascular lumen formation in the developing mouse aorta. Dev Cell. 2009;17:505-15 pubmed publisher..We show that ECs adhere to each other, and that CD34-sialomucins, Moesin, F-actin, and non-muscle Myosin II localize at the endothelial cell-cell contact to define the luminal ..
- Docheva D, Hunziker E, Fassler R, Brandau O. Tenomodulin is necessary for tenocyte proliferation and tendon maturation. Mol Cell Biol. 2005;25:699-705 pubmed..These results suggest that Tnmd is a regulator of tenocyte proliferation and is involved in collagen fibril maturation but do not confirm an in vivo involvement of Tnmd in angiogenesis. ..
- Doyonnas R, Yi Hsin Chan J, Butler L, Rappold I, Lee Prudhoe J, Zannettino A, et al. CD164 monoclonal antibodies that block hemopoietic progenitor cell adhesion and proliferation interact with the first mucin domain of the CD164 receptor. J Immunol. 2000;165:840-51 pubmed
- Sheng Z, Wu K, Carraway K, Fregien N. Molecular cloning of the transmembrane component of the 13762 mammary adenocarcinoma sialomucin complex. A new member of the epidermal growth factor superfamily. J Biol Chem. 1992;267:16341-6 pubmed
- Scillitani G, Mentino D, Liquori G, Ferri D. Histochemical characterization of the mucins of the alimentary tract of the grass snake, Natrix natrix (Colubridae). Tissue Cell. 2012;44:288-95 pubmed publisher..Mannosylated sialosulfomucins were observed. Fundic mucosa of stomach presented surface cells producing sialomucins with terminal sialic acid linked to galactose. In gastric glands neck and oxynticopeptic cells were found...
- Rubio C, Owston M, Orrego A, Dick E. Further studies on Barretts mucosa in baboons: metaplastic glandular cells produce sialomucin. Anticancer Res. 2010;30:4123-6 pubmed..Many BM cells were ballooned and filled with sialomucins, despite goblet cells not being found in H&E sections...
- Martinez C, Nonose R, Spadari A, Máximo F, Priolli D, Pereira J, et al. Quantification by computerized morphometry of tissue levels of sulfomucins and sialomucins in diversion colitis in rats. Acta Cir Bras. 2010;25:231-40 pubmed
- Sharma R, Mohammed K, Nasreen N, Hardwick J, Van Horn R, Ramirez Icaza C, et al. Defensive role of pleural mesothelial cell sialomucins in tumor metastasis. Chest. 2003;124:682-7 pubmed..b>Sialomucins play a significant role in adhesion as well as in defense...
- Matsubara A, Iwama A, Yamazaki S, Furuta C, Hirasawa R, Morita Y, et al. Endomucin, a CD34-like sialomucin, marks hematopoietic stem cells throughout development. J Exp Med. 2005;202:1483-92 pubmed..Our findings establish Endomucin as a novel cell-surface marker for LTR-HSCs throughout development and provide a powerful tool in understanding HSC ontogeny...
- Fiedler U, Christian S, Koidl S, Kerjaschki D, Emmett M, Bates D, et al. The sialomucin CD34 is a marker of lymphatic endothelial cells in human tumors. Am J Pathol. 2006;168:1045-53 pubmed..The data warrant further exploration of CD34 in tumor-associated LECs as a prognostic tumor marker. ..
- Rossi E, McNeer R, Price Schiavi S, Van den Brande J, Komatsu M, Thompson J, et al. Sialomucin complex, a heterodimeric glycoprotein complex. Expression as a soluble, secretable form in lactating mammary gland and colon. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:33476-85 pubmed
- Corpet D, Jacquinet C, Peiffer G, Tache S. Insulin injections promote the growth of aberrant crypt foci in the colon of rats. Nutr Cancer. 1997;27:316-20 pubmed..04). These data show that exogenous insulin can promote colon carcinogenesis in rats and suggest that life-style and diets leading to low blood insulin might protect humans against colorectal cancer. ..
- Price Schiavi S, Carraway C, Fregien N, Carraway K. Post-transcriptional regulation of a milk membrane protein, the sialomucin complex (Ascites sialoglycoprotein (ASGP)-1/ASGP-2, rat muc4), by transforming growth factor beta. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:35228-37 pubmed..These results indicate that SMC is a novel product of normal mammary gland and milk, which is post-transcriptionally regulated by transforming growth factor beta in normal mammary gland, but not in 13762 mammary adenocarcinoma cells. ..
- DeSouza M, Murray M. An estrogen-dependent sheep oviductal glycoprotein has glycan linkages typical of sialomucins and does not contain chitinase activity. Biol Reprod. 1995;53:1517-26 pubmed..N-acetylglucosamine, galactose, fucose, and sialic acid both in alpha(2,3) and alpha(2,6) linkages, typical of sialomucins. Enzymatic digestion with neuraminidase and N-glycanase indicated that approximately 20% and approximately 6% ..
- Iwai T, Ichikawa T, Kida M, Goso Y, Kurihara M, Koizumi W, et al. Protective effect of geranylgeranylacetone against loxoprofen sodium-induced small intestinal lesions in rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2011;652:121-5 pubmed publisher..GGA protects the small intestine against loxoprofen sodium-induced lesions, probably by inhibiting enterobacterial invasion of the mucosa as a result of the increase in the mucosal barrier. ..
- Boronikhina T, Iatskovskiĭ A. [Age-related changes in glycoprotein composition in human bulbourethral glands]. Morfologiia. 2007;131:63-7 pubmed..In all the age groups, acid GP were represented mainly by sialomucins, both sialidase-labile and sialidase-resistant...
- Kim D, Cho S, Chung K, Kim Y. Clear cell basal cell carcinoma with sialomucin deposition. Yonsei Med J. 2006;47:870-2 pubmed..The clear tumor cells stained with PAS and showed incomplete diastase-resistance. In addition, mucin staining with alcian blue was positive at pH 2.5 but not at pH 0.5. ..
- Iwai T, Ichikawa T, Kida M, Goso Y, Saegusa Y, Okayasu I, et al. Vulnerable sites and changes in mucin in the rat small intestine after non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs administration. Dig Dis Sci. 2010;55:3369-76 pubmed publisher..Increased sialomucin content in the mucus around the lesions may play an important role in the healing of NSAIDs-induced intestinal lesions. ..
- Tanaka E, Nakahara Y, Kuroda Y, Takano Y, Kojima N, Hojo H, et al. Chemoenzymatic synthesis of a MUC1 glycopeptide carrying non-natural sialyl TF-beta O-glycan. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2006;70:2515-22 pubmed..Enzymatic glycosylation with CMP-NeuAc was successful with both natural and non-natural O-glycans of the synthetic glycopeptide. ..
- Hamer H, Jonkers D, Renes I, Vanhoutvin S, Kodde A, Troost F, et al. Butyrate enemas do not affect human colonic MUC2 and TFF3 expression. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010;22:1134-40 pubmed publisher..In addition, mucosal sections were stained with high iron diamine-alcian blue to distinguish between sialomucins and sulphomucins...
- Castro M, Ferreira U, Martins M, Stoppiglia R, Netto N. Histological and histochemical changes of the intestinal mucosa at the urothelial-enteric anastomotic site. Int Braz J Urol. 2006;32:222-7 pubmed..All animals in the operated group showed a reduced presence of sulfomucin and an increase in the sialomucin content. The histological changes observed in this study may suggest a precancerous phenomenon. ..
- Hilkens J, Buijs F, Ligtenberg M. Complexity of MAM-6, an epithelial sialomucin associated with carcinomas. Cancer Res. 1989;49:786-93 pubmedThe complexity of epithelial sialomucins was investigated by immunoprecipitation and membrane immunofluorescence, using monoclonal antibodies (MAbs) against MAM-6 and other sialomucins...
- Kase H, Kodama S, Tanaka K. Observations of high iron diamine-alcian blue stain in uterine cervical glandular lesions. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 1999;48:56-60 pubmed..The staining patterns of biopsy specimens and hysterectomy specimens were similar. Therefore HID-AB stain and CEA stain may be useful as a supplementary means of diagnosing uterine cervical lesions. ..
- Kurosawa N, Kanemitsu Y, Matsui T, Shimada K, Ishihama H, Muramatsu T. Genomic analysis of a murine cell-surface sialomucin, MGC-24/CD164. Eur J Biochem. 1999;265:466-72 pubmed..That the promoter resembles that of house-keeping genes is consistent with the broad expression of mouse MGC-24 mRNA. ..
- Croix J, Carbonero F, Nava G, Russell M, Greenberg E, Gaskins H. On the relationship between sialomucin and sulfomucin expression and hydrogenotrophic microbes in the human colonic mucosa. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24447 pubmed publisher..is comprised primarily of acidomucins, which provide viscous properties and can be broadly classified into sialomucins or sulfomucins based on the presence of terminating sialic acid or sulfate groups...
- Miyashita K, Azuma N, Hida T. Morphological and histochemical studies of goblet cells in developing human conjunctiva. Jpn J Ophthalmol. 1992;36:169-74 pubmed..This finding suggested that the goblet cells first appeared in the fornix area, extending toward the palpebral region, then toward the bulbar region, and containing sialomucin from their early stage of development. ..
- Kontseková S, Ohradanova Repic A, Polcicova K, Tuomaala P, Pastorek J, Pastorekova S, et al. Novel monoclonal antibodies specific for CTLD-SSC and sialomucin domains of endosialin, a mural cell marker of tumor vasculature. Int J Oncol. 2012;41:1365-72 pubmed publisher..They represent important tools for improving our understanding of endosialin regulation, biological role and contribution of its extracellular domains to the tumor phenotype. ..
- Watt S, Chan J. CD164--a novel sialomucin on CD34+ cells. Leuk Lymphoma. 2000;37:1-25 pubmed..Recently, sialomucins have assumed some importance in hematopoiesis, with six of these receptors, CD34, PSGL-1, CD43, PCLP, CD45RA ..
- Jeong G, Jo U, Ryu H, Kim Y, Song K, Yu I. Histochemical study of intestinal mucins after administration of silver nanoparticles in Sprague-Dawley rats. Arch Toxicol. 2010;84:63-9 pubmed publisher..and acidic mucins were found in the goblet cells in the silver nanoparticle-treated rats, plus the amount of sialomucins was increased, while the amount of sulfomucins was decreased...
- Simmons D, Satterthwaite A, Tenen D, Seed B. Molecular cloning of a cDNA encoding CD34, a sialomucin of human hematopoietic stem cells. J Immunol. 1992;148:267-71 pubmed..CD34 has no significant sequence homology to any known protein but has some structural similarities to the heavily glycosylated leukocyte surface molecule CD43. ..
- Miranda E, Bizerra M, Waisberg D, Carnevale J, Silva J, Waisberg J. Early morphological and histochemical alterations in rats subjected to ileocystoplasty. Acta Cir Bras. 2009;24:393-9 pubmed..assessed dysplasia, metaplasia, acute and chronic inflammation, fibrosis, atrophy, hypertrophy, total mucins, sialomucins and sulfomucins. The non-parametric Wilcoxon and Mann-Whitney tests were employed in statistical analysis...
- Umemoto E, Hayasaka H, Bai Z, Cai L, Yonekura S, Peng X, et al. Novel regulators of lymphocyte trafficking across high endothelial venules. Crit Rev Immunol. 2011;31:147-69 pubmed..Here, we review the molecular mechanisms governing lymphocyte-HEV interactions, and highlight possible roles for two HEV proteins, i.e., nepmucin/CD300g and autotaxin, in lymphocyte TEM. ..
- Simmons P, Levesque J, Haylock D. Mucin-like molecules as modulators of the survival and proliferation of primitive hematopoietic cells. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2001;938:196-206; discussion 206-7 pubmed..integrins, selectins, the immunoglobulin gene superfamily and an emerging family of mucin-like molecules (the sialomucins) are involved in supporting cell-cell and cell-extracellular matrix (ECM) interactions between primitive ..
- Nonose R, Spadari A, Priolli D, Máximo F, Pereira J, Martinez C. Tissue quantification of neutral and acid mucins in the mucosa of the colon with and without fecal stream in rats. Acta Cir Bras. 2009;24:267-75 pubmed..Regardless of the reduced expression of acid and neutral mucins in the segments without fecal stream, their tissue expression increased with increasing duration of intestinal deviation. ..
- Phng L, Potente M, Leslie J, Babbage J, Nyqvist D, Lobov I, et al. Nrarp coordinates endothelial Notch and Wnt signaling to control vessel density in angiogenesis. Dev Cell. 2009;16:70-82 pubmed publisher..In vivo, loss of Nrarp, Lef1, or endothelial Ctnnb1 causes vessel regression. We suggest that the balance between Notch and Wnt signaling determines whether to make or break new vessel connections. ..
- Uchimura K, Rosen S. Sulfated L-selectin ligands as a therapeutic target in chronic inflammation. Trends Immunol. 2006;27:559-65 pubmed..by an adhesive interaction between L-selectin on lymphocytes and peripheral node addressin (PNAd), a set of sialomucins displayed on high endothelial venules (HEVs) of lymph nodes...
- Bell A, Price A, Forbes A, Ciclitira P, Groves C, Nicholls R. Pre-pouch ileitis: a disease of the ileum in ulcerative colitis after restorative proctocolectomy. Colorectal Dis. 2006;8:402-10 pubmed..Pre-pouch ileitis is uncommon. As the patients' previous diagnosis of UC was confirmed and there was no radiological or histological evidence of Crohn's disease, PI appears to have a distinct pathogenesis from Crohn's disease. ..
- McNeer R, Carraway C, Fregien N, Carraway K. Characterization of the expression and steroid hormone control of sialomucin complex in the rat uterus: implications for uterine receptivity. J Cell Physiol. 1998;176:110-9 pubmed..Furthermore, the presence of both membrane and soluble SMC at the luminal surface of the endometrium may provide a model for its proposed protective function in other accessible and vulnerable epithelia. ..
- Price Schiavi S, Meller D, Jing X, Merritt J, Carvajal M, Tseng S, et al. Sialomucin complex at the rat ocular surface: a new model for ocular surface protection. Biochem J. 1998;335 ( Pt 2):457-63 pubmed..SMC secreted into the tear fluid may also participate in maintaining the stability of the preocular tear film by acting with other secreted mucins to determine the physical properties and protective behaviour of the tear film. ..
- Rosen S, Tsay D, Singer M, Hemmerich S, Abraham W. Therapeutic targeting of endothelial ligands for L-selectin (PNAd) in a sheep model of asthma. Am J Pathol. 2005;166:935-44 pubmed..lymph nodes is initiated by an adhesive interaction between L-selectin on lymphocytes and PNAd, a set of sialomucins that are constitutively displayed on high endothelial venules of lymph nodes...
- Ramsauer V, Carraway C, Salas P, Carraway K. Muc4/sialomucin complex, the intramembrane ErbB2 ligand, translocates ErbB2 to the apical surface in polarized epithelial cells. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:30142-7 pubmed..The ability of Muc4/SMC to alter the localization of ErbB2, particularly a phosphorylated form of it, in epithelial cells, suggests that it has an important role in regulating ErbB2 signaling. ..
- Kuhn A, Brachtendorf G, Kurth F, Sonntag M, Samulowitz U, Metze D, et al. Expression of endomucin, a novel endothelial sialomucin, in normal and diseased human skin. J Invest Dermatol. 2002;119:1388-93 pubmed..We found endomucin expressed on the endothelium of each tissue, concluding that this novel molecule is a new endothelial-specific marker in the study of normal and diseased human skin. ..
- Cheng J, Baumhueter S, Cacalano G, Carver Moore K, Thibodeaux H, Thomas R, et al. Hematopoietic defects in mice lacking the sialomucin CD34. Blood. 1996;87:479-90 pubmed..However, the hematopoietic sites of adult CD34-deficient mice may still have a significant reservoir of progenitor cells that allows for normal recovery after nonmyeloablative peripheral cell depletion...
- Wang Q. [Relationship between mucin histochemical changes at the resection margin and rectal cancer recurrence after anterior resection]. Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi. 1990;28:274-7, 317 pubmedThe correlation between the presence of sialomucins at the resection margin identified by high iron diamine-alcian blue (HID-AB) histochemical stain and the subsequent anastomotic recurrence of the tumor was studied retrospectively in 64 ..
- Meslin J, Fontaine N, Andrieux C. Variation of mucin distribution in the rat intestine, caecum and colon: effect of the bacterial flora. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 1999;123:235-9 pubmed..These variations in the contents may reflect the bacterial mucolytic activity and the effect of bacterial metabolites on the mucosa. ..
- Zhu X, Price Schiavi S, Carraway K. Extracellular regulated kinase (ERK)-dependent regulation of sialomucin complex/rat Muc4 in mammary epithelial cells. Oncogene. 2000;19:4354-61 pubmed..These results suggest that expression of SMC/Muc4 in mammary epithelial cells is regulated by selected growth factors through an ERK-dependent pathway at the transcript level. ..