Genomes and Genes
Summary: A heterogeneous mixture of glycoproteins responsible for the gel structure of egg white. It has trypsin-inhibiting activity.
- Nagaoka S, Masaoka M, Zhang Q, Hasegawa M, Watanabe K. Egg ovomucin attenuates hypercholesterolemia in rats and inhibits cholesterol absorption in Caco-2 cells. Lipids. 2002;37:267-72 pubmedThis experiment was designed to evaluate the effect of casein or ovomucin (OV) on the micellar solubility of cholesterol and the taurocholate binding capacity in vitro...
- Neshich G, Togawa R, Mancini A, Kuser P, Yamagishi M, Pappas G, et al. STING Millennium: A web-based suite of programs for comprehensive and simultaneous analysis of protein structure and sequence. Nucleic Acids Res. 2003;31:3386-92 pubmed..PDB updates trigger SMS updates in a synchronized fashion. SMS is freely accessible for public data at http://www.cbi.cnptia.embrapa.br, http://mirrors.rcsb.org/SMS and http://trantor.bioc.columbia.edu/SMS. ..
- Ruiter B, Knol E, van Neerven R, Garssen J, Bruijnzeel Koomen C, Knulst A, et al. Maintenance of tolerance to cow's milk in atopic individuals is characterized by high levels of specific immunoglobulin G4. Clin Exp Allergy. 2007;37:1103-10 pubmed..The up-regulation of specific IgG4 in tolerant atopic individuals may be related to the type of allergen and its regular dose of exposure. ..
- Jacobsen B, Hoffmann Sommergruber K, Have T, Foss N, Briza P, Oberhuber C, et al. The panel of egg allergens, Gal d 1-Gal d 5: Their improved purification and characterization. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2008;52 Suppl 2:S176-85 pubmed publisher..The allergen batches will be further used to set up allergen specific diagnostic assays and to screen a larger collection of patients' sera...
- Haginaka J. LC packing materials for pharmaceutical and biomedical analysis. Se Pu. 2002;20:508-18 pubmed..This review article deals with the preparation of these materials and the pharmaceutical and biomedical applications of them in recognition of The Society of Chromatographic Sciences Award. ..
- Watanabe T, Ihara H, Miyoshi E, Honke K, Taniguchi N, Taguchi T. A specific detection of GlcNAcbeta1-6Manalpha1 branches in N-linked glycoproteins based on the specificity of N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase VI. Glycobiology. 2006;16:431-9 pubmed..This method should provide a useful complement to the current method, which relies on the specificity of L(4)-PHA. ..
- Martos G, Lopez Exposito I, Bencharitiwong R, Berin M, Nowak Wegrzyn A. Mechanisms underlying differential food allergy response to heated egg. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011;127:990-7.e1-2 pubmed publisher..Egg white proteins are usually subjected to heating, making them edible for the majority of children with egg allergy...
- Meek R, Walsh K, Palmiter R. The signal sequence of ovalbumin is located near the NH2 terminus. J Biol Chem. 1982;257:12245-51 pubmed..We speculate that the hydrophobic sequence which lies between residues 25 and 45 folds back on the preceding residues to form an amphipathic hairpin structure which is the signal element recognized by the membrane. ..
- De Lorenzi E, Fell A, Caccialanza G, Massolini G, Kitsos M. Design of chiral LC separations for calcium antagonists on alpha 1-acid glycoprotein and ovomucoid columns. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 1992;10:909-15 pubmed..A new method is proposed as a new chiral system suitability test for these protein-based phases, utilizing a racemic mixture of closely eluting verapamil enantiomers as a probe. ..
- Agarwal V, Nazzal S, Reddy I, Khan M. Transport studies of insulin across rat jejunum in the presence of chicken and duck ovomucoids. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2001;53:1131-8 pubmed..The flux enhancement of insulin in the presence of alpha-chymotrypsin and DkOVM is encouraging. The use of ovomucoids offers potential to enhance oral delivery of insulin and warrants further investigation. ..
- Omana D, Wu J. A new method of separating ovomucin from egg white. J Agric Food Chem. 2009;57:3596-603 pubmed publisherb>Ovomucin, a key component in maintaining the viscous nature of egg white, is a glycoprotein contributing to 2-4% of the total egg albumin protein...
- Everberg H, Brostedt P, Oman H, Bohman S, Movérare R. Affinity purification of egg-white allergens for improved component-resolved diagnostics. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2011;154:33-41 pubmed publisher..Commercially available preparations of the egg-white allergens, ovomucoid, ovalbumin, conalbumin and lysozyme, have been reported to contain impurities which interfere with accurate CRD...
- Hase S, Sugimoto T, Takemoto H, Ikenaka T, Schmid K. The structure of sugar chains of Japanese quail ovomucoid. The occurrence of oligosaccharides not expected from the classical biosynthetic pathway for N-glycans; a method for the assessment of the structure of glycans present in picomolar amounts. J Biochem. 1986;99:1725-33 pubmed..It is noteworthy that for the latter procedure for the estimation of the structures of oligosaccharides only minute quantities of glycans (several hundreds pmol) are required. ..
- Schmied J, Rupa P, Garvie S, Wilkie B. Immune response phenotype of allergic versus clinically tolerant pigs in a neonatal swine model of allergy. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2013;154:17-24 pubmed publisher..Therefore, measurement of allergen-specific IgG, IgG1 and/or IgE activity and evaluation of late-phase ID ST may be useful in identifying allergic IR phenotypes in swine models of food allergy, which may be extended toward human use. ..
- Van der Plancken I, Van Remoortere M, Van Loey A, Hendrickx M. Trypsin inhibition activity of heat-denatured ovomucoid: a kinetic study. Biotechnol Prog. 2004;20:82-6 pubmed..6). The presence of the other egg white constituents decreased the heat stability of ovomucoid compared to that of the model system of ovomucoid in buffer, presumably by the formation of ovomucoid-lysozyme complexes in the former. ..
- Yamasaki Y, Satomi S, Murai N, Tsuzuki S, Fushiki T. Inhibition of membrane-type serine protease 1/matriptase by natural and synthetic protease inhibitors. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2003;49:27-32 pubmed..The present findings provide important information for the suppression of cancer invasion and metastasis for which MT-SP1/matriptase is responsible. ..
- Agarwal V, Nazzal S, Khan M. Optimization and in vivo evaluation of an oral dual controlled-release tablet dosage form of insulin and duck ovomucoid. Pharm Dev Technol. 2008;13:291-8 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrated the potential benefits of dosage forms with dual controlled-release mechanisms for both the protein and enzyme inhibitor. ..
- Winiarska Mieczan A, Kwiecień M. [Avian egg's white ovomucoid as food-allergen for human]. Postepy Biochem. 2007;53:212-7 pubmed..The most important allergens of egg white proteins are as follows: ovomucoid, lysozyme, ovalbumin and ovomucin. Ovomucoid is a Kazal-type protease inhibitor which accounts for about 10% of avian egg white protein...
- Shan Y, Huang X, Ma M, Miao F. Role of magnesium chloride on the purity and activity of ovomucin during the isolation process. Int J Biol Macromol. 2012;50:421-7 pubmed publisherPurification of ovomucin is still an empirical technique and sometimes insufficient quantities of ovomucin are purified to allow characterization...
- Song J, Laskowski M, Qasim M, Markley J. Two conformational states of Turkey ovomucoid third domain at low pH: three-dimensional structures, internal dynamics, and interconversion kinetics and thermodynamics. Biochemistry. 2003;42:6380-91 pubmed..15)N transverse relaxation results indicate that residues P(6)-Lys(13)-P(3)-Cys(16) in the trans state undergo a dynamic process on the microsecond-millisecond time scale not present in the cis state. ..
- Omichinski J, Clore G, Appella E, Sakaguchi K, Gronenborn A. High-resolution three-dimensional structure of a single zinc finger from a human enhancer binding protein in solution. Biochemistry. 1990;29:9324-34 pubmed
- Walczak A, Antosiewicz J. Langevin dynamics of proteins at constant pH. Phys Rev E Stat Nonlin Soft Matter Phys. 2002;66:051911 pubmed..Possible improvements of this methodology, using achievements from other fields of mesoscopic biomolecular simulations, are also discussed. ..
- Mehler E, Guarnieri F. A self-consistent, microenvironment modulated screened coulomb potential approximation to calculate pH-dependent electrostatic effects in proteins. Biophys J. 1999;77:3-22 pubmed
- Takahashi N, Khoo K, Suzuki N, Johnson J, Lee Y. N-glycan structures from the major glycoproteins of pigeon egg white: predominance of terminal Galalpha(1)Gal. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:23230-9 pubmed..In contrast to the chicken egg white counterparts, which contain mostly high mannose and hybrid types, all N-glycan structures in the major pigeon egg white glycoproteins are complex type. ..
- Valuev I, Sytov G, Valuev L, Valueva T, Ul ianova M, Plate N. [Inhibitors of proteolytic enzymes in the treatment of diabetes mellitus]. Vopr Med Khim. 2001;47:132-9 pubmed..Oral administration of this system to rabbits and rats, (in contrast to the hydrogels modified by proteolytic enzymes inhibitors without polysaccharide part), statistically significantly lowered blood glucose level. ..
- Valuev I, Sytov G, Valuev L, Vanchugova L, Pan A, Ul ianova M, et al. [Stability of immobilized insulin preparation at various pH]. Vopr Med Khim. 2002;48:618-23 pubmed..At 3.8 < pH < 5.5 insulin binds to the gel, due to electrostatic interaction between ovomucoid and insulin molecules. ..
- Ebbehøj K, Dahl A, Frøkiaer H, Nørgaard A, Poulsen L, Barkholt V. Purification of egg-white allergens. Allergy. 1995;50:133-41 pubmed..The necessity of these well-characterized proteins in studies on allergic reactions was shown by testing human sera in immunoblots of lysozyme, and by immunoblots of ovomucoid probing with antibodies against the proteins. ..
- Taketani Y, Kinugasa K, Furukawa S, Nakamura H, Otsuki R, Yasuda H, et al. Yeast thioredoxin-enriched extracts for mitigating the allergenicity of foods. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2011;75:1872-9 pubmed..These results indicate that yeast TRX was beneficial against food allergy, raising the possibility that yeast TRX-enriched extracts can be applied to food materials for mitigating food allergy. ..
- Peng H, Chang Z, Kuo S, Lee C, Tzau Y. Resting B cells are not antigen-presenting cells in the induction of oral tolerance of specific Th2 immune responses in mice. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2000;122:174-81 pubmed
- Kjaer T, Frøkiaer H. Modulation of ovomucoid-specific oral tolerance in mice fed plant extracts containing lectins. Br J Nutr. 2002;88:671-80 pubmed..Our current findings show that other dietary components can influence the specific immune response against food proteins. Various dietary components may thus contribute to the onset of adverse immunological responses. ..
- Lee J, Lee K, Yook H, Lee S, Kim H, Jo C, et al. Allergenicity of hen's egg ovomucoid gamma irradiated and heated under different pH conditions. J Food Prot. 2002;65:1196-9 pubmed..4 did not affect the concentration of OM. The results of this study indicate that a combination of irradiation and heating might be an effective method for reducing egg hypersensitivity resulting from OM. ..
- Lakshminarayanan R, Loh X, Gayathri S, Sindhu S, Banerjee Y, Kini R, et al. Formation of transient amorphous calcium carbonate precursor in quail eggshell mineralization: an in vitro study. Biomacromolecules. 2006;7:3202-9 pubmed..Altogether, these observations further demonstrate that this strategy may be common in both vertebrate and invertebrate mineralized structures. ..
- Shanazarova I, Valuev L, Valuev I, Valueva T, Obydennova I. [Immobilization of ovomucoid on chitosan]. Prikl Biokhim Mikrobiol. 2007;43:169-71 pubmed..Glutaraldehyde proved to be a more preferable cross-linking agent than carbodiimide. When chitosan is used as a protein carrier, the possibility of shifting the pH optimum of these compounds should be taken into account. ..
- Porta R, Giosafatto C, Di Pierro P, Sorrentino A, Mariniello L. Transglutaminase-mediated modification of ovomucoid: effects on its trypsin inhibitory activity and antigenic properties. Amino Acids. 2013;44:285-92 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we demonstrated that the obtained structural modification of ovomucoid significantly reduced the capability of the protein to inhibit trypsin activity, also having impact on its anti-ovomucoid serum-binding properties. ..
- Hiidenhovi J, Mäkinen J, Huopalahti R, Ryhänen E. Comparison of different egg albumen fractions as sources of ovomucin. J Agric Food Chem. 2002;50:2840-5 pubmedb>Ovomucin was fractionated from whole egg albumen, thick egg albumen, liquid egg albumen, and a liquid egg albumen filtration byproduct by using the isoelectric precipitation method...
- Hiidenhovi J, Aro H, Kankare V. Separation of ovomucin subunits by gel filtration: enhanced resolution of subunits by using a dual-column system. J Agric Food Chem. 1999;47:1004-8 pubmedAn improved procedure involving a dual-column gel-filtration system for the separation of ovomucin subunits is described...
- Mine Y, Sasaki E, Zhang J. Reduction of antigenicity and allergenicity of genetically modified egg white allergen, ovomucoid third domain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;302:133-7 pubmed..The present study indicated that glycine 32 and phenylalanine 37 have an important role on its antigenicity and allergenicity as well as structural integrity of ovomucoid DIII. ..
- Hildebrandt P, Copeland R, Spiro T, Otlewski J, Laskowski M, Prendergast F. Tyrosine hydrogen-bonding and environmental effects in proteins probed by ultraviolet resonance Raman spectroscopy. Biochemistry. 1988;27:5426-33 pubmed..The molar intensity of the strong approximately 1000-cm-1 nu 12 band of phenylalanine in aqueous solution is about half the value observed in most proteins.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS) ..
- Huang H, Cheng Y, Huang C, Huang M, Hsu W. A novel genetic marker of the ovomucoid gene associated with hatchability in Tsaiya ducks (Anas platyrhynchos). Anim Genet. 2011;42:421-7 pubmed publisher..Our results indicated that a novel PCR-RFLP marker of high hatchability, an ovomucoid gene polymorphism, can be used as a genetic marker for marker-assisted selection to improve hatchability in Tsaiya ducks. ..
- Rupa P, Mine Y. Ablation of ovomucoid-induced allergic response by desensitization with recombinant ovomucoid third domain in a murine model. Clin Exp Immunol. 2006;145:493-501 pubmed..This occurs via a suppression of specific IgE accompanied by an increase in suppressor T cell activity. This approach offers some promise for the development of treatment against ovomucoid-induced allergic response. ..
- Munro J, Walker T. Bupropion hydrochloride: the development of a chiral separation using an ovomucoid column. J Chromatogr A. 2001;913:275-82 pubmed..27-53.0 microg/g (ppm) with a correlation coefficient of 0.999 for both enantiomers. A detection limit of 0.13 microg/g and a quantitation limit of 0.27 microg/g were also found. The system precision of the method was 0.2%. ..
- Kato Y, Watanabe H, Matsuda T. Ovomucoid rendered insoluble by heating with wheat gluten but not with milk casein. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2000;64:198-201 pubmed..Heat treatment at 180 degree C for 10 min of egg white mixed with wheat gluten specifically accelerated the heat-induced change in ovomucoid. Such an effect was weakly brought about by soybean protein, but not by casein. ..
- Lee J, Kim C. Determination of allergenic egg proteins in food by protein-, mass spectrometry-, and DNA-based methods. J AOAC Int. 2010;93:462-77 pubmed
- Valuev L, Valuev I, Shanazarova I. [Structure and functional properties of temperature-sensitive derivatives of immobilized proteins]. Prikl Biokhim Mikrobiol. 2006;42:33-6 pubmed
- CLICK T, Kaminski G. Reproducing basic pKa values for turkey ovomucoid third domain using a polarizable force field. J Phys Chem B. 2009;113:7844-50 pubmed publisher..The overall conclusion is that this methodology and force field are suitable for the accurate assessment of pKa shifts for both acidic and basic protein residues. ..
- Lemon Mule H, Sampson H, Sicherer S, Shreffler W, Noone S, Nowak Wegrzyn A. Immunologic changes in children with egg allergy ingesting extensively heated egg. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008;122:977-983.e1 pubmed publisher..Prior studies have suggested that heated egg might be tolerated by some children with egg allergy...
- Rabouille C, Aon M, Thomas D. Interactions involved in ovomucin gel-forming properties: a rheological-biochemical approach. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1989;270:495-503 pubmedDifferent kinds of interactions involved in the properties of ovomucin gel formation from hen egg white were studied by combining physical and biochemical methods...
- Plate N, Valuev I, Sytov G, Valuev L. Mucoadhesive polymers with immobilized proteinase inhibitors for oral administration of protein drugs. Biomaterials. 2002;23:1673-7 pubmed..This glycoprotein inhibits the activity of proteolytic enzymes and acts as a biospecific ligand to lectins on the walls of the gastrointestinal tract. ..