Genomes and Genes
Summary: A glycoprotein albumin from hen's egg white with strong iron-binding affinity.
- Fortin A, Lagace J, Therien H. Trafficking of surface-linked and encapsulated liposomal antigens in macrophages: an immunocytochemical study. J Histochem Cytochem. 2001;49:1407-20 pubmed..Using conalbumin as a model antigen, we address the question by analyzing the movements of encapsulated and surface-linked ..
- Tanaka T, Morita H, Yoo Y, Kim W, Kumura H, Shimazaki K. Detection of bovine lactoferrin binding protein on Jurkat human lymphoblastic T cell line. J Vet Med Sci. 2004;66:865-9 pubmed..Bovine Lf, bovine transferrin and ovotransferrin bound to the same proteins of Jurkat cells, which had molecular weights of about 35 kDa. ..
- Wang Q, Jin Y, Fu X, Ma M, Cai Z. A "Turn-on-off-on" fluorescence switch based on quantum dots and gold nanoparticles for discriminative detection of ovotransferrin. Talanta. 2016;150:407-14 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the strategy provided in this work could be conveniently followed to establish similar immunosensors for the rapid detection of other proteins with corresponding antibodies. ..
- Tanabe S, Tesaki S, Watanabe M. Producing a low ovomucoid egg white preparation by precipitation with aqueous ethanol. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem. 2000;64:2005-7 pubmed..This product would thus be applicable as a new processed food for ovomucoid-sensitive allergic patients. ..
- Kingston I, Williams J. The amino acid sequence of a carbohydrate-containing fragment of hen ovotransferrin. Biochem J. 1975;147:463-72 pubmed..Yorkshire LS23 7BQ, U.K., from whom copies may be obtained on the terms indicated in Biochem. J. (1975), 145, 5. ..
- Bakouche O, Lachman L. Antigen presentation by liposomes bearing class II MHC and membrane IL-1. Yale J Biol Med. 1990;63:95-107 pubmedLiposomes containing membrane IL-1, Iak, and the antigen conalbumin were evaluated as "synthetic antigen presenting cells...
- Botting C. The use of the slow crystallisation method to improve matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionisation time-of-flight signals for larger proteins. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2000;14:2030-3 pubmed..1 pmol/microL and in the presence of smaller contaminants. Signal intensity is volume dependent and spectra can be obtained from crystals prepared in a range of common buffers. ..
- Dunn I, Rodriguez Navarro A, McDade K, Schmutz M, Preisinger R, Waddington D, et al. Genetic variation in eggshell crystal size and orientation is large and these traits are correlated with shell thickness and are associated with eggshell matrix protein markers. Anim Genet. 2012;43:410-8 pubmed publisher..The crystal measurements and/or the associated genetic markers may therefore prove to be useful in selection programs to improve eggshell quality. ..
- Le Floch Fouéré C, Pezennec S, Pézolet M, Rioux Dubé J, Renault A, Beaufils S. Unexpected differences in the behavior of ovotransferrin at the air-water interface at pH 6.5 and 8.0. J Colloid Interface Sci. 2011;356:614-23 pubmed publisher..At this pH, the interface exhibits a low shear elastic constant and a spectral signature not usual for globular proteins. ..
- Sant Angelo D, Robinson E, Janeway C, Denzin L. Recognition of core and flanking amino acids of MHC class II-bound peptides by the T cell receptor. Eur J Immunol. 2002;32:2510-20 pubmed..Here we demonstrate that the flanking residues of the conalbumin peptide bound to I-A(k) have no effect on recognition by the D10 TCR...
- McKallip R, Do Y, Fisher M, Robertson J, Nagarkatti P, Nagarkatti M. Role of CD44 in activation-induced cell death: CD44-deficient mice exhibit enhanced T cell response to conventional and superantigens. Int Immunol. 2002;14:1015-26 pubmed..CD44 knockout (KO) mice had an elevated in vivo primary and in vitro secondary response to challenge with conalbumin, anti-CD3 mAb and staphylococcal enterotoxin A (SEA), which correlated with reduced AICD when compared to CD44 ..
- Davis M, Fortin A, Thérien H. The intrasplenic circulation of three formulations of the same protein antigen. Immunobiology. 2002;205:204-18 pubmedThis paper presents a kinetic study of the intrasplenic circulation of three formulations of the protein antigen conalbumin including the soluble form and two liposomal formulations, one encapsulated in the internal aqueous milieu and one ..
- Kim J, Lee J, Park M, Han Y, Shin M, Ahn K. Special consideration is required for the component-resolved diagnosis of egg allergy in infants. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2014;112:53-7 pubmed publisher..As a patient's age increased, specific IgE binding to ovalbumin and ovotransferrin increased (P = .011 and .004). IgE reactivity to egg allergens differs according to children's ages. ..
- Van Droogenbroeck C, Dossche L, Wauman T, Van Lent S, Phan T, Beeckman D, et al. Use of ovotransferrin as an antimicrobial in turkeys naturally infected with Chlamydia psittaci, avian metapneumovirus and Ornithobacterium rhinotracheale. Vet Microbiol. 2011;153:257-63 pubmed publisher..Our results justify additional clinical trials to explore the use of this innovative antimicrobial strategy for poultry...
- Sobiś Glinkowska M, Mikucki J, Lisiecki P. [Animal body iron sources utilized in vitro by enterococci]. Med Dosw Mikrobiol. 2001;53:9-15 pubmed..Spectrum of utilized iron sources was not depended on species affiliation and origin of strains. ..
- Ko K, Ahn D. An economic and simple purification procedure for the large-scale production of ovotransferrin from egg white. Poult Sci. 2008;87:1441-50 pubmed publisher..Also, the isolated ovotransferrin can be applied in human foods, because the only solvent used in this process is ethanol. Furthermore, the AG1-X2 ion exchange resin and ethanol used in this process can be regenerated and recovered. ..
- Li Y, Liu B, Ge Z, Yang B. Spectroscopic analysis of the interaction between gallium(III) and apoovotransferrin. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2008;91:137-42 pubmed publisher..UV difference spectra were also used to measure the rate at which EDTA removes Ga(3+) from ovotransferrin carrying one Ga(3+) at the N-terminal site. Ga(3+) removal from the N-terminal binding site follows simple saturation kinetics. ..
- Wellman Labadie O, Picman J, Hincke M. Comparative antibacterial activity of avian egg white protein extracts. Br Poult Sci. 2008;49:125-32 pubmed publisher..4. Galliformes appear to possess albumens with greater antimicrobial activity than those of the Anseriformes. This can be attributed to higher concentrations of ovotransferrin and the broad acting c-type lysozyme. ..
- Xie H, Huff G, Huff W, Balog J, Holt P, Rath N. Identification of ovotransferrin as an acute phase protein in chickens. Poult Sci. 2002;81:112-20 pubmed..Although the significance of ovotransferrin in avian inflammation is not clear, these results show that it is a major acute phase protein (APP) in chickens. ..
- Faeste C, Løvberg K, Lindvik H, Egaas E. Extractability, stability, and allergenicity of egg white proteins in differently heat-processed foods. J AOAC Int. 2007;90:427-36 pubmed..It could be shown that differences in egg protein extractability have a significant impact on the interpretation of study results. ..
- Tanaka T, Abe Y, Inoue N, Kim W, Kumura H, Nagasawa H, et al. The detection of bovine lactoferrin binding protein on Trypanosoma brucei. J Vet Med Sci. 2004;66:619-25 pubmed..brucei, which exhibited molecular masses of 40 and 43 kDa. The N-terminal amino acid sequence of the 40 kDa bLF binding protein was identified as glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase (GAPDH). ..
- Takahashi N, Khoo K, Suzuki N, Johnson J, Lee Y. N-glycan structures from the major glycoproteins of pigeon egg white: predominance of terminal Galalpha(1)Gal. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:23230-9 pubmed..In contrast to the chicken egg white counterparts, which contain mostly high mannose and hybrid types, all N-glycan structures in the major pigeon egg white glycoproteins are complex type. ..
- Abeyrathne E, Lee H, Ahn D. Separation of ovotransferrin and ovomucoid from chicken egg white. Poult Sci. 2014;93:1010-7 pubmed publisher..The ELISA results confirmed that the activity of the separated ovotransferrin was >95%. Both of the protocols separated ovotransferrin and ovomucoid effectively and the methods were simple, fast, and easy to scale up. ..
- Panheleux M, Nys Y, Williams J, Gautron J, Boldicke T, Hincke M. Extraction and quantification by ELISA of eggshell organic matrix proteins (ovocleidin-17, ovalbumin, ovotransferrin) in shell from young and old hens. Poult Sci. 2000;79:580-8 pubmed..The quantification of specific eggshell matrix proteins in shell of differing quality is, therefore, a promising tool for analyzing the origin of eggshell faults and may provide useful information for breeding programs. ..
- Jeltsch J, Hen R, Maroteaux L, Garnier J, Chambon P. Sequence of the chicken ovotransferrin gene. Nucleic Acids Res. 1987;15:7643-5 pubmed
- Sorokin L, Morgan E, Yeoh G. Differences in transferrin receptor function between normal developing and transformed myogenic cells as revealed by differential effects of phorbol ester on receptor distribution and rates of iron uptake. J Biol Chem. 1988;263:14128-33 pubmed
- Hu J, Yu S, Yao P. Stable amphoteric nanogels made of ovalbumin and ovotransferrin via self-assembly. Langmuir. 2007;23:6358-64 pubmed..The native ovalbumin and ovotransferrin cannot bind with benzoic acid, whereas the nanogels with the network structure and hydrophobic binding sites can load benzoic acid through hydrophobic and electrostatic interactions. ..
- Beeckman D, Van Droogenbroeck C, De Cock B, Van Oostveldt P, Vanrompay D. Effect of ovotransferrin and lactoferrins on Chlamydophila psittaci adhesion and invasion in HD11 chicken macrophages. Vet Res. 2007;38:729-39 pubmed..The present findings suggest a possible role for transferrins and especially ovoTF, in preventing avian Cp. psittaci infections. ..
- Lechevalier V, Croguennec T, Pezennec S, Guérin Dubiard C, Pasco M, Nau F. Ovalbumin, ovotransferrin, lysozyme: three model proteins for structural modifications at the air-water interface. J Agric Food Chem. 2003;51:6354-61 pubmed..On the other hand, lysozyme did not undergo any structural modification. These results clearly underscore that at the air-water interface proteins are susceptible to denaturation. ..
- Wellman Labadie O, Picman J, Hincke M. Antimicrobial activity of cuticle and outer eggshell protein extracts from three species of domestic birds. Br Poult Sci. 2008;49:133-43 pubmed publisher..4. The results suggest that the antimicrobial outer eggshell and cuticle proteins present in a number of avian species may be a mechanism which enhances avian reproductive success...
- Kim J, Moon S, Ahn D, Paik H, Park E. Antioxidant effects of ovotransferrin and its hydrolysates. Poult Sci. 2012;91:2747-54 pubmed publisher..Both OTF and OH showed protective effects against the oxidative stress-induced DNA damages in human leukocytes. Overall, OTF possessed antioxidant abilities and hydrolyzation of OTF with acid or enzymes improved these abilities. ..
- Zhao K, Yang L, Wang X, Bai Q, Yang F, Wang F. Preparation of a novel dual-function strong cation exchange/hydrophobic interaction chromatography stationary phase for protein separation. Talanta. 2012;98:86-94 pubmed publisher..The result is very important not only to the development of new 2DLC technology with a single column for proteomics, but also to recombinant protein drug production for saving column expense and simplifying the process in biotechnology. ..
- Hong S, Chelouche A, Lin R, Shaywitz D, Braunstein N, Glimcher L, et al. An MHC interaction site maps to the amino-terminal half of the T cell receptor alpha chain variable domain. Cell. 1992;69:999-1009 pubmed..These results document the involvement of CDR1 and/or CDR2 of the TCR alpha chain in MHC recognition and suggest a rotational orientation of this TCR to its MHC ligand. ..
- Shen S, Chahal B, Majumder K, You S, Wu J. Identification of novel antioxidative peptides derived from a thermolytic hydrolysate of ovotransferrin by LC-MS/MS. J Agric Food Chem. 2010;58:7664-72 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, the addition of amino acid residues to either the N or C terminus of the two peptides decreased the antioxidant activity, suggesting that the motif of Trp-Asn-Ile is responsible for the high antioxidant activity. ..
- Ko K, Mendonca A, Ahn D. Influence of zinc, sodium bicarbonate, and citric acid on the antibacterial activity of ovotransferrin against Escherichia coli O157:H7 and Listeria monocytogenes in model systems and ham. Poult Sci. 2008;87:2660-70 pubmed publisher..coli and L. monocytogenes, but there are some limitations as discussed for applying ovotransferrin to meat or meat products. ..
- Matsudomi N, Kanda Y, Yoshika Y, Moriwaki H. Ability of alphas-Casein to suppress the heat aggregation of ovotransferrin. J Agric Food Chem. 2004;52:4882-6 pubmed..The suppressive effects of alphas-casein on heat aggregation of OT would be partially ascribed to the formation of transparent gel from egg white by the addition of alphas-casein. ..
- Loponen J, König K, Wu J, Ganzle M. Influence of thiol metabolism of lactobacilli on egg white proteins in wheat sourdoughs. J Agric Food Chem. 2008;56:3357-62 pubmed publisher..Proteolytic degradation of ovotransferrin was attributable to wheat aspartic proteinases. In addition to the susceptibility to proteolysis, other functional properties of egg proteins may be influenced by thiol-exchange reactions. ..
- Jeltsch J, Chambon P. The complete nucleotide sequence of the chicken ovotransferrin mRNA. Eur J Biochem. 1982;122:291-5 pubmed..C., Mayo, K. E., and Palmiter, R. D. (1979) Nucleic Acids Res. 6, 2435-2452] of chicken ovotransferrin (conalbumin) mRNA has been determined. Taking into account the previously reported 5'-end sequence [Cochet, M., Gannon, F...
- Guérin Dubiard C, Pasco M, Hietanen A, Quiros del Bosque A, Nau F, Croguennec T. Hen egg white fractionation by ion-exchange chromatography. J Chromatogr A. 2005;1090:58-67 pubmed..Four of them are high-recovery yield purified fractions of lysozyme, ovotransferrin, ovalbumin and flavoprotein. The two other fractions are enriched in recently detected minor proteins in hen egg white. ..
- Okamoto I, Mizutani K, Hirose M. Iron-binding process in the amino- and carboxyl-terminal lobes of ovotransferrin: quantitative studies utilizing single Fe3+-binding mutants. Biochemistry. 2004;43:11118-25 pubmed..25 kcal/mol) and upon the secondary C-lobe iron binding in the monoferric N-lobe (DeltaG(AB), -6.45 kcal/mol). ..
- Carlevaro M, Cermelli S, Cancedda R, Descalzi Cancedda F. Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in cartilage neovascularization and chondrocyte differentiation: auto-paracrine role during endochondral bone formation. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 ( Pt 1):59-69 pubmed..Furthermore, VEGF receptor localization and signal transduction in chondrocytes strongly support the hypothesis of a VEGF autocrine activity also in morphogenesis and differentiation of a mesoderm derived cell. ..
- de Sousa R, Coimbra J, da Silva L, da Silva M, Rojas E, Vicente A. Thermodynamic studies of partitioning behavior of lysozyme and conalbumin in aqueous two-phase systems. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2009;877:2579-84 pubmed publisher..to determine the thermodynamic parameters (Delta(tr)G, Delta(tr)H and Delta(tr)S) associated with lysozyme and conalbumin partitioning in aqueous two-phases systems (ATPS)...
- Giansanti F, Rossi P, Massucci M, Botti D, Antonini G, Valenti P, et al. Antiviral activity of ovotransferrin discloses an evolutionary strategy for the defensive activities of lactoferrin. Biochem Cell Biol. 2002;80:125-30 pubmedOvotransferrin (formerly conalbumin) is an iron-binding protein present in birds. It belongs to the transferrin family and shows about 50% sequence homology with mammalian serum transferrin and lactoferrin...
- Lambert L. Molecular evolution of the transferrin family and associated receptors. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1820:244-55 pubmed publisher..More work is needed to better understand the functions and evolution of the non-vertebrate family members. This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Molecular Mechanisms of Iron Transport and Disorders. ..
- Walsh B, Hill D, Macoun P, Cairns D, Howden M. Detection of four distinct groups of hen egg allergens binding IgE in the sera of children with egg allergy. Allergol Immunopathol (Madr). 2005;33:183-91 pubmed..A sufficiently large number of patients must be examined so as to give a representative distribution across each group, otherwise the results may be biased towards one allergen. ..
- Giansanti F, Leboffe L, Pitari G, Ippoliti R, Antonini G. Physiological roles of ovotransferrin. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2012;1820:218-25 pubmed publisher..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Transferrins: Molecular mechanisms of iron transport and disorders. ..
- Kuser P, Hall D, Haw M, Neu M, Evans R, Lindley P. The mechanism of iron uptake by transferrins: the X-ray structures of the 18 kDa NII domain fragment of duck ovotransferrin and its nitrilotriacetate complex. Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2002;58:777-83 pubmed..The second tyrosine residue, Tyr95, is not bound directly to the iron. The implication of these structures with respect to the mechanism of iron binding by the transferrins is addressed. ..
- Singh P, Parsek M, Greenberg E, Welsh M. A component of innate immunity prevents bacterial biofilm development. Nature. 2002;417:552-5 pubmed..These findings reveal a specific anti-biofilm defence mechanism acting at a critical juncture in biofilm development, the time bacteria stop roaming as individuals and aggregate into durable communities. ..
- Li Y, Kilpatrick J, Whitelam G. Sheep monoclonal antibody fragments generated using a phage display system. J Immunol Methods. 2000;236:133-46 pubmed..Total RNA from pooled spleens of sheep immunised with the model antigens human serum albumin and conalbumin were used to amplify immunoglobulin V gene repertoires and an efficient two-step cloning method was employed to ..
- Mizutani K, Mikami B, Hirose M. Domain closure mechanism in transferrins: new viewpoints about the hinge structure and motion as deduced from high resolution crystal structures of ovotransferrin N-lobe. J Mol Biol. 2001;309:937-47 pubmed
- Juan H, Chang S, Huang H, Chen S. A new application of microwave technology to proteomics. Proteomics. 2005;5:840-2 pubmed..by the mass spectral analyses of the peptide fragmentation of several proteins, including lysozyme, albumin, conalbumin, and ribonuclease A...
- Williams J, Elleman T, Kingston I, Wilkins A, Kuhn K. The primary structure of hen ovotransferrin. Eur J Biochem. 1982;122:297-303 pubmed..The sequence of hen ovotransferrin is compared with the partial available for human transferrin. From this some tentative conclusions about the identities of the metal-binding residues and about the evolution of transferrin are reached. ..