Genomes and Genes
Summary: Proteins which are found in eggs (OVA) from any species.
- Shu Y, Wang J, Lu K, Zhou J, Zhou Q, Zhang G. The first vitellogenin receptor from a Lepidopteran insect: molecular characterization, expression patterns and RNA interference analysis. Insect Mol Biol. 2011;20:61-73 pubmed publisher..These results mean that VgR is critical for binding Vg and transporting it into the oocytes of the insect ovary, thus playing an important role in insect reproduction...
- Han L, Monné M, Okumura H, Schwend T, Cherry A, Flot D, et al. Insights into egg coat assembly and egg-sperm interaction from the X-ray structure of full-length ZP3. Cell. 2010;143:404-15 pubmed publisher..Alternative conformations of the area around the O-glycan indicate how sperm binding could trigger downstream events via intramolecular signaling. ..
- Reading B, Hiramatsu N, Sullivan C. Disparate binding of three types of vitellogenin to multiple forms of vitellogenin receptor in white perch. Biol Reprod. 2011;84:392-9 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first report on binding of multiple types of Vtg to multiple forms of Vtgr in any vertebrate. ..
- José O, Hernandez Hernandez O, Chirinos M, González González M, Larrea F, Almanza A, et al. Recombinant human ZP3-induced sperm acrosome reaction: evidence for the involvement of T- and L-type voltage-gated calcium channels. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010;395:530-4 pubmed publisher..Consistent with this, we detected in human sperm transcripts for the Ca(V)1 auxiliary subunits, alpha(2)delta, beta(1), beta(2) and beta(4), but not the neuronal specific isoforms beta(3) and gamma(2). ..
- Gahlay G, Gauthier L, Baibakov B, Epifano O, Dean J. Gamete recognition in mice depends on the cleavage status of an egg's zona pellucida protein. Science. 2010;329:216-9 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that sperm-egg recognition depends on the cleavage status of ZP2 and that binding at the surface of the zona is not sufficient to induce sperm acrosome exocytosis. ..
- Naz R, Dhandapani L. Identification of human sperm proteins that interact with human zona pellucida3 (ZP3) using yeast two-hybrid system. J Reprod Immunol. 2010;84:24-31 pubmed publisher..Novel proteins identified using this system may find applications in elucidating the fertilization cascade, development of a new generation of non-steroidal contraceptives, and specific diagnosis and treatment of human infertility. ..
- Ganguly A, Bukovsky A, Sharma R, Bansal P, Bhandari B, Gupta S. In humans, zona pellucida glycoprotein-1 binds to spermatozoa and induces acrosomal exocytosis. Hum Reprod. 2010;25:1643-56 pubmed publisher..In human the ZP is composed of four glycoproteins: ZP1, ZP2, ZP3 and ZP4. In the present study, the expression profile of ZP1 in human oocytes and ovaries, and its role during fertilization, is presented...
- Ituarte S, Dreon M, Pasquevich M, Fernández P, Heras H. Carbohydrates and glycoforms of the major egg perivitellins from Pomacea apple snails (Architaenioglossa: Ampullariidae). Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2010;157:66-72 pubmed publisher..This is the first report of these structures in gastropods other than heterobranchs...
- Fahel J, Macedo G, Pinheiro C, Caliari M, Oliveira S. IPSE/alpha-1 of Schistosoma mansoni egg induces enlargement of granuloma but does not alter Th2 balance after infection. Parasite Immunol. 2010;32:345-53 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, IPSE/alpha-1 immunization induces a mixed Th1/Th2 type of immune response and enlargement of hepatic granuloma caused by an increased macrophage activity, but does not alter Th2 cytokines following infection. ..
- Lee J, Kim C. Determination of allergenic egg proteins in food by protein-, mass spectrometry-, and DNA-based methods. J AOAC Int. 2010;93:462-77 pubmed
- Gupta S, Bansal P, Ganguly A, Bhandari B, Chakrabarti K. Human zona pellucida glycoproteins: functional relevance during fertilization. J Reprod Immunol. 2009;83:50-5 pubmed publisher..The contribution, if any, of human ZP glycoprotein-1 (ZP1) during these stages of fertilization remains to be elucidated...
- Fernandes I, Chanut Delalande H, Ferrer P, Latapie Y, Waltzer L, Affolter M, et al. Zona pellucida domain proteins remodel the apical compartment for localized cell shape changes. Dev Cell. 2010;18:64-76 pubmed publisher..These results on ZPD proteins therefore reveal a functional subcompartmentalization of the apical membrane and its role in the polarized control of epithelial cell shape during development. ..
- Yauger B, Boggs N, Dean J. Human ZP4 is not sufficient for taxon-specific sperm recognition of the zona pellucida in transgenic mice. Reproduction. 2011;141:313-9 pubmed publisher..We conclude that human ZP4 is not sufficient to support human sperm binding to the zona pellucida in transgenic mice and that other zona proteins may be needed for human gamete recognition. ..
- Williams S, Stanley P. Premature ovarian failure in mice with oocytes lacking core 1-derived O-glycans and complex N-glycans. Endocrinology. 2011;152:1057-66 pubmed publisher..The absence of developing follicles, ovary dysfunction, reduced testosterone and inhibin A, and elevated FSH in double-mutant females lacking C1galt1 and Mgat1 in oocytes represents a new mouse model for the study of follicular POF. ..
- Swanson W, Aagaard J, Vacquier V, Monné M, Sadat Al Hosseini H, Jovine L. The molecular basis of sex: linking yeast to human. Mol Biol Evol. 2011;28:1963-6 pubmed publisher..6-1 billion years of evolution, functionally essential domains of a mollusc sperm receptor and a yeast mating protein adopt the same 3D fold as egg zona pellucida proteins mediating the binding between gametes in humans. ..
- ..Such roles include not only functioning as fusogens, or as adhesion molecules for the opposite gamete, but also functioning through interactions in cis with other proteins to regulate membrane order and functionality. ..
- D Alessandro A, Righetti P, Fasoli E, Zolla L. The egg white and yolk interactomes as gleaned from extensive proteomic data. J Proteomics. 2010;73:1028-42 pubmed publisher..However, it is yet to be assessed how these observations could correlate with previous analyses about the role of egg yolk derived proteins in counteracting blood coagulation. ..
- Burkart A, Xiong B, Baibakov B, Jim nez Movilla M, Dean J. Ovastacin, a cortical granule protease, cleaves ZP2 in the zona pellucida to prevent polyspermy. J Cell Biol. 2012;197:37-44 pubmed publisher..Ovastacin is a pioneer component of mouse cortical granules and plays a definitive role in the postfertilization block to sperm binding that ensures monospermic fertilization and successful development...
- Stetson I, Izquierdo Rico M, Moros C, Chevret P, Lorenzo P, Ballesta J, et al. Rabbit zona pellucida composition: a molecular, proteomic and phylogenetic approach. J Proteomics. 2012;75:5920-35 pubmed publisher..The data presented in this manuscript provide evidence, for the first time, that the rabbit ZP is composed of four glycoproteins...
- Schramm G, Mohrs K, Wodrich M, Doenhoff M, Pearce E, Haas H, et al. Cutting edge: IPSE/alpha-1, a glycoprotein from Schistosoma mansoni eggs, induces IgE-dependent, antigen-independent IL-4 production by murine basophils in vivo. J Immunol. 2007;178:6023-7 pubmed..Thus, IPSE/alpha-1 induces basophils to produce IL-4 even in the absence of Ag-specific IgE. ..
- Ganguly A, Sharma R, Gupta S. Bonnet monkey (Macaca radiata) ovaries, like human oocytes, express four zona pellucida glycoproteins. Mol Reprod Dev. 2008;75:156-66 pubmed..The data presented in this manuscript provide evidence, for the first time, that the bonnet monkey ZP matrix is composed of four glycoproteins...
- Clark N, Gasper J, Sekino M, Springer S, Aquadro C, Swanson W. Coevolution of interacting fertilization proteins. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000570 pubmed publisher..Thus, abalone fertilization proteins illustrate how coevolution can lead to reproductive barriers and potentially drive speciation. ..
- Hayakawa H, Andoh T, Watanabe T. Precursor structure of egg proteins in the coral Galaxea fascicularis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2006;344:173-80 pubmed
- Wuhrer M, Balog C, Catalina M, Jones F, Schramm G, Haas H, et al. IPSE/alpha-1, a major secretory glycoprotein antigen from schistosome eggs, expresses the Lewis X motif on core-difucosylated N-glycans. FEBS J. 2006;273:2276-92 pubmed..This is the first report both on the expression of Lewis X on a specific schistosome egg protein and on a protein-specific glycosylation analysis of schistosome eggs. ..
- Holmes A, Flett A, Coudreuse D, Korswagen H, Pettitt J. C. elegans Disabled is required for cell-type specific endocytosis and is essential in animals lacking the AP-3 adaptor complex. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:2741-51 pubmed
- Darie C, Janssen W, Litscher E, Wassarman P. Purified trout egg vitelline envelope proteins VEbeta and VEgamma polymerize into homomeric fibrils from dimers in vitro. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008;1784:385-92 pubmed..The relationship between the behavior of fish egg VE proteins and mouse ZP glycoproteins, as well as other ZP domain-containing proteins, is discussed. ..
- Guidugli Lazzarini K, do Nascimento A, Tanaka E, Piulachs M, Hartfelder K, Bitondi M, et al. Expression analysis of putative vitellogenin and lipophorin receptors in honey bee (Apis mellifera L.) queens and workers. J Insect Physiol. 2008;54:1138-47 pubmed publisher..In situ hybridization analysis performed on ovaries detected Amvgr mRNA exclusively in germ line cells and corroborated the qPCR results showing an increase in Amvgr gene expression concomitant with follicle growth...
- Aagaard J, Vacquier V, MacCoss M, Swanson W. ZP domain proteins in the abalone egg coat include a paralog of VERL under positive selection that binds lysin and 18-kDa sperm proteins. Mol Biol Evol. 2010;27:193-203 pubmed publisher..molecules is key to our understanding of reproductive biology, yet only a few examples of interacting sperm and egg proteins are known. One of the best characterized comes from the invertebrate archeogastropod abalone (Haliotis spp...
- Aleixandre A, Miguel M, Muguerza B. [Peptides with antihypertensive activity from milk and egg proteins]. Nutr Hosp. 2008;23:313-8 pubmed..Some studies also describe the production of antihypertensive hydrolysates and peptides from egg proteins. The sequences FRADHPFL (ovokinin) and RADHPFL (ovokinin 2-7), that have shown endothelium-dependent ..
- Xu W, He Y, Tang H, Jia X, Ji C, Gu S, et al. Minimal motif mapping of a known epitope on human zona pellucida protein-4 using a peptide biosynthesis strategy. J Reprod Immunol. 2009;81:9-16 pubmed publisher..This construct elicited high titer antibody to the 18mer B cell epitope peptide, with reactivity to native human ZP, the biosynthetic 18mer peptide and the 18mer peptide GST fusion protein. ..
- Chiu P, Wong B, Lee C, Pang R, Lee K, Sumitro S, et al. Native human zona pellucida glycoproteins: purification and binding properties. Hum Reprod. 2008;23:1385-93 pubmed publisher..Our current technology cannot generate recombinant human ZP (hZP) glycoproteins with native glycosylation...
- Lu H, Vinson S, Pietrantonio P. Oocyte membrane localization of vitellogenin receptor coincides with queen flying age, and receptor silencing by RNAi disrupts egg formation in fire ant virgin queens. FEBS J. 2009;276:3110-23 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first report of RNA interference in any ant species and the first report of silencing of a hymenopteran VgR. ..
- Harris K, Schnittke N, Beckendorf S. Two ligands signal through the Drosophila PDGF/VEGF receptor to ensure proper salivary gland positioning. Mech Dev. 2007;124:441-8 pubmed..Rescue experiments indicate that the PDGF/VEGF pathway functions autonomously in the salivary gland. The results of this study demonstrate that the Drosophila PDGF/VEGF pathway is essential for proper positioning of the salivary glands. ..
- Lubzens E, Young G, Bobe J, Cerdà J. Oogenesis in teleosts: how eggs are formed. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2010;165:367-89 pubmed publisher..The role of blood-borne and local ovarian factors in the regulation of the key steps of development reveal new aspects associated with egg formation. ..
- Monné M, Han L, Schwend T, Burendahl S, Jovine L. Crystal structure of the ZP-N domain of ZP3 reveals the core fold of animal egg coats. Nature. 2008;456:653-7 pubmed publisher..Moreover, it provides an important framework for understanding human diseases caused by mutations in ZP domain proteins and developing new methods of non-hormonal contraception. ..
- Caballero Campo P, Chirinos M, Fan X, González González M, Galicia Chavarría M, Larrea F, et al. Biological effects of recombinant human zona pellucida proteins on sperm function. Biol Reprod. 2006;74:760-8 pubmed..These studies of two processes involved in sperm penetration through the ZP confirm that zona glycoproteins promote acrosomal exocytosis and now establish an additional role for these components as modifiers of sperm motility. ..
- Liu X, Wang H, Gong Z. Tandem-repeated Zebrafish zp3 genes possess oocyte-specific promoters and are insensitive to estrogen induction. Biol Reprod. 2006;74:1016-25 pubmed..Thus, the new transgenic line not only provided a convenient living marker for monitoring female gonad development, but also demonstrated that a single zp3 gene promoter is sufficient for oocyte-specific transcription. ..
- Miguel M, Aleixandre A. Antihypertensive peptides derived from egg proteins. J Nutr. 2006;136:1457-60 pubmed..peptides derived from food proteins, but very few described the production of bioactive peptides from egg proteins. The first 2 antihypertensive peptides isolated in egg were obtained by enzymatic hydrolysis of ovalbumin...
- Mine Y. Egg proteins and peptides in human health--chemistry, bioactivity and production. Curr Pharm Des. 2007;13:875-84 pubmed
- Mann K. The chicken egg white proteome. Proteomics. 2007;7:3558-68 pubmed..The list of egg white proteins provided is by far the most comprehensive at present and is intended to serve as a starting point for the isolation and functional characterization of interesting new proteins. ..
- Williams S, Stanley P. Oocyte-specific deletion of complex and hybrid N-glycans leads to defects in preovulatory follicle and cumulus mass development. Reproduction. 2009;137:321-31 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the absence of complex and hybrid N-glycans on oocyte glycoproteins leads to abnormal folliculogenesis resulting in a decreased ovulation rate. ..
- Litscher E, Williams Z, Wassarman P. Zona pellucida glycoprotein ZP3 and fertilization in mammals. Mol Reprod Dev. 2009;76:933-41 pubmed publisher..However, the chimeric protein does not induce the acrosome reaction. Therefore, polypeptide encoded by mZP3 exon-7 is necessary and sufficient for binding of mouse sperm...
- Ni Y, Li K, Xu W, Song L, Yao K, Zhang X, et al. Acrosome reaction induced by recombinant human zona pellucida 3 peptides rhuZP3a22 approximately 176 and rhuZP3b177 approximately 348 and their mechanism. J Androl. 2007;28:381-8 pubmed
- Gautron J, Murayama E, Vignal A, Morisson M, McKee M, Réhault S, et al. Cloning of ovocalyxin-36, a novel chicken eggshell protein related to lipopolysaccharide-binding proteins, bactericidal permeability-increasing proteins, and plunc family proteins. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:5273-86 pubmed..OCX-36 may therefore participate in natural defense mechanisms that keep the egg free of pathogens. ..
- Mold D, Dinitz A, Sambandan D. Regulation of zebrafish zona pellucida gene activity in developing oocytes. Biol Reprod. 2009;81:101-10 pubmed publisher..The significance that these results have in furthering our understanding of the regulation of zebrafish zp gene evolution and regulation is discussed. ..
- Izquierdo Rico M, Jimenez Movilla M, Llop E, Perez Oliva A, Ballesta J, Gutierrez Gallego R, et al. Hamster zona pellucida is formed by four glycoproteins: ZP1, ZP2, ZP3, and ZP4. J Proteome Res. 2009;8:926-41 pubmed publisher..The data presented in this study provide evidence, for the first time, that the hamster ZP matrix is composed of four glycoproteins...
- Tufail M, Takeda M. Insect vitellogenin/lipophorin receptors: molecular structures, role in oogenesis, and regulatory mechanisms. J Insect Physiol. 2009;55:87-103 pubmed publisher..VgR/LpR mRNA and the protein were detected in the germarium, suggesting that the genes involved in receptor-endocytotic machinery are specifically expressed long before they are functionally required. ..
- Ohsugi M, Zheng P, Baibakov B, Li L, Dean J. Maternally derived FILIA-MATER complex localizes asymmetrically in cleavage-stage mouse embryos. Development. 2008;135:259-69 pubmed..If so, the plasticity of the FILIA-MATER complex localization may reflect the regulative nature of preimplantation mouse development...
- Schramm G, Gronow A, Knobloch J, Wippersteg V, Grevelding C, Galle J, et al. IPSE/alpha-1: a major immunogenic component secreted from Schistosoma mansoni eggs. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2006;147:9-19 pubmed..mansoni egg glycoproteins that induce pronounced antibody responses. Its IL-4-inducing capacity, moreover, suggests that IPSE/alpha-1 plays a role in initiating the Th2 response induced by patent S. mansoni infections. ..