Genomes and Genes
receptor regulated smad proteins
Summary: A family of smad proteins that undergo PHOSPHORYLATION by CELL SURFACE RECEPTORS in response to TRANSFORMING GROWTH FACTOR BETA; ACTIVIN; or BONE MORPHOGENETIC PROTEIN signaling.
- Liu Y, Ren W, Warburton R, Toksoz D, Fanburg B. Serotonin induces Rho/ROCK-dependent activation of Smads 1/5/8 in pulmonary artery smooth muscle cells. FASEB J. 2009;23:2299-306 pubmed publisher..Rho and Rho kinase also participate in the activation of Smads by BMP. ..
- Makkar P, Metpally R, Sangadala S, Reddy B. Modeling and analysis of MH1 domain of Smads and their interaction with promoter DNA sequence motif. J Mol Graph Model. 2009;27:803-12 pubmed publisher..We then modeled interaction pose of the MH1 domain of Smad1/5/8 to their corresponding DNA sequence motif GCCG. These models provide the structural basis towards understanding functional similarities and differences among various Smads. ..
- Park D, Estevez A, Riddle D. Antagonistic Smad transcription factors control the dauer/non-dauer switch in C. elegans. Development. 2010;137:477-85 pubmed publisher..In the adult, DAF-8 downregulates lag-2 expression in the distal tip cells, thus promoting germ line meiosis. This function does not involve DAF-3, thereby avoiding the feedback loop that functions in the dauer switch. ..
- Alam A, Suzuki H, Tsukahara T. Retinoic acid treatment and cell aggregation independently regulate alternative splicing in P19 cells during neural differentiation. Cell Biol Int. 2010;34:631-43 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest that RA treatment and cell aggregation independently regulate the alternative splicing mechanism in the early stage of P19 cells during neural differentiation. ..
- Heikkinen P, Nummela M, Jokilehto T, Grenman R, Kahari V, Jaakkola P. Hypoxic conversion of SMAD7 function from an inhibitor into a promoter of cell invasion. Cancer Res. 2010;70:5984-93 pubmed publisher..The data provide evidence that hypoxia could convert Smad7 function from an invasion inhibitor into an activator of invasion. Furthermore, they might shed light as to why increased Smad7 expression is detected in cancers. ..
- Yang F, Huang X, Chung A, Hou C, Lai K, Lan H. Essential role for Smad3 in angiotensin II-induced tubular epithelial-mesenchymal transition. J Pathol. 2010;221:390-401 pubmed publisher..Smad3, but not Smad2, may be a mediator of EMT, while Smad7 may play a protective role in EMT in response to Ang II. ..
- Wehrhan F, Nkenke E, Melnychenko I, Amann K, Schlegel K, Goerlach C, et al. Skin repair using a porcine collagen I/III membrane--vascularization and epithelization properties. Dermatol Surg. 2010;36:919-30 pubmed publisher..Matrix was distinguishable until day 7. This membrane serves as a suitable full-thickness dermal substitute, because the membrane is vascularized faster than free granulation tissue and enables early epithelization. ..
- Fei T, Xia K, Li Z, Zhou B, Zhu S, Chen H, et al. Genome-wide mapping of SMAD target genes reveals the role of BMP signaling in embryonic stem cell fate determination. Genome Res. 2010;20:36-44 pubmed publisher..Combined with computational analysis, our results suggest that SMAD-mediated BMP signaling balances self-renewal versus differentiation by modulating a set of developmental regulators. ..
- Huang J, Dattilo L, Rajagopal R, Liu Y, Kaartinen V, Mishina Y, et al. FGF-regulated BMP signaling is required for eyelid closure and to specify conjunctival epithelial cell fate. Development. 2009;136:1741-50 pubmed publisher..A second row of eyelashes is a feature of human lymphedema-distichiasis syndrome, which is associated with mutations in FOXC2...
- Yu J, Pan L, Qin X, Chen H, Xu Y, Chen Y, et al. MTMR4 attenuates transforming growth factor beta (TGFbeta) signaling by dephosphorylating R-Smads in endosomes. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:8454-62 pubmed publisher..This work therefore suggests that MTMR4 plays an important role in preventing the overactivation of TGFbeta signaling by dephosphorylating activated R-Smads that have been trafficked to early endosomes. ..
- Zaidi S, Huang Q, Momen A, Riazi A, Husain M. Growth differentiation factor 5 regulates cardiac repair after myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;55:135-43 pubmed publisher..Increased expression of Gdf5 after MI limits infarct scar expansion in vivo. These effects might be mediated by Gdf5-induced p38-MAPK signaling in fibroblasts and Gdf5-driven Smad-dependent pro-survival signaling in cardiomyocytes. ..
- Jung P, Hermeking H. The c-MYC-AP4-p21 cascade. Cell Cycle. 2009;8:982-9 pubmed..Here we survey the recent findings and discuss the role of AP4 for c-MYC function and its potential application for cancer diagnosis and therapy. ..