Genomes and Genes
proto oncogene protein c ets 1
Summary: An ets proto-oncogene protein expressed primarily in adult LYMPHOID TISSUE; BRAIN; and VASCULAR ENDOTHELIAL CELLS.
- Champion K, Guinea M, Dammai V, Hsu T. Endothelial function of von Hippel-Lindau tumor suppressor gene: control of fibroblast growth factor receptor signaling. Cancer Res. 2008;68:4649-57 pubmed publisher..Thus, partial loss of function of VHL in endothelium may be a contributing factor in tumor angiogenesis through a HIF-VEGF-independent mechanism. ..
- Holterman C, Franovic A, Payette J, Lee S. ETS-1 oncogenic activity mediated by transforming growth factor alpha. Cancer Res. 2010;70:730-40 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a previously unrecognized mechanism by which Ets-1 oncogenic activity can be explained in human cancer through its ability to regulate the important cellular mitogen TGFalpha. ..
- Sugiura K, Ito K. Roles of Ets-1 and p70S6 kinase in chondrogenic and gliogenic specification of mouse mesencephalic neural crest cells. Mech Dev. 2010;127:169-82 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Ets-1 activated by the Erk pathway promotes chondrogenic specification and p70S6k activated by both the Erk and Akt pathways plays an important role in gliogenic specification. ..
- Bujor A, Nakerakanti S, Morris E, Hant F, Trojanowska M. Akt inhibition up-regulates MMP1 through a CCN2-dependent pathway in human dermal fibroblasts. Exp Dermatol. 2010;19:347-54 pubmed publisher..Coordinate expression of CCN2, Akt and MMP1 could be important for normal wound healing to occur. Thus, targeting these specific proteins may represent a promising approach to the therapy of dysregulated wound healing. ..
- Kim M, Lee C, Hur J, Cho H, Jun S, Kim T, et al. Priming with angiopoietin-1 augments the vasculogenic potential of the peripheral blood stem cells mobilized with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor through a novel Tie2/Ets-1 pathway. Circulation. 2009;120:2240-50 pubmed publisher..The short-term priming with COMP-Ang1 may be a feasible and promising option to activate (mob)PBSCs by enhancing differentiation and adhesiveness and to improve the efficacy of cell therapy for ischemic diseases. ..
- Itoh T, Takeda S, Akao Y. MicroRNA-208 modulates BMP-2-stimulated mouse preosteoblast differentiation by directly targeting V-ets erythroblastosis virus E26 oncogene homolog 1. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:27745-52 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results suggest that the down-regulation of miR-208 in BMP-2-stimulated osteoblast differentiation is an important part of the regulatory machinery involved in early osteogenesis. ..
- Montes A, Valle Garay E, Alvarez V, Pevida M, Garcia Perez E, Paz J, et al. A functional polymorphism in MMP1 could influence osteomyelitis development. J Bone Miner Res. 2010;25:912-9 pubmed publisher..The MMP1 (-1607 1G/2G) polymorphism might contribute to OM pathogenesis. This could be due to increased expression of MMP-1 by osteoblasts and is regulated by IL-1alpha. ..
- Kumar P, Garg R, Bolden G, Pandey K. Interactive roles of Ets-1, Sp1, and acetylated histones in the retinoic acid-dependent activation of guanylyl cyclase/atrial natriuretic peptide receptor-A gene transcription. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:37521-30 pubmed publisher..Collectively, the present results demonstrate that ATRA regulates Npr1 gene transcription and GC activity of the receptor by involving the interactive actions of Ets-1, Sp1, and histone acetylation. ..
- Hahne J, Kummer S, Heukamp L, Fuchs T, Gun M, Langer B, et al. Regulation of protein tyrosine kinases in tumour cells by the transcription factor Ets-1. Int J Oncol. 2009;35:989-96 pubmed..In contrast Ets-1 seems to act as a transcriptional repressor of other PTKs. The data presented here underscore the importance of Ets-1 in tumour development and progression. ..
- Vournakis J, Eldridge J, Demcheva M, Muise Helmericks R. Poly-N-acetyl glucosamine nanofibers regulate endothelial cell movement and angiogenesis: dependency on integrin activation of Ets1. J Vasc Res. 2008;45:222-32 pubmed
- Laitem C, Leprivier G, Choul Li S, Begue A, Monte D, Larsimont D, et al. Ets-1 p27: a novel Ets-1 isoform with dominant-negative effects on the transcriptional properties and the subcellular localization of Ets-1 p51. Oncogene. 2009;28:2087-99 pubmed publisher..Thus the dual-acting dominant-negative function of Ets-1 p27 gives to the Ets-1 p27/Ets-1 p51 ratio a determining effect on cell fate...
- Yang H, Shen L, Siliciano R, Pomerantz J. Isolation of a cellular factor that can reactivate latent HIV-1 without T cell activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:6321-6 pubmed publisher..Our results highlight the therapeutic potential of cellular factors for the reactivation of latent HIV-1 and provide an efficient approach for their identification. ..
- Higashikawa K, Yoneda S, Tobiume K, Saitoh M, Taki M, Mitani Y, et al. DeltaNp63alpha-dependent expression of Id-3 distinctively suppresses the invasiveness of human squamous cell carcinoma. Int J Cancer. 2009;124:2837-44 pubmed publisher..These findings propose a particular role of the off-signaling of the DeltaNp63alpha-Id-3 axis incident to Snail-mediated EMT for the MMP-2-dependent invasiveness in SCC cells. ..
- Abdelalim E, Tooyama I. BNP signaling is crucial for embryonic stem cell proliferation. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5341 pubmed publisher..Appropriate BNP expression is essential for the maintenance of ES cell propagation. These findings establish BNP as a novel endogenous regulator of ES cell proliferation. ..
- Ben Nasr H, Chahed K, Remadi S, Zakhama A, Chouchane L. Expression and clinical significance of latent membrane protein-1, matrix metalloproteinase-1 and Ets-1 transcription factor in tunisian nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients. Arch Med Res. 2009;40:196-203 pubmed publisher..02). The results of the current study suggest that LMP-1 may contribute to invasion and metastasis of undifferentiated NPCs through the induction of MMP-1. ..
- Leprivier G, Baillat D, Begue A, Hartmann B, Aumercier M. Ets-1 p51 and p42 isoforms differentially modulate Stromelysin-1 promoter according to induced DNA bend orientation. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:4341-52 pubmed publisher..These results establish that differential DNA bending, via p51 and p42 differential binding, is correlated with the Stromelysin-1 promoter activation process. ..
- Cordisco S, Maurelli R, Bondanza S, Stefanini M, Zambruno G, Guerra L, et al. Bmi-1 reduction plays a key role in physiological and premature aging of primary human keratinocytes. J Invest Dermatol. 2010;130:1048-62 pubmed publisher..Altogether these findings underline a key role of Bmi-1 downregulation in enforcing aging in primary human keratinocytes...
- Struewing I, Durham S, Barnett C, Mao C. Enhanced endothelial cell senescence by lithium-induced matrix metalloproteinase-1 expression. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:17595-606 pubmed publisher..Altogether our data indicate that lithium-induced MMP-1 may participate in the reinforcement of EC senescence and reveal a novel mechanism for lithium-induced tissue remodeling. ..
- Ren T, Zhou Y, Wu J, Zhang Z, Hao T, Wang J, et al. [Relationship between Ets-1 expression and angiogenesis, clinicopathological features and survival of patients with gastric carcinoma]. Zhonghua Zhong Liu Za Zhi. 2009;31:674-8 pubmed..Ets-1 plays an important role in angiogenesis in gastric cancer. Ets-1 is a useful marker for predicting the outcome for patients with gastric carcinoma, though it is not an independent prognostic indicator. ..
- Pap Z, Pávai Z, Dénes L, Kovalszky I, Jung J. An immunohistochemical study of colon adenomas and carcinomas: E-cadherin, Syndecan-1, Ets-1. Pathol Oncol Res. 2009;15:579-87 pubmed publisher..De novo carcinomas have lower E-cadherin and syndecan-1 expression, and higher Ets-1 expression compared to ex adenoma carcinomas. These findings support the hypothesis that there are differences in the carcinogenesis of these tumors. ..
- Kamberaj H, van der Vaart A. Extracting the causality of correlated motions from molecular dynamics simulations. Biophys J. 2009;97:1747-55 pubmed publisher..Helix H4 is shown to act as a relay, which is attenuated in the apo state. ..
- Chen H, Han W, Deng M, Qin J, Yuan D, Liu J, et al. Transcriptional regulation of PP2A-A alpha is mediated by multiple factors including AP-2alpha, CREB, ETS-1, and SP-1. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7019 pubmed publisher..ChIP assays further confirm that all the above transcription factors participate the regulation of PP2A-A alpha gene promoter. Together, our results reveal that multiple transcription factors regulate the PP2A-A alpha gene. ..
- Kapila S, Xie Y, Wang W. Induction of MMP-1 (collagenase-1) by relaxin in fibrocartilaginous cells requires both the AP-1 and PEA-3 promoter sites. Orthod Craniofac Res. 2009;12:178-86 pubmed publisher..CONCLUSION - These studies show that both the AP-1 and PEA-3 promoter sites are necessary for the induction of MMP-1 by relaxin in fibrocartilaginous cells. ..
- He C, Liu Y, Cheng Y, Gao J, Pan T, Han J, et al. TNIP1, SLC15A4, ETS1, RasGRP3 and IKZF1 are associated with clinical features of systemic lupus erythematosus in a Chinese Han population. Lupus. 2010;19:1181-6 pubmed publisher..13, p = 0.02) and malar rash (OR = 0.83, p = 0.00038), respectively. The study suggested that these susceptibility genes might not only play important roles in the development of SLE, but also contribute to the complex phenotypes of SLE. ..
- Peng Y, Li H, Wu M, Wang X, Fan S, Liu F, et al. NGX6 inhibits AP-1 and Ets-1 expression and down-regulates cyclin D1 in human colorectal cancer. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai). 2009;41:504-14 pubmed..Its overexpression can inhibit the expression of transcription factors AP-1 and Ets-1, and down-regulate the transcriptional activity of the cyclin D1 promoter in human CRC. ..
- Leong W, Chau J, Li B. p53 Deficiency leads to compensatory up-regulation of p16INK4a. Mol Cancer Res. 2009;7:354-60 pubmed publisher..These studies uncover a compensatory mechanism for the loss of p53 and provide a basis for targeting both p53 and p16(INK4a) in cancer therapy. ..
- Yim H, Kim J, Yoo K, Bae I, Jang G, Hong Y, et al. Spironolactone, but not enalapril, potentiates hypoxia-inducible factor-1 alpha and Ets-1 expression in newborn rat kidney. J Physiol Pharmacol. 2010;61:73-81 pubmed..Angiotensin II inhibition did not affect hypoxia-related alterations in the developing kidney. The components of RAAS may differentially modulate renal hypoxia and its related target genes in the developing rat kidney. ..
- Gascoyne D, Dunne J, Behjati S, Sebire N, Anderson J, Latchman D. EWS/ETS proteins promote expression and regulate function of the homeodomain transcription factor BRN3A. Oncogene. 2010;29:3134-45 pubmed publisher..These results extend the hypothesis that EWS/ETS proteins induce expression of neuronal markers such as BRN3A in EFT by showing that the function of those same markers may be restricted or controlled in an EWS/ETS-dependent manner. ..
- Choul Li S, Leroy C, Leprivier G, Laitem C, Tulasne D, Aumercier M. Caspase cleavage of Ets-1 p51 generates fragments with transcriptional dominant-negative function. Biochem J. 2010;426:229-41 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our results establish that caspase cleavage generates a stable C-terminal fragment that acts as a natural dominant-negative form of the full-length Ets-1 p51 protein. ..
- Kumar P, Pandey K. Cooperative activation of Npr1 gene transcription and expression by interaction of Ets-1 and p300. Hypertension. 2009;54:172-8 pubmed publisher..The present findings should yield important insights into the molecular signaling governing Npr1 gene transcription, an important regulator in the control of hypertension and cardiovascular events. ..
- Groh A, Meyer H, Schmidt E, Heintz N, Sakmann B, Krieger P. Cell-type specific properties of pyramidal neurons in neocortex underlying a layout that is modifiable depending on the cortical area. Cereb Cortex. 2010;20:826-36 pubmed publisher..This result suggests that although cortical output neurons share a basic layout throughout the sensory cortex, fine differences in properties are tuned to the cortical area in which neurons reside. ..
- Ye M, Coldren C, Liang X, Mattina T, Goldmuntz E, Benson D, et al. Deletion of ETS-1, a gene in the Jacobsen syndrome critical region, causes ventricular septal defects and abnormal ventricular morphology in mice. Hum Mol Genet. 2010;19:648-56 pubmed publisher..Our results implicate an important role for the ETS-1 transcription factor in mammalian heart development and should provide important insights into some of the most common forms of congenital heart disease. ..
- Dwivedi P, Omdahl J, Kola I, Hume D, May B. Regulation of rat cytochrome P450C24 (CYP24) gene expression. Evidence for functional cooperation of Ras-activated Ets transcription factors with the vitamin D receptor in 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3)-mediated induction. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:47-55 pubmed..A fundamental role was established for transcriptional cooperation between Ras-activated Ets proteins and the VDR.RXR complex in mediating 1, 25-(OH)(2)D(3) action on the CYP24 promoter. ..
- Li T, Jiang S. Effect of bFGF on invasion of ovarian cancer cells through the regulation of Ets-1 and urokinase-type plasminogen activator. Pharm Biol. 2010;48:161-5 pubmed publisher..bFGF can enhance the invasion ability of ovarian cancer cells in vitro by inducing the expression of uPA, and this effect is also regulated by the transcription factor Ets-1. ..
- Nelson M, Kang H, Lee G, Blaszczak A, Lau D, McIntosh L, et al. Ras signaling requires dynamic properties of Ets1 for phosphorylation-enhanced binding to coactivator CBP. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:10026-31 pubmed publisher..This detailed structural and mechanistic information will guide strategies for targeting ETS proteins in human disease. ..
- Fitzsimmons D, Lukin K, Lutz R, Garvie C, Wolberger C, Hagman J. Highly cooperative recruitment of Ets-1 and release of autoinhibition by Pax5. J Mol Biol. 2009;392:452-64 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest a mechanism that allows Pax5 to overcome autoinhibition of Ets-1 DNA binding. In summary, these data illustrate requirements for partnerships between Ets proteins and Pax5. ..
- Yang W, Shen N, Ye D, Liu Q, Zhang Y, Qian X, et al. Genome-wide association study in Asian populations identifies variants in ETS1 and WDFY4 associated with systemic lupus erythematosus. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1000841 pubmed publisher..These new genetic findings may help us to gain a better understanding of the disease and the functions of the genes involved. ..
- Zhang Z, Kobayashi S, Borczuk A, Leidner R, LaFramboise T, Levine A, et al. Dual specificity phosphatase 6 (DUSP6) is an ETS-regulated negative feedback mediator of oncogenic ERK signaling in lung cancer cells. Carcinogenesis. 2010;31:577-86 pubmed publisher..Further studies assessing the tumor suppressive role of DUSP6 and strategies aimed at modulation of its activity are warranted. ..
- Li Q, Eppolito C, Odunsi K, Shrikant P. Antigen-induced Erk1/2 activation regulates Ets-1-mediated sensitization of CD8+ T cells for IL-12 responses. J Leukoc Biol. 2010;87:257-63 pubmed publisher..These results identify the role of antigen strength-dependent Erk1/2 activation for Ets-1-mediated collaboration with IL-12 in CD8+ T cells. ..
- Zhang J, Zhang X, Zhu Y, Chen Z, Xu Z, Miao Y. Transcriptional regulation of human mucin gene MUC4 in pancreatic cancer cells. Mol Biol Rep. 2010;37:2797-802 pubmed publisher..Our findings will be helpful for better understanding the transcriptional regulation of MUC4 in pancreatic cancer cells and identifying key biologically relevant factors that may account for its aberrant expression in pancreatic cancer. ..
- Sharma T, Ettensohn C. Activation of the skeletogenic gene regulatory network in the early sea urchin embryo. Development. 2010;137:1149-57 pubmed publisher..We postulate the existence of additional, unidentified repressors that are controlled by pmar1, and propose that the ability of pmar1 to derepress alx1 and delta is regulated by the unequal division of vegetal blastomeres. ..
- Bosman J, Yehiely F, Evans J, Cryns V. Regulation of alphaB-crystallin gene expression by the transcription factor Ets1 in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010;119:63-70 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results point to a previously unrecognized link between the oncogenic transcription factor Ets1 and alphaB-crystallin in basal-like breast cancer. ..
- Wei G, Srinivasan R, Cantemir Stone C, Sharma S, Santhanam R, Weinstein M, et al. Ets1 and Ets2 are required for endothelial cell survival during embryonic angiogenesis. Blood. 2009;114:1123-30 pubmed publisher..These results establish essential and overlapping functions for Ets1 and Ets2 in coordinating endothelial cell functions with survival during embryonic angiogenesis. ..
- Braig S, Mueller D, Rothhammer T, Bosserhoff A. MicroRNA miR-196a is a central regulator of HOX-B7 and BMP4 expression in malignant melanoma. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2010;67:3535-48 pubmed publisher..In summary, our study provides insights into the early steps of melanoma progression and might thereby harbor therapeutic relevance. ..
- Park H, Cho D, Kim H, Lee J, Cho B, Bang S, et al. Collagen synthesis is suppressed in dermal fibroblasts by the human antimicrobial peptide LL-37. J Invest Dermatol. 2009;129:843-50 pubmed publisher..Silencing of the Ets-1 reversed inhibitory effects of LL-37. Taken together, these findings show that LL-37 can directly act on dermal fibroblasts and may have antifibrotic action during the wound repair process. ..
- Kim H, Song S, Choi J, Kim K, Cho B, Cho D, et al. IL-18 downregulates collagen production in human dermal fibroblasts via the ERK pathway. J Invest Dermatol. 2010;130:706-15 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that IL-18 downregulates collagen production in HDF directly via Ets-1 and the ERK pathway, suggesting that IL-18 may exert antifibrotic activities in dermal fibroblasts. ..
- Cojocariu M, St Louis M, Archambault D. Bovine immunodeficiency virus: identification of a long terminal repeat sequence with enhanced promoter activity. Arch Virol. 2009;154:1163-7 pubmed publisher..Restoration experiments to the wild-type genotype indicated that both the -135 and -114 nucleic acid substitutions were responsible for the enhanced promoter activity of BIV LTRn...
- Kosaka T, Miyajima A, Shirotake S, Kikuchi E, Hasegawa M, Mikami S, et al. Ets-1 and hypoxia inducible factor-1alpha inhibition by angiotensin II type-1 receptor blockade in hormone-refractory prostate cancer. Prostate. 2010;70:162-9 pubmed publisher..Our results provide the molecular basis of the clinical benefit of ARB as an angiogenic inhibitor in HRPC. ..
- Arman M, Aguilera Montilla N, Mas V, Puig Kröger A, Pignatelli M, Guigo R, et al. The human CD6 gene is transcriptionally regulated by RUNX and Ets transcription factors in T cells. Mol Immunol. 2009;46:2226-35 pubmed publisher..Therefore, RUNX1/3 and Ets1 control the expression of CD6 in human T lymphocytes, thus expanding the range of T-cell specific and developmentally regulated lymphocyte gene targets involved in T-cell activation and differentiation. ..