Genomes and Genes
proto oncogene proteins c myb
Summary: Cellular DNA-binding proteins encoded by the myb gene (GENES, MYB). They are expressed in a wide variety of cells including thymocytes and lymphocytes, and regulate cell differentiation. Overexpression of myb is associated with autoimmune diseases and malignancies.
- Xiao C, Calado D, Galler G, Thai T, Patterson H, Wang J, et al. MiR-150 controls B cell differentiation by targeting the transcription factor c-Myb. Cell. 2007;131:146-59 pubmed
- Li X, McDonnell D. The transcription factor B-Myb is maintained in an inhibited state in target cells through its interaction with the nuclear corepressors N-CoR and SMRT. Mol Cell Biol. 2002;22:3663-73 pubmed..Cumulatively, these findings suggest that the nuclear corepressors N-CoR and SMRT serve a previously unappreciated role as regulators of B-Myb transcriptional activity. ..
- Sramko M, Markus J, Kabat J, Wolff L, Bies J. Stress-induced inactivation of the c-Myb transcription factor through conjugation of SUMO-2/3 proteins. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:40065-75 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate that SUMO-2/3 proteins conjugate to c-Myb and negatively regulate its activity in cells under stress. ..
- Berge T, Matre V, Brendeford E, Saether T, Luscher B, Gabrielsen O. Revisiting a selection of target genes for the hematopoietic transcription factor c-Myb using chromatin immunoprecipitation and c-Myb knockdown. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2007;39:278-86 pubmed
- Yamamoto H, Kihara Negishi F, Yamada T, Suzuki M, Nakano T, Oikawa T. Interaction between the hematopoietic Ets transcription factor Spi-B and the coactivator CREB-binding protein associated with negative cross-talk with c-Myb. Cell Growth Differ. 2002;13:69-75 pubmed..Our results suggest that CBP acts as a transcriptional coactivator of Spi-B and mediates synergistic or antagonistic interactions between other transcription factors. ..
- Emambokus N, Vegiopoulos A, Harman B, Jenkinson E, Anderson G, Frampton J. Progression through key stages of haemopoiesis is dependent on distinct threshold levels of c-Myb. EMBO J. 2003;22:4478-88 pubmed..Overall, our results point to a complex involvement of c-Myb in the regulation of proliferation and commitment within the haemopoietic hierarchy. ..
- Wada T, Kurata T, Tominaga R, Koshino Kimura Y, Tachibana T, Goto K, et al. Role of a positive regulator of root hair development, CAPRICE, in Arabidopsis root epidermal cell differentiation. Development. 2002;129:5409-19 pubmed..We also show that the N terminus of bHLH protein interacts with CPC and is responsible for the GL2 expression. We propose a model in which CPC plays a key role in the fate-determination of hair-forming cells. ..
- Shepard J, Amatruda J, Stern H, Subramanian A, Finkelstein D, Ziai J, et al. A zebrafish bmyb mutation causes genome instability and increased cancer susceptibility. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:13194-9 pubmed..Our findings show that zebrafish screens can uncover cancer pathways, and demonstrate that loss of function of bmyb is associated with cancer. ..
- Ryu K, Kang Y, Park Y, Hwang I, Schiefelbein J, Lee M. The WEREWOLF MYB protein directly regulates CAPRICE transcription during cell fate specification in the Arabidopsis root epidermis. Development. 2005;132:4765-75 pubmed..These results provide experimental support for the proposed role of WER as an activator of gene transcription during the specification of both epidermal cell fates. ..
- Opalinska J, Kalota A, Gifford L, Lu P, Jen K, Pradeepkumar P, et al. Oxetane modified, conformationally constrained, antisense oligodeoxyribonucleotides function efficiently as gene silencing molecules. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:5791-9 pubmed..We conclude that rationally targeted, OXE modified ODNs, can function efficiently as gene silencing agents, and hypothesize that they will prove useful for therapeutic purposes. ..
- Kirik V, Schnittger A, Radchuk V, Adler K, Hulskamp M, Bäumlein H. Ectopic expression of the Arabidopsis AtMYB23 gene induces differentiation of trichome cells. Dev Biol. 2001;235:366-77 pubmed..Together, the presented data indicate that the AtMYB23 gene has partially overlapping functions with GLABRA1 in controlling the initiation of trichome development. ..
- Bertrand J, Kim A, Teng S, Traver D. CD41+ cmyb+ precursors colonize the zebrafish pronephros by a novel migration route to initiate adult hematopoiesis. Development. 2008;135:1853-62 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies suggest that expression of CD41 and cmyb marks nascent HSCs in the zebrafish AGM, and provide the means to further dissect HSC generation and function in the early vertebrate embryo. ..
- Ness S. Myb protein specificity: evidence of a context-specific transcription factor code. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2003;31:192-200 pubmed
- Clappier E, Cuccuini W, Kalota A, Crinquette A, Cayuela J, Dik W, et al. The C-MYB locus is involved in chromosomal translocation and genomic duplications in human T-cell acute leukemia (T-ALL), the translocation defining a new T-ALL subtype in very young children. Blood. 2007;110:1251-61 pubmed..2 years) and with a proliferation/mitosis expression signature. By contrast, the MYB(dup) alteration was associated with the previously defined T-ALL subtypes. ..
- Sakamoto H, Dai G, Tsujino K, Hashimoto K, Huang X, Fujimoto T, et al. Proper levels of c-Myb are discretely defined at distinct steps of hematopoietic cell development. Blood. 2006;108:896-903 pubmed
- Lang G, Gombert W, Gould H. A transcriptional regulatory element in the coding sequence of the human Bcl-2 gene. Immunology. 2005;114:25-36 pubmed..Interaction of B-Myb with HSS8 may enhance bcl-2 gene expression by co-operating with positive regulatory elements (e.g. previously identified B-Myb response elements) or silencing negative response elements in the bcl-2 gene promoter. ..
- Sandberg M, Sutton S, Pletcher M, Wiltshire T, Tarantino L, Hogenesch J, et al. c-Myb and p300 regulate hematopoietic stem cell proliferation and differentiation. Dev Cell. 2005;8:153-66 pubmed..Cell cycle analyses show that twice as many HSCs from c-Myb(M303V/M303V) animals are actively cycling. Thus c-Myb, through interaction with p300, controls the proliferation and differentiation of hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells. ..
- Kurata T, Ishida T, Kawabata Awai C, Noguchi M, Hattori S, Sano R, et al. Cell-to-cell movement of the CAPRICE protein in Arabidopsis root epidermal cell differentiation. Development. 2005;132:5387-98 pubmed..Furthermore, the fusion of CPC to tandem-GFPs defined the capability of CPC to increase the size exclusion limit of plasmodesmata. ..
- Fang F, Rycyzyn M, Clevenger C. Role of c-Myb during prolactin-induced signal transducer and activator of transcription 5a signaling in breast cancer cells. Endocrinology. 2009;150:1597-606 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results indicate that c-Myb potentiates Stat5a-driven gene expression, possibly functioning as a Stat5a coactivator, in human breast cancer. ..
- Bies J, Markus J, Wolff L. Covalent attachment of the SUMO-1 protein to the negative regulatory domain of the c-Myb transcription factor modifies its stability and transactivation capacity. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:8999-9009 pubmed..Thus, modification of c-Myb with SUMO-1 represents a novel mechanism through which the negative regulatory domain can exert its suppressing activity on c-Myb transactivation capacity. ..
- Lee M, Schiefelbein J. Cell pattern in the Arabidopsis root epidermis determined by lateral inhibition with feedback. Plant Cell. 2002;14:611-8 pubmed..These results provide a molecular genetic framework for understanding the determination of a cell-type pattern in plants. ..
- Andersson K, Berge T, Matre V, Gabrielsen O. Sequence selectivity of c-Myb in vivo. Resolution of a DNA target specificity paradox. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:21986-94 pubmed
- Lin Y, Kuo M, Yu J, Kuo H, Lin R, Lo W, et al. c-Myb is an evolutionary conserved miR-150 target and miR-150/c-Myb interaction is important for embryonic development. Mol Biol Evol. 2008;25:2189-98 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that c-Myb is an evolutionally conserved target of miR-150 and miR-150/c-Myb interaction is important for embryonic development and possibly oncogenesis. ..
- Tominaga R, Iwata M, Okada K, Wada T. Functional analysis of the epidermal-specific MYB genes CAPRICE and WEREWOLF in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 2007;19:2264-77 pubmed..Furthermore, we showed by gel mobility shift assays that WER chimera proteins do not bind to the GL2 promoter region. However, a CPC chimera protein, which harbors the WER R3 motif, still binds to the GL2 promoter region. ..
- Saether T, Berge T, Ledsaak M, Matre V, Alm Kristiansen A, Dahle O, et al. The chromatin remodeling factor Mi-2alpha acts as a novel co-activator for human c-Myb. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:13994-4005 pubmed..Interestingly, desumoylation of c-Myb potentiated the Myb-Mi-2alpha transactivational co-operation, as did co-transfection with p300. ..
- Costa S, Shaw P. Chromatin organization and cell fate switch respond to positional information in Arabidopsis. Nature. 2006;439:493-6 pubmed..This ability to remodel chromatin organization may provide the basis for the plasticity in plant cell fate changes. ..
- Manak J, Mitiku N, Lipsick J. Mutation of the Drosophila homologue of the Myb protooncogene causes genomic instability. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:7438-43 pubmed..Together these findings imply that Dm-Myb provides an essential nontranscriptional function during chromosomal replication. ..
- Berge T, Bergholtz S, Andersson K, Gabrielsen O. A novel yeast system for in vivo selection of recognition sequences: defining an optimal c-Myb-responsive element. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:E99 pubmed..Novel features include a more strict sequence requirement in the second half-site of the MRE where a T-rich sequence is preferred in vivo. ..
- Karamysheva Z, Surovtseva Y, Vespa L, Shakirov E, Shippen D. A C-terminal Myb extension domain defines a novel family of double-strand telomeric DNA-binding proteins in Arabidopsis. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:47799-807 pubmed..Thus, Myb-ext is required for binding plant telomeric DNA and defines a novel class of proteins in Arabidopsis. ..
- Lieu Y, Kumar A, Pajerowski A, Rogers T, Reddy E. Requirement of c-myb in T cell development and in mature T cell function. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:14853-8 pubmed..In addition, our data show that c-myb is directly involved in the formation of double-positive CD4+CD8+CD25+, CD4+CD25+, and CD8+CD25+ T cells, developmental processes that may imply a role for c-myb in autoimmune dysfunction. ..
- Lei W, Rushton J, Davis L, Liu F, Ness S. Positive and negative determinants of target gene specificity in myb transcription factors. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:29519-27 pubmed
- Gianni S, Guydosh N, Khan F, Caldas T, Mayor U, White G, et al. Unifying features in protein-folding mechanisms. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:13286-91 pubmed..Thus, framework and nucleation-condensation are different manifestations of an underlying common mechanism. ..
- Dahle Ø, Andersen T, Nordgård O, Matre V, Del Sal G, Gabrielsen O. Transactivation properties of c-Myb are critically dependent on two SUMO-1 acceptor sites that are conjugated in a PIASy enhanced manner. Eur J Biochem. 2003;270:1338-48 pubmed..We propose that the negative influence on transactivation properties by the negative regulatory domain region of c-Myb depends on the sumoylation sites located here. ..
- Thomas M, Kremer C, Ravichandran K, Rajewsky K, Bender T. c-Myb is critical for B cell development and maintenance of follicular B cells. Immunity. 2005;23:275-86 pubmed..Thus, c-Myb is important during multiple stages of B-lymphopoiesis. ..
- Lu J, Guo S, Ebert B, Zhang H, Peng X, Bosco J, et al. MicroRNA-mediated control of cell fate in megakaryocyte-erythrocyte progenitors. Dev Cell. 2008;14:843-53 pubmed publisher..These experiments show that miR-150 regulates MEP fate, and thus establish a role for miRNAs in lineage specification of mammalian multipotent cells. ..
- Alm Kristiansen A, Saether T, Matre V, Gilfillan S, Dahle O, Gabrielsen O. FLASH acts as a co-activator of the transcription factor c-Myb and localizes to active RNA polymerase II foci. Oncogene. 2008;27:4644-56 pubmed publisher..These results imply a novel molecular mechanism of regulation of c-Myb activity. We propose that c-Myb cooperates with FLASH in foci associated with active RNA polymerase II, leading to enhancement of Myb-dependent gene activation. ..
- Stracke R, Werber M, Weisshaar B. The R2R3-MYB gene family in Arabidopsis thaliana. Curr Opin Plant Biol. 2001;4:447-56 pubmed..R2R3-type MYB genes control many aspects of plant secondary metabolism, as well as the identity and fate of plant cells. ..
- Gifford L, Opalinska J, Jordan D, Pattanayak V, Greenham P, Kalota A, et al. Identification of antisense nucleic acid hybridization sites in mRNA molecules with self-quenching fluorescent reporter molecules. Nucleic Acids Res. 2005;33:e28 pubmed..The general utility of this method is demonstrated by SQRM identification of targetable sequence within c-myb and bcl-6 mRNA. Corresponding antisense oligonucleotides reduce these gene products in cells. ..
- Fujita Y, Hayashi T, Kiyomitsu T, Toyoda Y, Kokubu A, Obuse C, et al. Priming of centromere for CENP-A recruitment by human hMis18alpha, hMis18beta, and M18BP1. Dev Cell. 2007;12:17-30 pubmed..Telophase centromere chromatin may be primed or licensed by the hMis18 complex and RbAp46/48 to recruit CENP-A through regulating the acetylation status in the centromere. ..
- Koshino Kimura Y, Wada T, Tachibana T, Tsugeki R, Ishiguro S, Okada K. Regulation of CAPRICE transcription by MYB proteins for root epidermis differentiation in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell Physiol. 2005;46:817-26 pubmed..We showed that WER also binds to the GL2 promoter region, indicating that WER directly regulates CPC and GL2 transcription by binding to their promoter regions. ..
- Marks M, Esch J. Initiating inhibition. Control of epidermal cell patterning in plants. EMBO Rep. 2003;4:24-5 pubmed
- Manak J, Wen H, Van T, Andrejka L, Lipsick J. Loss of Drosophila Myb interrupts the progression of chromosome condensation. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:581-7 pubmed
- Pearson R, Weston K. c-Myb regulates the proliferation of immature thymocytes following beta-selection. EMBO J. 2000;19:6112-20 pubmed..Super activation of c-Myb by Pim1 may therefore be required for beta-selection. ..
- Schellmann S, Schnittger A, Kirik V, Wada T, Okada K, Beermann A, et al. TRIPTYCHON and CAPRICE mediate lateral inhibition during trichome and root hair patterning in Arabidopsis. EMBO J. 2002;21:5036-46 pubmed..Thus, the same lateral inhibition mechanism seems to be involved in both de novo patterning and position-dependent cell determination. We propose a model explaining trichome and root hair patterning by a common mechanism. ..
- Kishi H, Jin Z, Wei X, Nagata T, Matsuda T, Saito S, et al. Cooperative binding of c-Myb and Pax-5 activates the RAG-2 promoter in immature B cells. Blood. 2002;99:576-83 pubmed..These results suggest that cooperative binding of c-Myb and Pax-5 to the RAG-2 promoter is one of the mechanisms to direct the restricted expression of the RAG-2 in immature B cells. ..
- Sala A. B-MYB, a transcription factor implicated in regulating cell cycle, apoptosis and cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2005;41:2479-84 pubmed..Here, we discuss how B-MYB could be implicated in tumourigenesis by regulating gene expression. ..
- Bergholtz S, Andersen T, Andersson K, Borrebaek J, Luscher B, Gabrielsen O. The highly conserved DNA-binding domains of A-, B- and c-Myb differ with respect to DNA-binding, phosphorylation and redox properties. Nucleic Acids Res. 2001;29:3546-56 pubmed..Our data suggest that the small differences that have evolved between individual Myb family members lead to clear differences in DBD properties even if their sequence recognition remains the same. ..
- Maurice D, Hooper J, Lang G, Weston K. c-Myb regulates lineage choice in developing thymocytes via its target gene Gata3. EMBO J. 2007;26:3629-40 pubmed..We show that Gata3 is a direct target of c-Myb, and propose that c-Myb is an important regulator of Gata3, required for transduction of the T-cell receptor signal for subsequent helper cell lineage differentiation. ..
- Iwai N, Kitajima K, Sakai K, Kimura T, Nakano T. Alteration of cell adhesion and cell cycle properties of ES cells by an inducible dominant interfering Myb mutant. Oncogene. 2001;20:1425-34 pubmed..These results are well consistent with the recent report on the phenotype of B-Myb null mice and show that the regulation of cell adhesion is an important B-Myb function that has not yet been assumed. ..
- Ramsay R. c-Myb a stem-progenitor cell regulator in multiple tissue compartments. Growth Factors. 2005;23:253-61 pubmed
- Lee M, Schiefelbein J. WEREWOLF, a MYB-related protein in Arabidopsis, is a position-dependent regulator of epidermal cell patterning. Cell. 1999;99:473-83 pubmed..These results suggest a simple model to explain the specification of the two root epidermal cell types, and they provide insight into the molecular mechanisms used to control cell patterning. ..