Genomes and Genes
proto oncogene proteins c ets
Summary: A family of transcription factors that share a unique DNA-binding domain. The name derives from viral oncogene-derived protein oncogene protein v-ets of the AVIAN ERYTHROBLASTOSIS VIRUS.
- Sood A. PDEF and PDEF-induced proteins as candidate tumor antigens for T cell and antibody-mediated immunotherapy of breast cancer. Immunol Res. 2010;46:206-15 pubmed publisher..Together, these observations support PDEF as a novel candidate breast tumor antigen. Further, we have identified certain PDEF-induced proteins including CEACAM6, B7-H4, and S100A7 as additional candidate breast tumor antigens. ..
- Cao X, Littlejohn J, Rodarte C, Zhang L, Martino B, Rascoe P, et al. Up-regulation of Bcl-xl by hepatocyte growth factor in human mesothelioma cells involves ETS transcription factors. Am J Pathol. 2009;175:2207-16 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings support a role for c-Met as an inhibitor of apoptosis and an activator of Bcl-xl. ..
- Zhang M, Magit D, Sager R. Expression of maspin in prostate cells is regulated by a positive ets element and a negative hormonal responsive element site recognized by androgen receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:5673-8 pubmed
- Zhang J, Graham T, Vivekanand P, Cote L, Cetera M, Rebay I. Sterile alpha motif domain-mediated self-association plays an essential role in modulating the activity of the Drosophila ETS family transcriptional repressor Yan. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:1158-70 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose that the formation of higher-order Yan oligomers contributes to proper repression of target gene expression and RTK signaling output in developing tissues. ..
- Tabu K, Kimura T, Sasai K, Wang L, Bizen N, Nishihara H, et al. Analysis of an alternative human CD133 promoter reveals the implication of Ras/ERK pathway in tumor stem-like hallmarks. Mol Cancer. 2010;9:39 pubmed publisher..These findings could help our comprehensive understanding of tumor stemness, and also improve the development of eradicative therapies against human malignancies. ..
- Salanga M, Meadows S, Myers C, Krieg P. ETS family protein ETV2 is required for initiation of the endothelial lineage but not the hematopoietic lineage in the Xenopus embryo. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:1178-87 pubmed publisher..Our studies confirm an essential role for ETV2 in endothelial development, but also reveal important differences in hematopoietic development between organisms...
- Minard Colin V, Orbach D, Martelli H, Bodemer C, Oberlin O. [Soft tissue tumors in neonates]. Arch Pediatr. 2009;16:1039-48 pubmed publisher..Treatment is based on age-adapted chemotherapy and surgery. Prognosis of RMS in children less than 1 year old appears to be comparable with that of older children. ..
- Sood A, Wang J, Mhawech Fauceglia P, Jana B, Liang P, Geradts J. Sam-pointed domain containing Ets transcription factor in luminal breast cancer pathogenesis. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2009;18:1899-903 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, we hypothesize that SPDEF has a function in the specification of the progenitor cells of the luminal epithelial lineage that become targets of oncogenesis in luminal breast cancer. ..
- Kunderfranco P, Mello Grand M, Cangemi R, Pellini S, Mensah A, Albertini V, et al. ETS transcription factors control transcription of EZH2 and epigenetic silencing of the tumor suppressor gene Nkx3.1 in prostate cancer. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10547 pubmed publisher..The link between aberrant ETS activity and epigenetic gene silencing may be relevant for the clinical management of prostate cancer and design of new therapeutic strategies. ..
- Jedlicka P. Ewing Sarcoma, an enigmatic malignancy of likely progenitor cell origin, driven by transcription factor oncogenic fusions. Int J Clin Exp Pathol. 2010;3:338-47 pubmed
- Lucas M, Crider K, Powell D, Kapoor Vazirani P, Vertino P. Methylation-sensitive regulation of TMS1/ASC by the Ets factor, GA-binding protein-alpha. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:14698-709 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that the intronic HS2 element acts in cis to maintain transcriptional competency at the TMS1 locus and that this activity is mediated by the ets transcription factor, GABPalpha. ..
- De Val S, Chi N, Meadows S, Minovitsky S, Anderson J, Harris I, et al. Combinatorial regulation of endothelial gene expression by ets and forkhead transcription factors. Cell. 2008;135:1053-64 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that FOX:ETS motifs are present in many known endothelial-specific enhancers and that this motif is an efficient predictor of endothelial enhancers in the human genome. ..
- Hurov K, Cotta Ramusino C, Elledge S. A genetic screen identifies the Triple T complex required for DNA damage signaling and ATM and ATR stability. Genes Dev. 2010;24:1939-50 pubmed publisher..The components of the TTT complex are mutually dependent on each other, and act as critical regulators of PIKK abundance and checkpoint signaling. ..
- Heo S, Choi Y, Ryoo H, Cho J. Expression profiling of ETS and MMP factors in VEGF-activated endothelial cells: role of MMP-10 in VEGF-induced angiogenesis. J Cell Physiol. 2010;224:734-42 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our study demonstrated induction of MMP-10 by VEGF in HUVEC and supports an angiogenic role for MMP-10 in response to VEGF stimulation in vitro and in vivo. ..
- Konn Z, Martineau M, Bown N, Richards S, Swansbury J, Talley P, et al. Cytogenetics of long-term survivors of ETV6-RUNX1 fusion positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2010;49:253-9 pubmed publisher..It appears that the two groups have some distinguishing cytogenetic features at the time of diagnosis, which may provide pointers to relapse that are worthy of more detailed study. ..
- Costello P, Nicolas R, Willoughby J, Wasylyk B, Nordheim A, Treisman R. Ternary complex factors SAP-1 and Elk-1, but not net, are functionally equivalent in thymocyte development. J Immunol. 2010;185:1082-92 pubmed publisher..Ectopic expression of Egr-1 restored positive selection in SAP-1 null thymocytes, establishing it (and possibly other Egr family members) as the major effector for ERK-SAP-1 signaling in thymocyte positive selection. ..
- Horst D, Gu X, Bhasin M, Yang Q, Verzi M, Lin D, et al. Requirement of the epithelium-specific Ets transcription factor Spdef for mucous gland cell function in the gastric antrum. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:35047-55 pubmed publisher..These requirements parallel Spdef functions in secretory intestinal cells and suggest a common molecular mechanism for maturation of gastrointestinal secretory lineages. ..
- Dwivedi P, Omdahl J, Kola I, Hume D, May B. Regulation of rat cytochrome P450C24 (CYP24) gene expression. Evidence for functional cooperation of Ras-activated Ets transcription factors with the vitamin D receptor in 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3)-mediated induction. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:47-55 pubmed..A fundamental role was established for transcriptional cooperation between Ras-activated Ets proteins and the VDR.RXR complex in mediating 1, 25-(OH)(2)D(3) action on the CYP24 promoter. ..
- Tjensvoll K, Gilje B, Oltedal S, Shammas V, Kvaløy J, Heikkilä R, et al. A small subgroup of operable breast cancer patients with poor prognosis identified by quantitative real-time RT-PCR detection of mammaglobin A and trefoil factor 1 mRNA expression in bone marrow. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2009;116:329-38 pubmed publisher..304). TFF-1 status was related to hMAM status (P < 0.001). Breast cancer patients with pre-operative elevated BM levels of hMAM and/or TFF-1 mRNA seem to constitute a small group of patients with a very poor prognosis. ..
- Zhang Z, Verheyden J, Hassell J, Sun X. FGF-regulated Etv genes are essential for repressing Shh expression in mouse limb buds. Dev Cell. 2009;16:607-13 pubmed publisher..This finding elucidates a novel aspect of the mechanism coordinating limb development along the A-P and P-D axes...
- Tomlins S, Bjartell A, Chinnaiyan A, Jenster G, Nam R, Rubin M, et al. ETS gene fusions in prostate cancer: from discovery to daily clinical practice. Eur Urol. 2009;56:275-86 pubmed publisher..Multiple promising strategies have been identified to potentially target ETS fusions. Together, these results suggest that ETS fusions will affect multiple aspects of prostate cancer diagnosis and management. ..
- Ciau Uitz A, Pinheiro P, Gupta R, Enver T, Patient R. Tel1/ETV6 specifies blood stem cells through the agency of VEGF signaling. Dev Cell. 2010;18:569-78 pubmed publisher..Few such links between intrinsic and extrinsic programming of stem cells have been reported previously. Our data place Tel1/ETV6 at the apex of the genetic regulatory cascade leading to HSC production. ..
- Wei G, Badis G, Berger M, Kivioja T, Palin K, Enge M, et al. Genome-wide analysis of ETS-family DNA-binding in vitro and in vivo. EMBO J. 2010;29:2147-60 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that even relatively small differences in in vitro binding specificity of a TF contribute to site selectivity in vivo. ..
- Mao J, McGlinn E, Huang P, Tabin C, McMahon A. Fgf-dependent Etv4/5 activity is required for posterior restriction of Sonic Hedgehog and promoting outgrowth of the vertebrate limb. Dev Cell. 2009;16:600-6 pubmed publisher..This study identifies another level of genetic interaction between the orthogonal axes during limb development...
- Gregorieff A, Stange D, Kujala P, Begthel H, van den Born M, Korving J, et al. The ets-domain transcription factor Spdef promotes maturation of goblet and paneth cells in the intestinal epithelium. Gastroenterology. 2009;137:1333-45.e1-3 pubmed publisher..In this study, we investigated the role of the Wnt-responsive, Ets-domain transcription factor Spdef in the differentiation of goblet and Paneth cells...
- Schaefer J, Sabherwal Y, Shi H, Sriraman V, Richards J, Minella A, et al. Transcriptional regulation of p21/CIP1 cell cycle inhibitor by PDEF controls cell proliferation and mammary tumor progression. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:11258-69 pubmed publisher..This study conclusively proves that PDEF is a breast tumor suppressor for the first time using both in vitro and in vivo systems. PDEF can be further developed as a target for designing therapeutic intervention of breast cancer. ..
- Armata I, Ananthanarayanan M, Balasubramaniyan N, Shashidharan P. Regulation of DYT1 gene expression by the Ets family of transcription factors. J Neurochem. 2008;106:1052-65 pubmed publisher..Ets-like dominant negatives confirmed the Ets factors as DYT1 transcriptional activators. ..
- Metzger D, Stahlman M, Shannon J. Misexpression of ELF5 disrupts lung branching and inhibits epithelial differentiation. Dev Biol. 2008;320:149-60 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that precise levels of ELF5 regulate the specification and differentiation of epithelial cells in the lung. ..
- Znosko W, Yu S, Thomas K, Molina G, Li C, Tsang W, et al. Overlapping functions of Pea3 ETS transcription factors in FGF signaling during zebrafish development. Dev Biol. 2010;342:11-25 pubmed publisher..We further demonstrated the interaction of Pea3 ETS factors with the Dusp6 promoter both in vitro and in vivo. These results revealed the requirement of ETS factors in transducing FGF signals in developmental processes. ..
- Johnson T, Koul S, Kumar B, Khandrika L, Venezia S, Maroni P, et al. Loss of PDEF, a prostate-derived Ets factor is associated with aggressive phenotype of prostate cancer: regulation of MMP 9 by PDEF. Mol Cancer. 2010;9:148 pubmed publisher..Based on these exciting results, we propose that loss of PDEF along with increased MMP9 expression should serve as novel markers for early detection of aggressive prostate cancer. ..
- Green S, Coyne H, McIntosh L, Graves B. DNA binding by the ETS protein TEL (ETV6) is regulated by autoinhibition and self-association. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:18496-504 pubmed publisher..We speculate that TEL compensates for the low affinity, which is caused by autoinhibition, by binding to DNA as a cooperative polymer. ..
- Clark J, Cooper C. ETS gene fusions in prostate cancer. Nat Rev Urol. 2009;6:429-39 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest new therapeutic possibilities for patients harboring ETS gene fusions. ..
- Mukhopadhyay A, Jarrett J, Chlon T, Kessler J. HeyL regulates the number of TrkC neurons in dorsal root ganglia. Dev Biol. 2009;334:142-51 pubmed publisher..Double null mutation of both Hey1 and HeyL rescued TrkC(+) neuron numbers to control levels. Thus, the balance between HeyL and Hey1 expression regulates the differentiation of a subpopulation of TrkC(+) neurons in the DRG. ..
- Huang W, Zhou W, Saberwal G, Konieczna I, Horvath E, Katsoulidis E, et al. Interferon consensus sequence binding protein (ICSBP) decreases beta-catenin activity in myeloid cells by repressing GAS2 transcription. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:4575-94 pubmed publisher..Therefore, these studies have identified a Gas2/calpain-dependent mechanism by which ICSBP influences beta-catenin activity in myeloid leukemia. ..
- Fernández Alvarez A, Soledad Alvarez M, Cucarella C, Casado M. Characterization of the human insulin-induced gene 2 (INSIG2) promoter: the role of Ets-binding motifs. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:11765-74 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results map the functional elements in the human INSIG2 promoter sequence and suggest an unexpected regulation of INSIG2 gene expression in human liver. ..
- Tang G, Woods L, Wang S, Brettler D, Andersen M, Miron P, et al. Chronic basophilic leukemia: a rare form of chronic myeloproliferative neoplasm. Hum Pathol. 2009;40:1194-9 pubmed publisher..Conventional karyotyping revealed a t(5;12)(q31;p13). ETV6 but not PDGFRB rearrangement was detected by fluorescence in situ hybridization. ..
- Kaizuka T, Hara T, Oshiro N, Kikkawa U, Yonezawa K, Takehana K, et al. Tti1 and Tel2 are critical factors in mammalian target of rapamycin complex assembly. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:20109-16 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Tti1 and Tel2 are important not only for mTOR stability but also for assembly of the mTOR complexes to maintain their activities. ..
- Lu B, Cebrian C, Chi X, Kuure S, Kuo R, Bates C, et al. Etv4 and Etv5 are required downstream of GDNF and Ret for kidney branching morphogenesis. Nat Genet. 2009;41:1295-302 pubmed publisher..Thus, Etv4 and Etv5 are key components of a gene network downstream of Ret that promotes and controls renal branching morphogenesis. ..
- Nischan J, Gatalica Z, Curtis M, Lenk G, Tromp G, Kuivaniemi H. Binding sites for ETS family of transcription factors dominate the promoter regions of differentially expressed genes in abdominal aortic aneurysms. Circ Cardiovasc Genet. 2009;2:565-72 pubmed publisher..Additionally, our results provide novel insight for future studies aiming to dissect the pathogenesis of AAA and have uncovered potential therapeutic targets for AAA prevention. ..
- Chi H, Vu H, Iwasaki R, Nagamura F, Tojo A, Watanabe T, et al. Detection of exon 12 type A mutation of NPM1 gene in IMS-M2 cell line. Leuk Res. 2010;34:261-2 pubmed publisher..It will provide a good in vitro model for bio-molecular studies of interaction of mutated NPM1 gene and other genetic abnormalities as well as a useful tool for developing new molecularly targeted drugs. ..
- Curtale G, Citarella F, Carissimi C, Goldoni M, Carucci N, Fulci V, et al. An emerging player in the adaptive immune response: microRNA-146a is a modulator of IL-2 expression and activation-induced cell death in T lymphocytes. Blood. 2010;115:265-73 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, miR-146a enforced expression impairs both activator protein 1 (AP-1) activity and interleukin-2 (IL-2) production induced by TCR engagement, thus suggesting a role of this miRNA in the modulation of adaptive immunity. ..
- Jedlicka P, Sui X, Gutierrez Hartmann A. The Ets dominant repressor En/Erm enhances intestinal epithelial tumorigenesis in ApcMin mice. BMC Cancer. 2009;9:197 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide in vivo evidence for a tumor-restricting function of endogenous Ets factors in the intestinal epithelium. ..
- Han B, Suleman K, Wang L, Siddiqui J, Sercia L, Magi Galluzzi C, et al. ETS gene aberrations in atypical cribriform lesions of the prostate: Implications for the distinction between intraductal carcinoma of the prostate and cribriform high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia. Am J Surg Pathol. 2010;34:478-85 pubmed publisher..However, there are lesions that do not fully satisfy the criteria for IDC-P yet are worse than typical HGPIN and are difficult to distinguish based on morphologic criteria alone...
- Charlot C, Dubois Pot H, Serchov T, Tourrette Y, Wasylyk B. A review of post-translational modifications and subcellular localization of Ets transcription factors: possible connection with cancer and involvement in the hypoxic response. Methods Mol Biol. 2010;647:3-30 pubmed publisher..Our snap-shots of particularly active fields point to the directions in which new techniques will be needed, in our search for a more complete description of regulatory pathways. ..
- Andersson A, Edén P, Olofsson T, Fioretos T. Gene expression signatures in childhood acute leukemias are largely unique and distinct from those of normal tissues and other malignancies. BMC Med Genomics. 2010;3:6 pubmed publisher..In addition to providing important pathogenetic insights, these findings should facilitate the identification of candidate genes or transcriptional programs that can be used as unique targets in leukemia. ..
- Krstic A, Impera L, Guc Scekic M, Lakic N, Djokic D, Slavkovic B, et al. A complex rearrangement involving cryptic deletion of ETV6 and CDKN1B genes in a case of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2009;195:125-31 pubmed publisher..Thus, the present study documents the loss of both ETV6 and CDKN1B genes accompanying the occurrence of a complex rearrangement involving chromosomes 3 and 12 in a case of childhood ALL. ..