Genomes and Genes
octamer transcription factor 3
Summary: An octamer transcription factor that is expressed primarily in totipotent embryonic STEM CELLS and GERM CELLS and is down-regulated during CELL DIFFERENTIATION.
- Saxe J, Tomilin A, Scholer H, Plath K, Huang J. Post-translational regulation of Oct4 transcriptional activity. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4467 pubmed publisher..These results provide a mechanism for rapid and reversible alteration of Oct4 transactivation potential in response to extracellular signals. ..
- Page R, Ambady S, Holmes W, Vilner L, Kole D, Kashpur O, et al. Induction of stem cell gene expression in adult human fibroblasts without transgenes. Cloning Stem Cells. 2009;11:417-26 pubmed publisher..This would alleviate the need for forced expression by transgenesis, thus eliminating the risk of mutagenic effects due to genetic manipulation. ..
- Yu H, Kunarso G, Hong F, Stanton L. Zfp206, Oct4, and Sox2 are integrated components of a transcriptional regulatory network in embryonic stem cells. J Biol Chem. 2009;284:31327-35 pubmed publisher..These data demonstrate that Zfp206 is a key component of the core transcriptional regulatory network and together with Oct4 and Sox2 regulates differentiation of ESC. ..
- Hannan N, Jamshidi P, Pera M, Wolvetang E. BMP-11 and myostatin support undifferentiated growth of human embryonic stem cells in feeder-free cultures. Cloning Stem Cells. 2009;11:427-35 pubmed publisher..Our data show that members of the TGF-beta superfamily, other than Activin-A and GDF3, are able to maintain hES cells in an undifferentiated state under feeder free conditions. ..
- Boyer L, Lee T, Cole M, Johnstone S, Levine S, Zucker J, et al. Core transcriptional regulatory circuitry in human embryonic stem cells. Cell. 2005;122:947-56 pubmed..These results provide new insights into the transcriptional regulation of stem cells and reveal how OCT4, SOX2, and NANOG contribute to pluripotency and self-renewal. ..
- Papapetrou E, Tomishima M, Chambers S, Mica Y, Reed E, Menon J, et al. Stoichiometric and temporal requirements of Oct4, Sox2, Klf4, and c-Myc expression for efficient human iPSC induction and differentiation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:12759-64 pubmed publisher..The vector system described here presents a powerful tool for mechanistic studies of reprogramming and the optimization of hiPSC generation. ..
- Chambers I, Tomlinson S. The transcriptional foundation of pluripotency. Development. 2009;136:2311-22 pubmed publisher..Here we discuss how these observations advance our understanding of the transcription factor network that controls pluripotent identity and highlight unresolved issues that arise from these studies. ..
- Kim J, Greber B, Arauzo Bravo M, Meyer J, Park K, Zaehres H, et al. Direct reprogramming of human neural stem cells by OCT4. Nature. 2009;461:649-3 pubmed publisher..One-factor iPS cell generation will advance the field further towards understanding reprogramming and generating patient-specific pluripotent stem cells. ..
- Sun C, Nakatake Y, Akagi T, Ura H, Matsuda T, Nishiyama A, et al. Dax1 binds to Oct3/4 and inhibits its transcriptional activity in embryonic stem cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:4574-83 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, overexpression of Dax1 resulted in ES cell differentiation. Taken together, these data suggest that Dax1, a novel molecule interacting with Oct3/4, functions as a negative regulator of Oct3/4 in ES cells. ..
- Seo K, Lee S, Bhandari D, Roh K, Park S, So A, et al. OCT4A contributes to the stemness and multi-potency of human umbilical cord blood-derived multipotent stem cells (hUCB-MSCs). Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;384:120-5 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, these finding suggest that OCT4A performs functionally conserved roles in hUCB-MSCs, making its expression biologically important for ex vivo culture of hUCB-MSCs. ..
- Maki N, Suetsugu Maki R, Tarui H, Agata K, Del Rio Tsonis K, Tsonis P. Expression of stem cell pluripotency factors during regeneration in newts. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:1613-6 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, these factors should enable us to understand the similarities and differences between animal regeneration in the newt and stem cell strategies in mammals. Developmental Dynamics 238:1613-1616, 2009. (c) 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc...
- Ding L, Paszkowski Rogacz M, Nitzsche A, Slabicki M, Heninger A, de Vries I, et al. A genome-scale RNAi screen for Oct4 modulators defines a role of the Paf1 complex for embryonic stem cell identity. Cell Stem Cell. 2009;4:403-15 pubmed publisher..We propose that the Paf1C plays an important role in maintaining ESC identity. ..
- Kim S, Lee J, Kim J, Lim B, Shin E, Han Y, et al. Mutation in the DNA-binding domain of the EWS-Oct-4 oncogene results in dominant negative activity that interferes with EWS-Oct-4-mediated transactivation. Int J Cancer. 2009;124:2312-22 pubmed publisher..Thus, this mutation in the POU DNA-binding domain results in a dominant negative protein. These findings suggest that the biological functions of the EWS-Oct-4 oncogene can be modulated by the dominant negative mutant EWS-Oct-4 (V351P). ..
- Darr H, Benvenisty N. Genetic analysis of the role of the reprogramming gene LIN-28 in human embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells. 2009;27:352-62 pubmed publisher..Thus, LIN-28 does not seem to be involved in the self-renewal of HESCs, but rather seems to be involved in their decision to switch from self-renewal to differentiation. ..
- Han J, Yuan P, Yang H, Zhang J, Soh B, Li P, et al. Tbx3 improves the germ-line competency of induced pluripotent stem cells. Nature. 2010;463:1096-100 pubmed publisher..This study underscores the intrinsic qualitative differences between iPS cells generated by different methods, and highlights the need to rigorously characterize iPS cells beyond in vitro studies...
- Zuccotti M, Merico V, Redi C, Bellazzi R, Adjaye J, Garagna S. Role of Oct-4 during acquisition of developmental competence in mouse oocyte. Reprod Biomed Online. 2009;19 Suppl 3:57-62 pubmed
- Hall J, Guo G, Wray J, Eyres I, Nichols J, Grotewold L, et al. Oct4 and LIF/Stat3 additively induce Krüppel factors to sustain embryonic stem cell self-renewal. Cell Stem Cell. 2009;5:597-609 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that Oct4 and Stat3 intersect in directing expression of Klf transcriptional regulators with overlapping properties that additively reinforce ground-state ESC pluripotency, identity, and self-renewal...
- Carette J, Pruszak J, Varadarajan M, Blomen V, Gokhale S, Camargo F, et al. Generation of iPSCs from cultured human malignant cells. Blood. 2010;115:4039-42 pubmed publisher..This finding indicates that the therapeutic agent imatinib targets cells in a specific epigenetic differentiated cell state, and this may contribute to its inability to fully eradicate disease in chronic myeloid leukemia patients. ..
- Kim J, Jee M, Lee S, Han T, Kim B, Kang K, et al. Regulation of adipose tissue stromal cells behaviors by endogenic Oct4 expression control. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7166 pubmed publisher..Engrafted Oct4/ATSCs efficiently migrated and transdifferentiated into action potential carrying, functionally neurons in the hippocampus and promoting the amelioration of lesion cavities. ..
- Chia N, Chan Y, Feng B, Lu X, Orlov Y, Moreau D, et al. A genome-wide RNAi screen reveals determinants of human embryonic stem cell identity. Nature. 2010;468:316-20 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our study uncovers a wealth of novel hESC regulators wherein PRDM14 exemplifies a key transcription factor required for the maintenance of hESC identity and the reacquisition of pluripotency in human somatic cells. ..
- Xing X, Magnani L, Lee K, Wang C, Cabot R, Machaty Z. Gene expression and development of early pig embryos produced by serial nuclear transfer. Mol Reprod Dev. 2009;76:555-63 pubmed publisher..Overall, both developmental and gene expression data indicated that reprogramming of the donor nucleus could not be improved by serial nuclear transfer in the pig. ..
- Chenoweth J, McKay R, Tesar P. Epiblast stem cells contribute new insight into pluripotency and gastrulation. Dev Growth Differ. 2010;52:293-301 pubmed publisher..Here we discuss the nature of EpiSCs and their significance in understanding gastrulation and cell specification in relationship to other pluripotent cell culture models. ..
- Oestrup E, Gjoerret J, Schauser K, Schmidt M, Hall V, Hyttel P. Characterisation of bovine epiblast-derived outgrowth colonies. Reprod Fertil Dev. 2010;22:625-33 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, OCs derived from bovine Day 12 epiblasts display a central core of OCT4-stained cells of a potential epiblast origin surrounded by a basal plate of mainly AFP-stained cells of a potential hypoblast nature. ..
- Kao C, Tai L, Chiou S, Chen Y, Lee K, Chou S, et al. Resveratrol promotes osteogenic differentiation and protects against dexamethasone damage in murine induced pluripotent stem cells. Stem Cells Dev. 2010;19:247-58 pubmed publisher..These findings implicate roles of resveratrol and iPS cells in the stem cell therapy of orthopedic diseases. ..
- Liu Y, Thyagarajan B, Lakshmipathy U, Xue H, Lieu P, Fontes A, et al. Generation of platform human embryonic stem cell lines that allow efficient targeting at a predetermined genomic location. Stem Cells Dev. 2009;18:1459-72 pubmed publisher..The system described here represents a method to rapidly assemble complex plasmid-based assay systems, controllably insert them into the hESC genome, and have them actively express in undifferentiated as well as in differentiated cells. ..
- Fujii H, Honoki K, Tsujiuchi T, Kido A, Yoshitani K, Takakura Y. Sphere-forming stem-like cell populations with drug resistance in human sarcoma cell lines. Int J Oncol. 2009;34:1381-6 pubmed..These results indicate that human sarcoma cell lines contain stem-like cell populations with strong drug resistance, and DNA repair inhibitor could enhance the efficacy of chemo-drugs against sarcomas. ..
- Harvey A, Armant D, Bavister B, Nichols S, Brenner C. Inner cell mass localization of NANOG precedes OCT3/4 in rhesus monkey blastocysts. Stem Cells Dev. 2009;18:1451-8 pubmed publisher..This difference may also underlie observations that regulatory mechanisms in ESC differ between mice and primates...
- Tsai Y, Chang Y, Chou C, Cheong M, Tsai M. Expression of a Hoechst 33342 efflux phenomenon and common characteristics of pluripotent stem cells in a side population of amniotic fluid cells. Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol. 2010;49:139-44 pubmed publisher..Enriched SP cells isolated by the efflux of Hoechst 33342 could be a novel and promising source of pluripotent-like amniotic derived stem cells for cellular therapy in the near future. ..
- Li Y, Zhao H, Lan F, Lee A, Chen L, Lin C, et al. Generation of human-induced pluripotent stem cells from gut mesentery-derived cells by ectopic expression of OCT4/SOX2/NANOG. Cell Reprogram. 2010;12:237-47 pubmed publisher..Our results provide proof that hGMDCs can be reprogrammed into pluripotent cells by ectopic expression of three factors (OCT4, SOX2, and NANOG) without the use of oncogenes c-MYC and KLF4...
- van den Berg D, Snoek T, Mullin N, Yates A, Bezstarosti K, Demmers J, et al. An Oct4-centered protein interaction network in embryonic stem cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2010;6:369-81 pubmed publisher..Acute depletion of Oct4 reduced binding of Tcfcp2l1, Dax1, and Esrrb to several target genes. In conclusion, our purification protocol allowed us to bring greater definition to the circuitry controlling pluripotent cell identity. ..
- Dixon J, Allegrucci C, Redwood C, Kump K, Bian Y, Chatfield J, et al. Axolotl Nanog activity in mouse embryonic stem cells demonstrates that ground state pluripotency is conserved from urodele amphibians to mammals. Development. 2010;137:2973-80 pubmed publisher..Our results show that protein interactions mediated by Nanog dimerization promote proliferation. More importantly, they demonstrate that the mechanisms governing pluripotency are conserved from urodele amphibians to mammals...
- Riggi N, Suva M, De Vito C, Provero P, Stehle J, Baumer K, et al. EWS-FLI-1 modulates miRNA145 and SOX2 expression to initiate mesenchymal stem cell reprogramming toward Ewing sarcoma cancer stem cells. Genes Dev. 2010;24:916-32 pubmed publisher..Our observations provide insight for the first time into the mechanisms whereby a single oncogene can reprogram primary cells to display a CSC phenotype. ..
- Cao Y, Oswald F, Wacker S, Bundschu K, Kn chel W. Reversal of Xenopus Oct25 function by disruption of the POU domain structure. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:8408-21 pubmed publisher..Therefore, our results reveal that the integrity of the POU domain is crucial for the function of POU-V transcription factors in the regulation of genes that promote germ layer formation...
- Xu Y, Guan N, Wang Z, Shan Z, Shen J, Zhang Q, et al. ES cell extract-induced expression of pluripotent factors in somatic cells. Anat Rec (Hoboken). 2009;292:1229-34 pubmed publisher..Differentiated somatic cells could be reprogrammed in ES extract in vitro, which provides a new approach to decreasing differentiation levels in somatic cells without disturbing the DNA sequences. ..
- Miller J, Lee T, Epstein J, Ulbright T. The utility of microscopic findings and immunohistochemistry in the classification of necrotic testicular tumors: a study of 11 cases. Am J Surg Pathol. 2009;33:1293-8 pubmed publisher..Most totally necrotic testicular tumors can be placed into clinically important groups by assessment for coarse intratubular calcifications and staining reactions for keratin, OCT4, CD117, and CD30...
- Hirami Y, Osakada F, Takahashi K, Okita K, Yamanaka S, Ikeda H, et al. Generation of retinal cells from mouse and human induced pluripotent stem cells. Neurosci Lett. 2009;458:126-31 pubmed publisher..We propose that iPSCs can be induced to differentiate into retinal cells which have a possibility to be used as patient-specific donor cells for transplantation therapies. ..
- Liu T, Wu Y, Guo X, Hui J, Lee E, Lim B. Effects of ectopic Nanog and Oct4 overexpression on mesenchymal stem cells. Stem Cells Dev. 2009;18:1013-22 pubmed publisher..These results provide insight into the improvement of the stemness of MSCs by genetic modification with stemness-related genes. ..
- Lin L, Xu W, Dai Y, Li N. DNA methylation changes in cell line from beta-lactoglobulin gene targeted fetus. Anim Reprod Sci. 2009;112:402-8 pubmed publisher..DNA methylation of VEGF in blg(+/-) was noticeably decreased. These observations suggest that DNA methylation variations may impact gene expression and finally induce abnormalities and lethality in later developmental stages. ..
- Zhang X, Komaki R, Wang L, Fang B, Chang J. Treatment of radioresistant stem-like esophageal cancer cells by an apoptotic gene-armed, telomerase-specific oncolytic adenovirus. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14:2813-23 pubmed publisher..05) with no significant toxicity. Radioresistant cells established by fractionated irradiation display CSC-like cell properties. Ad/TRAIL-E1 preferentially targets radioresistant CSC-like cells. ..
- Sanna D, Sanna A, Mara L, Pilichi S, Mastinu A, Chessa F, et al. Oct4 expression in in-vitro-produced sheep blastocysts and embryonic-stem-like cells. Cell Biol Int. 2009;34:53-60 pubmed publisher..In addition, the different levels of Oct4 expression between undifferentiated and differentiating embryonic-stem-like cell cultures could be used to detect this gene as a staminality marker. ..
- Ng V, Ang S, Chan J, Choo A. Characterization of epithelial cell adhesion molecule as a surface marker on undifferentiated human embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells. 2010;28:29-35 pubmed publisher..Together these data demonstrate that EpCAM is a surface marker on undifferentiated hESCs and plays functional roles in proliferation and differentiation. ..
- Ajjappala B, Kim M, Kim E, Kim J, Kang I, Baek K. Protein chip analysis of pluripotency-associated proteins in NIH3T3 fibroblast. Proteomics. 2009;9:3968-78 pubmed publisher..Our results signify that the combinatorial signaling protein-array using biomolecular approach may possibly provide us with a new tool to understand cellular homeostasis. ..
- Bosnali M, Münst B, Thier M, Edenhofer F. Deciphering the stem cell machinery as a basis for understanding the molecular mechanism underlying reprogramming. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2009;66:3403-20 pubmed publisher..Here, we review recent advances in the field of stem cell regulation focusing on key transcription factors and their functional interplay with non-coding RNAs. ..
- Zeuschner D, Mildner K, Zaehres H, Scholer H. Induced pluripotent stem cells at nanoscale. Stem Cells Dev. 2010;19:615-20 pubmed publisher..Both cell types are almost indistinguishable at the ultrastructural level, providing further evidence for the similarity of these 2 pluripotent stem cell populations. ..
- Mauney J, Ramachandran A, Yu R, Daley G, Adam R, Estrada C. All-trans retinoic acid directs urothelial specification of murine embryonic stem cells via GATA4/6 signaling mechanisms. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11513 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data suggest that RA mediates ESC specification toward a urothelial lineage via GATA4/6-dependent processes...
- Ho P, Yen M, Lin J, Chen L, Hu H, Yeh C, et al. Endogenous KLF4 expression in human fetal endothelial cells allows for reprogramming to pluripotency with just OCT3/4 and SOX2--brief report. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010;30:1905-7 pubmed publisher..The use of fetal cells for reprogramming without oncogenic factors may provide an efficient in vitro model for human iPSC research, as well as a novel source for possible therapeutic use. ..
- Lang K, Lin I, Teng H, Huang Y, Li C, Tang K, et al. Simultaneous overexpression of Oct4 and Nanog abrogates terminal myogenesis. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2009;297:C43-54 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that Oct4 in cooperation with Nanog strongly suppresses the myogenic differentiation program and promotes pluripotency in myoblasts. ..