Genomes and Genes
matrix attachment region binding proteins
Summary: Proteins that bind to the MATRIX ATTACHMENT REGIONS of DNA.
- Kohwi Shigematsu T, KOHWI Y, Takahashi K, Richards H, Ayers S, Han H, et al. SATB1-mediated functional packaging of chromatin into loops. Methods. 2012;58:243-54 pubmed publisher..In this article, in order to describe methods of analyzing protein-mediated chromatin interactions, we will use as an example a global genome-organizer protein, SATB1, which mediates chromatin looping. ..
- McInnes N, Sadlon T, Brown C, Pederson S, Beyer M, Schultze J, et al. FOXP3 and FOXP3-regulated microRNAs suppress SATB1 in breast cancer cells. Oncogene. 2012;31:1045-54 pubmed publisher..Approaches aimed at restoring FOXP3 function and the miRs it regulates could help provide new approaches to target breast cancer. ..
- Hammerich Hille S, Bardout V, Hilsenbeck S, Osborne C, Oesterreich S. Low SAFB levels are associated with worse outcome in breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010;121:503-9 pubmed publisher..This study shows that low SAFB protein levels predict poor prognosis of breast cancer patients, suggesting critical functions of SAFB1 and SAFB2 in breast cancer cells. ..
- Kumar P, Bischof O, Purbey P, Notani D, Urlaub H, Dejean A, et al. Functional interaction between PML and SATB1 regulates chromatin-loop architecture and transcription of the MHC class I locus. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:45-56 pubmed..Our studies identify PML and SATB1 as a regulatory complex that governs transcription by orchestrating dynamic chromatin-loop architecture. ..
- Lund R, Ahlfors H, Kainonen E, Lahesmaa A, Dixon C, Lahesmaa R. Identification of genes involved in the initiation of human Th1 or Th2 cell commitment. Eur J Immunol. 2005;35:3307-19 pubmed..In this study, a panel of novel factors that may be important regulators of the differentiation process was identified. ..
- Banerjee S, Lohia A. Molecular analysis of repetitive DNA elements from Entamoeba histolytica, which encode small RNAs and contain matrix/scaffold attachment recognition sequences. Mol Biochem Parasitol. 2003;126:35-42 pubmed..Thus, two unique sequences-Eh MRS1 and Eh MRS2-demonstrate very similar properties, suggesting that they belong to a superfamily of genomic elements, which may function as scaffold or matrix attachment sites in Entamoeba...
- Nie H, Maika S, Tucker P, Gottlieb P. A role for SATB1, a nuclear matrix association region-binding protein, in the development of CD8SP thymocytes and peripheral T lymphocytes. J Immunol. 2005;174:4745-52 pubmed..Thus, the present results point to an essential role for SATB1 late in the development and maturation of CD8SP T cells. ..
- Gotzmann J, Meissner M, Gerner C. The fate of the nuclear matrix-associated-region-binding protein SATB1 during apoptosis. Cell Death Differ. 2000;7:425-38 pubmed..Our results suggest that apoptosis-specific breakdown of SATB1, a transcriptional activator of the CD8a gene, might be of physiological relevance during thymic clonal deletion and apoptosis of peripheral T-lymphoid cells. ..
- Wen J, Huang S, Rogers H, Dickinson L, Kohwi Shigematsu T, Noguchi C. SATB1 family protein expressed during early erythroid differentiation modifies globin gene expression. Blood. 2005;105:3330-9 pubmed
- Kumar P, Mehta S, Purbey P, Notani D, Jayani R, Purohit H, et al. SATB1-binding sequences and Alu-like motifs define a unique chromatin context in the vicinity of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 integration sites. J Virol. 2007;81:5617-27 pubmed..We propose that definitive sequence features such as the Alu-like motifs and SATB1-binding sites provide a unique chromatin context in vivo which is preferentially targeted by the HIV-1 integration machinery. ..
- Asanoma K, Kubota K, Chakraborty D, Renaud S, Wake N, Fukushima K, et al. SATB homeobox proteins regulate trophoblast stem cell renewal and differentiation. J Biol Chem. 2012;287:2257-68 pubmed publisher..We conclude that SATB proteins promote TS cell renewal and inhibit differentiation. These actions are mediated in part by regulating the expression of the TS cell stem-associated transcription factor, EOMES. ..
- Apostolova G, Loy B, Dorn R, Dechant G. The sympathetic neurotransmitter switch depends on the nuclear matrix protein Satb2. J Neurosci. 2010;30:16356-64 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate a function of the MAR-binding protein Satb2 in growth factor-dependent neurotransmitter plasticity in postmitotic neurons. ..
- Tan J, Sun Y, Song J, Chen Y, Krontiris T, Durrin L. SUMO conjugation to the matrix attachment region-binding protein, special AT-rich sequence-binding protein-1 (SATB1), targets SATB1 to promyelocytic nuclear bodies where it undergoes caspase cleavage. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:18124-34 pubmed publisher..The role of regulated proteolysis of SATB1 may be to control transcription in immune cells during normal cell functions or to assist in efficient and rapid clearance of nonfunctional or potentially damaging immune cells. ..
- Li Q, Chen Z, Cao X, Xu J, Xu J, Chen Y, et al. Involvement of NF-?B/miR-448 regulatory feedback loop in chemotherapy-induced epithelial-mesenchymal transition of breast cancer cells. Cell Death Differ. 2011;18:16-25 pubmed publisher..Disruption of the NF-?B-miR-448 feedback loop during clinical treatment may improve the chemotherapy response of human breast cancers in which EMT is a critical component. ..
- Liu J, Barnett A, Neufeld E, Dudley J. Homeoproteins CDP and SATB1 interact: potential for tissue-specific regulation. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:4918-26 pubmed..Because of the tissue and cell type distribution of SATB1 and CDP, we propose that the SATB1-to-CDP ratio in different tissues is a novel mechanism for homeoproteins to control gene expression and differentiation in mammals. ..
- Yamayoshi A, Yasuhara M, Galande S, Kobori A, Murakami A. Decoy-DNA against special AT-rich sequence binding protein 1 inhibits the growth and invasive ability of human breast cancer. Oligonucleotides. 2011;21:115-21 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that SATB1-decoy DNA may be an effective candidate for use as a molecular-targeting drug for treatment of TN breast cancer. ..
- Purbey P, Singh S, Kumar P, Mehta S, Ganesh K, Mitra D, et al. PDZ domain-mediated dimerization and homeodomain-directed specificity are required for high-affinity DNA binding by SATB1. Nucleic Acids Res. 2008;36:2107-22 pubmed publisher..These studies provide mechanistic insights into the mode of DNA binding and its effect on the regulation of transcription by SATB1. ..
- Burute M, Gottimukkala K, Galande S. Chromatin organizer SATB1 is an important determinant of T-cell differentiation. Immunol Cell Biol. 2012;90:852-9 pubmed publisher..We discuss how regulation of the activity of SATB1 has a critical role in driving these two important differentiation pathways in T cells. ..
- Nakayama Y, Mian I, Kohwi Shigematsu T, Ogawa T. A nuclear targeting determinant for SATB1, a genome organizer in the T cell lineage. Cell Cycle. 2005;4:1099-106 pubmed..Our results indicate that SATB1 N-terminal residues 20-40 represent a novel determinant of nuclear targeting. ..
- Agrelo R, Wutz A. ConteXt of change--X inactivation and disease. EMBO Mol Med. 2010;2:6-15 pubmed publisher..Understanding their reactivation will deepen our understanding of tumourigenesis and may be exploited for cancer therapy. ..
- Iorns E, Hnatyszyn H, Seo P, Clarke J, Ward T, Lippman M. The role of SATB1 in breast cancer pathogenesis. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010;102:1284-96 pubmed publisher..80, 95% confidence interval = 0.62 to 1.03, P = .10). In contrast to previous studies, we found that SATB1 expression did not promote breast cancer progression and was not associated with breast cancer outcome. ..
- Dickinson L, Joh T, Kohwi Y, Kohwi Shigematsu T. A tissue-specific MAR/SAR DNA-binding protein with unusual binding site recognition. Cell. 1992;70:631-45 pubmed..This suggests that SATB1 recognizes the ATC sequence indirectly through the altered sugar-phosphate backbone structure present in the double-stranded DNA. ..
- Nodin B, Johannesson H, Wangefjord S, O Connor D, Lindquist K, Uhlen M, et al. Molecular correlates and prognostic significance of SATB1 expression in colorectal cancer. Diagn Pathol. 2012;7:115 pubmed publisher..The mechanistic basis for these observations warrants further study. The virtual slide(s) for this article can be found here: http://www.diagnosticpathology.diagnomx.eu/vs/1922643082772076. ..
- Cheng C, Lu X, Wang G, Zheng L, Shu X, Zhu S, et al. Expression of SATB1 and heparanase in gastric cancer and its relationship to clinicopathologic features. APMIS. 2010;118:855-63 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that combined analysis of SATB1 and heparanase expression may have significant value in determining invasion and metastasis of gastric cancer and assessing prognosis in patients with gastric cancer. ..
- Zhang M, Poplawski M, Yen K, Cheng H, Bloss E, Zhu X, et al. Role of CBP and SATB-1 in aging, dietary restriction, and insulin-like signaling. PLoS Biol. 2009;7:e1000245 pubmed publisher..Other factors implicated in lifespan extension are also CBP-binding partners, suggesting that CBP constitutes a common factor in the modulation of lifespan and disease burden by DR and the insulin/IGF1 signaling pathway. ..
- Fujii Y, Kumatori A, Nakamura M. SATB1 makes a complex with p300 and represses gp91(phox) promoter activity. Microbiol Immunol. 2003;47:803-11 pubmed..Our findings imply a novel role for p300 in SATB1-associated global transcription regulation. ..
- Notani D, Limaye A, Kumar P, Galande S. Phosphorylation-dependent regulation of SATB1, the higher-order chromatin organizer and global gene regulator. Methods Mol Biol. 2010;647:317-35 pubmed publisher..Finally, we describe a functional assay to monitor the effect of phosphorylation on transcription activity of SATB1 in vivo using MAR-linked reporter assay, in the presence and absence of PKC inhibitors. ..
- Savarese F, Davila A, Nechanitzky R, De La Rosa Velazquez I, Pereira C, Engelke R, et al. Satb1 and Satb2 regulate embryonic stem cell differentiation and Nanog expression. Genes Dev. 2009;23:2625-38 pubmed publisher..Taken together with the finding that both Satb1 and Satb2 bind the Nanog locus in vivo, our data suggest that the balance of Satb1 and Satb2 contributes to the plasticity of Nanog expression and ES cell pluripotency. ..
- Britanova O, Alifragis P, Junek S, Jones K, Gruss P, Tarabykin V. A novel mode of tangential migration of cortical projection neurons. Dev Biol. 2006;298:299-311 pubmed..In vitro and in vivo analysis of reeler mutant brains demonstrated that although reeler mutation does not influence tangential migration of interneurons, it affects the tangential migration of cortical projection neurons. ..
- Lei L, Lu L, Xiang L, Xue Song W, De Pei L, Chih Chuan L. Epigenetic repression of SATB1 by polycomb group protein EZH2 in epithelial cells. Chin Med Sci J. 2010;25:199-205 pubmed..SATB1 is a bona fide EZH2 target gene in HeLa cells and the repression of SATB1 by EZH2 may be mediated by trimethylation modification on H3K27. ..
- Townson S, Kang K, Lee A, Oesterreich S. Structure-function analysis of the estrogen receptor alpha corepressor scaffold attachment factor-B1: identification of a potent transcriptional repression domain. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:26074-81 pubmed..We propose a model in which SAFB1 represses ERalpha activity via indirect association with histone deacetylation and interaction with the basal transcription machinery. ..
- Huang Y, Zhang L, Song N, Hu Z, Chen J, Ding Y. Distribution of Satb1 in the central nervous system of adult mice. Neurosci Res. 2011;71:12-21 pubmed publisher..Satb1 expression was never observed in glial cells. This study presents a comprehensive overview of Satb1 expression in the CNS, and provides insights for investigating the role of Satb1 in the mature CNS. ..
- Leoyklang P, Suphapeetiporn K, Siriwan P, Desudchit T, Chaowanapanja P, Gahl W, et al. Heterozygous nonsense mutation SATB2 associated with cleft palate, osteoporosis, and cognitive defects. Hum Mutat. 2007;28:732-8 pubmed..This new syndrome is the first determined to result from mutation of a gene within the family that encodes nuclear matrix-attachment region (MAR) proteins. ..
- Zhao X, Ji W, Zhang W, He L, Yang J, Liang H, et al. Overexpression of SATB1 in laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec. 2010;72:1-5 pubmed publisher..The current findings suggest that SATB1 may be a useful marker for the prognosis and assessment of therapeutic effects. ..
- Notani D, Ramanujam P, Kumar P, Gottimukkala K, Kumar Sinha C, Galande S. N-terminal PDZ-like domain of chromatin organizer SATB1 contributes towards its function as transcription regulator. J Biosci. 2011;36:461-9 pubmed..These studies clearly demonstrated the role of PDZ domain of SATB1 in global gene regulation presumably through its interaction with other cellular proteins. ..
- Bergman A, Abel F, Behboudi A, Yhr M, Mattsson J, Svensson J, et al. No germline mutations in supposed tumour suppressor genes SAFB1 and SAFB2 in familial breast cancer with linkage to 19p. BMC Med Genet. 2008;9:108 pubmed publisher..SAFB1 and SAFB2 are not likely to be causative of the hereditary breast cancer syndrome in west Swedish breast cancer families. ..
- Yamaguchi H, Tateno M, Yamasaki K. Solution structure and DNA-binding mode of the matrix attachment region-binding domain of the transcription factor SATB1 that regulates the T-cell maturation. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:5319-27 pubmed..These observations suggested that SATB1 possesses a DNA-binding mode similar to that of the POU-specific DNA-binding domain, which is known to share structural similarity to the four-helix CUT domain. ..
- Britanova O, Akopov S, Lukyanov S, Gruss P, Tarabykin V. Novel transcription factor Satb2 interacts with matrix attachment region DNA elements in a tissue-specific manner and demonstrates cell-type-dependent expression in the developing mouse CNS. Eur J Neurosci. 2005;21:658-68 pubmed..In the Lbx1 mutants Satb2 expression is greatly reduced. We suggest that Satb2 may regulate differentiation of subsets of neurons at the level of higher order chromatin structure via binding to MARs. ..
- Beyer M, Thabet Y, Muller R, Sadlon T, Classen S, Lahl K, et al. Repression of the genome organizer SATB1 in regulatory T cells is required for suppressive function and inhibition of effector differentiation. Nat Immunol. 2011;12:898-907 pubmed publisher..Our data support the proposal that inhibition of SATB1-mediated modulation of global chromatin remodeling is pivotal for maintaining T(reg) cell functionality. ..
- Townson S, Dobrzycka K, Lee A, Air M, Deng W, Kang K, et al. SAFB2, a new scaffold attachment factor homolog and estrogen receptor corepressor. J Biol Chem. 2003;278:20059-68 pubmed..Our findings suggest that evolutionary duplication of the SAFB gene has allowed it to retain crucial functions, but also to gain novel functions in the cytoplasm and/or nucleus. ..
- Gong H, Wang Z, Zhao G, Lv X, Wei G, Wang L, et al. SATB1 regulates beta-like globin genes through matrix related nuclear relocation of the cluster. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009;383:11-5 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that SATB1 regulates beta-like globin genes at the nuclear level interlaced with chromatin and DNA level, and emphasize the nuclear matrix binding activity of SATB1 to its regulatory function. ..
- Sheehan Rooney K, Pálinkášová B, Eberhart J, Dixon M. A cross-species analysis of Satb2 expression suggests deep conservation across vertebrate lineages. Dev Dyn. 2010;239:3481-91 pubmed publisher..Moreover, expression of zebrafish satb2 in the anterior neurocranium supports the utility of the anterior neurocranium as a simplified model of amniote palatogenesis. ..
- Hassan M, Gordon J, Beloti M, Croce C, Van Wijnen A, Stein J, et al. A network connecting Runx2, SATB2, and the miR-23a~27a~24-2 cluster regulates the osteoblast differentiation program. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:19879-84 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we have established a regulatory network with a central role for the miR cluster 23a?27a?24-2 in both progression and maintenance of the osteocyte phenotype. ..
- Huang Y, Fan X, Qiu F, Wang Z. Genomics of hepatitis B virus-related hepatocellular carcinoma and adjacent noncancerous tissues with cDNA microarray. Chin Med J (Engl). 2011;124:2057-64 pubmed..This study provided the gene expression profile of HBV-related HCC and presented differential expression patterns of SATB-1, TM4SF-1 and ST-14 between cancerous and noncancerous tissues in patients with HBV-related HCC. ..
- Dobreva G, Chahrour M, Dautzenberg M, Chirivella L, Kanzler B, Farinas I, et al. SATB2 is a multifunctional determinant of craniofacial patterning and osteoblast differentiation. Cell. 2006;125:971-86 pubmed..Thus, SATB2 acts as a molecular node in a transcriptional network regulating skeletal development and osteoblast differentiation...
- Cai S, Han H, Kohwi Shigematsu T. Tissue-specific nuclear architecture and gene expression regulated by SATB1. Nat Genet. 2003;34:42-51 pubmed..We propose SATB1 as a new type of gene regulator with a novel nuclear architecture, providing sites for tissue-specific organization of DNA sequences and regulating region-specific histone modification. ..
- Li Q, Chen Z, Xu J, Cao X, Chen Q, Liu X, et al. Overexpression and involvement of special AT-rich sequence binding protein 1 in multidrug resistance in human breast carcinoma cells. Cancer Sci. 2010;101:80-6 pubmed publisher..These data provide new insights into the mode by which breast tumors acquire the MDR phenotype and also imply a role for SATB1 in this process. ..
- Shukla S, Sharma H, Abbas A, MacLennan G, Fu P, Danielpour D, et al. Upregulation of SATB1 is associated with prostate cancer aggressiveness and disease progression. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e53527 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that SATB1 has ability to promote prostate cancer aggressiveness through epithelial-mesenchymal transition. ..
- Nayler O, Stratling W, Bourquin J, Stagljar I, Lindemann L, Jasper H, et al. SAF-B protein couples transcription and pre-mRNA splicing to SAR/MAR elements. Nucleic Acids Res. 1998;26:3542-9 pubmed
- Britanova O, de Juan Romero C, Cheung A, Kwan K, Schwark M, Gyorgy A, et al. Satb2 is a postmitotic determinant for upper-layer neuron specification in the neocortex. Neuron. 2008;57:378-92 pubmed publisher..Satb2 therefore is required for the initiation of the UL1-specific genetic program and for the inactivation of DL- and UL2-specific genes. ..